Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hampton Roads/Peninsula thread

Harley, Thank you so much for all your support today. You gave me some great ideas! I had a great day today.

Hey luvmy2dogs. I'm going to Dr. Terracina (in the process of getting all my insurance reqs now). I have only met him at the seminar. Do you like him? Did he require the presurgery diet? I got the feeling at the seminar that he was more of a fan of gastric bypass but maybe it was just me...

Hi, Welcome! Yes, I like Dr Terracina a lot. I don't think he's more of a fan of gastric bypass. I think he is very much for the lapband. That is mostly what he does. I think much of it depends on how much weight you have to lose too. He told me once, that a band is more for people that need to lose 100-115 lbs. People needing to lose substantially more are recommended to gastric. They say lap doesn't give you the same amt. of weight loss as gastric. But... I have seen otherwise. My dad was petrafied of doing gastric, and he had over 200 lbs to lose. He chose lapband, and lost 180 lbs. One of the biggest reasons people choose the band is because it is so safe and much easier to recover from. Gastric bypass scared the crap out of me. That's not to say it's not right for some, it just wasn't my choice. Good Luck. I know you'll do great. I'm still on liquids, and I'm starving. hahahhahhaa Looking forward to some mushys. Where are you from.

Oh, and no, he does not require the pre surgery diet. He recommends it, but did not require it for me. I've talked with many others who did not have to do the pre surgery diet either. I was so happy about that, because I went on a cruise the week before my surgery. Needless to say, I ate a lot!

I am in Yorktown. I went to my family doctor today and he said he would be happy to write me a referral (yay!). I did my computer test a couple of weeks ago and I have my psych eval and nutritionist visit on 10/1. That should complete what I need to do to submit to insurance, I am not sure maybe I have to meet with Dr. T first? My insurance says I have coverage, but I have not been with my company long so I am hoping they don't tell me no :) I am a single mom and it will be hard enough for me to pay the 10% I have to pay (my insurance will cover 90%) for the surgery, plus the program fee, KWIM?

Hi everybody! I just got my date with Dr. Clark at WLSC to get banded. I'll be banded on Oct 29th! I can't believe it! It's finally going to happen! I'm so excited but nervous at the same time!

I go in for the class on the 14th. Is there anything I'm supposed to be doing before then? They didn't tell me to do a Protein diet or anything, so I'm just curious. I really need to start walking now and getting prepared I think.

I also haven't told my folks yet, I'm probably not going to tell them until about a week or 2 before the surgery, I don't want them to try to talk me out of it.

Congrat's on the new date Bridgett!

Amanda - I sure hope the insurance co-operates! :crying:

Luvmy2dogs - keep up the great work -- I PM'd you back. I forgot to tell you - we got a 2nd dog - she is a corgi -- she is great company for our German Shephard!

Have a great day ALL!

Thanks Gr8!!! :biggrin:

Did y'all do the pre-op liquid diet when going through WLSC? I called the office, but they said it's not "required". I'm curious b/c I'm going on a girls-weekend the weekend before my surgery (been planned for almost a year) and I'm wondering if I'm going to be on a shake diet or if I can eat real food. Do ya think I can "diet" early and then eat that weekend? Surgery is on Weds am, so I'd be able to get in 2 full days of liquids if I did that... what do ya think? I'm prepared to go on my retreat with a case of shakes if I need to, LOL, but just wondering.

Also, did you all get the shakes from the CMH or did you use other shakes but follow the same type of recommended diet?

The pre-op diet is not required buy highly recommended -- I did do it. I used the SmartForme powder shakes. I found the website in my notebook from Dr. T's preop class. Very filling - I mixed with more Water to thin them out some -- I can't even try to use them now - too thick.

The reason I did it -- to shrink the liver and reduce the fat right there where he was working to be most successful and without incidence during surgery.

My liver was still enlarged and he did a biopsy and that came back as fine -- but I am glad I did it -- if not how BIG would my liver would have been --hmmm? I think it also helped me mentally to prepare for eatting after the surgery. But it is an individual choice.

I think it would be fine to diet before, then eat on your special weekend -- and back to the shakes for 2 days.

Thanks, Gr8! That's what I was thinking. I'll ask Dr. Clark but I was thinking about it tonight and wondering (if he says it's ok) if I should do the shakes for breakfast/lunch/snacks, and eat a normal dinner with the girls. We'll be scrapbooking, so I shouldn't get overly hungry. I don't eat as much when I'm busy working on my scrapbooking, LOL.

I am so excited I can't stand it! I think I'm actually going to go by and pay my program fee and get my book tomorrow morning so I can get a jump start on reading it. Plus I might go by CMH and get some of their shakes so I can see if I like them.

I even picked out my medical Bracelet tonight. I haven't ordered it yet, but found one I like.

I would definitely suggest some sort of pre-op diet. They never mentioned it to me and I went to Atlantic City the weekend before my surgery and ate WHATEVER I wanted. During surgery, Dr. T had such a hard time getting around my liver because it was so enlarged that he almost had to stop and not complete the band. Thankfully, he was able to get it done but I ended up with an extra incision that is about 3 inches long so he could get a special tool in to move my liver. He told me I was a tough case but he didn't want to send me home without my band and tell me to lose weight and come back. I don't think you have to go to the extreme of all liquids but I would watch my fat intake until your surgery day.

Good luck, its been the BEST decision of my life!

Sue

Good Morning Va Gals,

Hey Gina, good to see you back! Hope you're well.

I didn't do a preop diet, but I didn't over eat the few days prior either, sometimes I wish I had, LOL. Let your doctor be your guide, if he thinks you need to, he'll tell you so.

It's so great to finally see folks from the Peninsula and Hampton Roads area posting :cursing:.

Dr. T did my surgery, for you new folks, I was his first lapband patient! Dr. Clark didn't start doing lapband until a couple of years later. I love my band, it's the best thing I ever did for ME, my only regret is that it was not available when I was much younger and I could have enjoyed my life as a thinner person.

J, thanks for the update, glad to hear you're doing well, and the mushy stage is soon.

Amanda, good luck on getting your approval.

Bridg, I'm very excited for you, I was so excited, then my date got pushed back another month because the doctor assisting Dr. T., had to reschedule. The month will fly by, just don't over eat, thinking you need to get all the food in before being banded, that just increases the amount you need to lose.

Have a great day everyone :embaressed_smile:.

Good Morning Girls! Great to see this thread hopping! Harley and Gr8, great to see you. I've been getting your messages. Gr8. Congrats on the corgi. I love those dogs. I have two dogs too. I'm a big dog lover.

Brigette: WELCOME ABOARD! Good Luck on your surgery! Enjoy your retreat. I think you'll be fine. Dr. T didn't sound too concerned about the pre op diet, just don't go overboard. I too am a die hard scrapbooker! Maybe we can scrap sometime!

Harley: Hope your friend is doing well! I'm 15 lbs down, and so excited. 2 more days to mushys! HOORAY! The liquids are taking their toll. I'm hungry alot!

One thing that concerned me: While reading my book that WLSC gave me (I've read it like 10 times) it says you should take an hour to drink 1 cup of liquid. GOOD GRIEF! I can drink normally like I did before the surgery? Is there something wrong with me? Is that after your fill or now? I seem to drink normal, and it doesn't bother me. Also, I can get more liquid in now then right after the surgery. I'm assuming that is because the swelling has gone down on the stomach. I seem to get hungry more. Is this normal? I'm looking forward to being able to have real food!

Nice talking to you all! Have a great day!

Hiya Luv! I'm very excited about my surgery! We should get together to scrap sometime. :cry_smile:

I'm thinking I'm going to do a high protein/low carb diet from now until the last 2 weeks before surgery. Then I'll do the liquid except for the evening meals of my retreat (Thurs-Sat nights). But up until then, I'm allowing myself one meal of my favorites per week: italian once, bacon cheesburger once, thai food once, pizza once.... that's pretty much it. Other than those, I'll be low-carbing my way down until time to start liquid diet. The WLSC book doesn't say too much about pre-op diets being *required* but I don't want to go through all that and have a fatty liver so they can't place the band, ya know?

Did any of you buy that blender thingy that they sell on TV? It's a bullet or something like that. I've seen it in Wal-mart and was thinking that it might be great for mixing up shakes with ice or making "mushies" out of other foods.

Bridgette, I bought the bullet. It's AWESOME! I love it. So much easier and less messy than a blender. It's worth the $60. Good luck on the high Protein, low card. I'm sure you'll do great. I went on a cruise the week before my surgery, so I didn't diet at all. I just tried to really not go overboard. My last night of eating (2 days before surgery) I had my favorite meal, steak, and baked potato. It was great. I'm sure you'll be fine eating a dinner with your girlfriends at the retreat. have fun!