Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why are YOU Fat?

Isn't it amazing how our parents think they help but they cause damage that takes years and years to get past? I have a daughter who is 16, she is a little overweight, but this kid can do physical activity that someone skinnier can't keep up with. She competed gymnastics, she's on a dance competition team, captain of the HS cheer squad, HS basketball, rides horses - you name it she does it. I put my kids in sports as soon as they were old enough to be in them. I didn't make them do something they didn't want to do, I let them choose so they enjoyed it. I made a point to start them out active in their lives because obesity runs in my family. I can't name one person on my dad or my mom's side of the family who are thin. I didn't want them to get teased in school and have something like that say with them the rest of their lives like I did. My son is 18, he's a bean pole no matter how much that boy eats!! I think when I had him he took all my motabilism with him! :purplebananna: I never would take food from them - if we all can't eat right then why should just one? God knows it wouldn't hurt any of us to eat better!

Well, that's my morning input - time to get my butt to work!

Kel

I was a small child until the age of nine. I remember during the summer eating my lunch and then going to the neighbors house and eating again, until mom caught me. When I started 9th grade I was over weight and picked on all the time. That is when I found speed. I lost all the weight but picked up a very very bad habit. When it comes to food that tastes very good to me, it is like a switch, I cannot turn off until I have made myself sick by eating to much. When I married my DH became the cook. Carbs lots of Carbs. After letting myself get to this weight that I am right now I knew I had to take control back.

I know this is a dumb question but what does "DH" stand for? I'm assuming the H is husband, thanks, brandyII

There are plenty of other words that start with D that can describe a husband. LOL With mine it was drunk! There are also dead, dumb, damm, darling, drooling, doopey, deadbeat, and the list goes on...

Edited by sfeiner

There are plenty of other words that start with D that can describe a husband. LOL With mine it was drunk! There are also dead, dumb, damm, darling, drooling, doopey, deadbeat, and the list goes on...

:biggrin: Too true! In my case, to describe my ex would be deadbeat, but my current is definitely darling.:lol:

I could eat sweets and candy all day long. Did alot when I was a kid. But then I got the ol' driver's licence and stopped doing regular exercise. Also add in married to an abusive man for 6 years, so I turned to food to compensate to feel good.

I can remember having a second helping of chili with Beans and rice, when I was seven, I think, and my mother saying, “Your friends are probably already in bed.”

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

She died when I was nine, and I bought my first box of Cookies soon after that, for twenty-five cents. And that’s when my love affair with cookies began. But I was a think child, even though I’d buy bags of cookies whenever I could, which wasn’t often, because I didn’t get an allowance. My father was an alcoholic, and I stuffed myself when I could, because it felt good.

<o:p></o:p>

I moved in with one of my older sisters during my senior year in high school, and had three meals a day, something I didn’t always have at my father’s. But my weight began creeping up when I was in my twenties. I remember weighing 209 pounds, and going to a Gloria Marshall figure salon. I lost thirty pounds, maybe thirty-five, because I was 174, and my sister commented on how little I looked. That was the last time I saw the one hundreds. The next time I became conscious of my weight was when it was 290, and I joined Overeaters Anonymous. I went down to 232 and back up to 286, and had a hysterectomy, when I went down to 263. I know there are other times I yo-yoed, but this is the basic pattern.

About four years ago, I began working with a personal trainer, but I’m not sure how much weight I’ve lost, because I never allowed myself to be weighed until I began considering getting the lap band.

I know a lot of my eating is because of my family life, where I experienced a lot of physical and emotional neglect. My brother called me Fatso, even though I wasn’t big, but like so many, I believed him. One of my sisters called me Brahma, and I always thought it was because she thought I was fat, too, but she told me recently it was because of the way I walked so fast

The last time I went to my doctor’s office, I didn’t ask how much I weigh, but it’s got to be over 331. Guess I just didn’t want to know.

Oh, did I mention that, like so many others, I too snuck food, even when I went to Gloria Marshall, which I did twice, when I was in OA, I ate sugar free stuff, but still had large portions? Denying myself the sweets only caused me to sneak on weekends or hide food in my closet.

Debbi, speaking of sneaking food as a child, I would do this so bad, I would sneak food I didn't even want to eat. I remember being about maybe 4 or 5 and stealing a whole onion from the refrigerator. I have no idea why I did that, but I took it and laid on my bed with it. I stared at it, and my eyes began to Water really bad and sting. I had no idea being that young that onions did that to you.

I don't remember what happened after that, but how weird is that?

Wow great thread!!! Why am I fat? Well I've always been a very thin child until I was around twelve. At that time... the abuse started. I think in my mind I thought that if I gained weight and I wasn't attractive it would stop. I was wrong. Then I just began to hate myself. Who wouldnt? When I finally opened up about my abuse I was pushed aside and called a liar by my family! :cool2:

This started me on a slippery slope of self abuse which, even with lots of therapy and a fantastic supportive husband, continues to this day. I am more aware though and that makes a huge difference for me. I have educated myself a lot in this area and feel that I "understand" but will never really heal from the hurtful experience. At this point I have a very strained relationship with my family and I think it is because they don't really know how to deal with the trauma of it all... or even admit that the family has problems. They are definitly of the mindset that if it isn't talked about it didn't/doesn't happen. :(

So... fat? Yes I have learned some awful skills like overeating, boredom eating and emotional eating. Emotional eating is really my demon that I fight with! :thumbup:

Why am I fat? Wow, great thread. I, like some others, didn't have a very good childhood. My mom wasn't around a lot when I was little and to compensate, I ate. When she was around she would harp on everything I ate, saying stuff like "don't you know bread makes you fat?". I know in her mind that she was trying to keep me from being overweight, but it just made me feel bad and I started sneaking food. We lived with my great-grandmother and one time she had made two pumpkin pies. When they were cooling, I took a fork and ate the center out of both pies! I got chased around the house with a switch for that one! :(

Another time when I was in the 4th grade, one Friday my mom bought like a month's worth of groceries. She and my stepdad went out of town for the weekend. By the time she got back on Sunday, I had eaten pretty much everything she had just bought. I even threw up, but that didn't stop me. I got into so much trouble for that.

As a child and teen, I never learned to eat correctly. In high school, when I wanted to loose weight, I would starve myself. I was athletic and I would exercise like crazy. In the summer, I would gain about 30-40 pounds and then have to loose it all over again when practice started. I've yo-yo'd my entire life. After high school, I got married and stopped exercising. That's when I really started packing on the pounds. I've gained and lost the same 80 pounds numerous times.

I truly believe that mine is an addiction no different from an alcoholic or a drug addict. I do it to medicate myself. Addiction runs wild in my family. My grandmother was an alcoholic as was two of her four children (not my mom, her addiction is food as well), my grandfather gambled, and several of my cousins have issues with alcohol and drugs. I thank God that my addiction was food and not drugs or alcohol. That could have so easily been the case.

I still have issues but I'm working through them. I have been married to a great guy for 15 years. This has given me the stability that I so greatly craved as a child. My children, thank God, are growing up in a stable, loving home with both parents. When I have a bad day, the first thing I think of is food; however, after the band, I'm dealing with it in other ways. I don't think of food as often and I don't seem to want it like I did. I feel so blessed to have been given this great tool. My emotional scars are deep, but I'm working every day to overcome them. It will be something that I have to take one day at a time for the rest of my life.

I have to say I think hormones really are one of the big culprites for me. Also bad habits of snacking didn't help either but I was thin to normal to slightly overweight until I became pregnant at 29 then gained 80 lbs, lost it all though starvation and being very active and kept it off till my last pregnancy at 39 same thing but this time at this age those lbs weren't going anywhere. I lost about 20 of them though daily strenuous activity and Protein diets etc. then my hormones starting up again at I around 46 and I steadiy and rapidly gained weight especially in my stomach and chest till now at age 49. I am uncomfortable and I am about 85-90 lbs. over my ideal BMI. I am waiting on an appeal process right now and praying I will be appoved by my ins. company ...unfortunately I have CIGNA the toughest one around to get an approval from!!!!:laugh:

marg

LilMissBand-Aid, until I got to the end of your post, I was going to ask you if you remember eating the onion. Funny, they never made my eyes Water.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

DebNH, you made me think of my family, who refused to recognize that my father was an alcoholic. They always just said he had a “drinking problem.” And like you, my relationship with one of my sisters is--well, we’re not speaking because she thinks I should have come to see my father when he was dying as a result of his alcoholism.

I have to say I think hormones really are one of the big culprites for me. Also bad habits of snacking didn't help either but I was thin to normal to slightly overweight until I became pregnant at 29 then gained 80 lbs, lost it all though starvation and being very active and kept it off till my last pregnancy at 39 same thing but this time at this age those lbs weren't going anywhere. I lost about 20 of them though daily strenuous activity and Protein diets etc. then my hormones starting up again at I around 46 and I steadiy and rapidly gained weight especially in my stomach and chest till now at age 49. I am uncomfortable and I am about 85-90 lbs. over my ideal BMI. I am waiting on an appeal process right now and praying I will be appoved by my ins. company ...unfortunately I have CIGNA the toughest one around to get an approval from!!!!:laugh:

marg

You know i work with a lady that use to work for cigna and she told me that it was hard to be approved because the Dr's did not say that it was medically necessary on the paperwork. She said that they look for spicific wording and it it did not have that wording they denied it.. so make sure if u can that your Dr's office say that it is medically necessary and u shouldnt have any problems, oh and if u have like sleep apniea or something like high blood pressure that is a plus also..