Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hampton Roads/Peninsula thread

Terri,

I live in Gloucester also, near the Courthouse. I'm a transplant from Va Beach through marriage. Been here about 6 years. Its okay, but I miss being close to shopping and such. With gas prices I try to combine trips so I miss being able to just run to the mall at the drop of a hat.

I think you had posted that you know a couple of other people in Gloucester who have had lapband. Are they sisters by chance? If so I met them one day when I was getting a fill.

We should try to start a Gloucester support group of something :)

Carla

tharris - welcome!

I used to live in Gloucester. North end -- almost to woodscross roads right off 17.

:cry_smile: Gina

Gina,

Where do you live now? I was just catching up on this thread and saw a note from a while back asking how I was doing.

I'm doing so-so. Weight loss is slow. I seem to keep plateauing, lose a few pounds, plateau, lose a few. Its a pattern.

Unfortunately, I am not as dilligent as I should be on my diet. I eat things I shouldn't (mainly carbs). It is a limited amount, but they are still there. Also I can't really get down veggies too much so now I'm dealing with Constipation.< /p>

I can't quite figure it out though. One day I can eat almost normal and think maybe it is time for a fill because I don't feel restriction and then the next day (or few) I'm as tight as a drum and can't get hardly anything down.

It is very frustrating, even more so because the scale is not moving as fast as I would prefer, but as a friend said, at least it is not a gain. That is so true, but I am at the lowest weight I always seem to get to and it is like my body is absolutely refusing to budge. :)

Carla

Terri,

I live in Gloucester also, near the Courthouse. I'm a transplant from Va Beach through marriage. Been here about 6 years. Its okay, but I miss being close to shopping and such. With gas prices I try to combine trips so I miss being able to just run to the mall at the drop of a hat.

I think you had posted that you know a couple of other people in Gloucester who have had lapband. Are they sisters by chance? If so I met them one day when I was getting a fill.

We should try to start a Gloucester support group of something :)

Carla

Hi Carla

I'm a transplant too, coming to Gloucester courtesy of the Navy. We have been here just about 20 years now.

Gloucester has sure grown over those years.

The 2 ladies I know that had LB surgery are not related but I have known 1 of them for several years. I know they both have succeeded in their weight loss but are not at their goal weights yet. Their surgeries took place a little over a year ago now. Their experiences motivated me to check into the surgery for myself. Like I previously posted, both my sisters had GB surgery and I could have gone that route as well but feel better about the LB surgery for me.

I think your progress with your weight loss is wonderful. It may not coming off as quick as some other people but it is coming off. Those are some of my fears as well. I have lost as much as 40 lbs in the past and only gone down 1 pant size. Thats pretty darn frustrating. I am pear shaped like my dear Mom and even losing my goal of 80 lbs I know I will still be pear shaped, just a smaller pear :-).

I like your suggestion of a Gloucester support group. Heck it sounds like just between who you know and who I know there are at least 6 of us right there who have gone through the LB surgery. Lets see what we can come up with!

Oh, by the way, I live just south of the courthouse, in the neighborhood behind Ken Houtz Chevrolet on Rt 17. So I am pretty centralized in the county as well.

Good to hear from you, keep in touch!

Terri

Hi all

I just read through this thread again and noticed not too much being mentioned about exercising from many people. What do you all do for exercise? I got a exercise bike for Christmas and have started to get on it every day for at least 30 minutes.

Looking forward to Feb 25!!!!!!!

Terri

Hi Beth! I remember being (kind of) where you are today. Trying to do all of the research, trying to be as informed as possible. Knowing that "something had to give". I was morbidly obese and was scared to death of diabetes. I wanted to be proactive. So I went to the WLSC in NN and attended the seminar. I proceeded through the rest of requirements. I was banded Oct. 31, 07. I lost 45lbs and was feeling fantastic (in the first five months) then I got complacent and started straying from the band rules. I've since gained 3 lbs and am here to tell you that this is not a fix-it-all, all by itself. You have to work too. I found that I could eat some of the foods I had loved (sweets, carbohydrates, etc...), then I started to gain weight!!! I had also gotten lacadasical about exercising. Bottom line....YOU will always still have to be the one in charge of your results. Watching what you eat and exercising. It helps tremendously (the band)...and it is also a big change in your life. I still feel, even though I don't have the successes to report that others have, that it was the right decision for me. I am presently at that second phase: got banded, lost weight, started eating whatever I wanted and stopped exercising, gained weight, and finally: start exercising AGAIN, and start trying to eat right again. The band is not some magical answer all. It WILL help. And no doubt has helped hundreds!!! Just realize, it is a helpful "tool"...you still have to stay away from those sweets and carbs and exercise!!! OOPs! was I preaching? I didn't mean to be. I just wanted to add to your information gathering. The best of luck to you on your journey. For the record, I went through the WlSC of NN with Dr. Clark. All my experiences with them, and him, have been positive. Good luck to you, in your Quest for a healthier, happier you.

Hi everybody! I'm back on the "band wagon" for the new year. I didn't gain any weight over the holiday, but didn't lose any significant amount either. I see Emily, the nutritionist, tomorrow and I know she won't be happy with me. I haven't journaled my foods and haven't really been doing much of anything other than *trying* to watch my portion sizes. The grazing, Cookies, candies, and eggnog has not been helpful either. YIKES!

Hey thread. I decided to post on here because I got banded over Christmas break here in Dover, DE but I attend school at Hampton University. Anyone from that area?!

Gina,

Where do you live now? I was just catching up on this thread and saw a note from a while back asking how I was doing.

I'm doing so-so. Weight loss is slow. I seem to keep plateauing, lose a few pounds, plateau, lose a few. Its a pattern.

Unfortunately, I am not as dilligent as I should be on my diet. I eat things I shouldn't (mainly carbs). It is a limited amount, but they are still there. Also I can't really get down veggies too much so now I'm dealing with Constipation.< /p>

I can't quite figure it out though. One day I can eat almost normal and think maybe it is time for a fill because I don't feel restriction and then the next day (or few) I'm as tight as a drum and can't get hardly anything down.

It is very frustrating, even more so because the scale is not moving as fast as I would prefer, but as a friend said, at least it is not a gain. That is so true, but I am at the lowest weight I always seem to get to and it is like my body is absolutely refusing to budge. :wink_smile:

Carla

I live now in Chesapeake - still just off Rt17 - about 6 miles from the North Carolina line.

I haven't lost anything since Oct of 07 -- actually I have gained 50 lbs.

I just started the 5 day pouch test to get back on track and so far so good!

It is good to hear you are doing well!

I just started the 5 day pouch test to get back on track and so far so good!

Hey Gina, what is the 5 day pouch test?

Hey Gina, what is the 5 day pouch test?

Surgical Weight Loss 5 Day Pouch Test

And the journal is helpful - great outline of the program:

http://www.5daypouchtest.com/tools/PouchTestJournal.pdf

Days 1 & 2 - liquid Proteins: The first two days are all liquids. You can have as many low-carb Protein Shakes as you like

to satisfy hunger or cravings. In addition drink at least six 8-ounce glasses of Water each day. The purpose of all liquids is to break

any snacking, grazing or processed carbohydrate habits. In addition the liquids will work to cleanse your system and prepare you for

the following three days. Try to reduce your caffeine intake as well, but do not stop caffeine cold turkey or you will feel sick and

frustrated potentially losing the desire to continue with the pouch test.

Day 3- Soft Proteins: Protein Recommendations: canned fish (tuna or salmon) mixed with lemon and seasoned with salt and

pepper, eggs cooked as desired seasoned with salt pepper and/or salsa, fresh soft fish (tilapia, sole, orange roughy), baked or

grilled, and lightly seasoned. This starts your program with "soft" Protein. Measure your portion (1 cup volume or 4-6 ounces weight)

and eat only until you feel full, not overfull. Remember, no water for 30 minutes before or after you meal, and no fluids with your

meal. We are going back to the beginning and fluids will prevent you from feeling the pouch. If you need to add a bit of Miracle Whip

or Mayonnaise to the canned fish I understand, but keep it to a minimum so the meat is not too moist. One reason we lose the sense

of tightness in our pouch is that we eat "slider foods" - foods that are too moist and do not stay in the pouch very long, they slide right

through the stoma.

Day 4- Firm Proteins: Protein Recommendations: ground meat (beef, turkey, lamb) cooked dry and lightly seasoned, shellfish,

scallops, lobster steamed and seasoned only with lemon, salmon or halibut steaks, grilled and lightly seasoned. By now you should

be experiencing that familiar tightness that will reassure you that your pouch is working. Remember to drink plenty of water between

meals. Take some time to meditate and rediscover the wonder of your pouch. Often we don't like that uncomfortable tightness of the

pouch, which is why we gradually move toward slider foods that don't make us uncomfortable. It is always my preference to eat moist

protein so I don't get uncomfortable, but this allows me to consume more than I should. Rediscovering the pouch with this 5-day plan

reminds me of how the tool really works. I hope by now you are rediscovering your tool and enjoying the hope and excitement

because your pouch still works..

Day 5- Solid Proteins: Protein Recommendations: white meat poultry cooked dry and lightly seasoned, beef steak (if

tolerated) grilled or broiled. Remember to chew, chew, chew. Measure your portion (4-6 ounces) and eat only until you feel your

pouch tighten. Remember, only 15 minutes per meal, so you'll have to work fast to chew your food completely. By now you should be

out of any carb cycle you were in and perhaps you have lost a pound or two. You will have new confidence in your pouch and your

ability to work the tool for your health and emotional well being.

Thanks for the info Gina, that pouch test is really intense...But I agree with using it to see just how much your band is still working. Yeah, slider foods....I think I know all about them! LOL!

Hi Gina, Great to see you! Good to see this thread is finally picking back up for the New Year. This must be our year!!GOOD FOR YOU doing the 5 day pouch test. It does look intense. I don't know if I could go back to those liquids.

Hi all, welcome to the new year! EEEK! I still don't have full restriction. I keep thinking something is wrong with me. I'm at 7cc in my 9cc band, and 3 1/2 months out. I feel like I'll be to my max fill in my band by 6 months, and not have lost my weight. Does anyone else feel like that. That is my biggest fear. I still don't have full restriction at 7cc. Or to the "Sweet Spot" as everyone talks about. I still feel like a lot of this is will power and obsessive exercise. I did great over the Holidays. Didn't cheat much food wise, but did have some wine with family a few days. Never made those Christmas Cookies, so I didn't graze on that stuff.

I had my first challenge this past Sat. night with eating, when a friend invited us to dinner. I haven't told anyone I was banded other than a couple immediate family members, and one friend. This friend has us over and couldn't have made the worst possible food for being banded. UGH! For starters was Italian wedding Soup. The bowl was enourmous!!! Full of meatballs. I ate the Soup, and was incredibly stuffed. It was a full meal sized bowl. Then she brought these Adult Grilled cheese sandwiches made of Italain bread and all kinds of bad stuff. She got the recipe off the family channel. I saw them come to the table and about croaked, thinking... I can't eat ANY of that. Plus, I was stuffed from the soup. Then... that's not all... She brought out these Italian sausages wrapped in pizza dough. She called them pigs in a blanket. I think she made everything she saw on the food network that day. Oh, and to top it all off.... I had brought a bottle of wine, and she didn't open it, but made these Kaluah heavy cream chocolate liquor drinks. OK.... How in the world do you get around a situation like this when you haven't told anyone you were banded. I did say I was dieting, ate the soup, and picked at a tiny bit of sausage from the pigs in a blanket, and pushed the grilled cheese around on my plate before my husband finally came to the rescue saying "I'll help you with some of that, I'm still hungry" THANK HEAVENS FOR HUSBANDS! Anyway. I want to know how to handle this situation next time. I don't want to be rude and not eat what they make, but.... I felt like she thought I didn't like it. I WAS JUST STUFFED! OMG. The bowl of soup was enormous! Any advice for next time? Again, food could not have been much worse than that for a dieter. EEK!

Also, how many calories should we actually be eating in a day?

Sorry for the book! ha ha

Welcome back everyone and to the newbies. Let's keep this thread alive this year! It's great support.

Terri, I exercise every day as well. Either on my elliptical, or my Turbo jam aerobic tape. It's an awesome tape by the way if anyone is interested. It's by Beach Body. beachbody.com They are awesome!

Hello all, I'm also going through the WLSC in Newport News. I'm scared again after reading Gina's post. I know this is just a tool, but I just have such high hopes that this is going to be the answer for me. Good luck to you Gina with getting back on track. I'm waiting for insurance approval now and was told that I could look at a 3 to 4 week surgery date. I live in Smithfield and will be attending the Support Group meeting this Thursday night. I hope to get some good info then too.....

I am so sorry -- I do not mean to scare anyone.

I am a special case (no no not a head case - lol)

The thingy at the top of the stomach that says - okay I am full -- well mine is broke - there is a small % of us that is the case -- so we don't get the satisfied felling. When I eat - stomach get's full then the esophogus then STUCK, PAIN, etc.... So I stop when I start to feel uncomfortable.

It takes good old fashion will power.

BUT --if I didn't have the band - I would have gained back 100lbs plus maybe 20 more. So I am still thankful!!!!!!

And being almost 2 years out (april anniversary) and to say I kept 50-60 lbs off is amazing!

I just need to stay focused and not think just because I have a band I can eat as I want as much as I want. :lol:

Please -- NO FEAR -- it is a wonderful TOOL.