Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Miles or Dr. Schmitt patients

Shawna... what ever happened about the card? Are you still on for Monday?? Girl don't leave us hanging like this! lol

Girl if you only knew! I have no idea what to do, I am so frustrated I could cry! Okay before my vacation they told me 5 days of 5 hours. Well I called Dr. K Schmitt's office yesterday to see what could be done, well they told me to call Midsouth and have them send what they had. So I did. Well no one called me back. So I called Dr. Schmitt's office back this morning. Of course the girl I have been talking to was not there. They said that they would have someone else call me back. Well I finally broked down and emailed Neaomi and explained to her that I was extremely frustrated and that I needed to know what was the absolute last day I could have this to her before they would postpone my surgery. She emailed me back and told me that she had also called Dr. Schmitt's office and they were supposed to call her back. Well about 30 minute's later Dr. Schmitt's office called me back saying that I was not compliant according to the machine. I told her that I have done exactly what they told me too and it is not my fault that there was a problem with the card and I was tired of being treated like I was lying about it. She now says that I need to do it for 7 days for 7 hours a day. I explained to her that there was no way with my schedule to get in 7 hours a night (Really there is not - I go to bed around 10:30 if I am lucky and get up at 4am). So she says that its the rules and that is what Dr. Scmitt's wants and I told her that they told me 5 days with 5 hours and now they are changing everything. She said that she would talk to Neaomi and Dr. Schmitt and call me back. I bet they don't call me back. It wouldnt be so bad if I hadn't done what I was asked to do. I guess if they say I am not compliant then they will postpone my surgery and I will be forced to get a 2nd opinion from another sleep dr. Sorry so long, just venting....

Girl I would be HOT also!! That is nonsense!! Did they diagnos you with it before giving you the machine? Are you self pay? I'm just not understanding all the run around. I had to do the sleep study and didn't have it. My local sleep doctor wrote a note saying I didnt have it. But all that was before it was sent to BCBS for approval. So if you are using insurance, how will they get it approved that soon? And if I were you and had to start over, I would definently go to another doctor. That's CRAZY!!! Sorry for your frustration. Keep us updated!!

Somehow, I feel Neaomi is going to be the hero in all this :lol:. I assume you've told her the whole story, start to finish? Perhaps if you keep in contact with her, you'll find out if anyone at Dr. KS/MidSouth are actually doing anything about this. :unsure::cursing::huh2:

Shawna,

I would also let Naomi know exactly what you have told us... you were COMPLIANT with it for the 5 days like they required and you can't help it that the stupid machine malfunctioned. I would also let it drop that if this can't be resolved somehow that you will be forced to go elsewhere (of course, very kindly and very broken-hearted-like).

AND, if all else fails, I visited 4 different doctors in the Bham area before making my decision so I can try to answer any questions about them that you may have if it comes down to that and you are interested! :unsure:

Hang tough, girlie!

Can I just say that all of you are totally AWESOME!! It is so nice to feel like I have someone on my side.

Update

First I got an email from Neaomi saying that there were not enough hours on the CPAP machine and that they would have to reschedule my surgery - I was HOT!

So...

I talked with Jessica at Dr. K Schmitt's office this afternoon and she agreed to let me take the card to midsouth on Friday (Im taking the machine too - just in case). She said that she would let Dr. Schmitt what was going on. She also found the note that said that they only wanted 5 days with 5 hours - She would also bring that up to the dr.

So...

I emailed Neaomi back and asked if I got the release on Friday - could I still do this on 5/6. She emailed me back tonight and said that would be fine, but she had to have it by Friday.

I am a BC/BS pay. The sucky part is I work for St. Vincent's and I can only use St. Vincent's for the surgery cuz its their insurance. So I am kind of limited to Dr. Miles and Schmitt for the lap band.

Word of advice to anyone looking at this and going to use Dr. Miles or Dr. Lee Schmitt for their lap band. Do not use Dr. Kim Schmitt for their sleep study. I recommend you use a person not directly related to the practice to get a more fair evaluation.

So everyone please keep your finger's crossed that they will give me my release for surgery.

=)

There is light at the end of the tunnel! lol. I wish you the best with this!! What a hastle!!!

Good luck Shawna! I really hope it works out for you to get it done Monday. Keep us updated!!

Edited by Savedbygrace

YES, definitely let us know! I will keep you in my prayers that it all comes together so that they won't have to change your date.

These are the types of things that are totally unneccessary and SUCK!! :smile::lol: It kinda makes me angry and it's not even me! :biggrin2:

Geeze Louise! Surely to goodness everyone is on the same page now and will get this straightened out for you!!! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and hoping all goes well. Keep us posted!

Karen, my co-worker (and LBT lurker) had her surgery this morning. Her husband called me about 8:15 and said Dr. Schmitt had just told him she was out of surgery and everything went just fine :biggrin2::biggrin2:. They were going to let him go back to recovery as soon as she was awake. They had to be there at 5:15 this morning, so a pretty quick turn around! I'm so proud of her, she was a little nervous I think. She's the one who's been researching weight loss surgery for several years, now. She got me on this path and I have her to thank. I am so glad we're both doing something good for our health!

Send my congrads to her! I'm leaving in a few to have Dr. Schmitt take these dang staples out! Praise God! Dr. Miles did the surgery but is off today. Hope it don't hurt too bad but looking forward to a GOOD nights rest!

Congrats to your friend Di!! I think it is great that you will have someone right there with you banded. I do not have any co-workers with the band.... yet! I am sure that when I have mine there will be others, a lot of people do not realize that BCBS pays for it yet.

Wow Wendy! 1 week already! I hope all goes well at your appt. Keep us updated!

Okay now my update!

Looks like my surgery will be postponed.... You are not going to believe this! I took my card (with machine - just in case) to Midsouth this morning for the download. She prints it out and makes a copy for me, doesnt really say anything, so I am asking her about the data. Then she tells me that it is only showing 1 day of usage!!!!!! So WRONG! I told her there has to be a mistake. She shows me the bar graph and it shows where the machine was on everyday, but only used the first day! I told her that is impossible, because I have used it EVERYDAY just like I was supposed to. She said that they data showed otherwise - by this time I am in tears because I have honestly done everything I am supposed to do and now faulty equipment is standing in my way. She did test the machine because I told her that the power had went out yesterday and it must have kicked the machine on, because it was running by itself when I got home from work yesterday and I thought it was supposed to cut off without the negative pressure. She tested it and ran it for 5 minutes and it never cut off. She still said that there was nothing wrong with the machine, but I insisted she send it back to the manufacturer, because there is something wrong with it.

I left there AGAIN in tears and extremely upset. I get in the car and call Jessica at Dr. Schmitt's office and explain to her what has happened and I think it pretty obvious that I was very distraught. She said that she would talk to Dr. Schmitt and Neaomi and call me back. I still haven't heard from her and when I do, I don't expect there to be good news. So who knows when this will happen.

Anyways I talked to my husband a few minutes ago and it made me feel better because he knows that I have been compliant (it just feels like they think I am trying to pull one over on them).

I hope everyone has a nice weekend!!

=)

Shawna

Oh, Shawna. I'm so sorry :). I know you are so frustrated, just know we're behind you! Just keep thinking of the goal, all of this will be behind you soon. Easier said than done, I know, but it's all I can offer at this point :thumbup:....

Just heard from Karen's husband, they are on the way home. He said she's getting around very well, but she's a little nauseous. That's what scares me the most! Last time I was put under, I was extremely nauseous. I thought they had stuff for that these days. Oh, well.....

Gosh Shawna I know you must be very frustrated!!! Have you heard back from them? That is outrageous! I know it's been a struggle for you but try to look at is at when it's the time God wants you to go through with it.. it WILL happen! You'll be banded and loosing soon!

I went in and Dr. Schmitt took my staples out. No problems at all! It stung but VERY little. I'm so glad they are out now!! I made an appt for June 5th for my first fill. Gosh after the day I've had today, that seems like forever. I've been starving all day! It's going to be a long 5 weeks. Maybe it will get better when I can eat mushies.

Glad to know that Karen is on her way home..well.. by now she's probably home. Give her our well wishes.

I'm not sure if they give you meds for nausea while your asleep or not but if you've had problems with it, I would tell the anesthesiologist when he comes in to talk to you before surgery. After the morphine and I was still having pain, she was about to give me liquid lorcet and I told her that it makes me nausated without wood so she gave me something in the IV before I took that. SO TELL THEM!!!!!!!!