Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why are YOU Fat?

Lana 24 - I am with you. I avoided pain and my feelings at all cost, and cost it did! The weight was like the icing to seal all those feelings inside of me.

Thank God I am in therapy too. I am slowly letting those feelings out. Peeling layer by layer of past emotion from my very being. When I finally get to the core I will be really a strong and vital me, but it really hard work getting there.

I know that being aware is only a small part of the battle, but with my band I will be ready for WAR!

Lana 24 - I am with you. I avoided pain and my feelings at all cost, and cost it did! The weight was like the icing to seal all those feelings inside of me.

Thank God I am in therapy too. I am slowly letting those feelings out. Peeling layer by layer of past emotion from my very being. When I finally get to the core I will be really a strong and vital me, but it really hard work getting there.

DynamoMini,

How did that third fill go for you? Just curious.

I have no idea why I am fat other than too many calories and not enough expenditure?

That should be a DUH answer but it is not that easy is it?

I don't have any history of family abuse, abnormal relationships...anything which could triger unhealthy relationship with food.

I have always been just under 140 lbs at 5'4" and when I hit that 140 mark it would trigger a panicked and rushed attempt to lose 5 pounds. My comfort zone was anything below 140.

THAT was more than a decade ago.

I did have one breakup ten years ago that I know hurt me and made me sad for a few weeks(normal??). I did notice a weight gain. I crept up to 160 and just didn't care.

This next part will sound unreal but it is the truth for me(and some others??)--- I realized a year later that I was over 200 pounds.

In 98 I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, my levels were within control after about six months. I had no significant weight loss while playing with my dose of Synthroid.

A year or two later I was diagnosed with PCOS. Tried Glucophage and after six months of terrible bathroom visits I stopped taking that.

The two diagnoses at forst gave me relief....therewas a REASON I was fat....a reason why it had become so friggin hard to lose weight.

I know I eat well and do belong and actually go to a gym about 3 times a week. (I have to shake up my routine though because I only walk the tread and do some weights).

In the last 9 years I have lost and gained the same 50+ pounds.

I will not let either of the diagnoses be my reaons for failure. Do they make it harder to lose and keep weight off, YES. Do they make it impossible, NO!

I have journaled(and been told I must be lying) my daily food intake. I have been away with friends and they see what I eat....and no loss.

I think I eat too uch of the right things..I eat too fast.

I'm thinking about LB

I still don't know...

Thanks for reading

Susan

Soozan, your reply struck a chord with me. I am 5'5 and for most of my life also weighed 140. Like you, when I crept up above that, I panicked and dieted until I was back down. No excuse, but getting pregnant is what did it for me. That was my excuse to 'eat for two'; long after the baby was born, I had to keep eating because I was 'nursing' and didn't want the baby to lose any nutrients because I was 'dieting'. Then came baby #2, up over 200, but basically was ok with it. Staying home with 2 babies, thinking about food as my escape (sounds like a cop-out I know), but now my 'baby' turned 20 on the 6th. Time to lose the baby weight and more. Time to take back my life for myself.

Here's the thing about the band (IMHO). The band is a 'tool' that will enable me to be strong when my willpower lets me down. I figure that I will do 90% of the 'heavy lifting' myself, but when I get discouraged, down or frustrated, the band will kick in to help me over the hump.

I'm just SO thankful to be out of bandster hell and not feel hungry (with my stomach growling 85% of the time) ALL the time, that I'm willing and even anxious for things to continue this way.

It is an adjustment getting used to the restriction. I was banded on 10/18 and have not felt any restriction (even after my first fill) until Thanksgiving when I fell into bad habits with the stuffing.

NOW I know what 'BP' <Productive Burp=bringing the food back up> and 'sliming' is. I've experienced the pain first hand and yet, after it faded, did the same thing again. It's a learning process.

I'm committed to doing this because I know it's the right thing for me and my health and I'm so mad at myself for not doing something sooner and for wasting so much time previously. This time is different. Is it the band or is it me? Does it really matter?

Good luck!!

-Becky :ranger:

P.S. Sorry this is so long!!

Marimaru, Your stoy sounds a lot like mine. I can remember when I was about 10. I would take my allowance and go to the store and buy a 6 pack of ice cream treats. I would eat maybe 4 and put the rest in the trash in the alley so noone would know I ate them.

My mom put me on diets also, ALL of the time. My mom and dad sent me to FAT camp when I was 14.

I just LOVE food. I need this thing they call a TOOL. Nothing else has worked for me.

Wow I've been reading this posts for awhile now and I realized that alot of what other ppl are saying is my problem as well with food. I LOVE FOOD SO MUCH!! It's always been there to comfort me when I was down or like someone said on here when you grow up poor the pay days you remember because that's when you got to eat out some where or get an extra treat. :cry

I have been fat most of my life and I do believe it has to do with my biological father and his second wife...I was only 4 yrs old and I remember that if I was eating too slow for them or not eating everything on my plate I would get punished and sent to my room. My father actually called my mama one day and said "if she isnt done by the time we're all done then she doesnt get anymore". My mother screamed at him saying "she is only 4 yrs old and you are a huge man, OF COURSE she isnt going to eat as quickly as you you a**hole!!" So I believe that is where most of my problems started, at a very very young age it was either shovel it all in or go without or get punished. :faint:Then when I hit teenager and I was still gaining weight a little here a little there...my younger brothers made sure to let me know I was a fat a**, and then I had almost everyone at school making fun of me because I was fat. I did have a boyfriend in junior high, but he wanted our relationship kept a secret :angry after that I didnt have any other boyfriends in high school. I was big chested and size 18 at 17 yrs old. Oh yeah forgot to mention my Ex-aunt also had no problems telling me that I had to lose weight. Well both her daughters were in size ZERO clothes so compared to them I was HUGE and she didnt "LIKE" that...so basically I guess you can say the only positive support I got growing up was from my mother and stepdad even though they did give me the nickname Pudgelet! Had to have a breast reduction at the age of 20 because the weight from my breasts was endangering my upper back and shoulders. ;)

I also blame my weight for jumping into a marriage with the first guy after high school that showed interest in me, he was emotionally, verbally, physically and sexually abusive to me and I put up with it because I believed that there was no one else that would want me and I was evidently BLIND AS A BAT FOR 2 1/2 FLIPPING YRS OF MY LIFE. :angry Anyway I finally woke up and kicked him out after he cheated on me with a woman from New York that he met online in a slingo chat! I still say to this day if it wasnt for that woman having sex with my ex that I would probably still be with him. So in a way it was a good thing he cheated it woke me up and I wasnt blind anymore. I met a wonderful man that I'm still with to this very day that actually loves me for me NO MATTER WHAT I LOOK LIKE!! 8 yrs on Thanksgiving day this yr and still going strong:whoo: Found out about 2 yrs ago that I have PCOS and INSULING RESISTANCE :angry and I'm infertile. Fertility pills also added to my weight gain also.

To this day he still says that I'm hot and I dont need to change anything, he said he loves me for me..what's on the inside and the out. Sometimes I sit and think why in the hell is he with me. I mean I look in a mirror and I hate what I see and say to myself I wouldnt have sex with me, why would he want to....My hubby is a little reluctant for me to have this surgery, but I've had to explain to him several times that I'm not doing it to hurt him and that I'm doing it to get sick I'm doing it because I want to get HEALTHY and to be happy with the person I see in pictures and in the mirror instead of this huge blob in photos that makes me sick to my stomach that I LET MYSELF get this damn big. So I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the surgery, I know my hubby's insurance covers it. I'm just scared about the after...I've tried so many things and nothing has worked and I'm just wondering because I've seen all these posts of how long it takes to lose this weight and I'M EXTREMELY IMPATIENT!!! I want it gone like NOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! :help:

Well there is my story boys and girls!! Happy Holidays to all and to all a good morning!!! :ranger:

I am 56 years old and have to say for the first time in a long time, I actually have hope that I can lose and keep off this weight. I'm only a month post op, but I have NEVER lost this much weight this quickly and I still don't have good restriction.

Do the years of previous attempts and failures make me afraid it won't work? Of course, I'm human and I know humans can fail, but this time I really do have hope.

I know the first hurdle is getting it off and then the real challenge of keeping it off will begin. I am hoping my band will work like it has worked for others.

Do I worry about how fast the weight will come off? Hell yes!

But as long as the scale goes down and not up, I am headed in the right direction.

Like "regular" dieting, I am using this recovery time to my fullest advantage and trying to make the best decisions about how much I eat and which food choices I make.

I am trying my best to remember the rules of pushing Protein and Water and chewing well, so when I reach tighter restriction, I'll be ready.

The band is a tool. A hammer is a tool. A hammer cannot do it's job unless the person with the tool in his/her hand uses it right. Same thing with the band.

Why am I obese?

It all started when I was 19 and was put on antidepressants. I went from 150ish to about 230 lbs in about two years.

Whenever I was off of them I would lose weight. I have been on almost every single antidepressant out there, in every class, from old MAOI's and tricyclics to the newer AD's. It took years to deal with my treatment resistant depression.

I managed to take off 50 to get down to a very healthy 180 where I was extremely active. Then my mom and grampa died (mom was 40) and I went back on AD's and from 1999 to now I have gained over 100 lbs.

These pills are horrible. The ones that do work to reduce my appetite make me irritable. The ones that do calm me down and make me functional cause me to get massive cravings for sugar, starches, etc.

On some medication I lose the sensation of satiety/fullness, so i cannot get enough of food. I stuffed myself full but I was still hungry. What a horrible way to live!

I'm now managed well (who can say what tomorrow brings), not that hungry but am stuck at close to 300 lbs. I want this band so that the weight I lose I won't gain back. I am very well educated on the band and how it works, so now that there is a physical barrier preventing overeating, where I don't want to mess my insides up, it will make all the difference.

I am 33 now and have bad knees, GERD (reflux), hypothyroid, high cholesterol, high BP, my kidneys aren't happy ... the list goes on.

I want my life back!

Such a loaded question.

I had what amounts to a nervous breakdown in my late 20's and gained 110 lbs in one year!

I've managed to get over the depression but the weight has just not come off. I've tried everything, or at least I thought I had.

The main reason for my excess weight is emotional eating. Happy, sad, whatever the mood, food was/is my best friend.

I know the LB is only a tool, and that I will need to make additional changes in order for this step to work.

TangerineDreams, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. It happened to me in 2000.

It's almost like now, thanks to this surgery (which I had yesterday, whoo hoo!!), I am getting rid of the "scars" from going through all of the emotional upheaval of the last few years.

I started out small as a child. I got fluffier at about 10 and I was never FAT just more developed. I got married at 20 anmy x-husband was a mean man.(man is too nice a term for him) I used food to keep control of something in my life. No one really looks at you when you are fat. The marks he gave me wear not on parts of my body that anyone would want to see. When I left him 3 years later I have a love/hate affear with food!!

I Am Fat Because Cake Is So Damn Delicious .. And Its Even Better With Ice Cream!! Then A Few chips For The Salt ..mmmm Yes...i Loveeeeeeee Food...i Loveeeeeee To Eat.... Not Depressed, Not Stressed, I Just Really Love Food!!