Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hampton Roads/Peninsula thread

Hi Life! SO HAPPY! to hear how well everything went so well!!! How are you doing now?? Are you on mushy's yet? Seems like this is about the time you move on. I had my 4th fill Thursday. A little irritated with Dr. T this past week. I'll comment more about that soon. Getting ready to go out for my walk. It's beautiful and 68 today. YEAH!

KEAM: Welcome aboard. pm me if you have any questions at all. I certainly asked a lot on this board when I started my journey. You'll be so happy you made this decision. I'm down almost 61 lbs in 6 months. Dr. T said I was having bypass results. But.. believe me, I have worked for every lb. Restriction has not come easy to me. I had a long talk with Dr. T about this. He said my band is still very loose after 4 fills and 8.4 in my 9cc band. UGH! I feel like the band reject. It has taken so much Fluid to get me to restriction. I exercise every day, and log every thing I put in my mouth. It certainly has not come easy. but.. so worth all of it. I'm off two of my asthma meds, and cholesterol down from 240 to 130. I feel like a different person! You'll do GREAT!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!!

luvmy2dogs, Thanks so much for the encouraging words. Its sounds like even though you are having restriction issues you are doing a great job. What type of exercising are you doing and what is your diet like?? I am so excited. I was having some doubts did some prayer about it and since then I have been getting so much positive feed back from so many different places. I am meeting with Dr. T. on Monday for a one on one just so I can put myself at ease and get some answers to some questions that I have. As time gets closer and once I am banded I will surely like to keep you as a resource person if you don't and I gathering quite a suppport from right here on Lapbandtalk. What band did you get ?? Keep up the great work and I wish well and that should be easy since you are already on the right track.

Hi Keam,

I exercise just about every day. Sometimes I skip Sunday. I vary the things I do. Some days I do my elliptical. Lately I have been running on my treadmill. I started the couch to 5k program. I'm not a runner at all, so that has been a challenge. Other days I do my aerobic tapes, and if it's nice out I walk like 3 miles. My diet is very balanced. It's about 1000-1200 calories a day. I don't cut all carbs like many do, but I do eat those that are whole grain, like wheat bread, and wheat Pasta, and whole grain cereals/oatmeal. I can't live on a diet of just Protein. I am a carb person, and believe that a balanced diet is good for you. Some will disagree, and say you shouldn't eat carbs at all. I feel like if I eat them, but the healthy ones, I wont feel deprived, and will stick to the proper eating. It has worked for me. I don't feel like I'm missing out at all. I'm sticking to what I'm doing. I do log all my food on the realize website, so I can track my calorie intake and my protein intake. Many say they don't track anything and are fine, but like I said... I had little restriction up until now, so I have had to watch everything I put in my mouth. I'm hoping this restriction lasts longer than the last one. This has definitely been just a tool for me, and I've had to struggle with making the proper choices, etc..I have done really well with my weight loss, but even Dr. T said I've done most of it on my own. My band has been very loose. I felt like the band reject. It definitely feels like I have more restriction now more than ever, but it took me to 8.4 cc to get there. 6 1/2 months, and like 4 fills and I'm just getting to my sweet spot (I think, keeping my fingers crossed) at 8.4 cc. A typical day of food for me, would be whole grain cereal/oatmeal for Breakfast, Sometimes a slice of wheat toast with p butter. lunch is typically some protein, maybe lean turkey chicken, lunch meat, etc... I don't usually do too many carbs for lunch. Oh, and I live on rotisserie chicken. hahahah Sometimes I'll have a salad with meat. dinner, I always have protein and veggies. Usually about 4 oz, (before now I had up to 5). and on rare occassion some brown rice, or whole wheat pasta with it. Usually I just do veggies and protein. I have a large glass of milk almost every single night before bed. :-) Like I said.. I eat between 1000-1200 calories a day. A little less since my fill last Thursday. Last night I ate a salad for dinner, and my husband grilled hamburgers on the grill. That was a real treat. I try to stay away from too much red meat. Because I ate my salad first, I was full after 3 small bites of the hamburg. What a shocker that was for me. hahahahah Many have been saying they can only eat 1/2 cup of food, but I never saw it!! lol I know I didn't get my protein in yesterday. They say try to eat your protein first, and usually I'm good with that, but I'm just having full restriction now, so before I didn't have to worry about getting in my protein. hahahah Now I guess I do. It is very important to get that in. I've always been really good with getting my 80 grams or more. I was afraid to get malnourished, or lose my hair, so I've always been strict on the protein part of it. :-) This has been the greatest thing I ever did for myself. Even though it took me longer to get to the good restriction point, it has made an amazing difference in my health. I've come off one of my asthma meds, and my cholesterol is normal. I have never felt better in my life. I would do it all again in a heart beat. It is definitely a life style change. But... if you're willing to make it, and use it as just the tool it is, you'll do great. You've made an important decision in your life, and have taken the first step to a healthy you. GOOD LUCK! You'll do great!

WOW! Sorry for the book. lol :-0

Thank you so much for all the information believe when I say you are truely a blessing from God. At first I felt like I was walking in the fog trying to get to a destination but now I feel like I can actually see where I am going. And soon I will be home just have to jump through a few hurddles first.

I had my one on one with Dr. T. yesterday and I also had my nutrition consult, so I have 2 more appts. to go so far. I have my pysch eval and my medical clearence with my PCM so if all goes well I can have my paper work submitted to Tricare before the end of April and prayerfully have my surgery done by May 21st. Keep my in your prayers that all goes smoothly. I am starting to cut back on my carbs, sweets, fried foods, etc. to prepare for my lifestyle change.

I was banded on Feb 11 by Dr. Fontana at Sentara Norfolk General. I find this forum very good. Another website you might try is www.sentaraweightloss.com and go to the "Support Groups" header, then click on "Online Support Groups", then click on the "Band Support Groups". Anyone can sign up for the online support group.

I went to only the one support group meeting that I had to attend; I too find the drive onnerous. It's a long way to drive to Tidewater from Nags Head for a 1 - 2 hour meeting.

YEA!!!:thumbup: I am so excited to find this thread. I am just beginning to consider this option and am going to the Informational Seminar tomorrow with DH. I have been looking for information on the doctor's and what to expect. I guess now I need to back up and read the thread!

I have been to the seminar, had a one on one with the surgeon,nutrition consult, scheduled for psych eval on Thursday, and my PCM on the 14th of April. Then once all that is complete I can submit my paper work to Tricare and keep my fingers crossed. Congrats on taking the first step to healthier new life.

Okay, I have read the thread now! I guess I should have specified that I was going to the WLSC seminar with Dr. T. I have a friend that goes to him for follow care from GB done before she moved here and recommended him. From all I have read it sounds like it is a good choice.

Luv, thanks so much for your "books"--you have really said a lot of great and thought provoking things.

Something that I am struggling with is how do you decide between a Band vx Gastric Bypass? Or does the dr decide for you? It seems that I am reading that you submit your paperwork to the insurance and then get approved and then get a surgery date and THEN meet with the Dr for the first time??? This seems a bit strange. DH and I have so many questions and concerns. I am certainly leaning towards doing this (still unsure) and think Band would be the way I would go, but really I don't know and need a lot of guidance.

No they will not give you a surgery date until your insurance approves the surgery because they have to have an authorization number before the hospital will let them post it. When I started I wanted the Gastric bypass then I weighed the pos and cons of the both procedures and decided on the Lap Band and then changed my mind again just to FINALLY decide on the Lap Band again and thats where I am.. I was looking for guidence from others and then decided to pray,pray and pray again and let the Lord guide my path. I met with Dr. T for a one on one appt and he agreed with my decision on the Lap Band based on the amount of weight I need to loose and some other factors. So my advice would be to do your reseach, visit different other sites like this one and most importantly pray if you are a believer because it help me relieve the doubt and indecision I was having. So I am just a step ahead of you in this process so I don't have any experience but if I can answer any questions for you I will and again good luck.

Hey all, I'm a Norfolk mom considering LapBand. Glad to have found this forum as it seems to be a great source of info. I am seeing my primary care doctor this week to discuss the surgery. I have a BMI of 41 at the moment and am having chronic skin infections under my belly flap (apron? pannus? none of those words sound too appealing, do they? :eek:). I am pretty certain that LapBand is the right choice for me, now I am just researching how I will get my insurance to cover it.

Congrats on begining your journey to a healthier lifestyle. I am on the same road trying to get banded but if I can be of any help please let me know.

Well, I went to the Informational seminar and I don't qualify (for insurance purposes) at this point. :frown: But I only need about 5 more pounds to push me over the 40 BMI so I will probably have a fun week! :biggrin::beer_yum::cake::(:lurk5: and then go back next week and get reweighed. I went on an empty stomach and was wearing a thin fabric skirt. I will definitely be full and wearing jeans and heavy shoes next time!:wink:

Is this just stupidity at it's finest or what??? I have to gain 5 pounds just get the help I need to loose 100.:blink:

I guess the cleaning of the pantry and freezer will begin tomorrow. I need to get rid of the frozen Girl Scout Cookies and the Ice cream anyway!

I did decide that I want the Band over GB. And apparently Dr. T is using the Relize Band unless you specifiy the Lap Band.