Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hampton Roads/Peninsula thread

Where are you having your surgery? Portsmouth Navel??

I am retired military and have Tricare Prime. I went to my PCM at Ft. Eustis and told them of my interest in the LB surgery. That was last spring and on Feb 25 I had my surgery at Portsmouth Naval Hospital. You will need to first check in with your PCM and see about a referral to Portsmouth. I think the Bariatric Center there is pretty overwhelmed with surgery requests but you have to check it out. Go to the hospitals website and see if they have more info for you. BTW, Portsmouth did an awesome job and were very easy to work with. I would highly recommend them.....

Hi Vermillion, How are you doing?

Hello everyone - I'm getting banded Monday. I've lost only 7lbs so far, but looking forward to getting the surgery part behind me so I can move on and get this all started. :rolleyes:

LifeStartsNow, I was pretty nervous just before I had my surgery, and it all went very well!! It was so great to get that part off my mind! Anyway, just wanted to wish you well!

Hi Vermillion, How are you doing?

Hi Luv,

I'm doing great I've lost 12 pounds since my last visit to WLSC. I still have soreness but overall I'm doing really good.:thumbup: I am feeling a little left out though... :) I never got my realize card or some of the other things they said I'd get after surgery. I'd love to be tracking everything.. but well I'm hoping I'll be able to get it next week. It was a weird day at Careplex when I had it done. There was a wreck outside and the lights went out for like an hour I think... I'm blaming that for me having to call the WLSC to get my pain meds. It was sad I was being discharged without anything.. The nurse I had seemed to not care... I just didn't think on it at the time but now I'm a little upset about it. Of course the nurse is Sentara's fault.. He should have been glad my sister, the Nurse, wasn't there she would have had his head... might have been funny though.. Wow I'm talking a lot.... Well I hope you're doing well.... all of you in Hampton Roads as well.

Wendy

Hi LifeStartsNow,

I was nervous too.. But it was weird.. I knew I was making the right choice so I felt nervous and calm. I'm sure your experience will be as unique to you as mine was to me. I have a lot of family support so that helped me. Plus just believe in yourself. You have the right idea already... Life Starts Now.. it's a change.. trust me I didn't have a preop diet so I'm not loving the liquid diet, but I know this is what I have to do to be healthy and I'm doing it.

It will work out great... and You'll look back with a smile.:)

Wendy

Hi Vermillion, You'll get your realize card, etc.. at your post op visit. Did you have Dr. T? He doesn't give his patients the realize card, or the Protein package etc.. until your post op visit. You should get it next week. I can't believe they didn't give you pain meds though. How strange. The nurses at the Careplex are a little strange. I found that they were almost giving me dirty looks for doing what I was doing. One of them said "are you nervous" I said yes, why? She said, because after all this if you're scared maybe you'll take care of yourself better. hahahahahahahah I was like "ok then" I thought that was really rude, but whatever!! I thought about mentioning it to Dr. T, but figured it wasn't worth it. What a wench!

But.. forgetting your pain meds? That's just unacceptable. Hope you got them now. Every day will get better and better. The liquid diet was hard!

LifeStartsNow, you'll be in my thoughts all day tomorrow. GOOD LUCK! Welcome to bandland!

Hey Luv,

I heard about the Protein pack at post op Danni told me that when I was finding out about the pain meds.. and Yes I have Dr T. He's awesome I was so relaxed about the surgery because I knew I was in good hands. I'm glad I wasn't the only one, the nurses where looking at me funny too.. I had one when waiting at preop she was awesome. Then there were two that took me in they were nice and telling me to visit after ..... Thank God no one said you have such a pretty face.. i hate that.. I'm beautiful currently thank you..... off my soap box.. You know we can complain to the hospital. They have standards of patient care.. (sister is a nurse) I do thank you for the info though I was kinda rushed though my insurance came back quick. So I had two weeks to get ready for surgery and I must have missed all that info.

Hope you're having a great day! :confused:

Wendy

LifeStartsNow, I was pretty nervous just before I had my surgery, and it all went very well!! It was so great to get that part off my mind! Anyway, just wanted to wish you well!

Thanks so much Diane for your reply, I needed it. :smile:I truly was so very very nervous, felt a little selfish, a little ashamed, and a little empowered. I saw your reply last, befor I got up to catch a 5:50 flight - that I almost missed. I was actually ready , truly going to just give up the way there. My husband and I had just watched on CNN the drug violence specifically in Tijuana so I was afraid of that too. At the airport, I got held back by security, even later, so I was calm knowing my fate was sealed and this wasn't going to happen, but wouldn't u know they were waiting on me. So I just got on the plane and decided I could just hop a flight right back home from the 1st stop in Pittsburg. My seat assigned was next to this poor, very large lady who I had to really squeze next to, I tried to might light of it to put her at ease. The stuardess, then came by and moved me to another seat. I felt so bad for her. And it made me thing that this is exatly why I'm doing this. So I just decided to stay on and get on the next flight to SanDiego. If at anytime I felt unsafe, I had no qualms just jumping on a plane and going right back home! :)

I was a little frighted but somehow also felt safe crossing the border b/c of all the men with automatic rifles and black scarves and camoflage. But we just drove on past.

I got to the to the hotel, very nice Mariott, got to the OCC the next day, all were as nice as everyone on these boards say they are. I ended up being last - the waiting was hard - but it was so quick. Met some lovely women just like me and the funniest 2 sistes from Ohmaha there to get a fill. They really put me at ease. The nurse who saw how nervous I was even masaaged my neck and back muscles. :blush:Wow - it was a gesture of empathy and kindess. I learned I weighed 224 down from 236 1wk and 2 days ago, doing the 3 protien shakes per day and all greens. I know its mostly Water.

So this morning, I'm back at my hotel. I feel good - considering I've eaten absolutely nothing in 2 days except Water and a popsicle. I'm drinking coffee now b/c I think that's why I had a splitting headache after the surgery.

Sorry for the long post, but can you believe, Dr. Ortiz' mom actually stopped by and hugged all the patients? She was so sweet. And I really liked talking with Dr Ortiz. He is as charasmtatic as everyone says - but he's grounded - oh and wears black calvin klien underwear under his scrubs - for all those out there who want to know! LOL

My incisions really do hurt - but only if I move. I need some sort of band around my waist to kind of protect them, I feel like. As I'm typing this, Im holding a pillow against my stomach.

Well thank you again for the support - I'm amazed at just how much I depend on it from everyone on this board who has reached out to me via a reply or wish of good luck. Good karma feels great. thank you!:biggrin:

LifeStartsNow, you'll be in my thoughts all day tomorrow. GOOD LUCK! Welcome to bandland!

Luv - thank you so much for your post. You've been supportive of me from the beginning. I think your positive vibes must have made a big difference since it did go so very well and as so very close to not happenig at all. I appreciate you kindess and support so much. I just can't tell you how much I appreicate you!:biggrin: You are an angel!

I am just starting the process. I just got my referral from Tricare Prime and my seminar is scheduled next Wedsnesday so if anyone can give me any insite as to what I need to have done prior to surgery that would be great.

lifestarts now, so glad everything went alright for you. My goodness! you sure DID have quite a journey there! Men with automatic rifles, black scarves & cammo.... :thumbup: So glad you're home and posting! Welcome to bandland :tt1: