Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why are YOU Fat?

Peaches....I agree with DynamoMini....the band is a tool...and not magic, but no matter what...if you get the fills...it does block the amount of food you can comfortably consume and you are not sick....and if you keep using sites like this, and get support, it gives you hope and a reason to keep trying....I hope you find some encouragement and the strength to give yourself the chance to overcome the negative....Sher

Thanks for your encouragement Sher! I actually contacted a doctor, and I also plan to go to a LB support group (in a nearby town) tonight. Big steps for me.

peaches

Sher

Thanks for the positive words. I am reading and reading everyones post

I will keep you posted

J

Reason Why and How I Got Fat:

• Portion Control:hungry:
  • Emotional Eater(happy/sad/stressed/bored ect.):P
  • No Exercise:opps2:
  • VERY BAD SWEET TOOTH (oh that explains those lovely cavities):P
  • Eating Late at Night:notagree
  • Bad food choices (aka Fast Food):eek:

That pretty much sums it up, there is more reasons, like psychological issues behind it (parents divorce, being teased in school, mother getting me upset/depressed etc...) I definitely know that everyone has more than one thing that got them to their overweight state.... Its the combination of things thats the killer... but like they say "the first step is figuring out what caused the problem." and then take it from there.

I'm on the right track now and I'm loving it!!!:clap2:

Jeni - great job giving yourself a healthy choice of new lifestyle and body!

OMG I can't believe it -

I keep discovering new aspects of my psychological issues, but with the band I am not cowering, caving in, etc. I went to therapy and raged about me and the scale. I am not a number, but judge the quality of my life and efforts based on the numbers I read. It is a real self-defeating thought process. I am thrilled that I have the opportunity to confront my stuff. Every day I am learning more and getting closer to my goals.

Best wishes,

your story is amazing, thank you for sharing it! I literally had tears reading it - congratulations

I am also still deciding, but my thought after readig your post was that that its better to have love and lost than to never have loved at all, meaning that OK things didnt work with boyfriend #3 and it was heartbreaking and I lost him but I will always have that experienc which helped me find Mr. right... Meaning I think you should love yourself enough to take the experience even tho it can fail in the end, it may buy 10 great years or 2 of loving yourself better (thats what I want for me anyway) thanks for sharing I relate to how you feel and expressed yourself.

I have a similar opinion to Idahl, when I was much younger I was in a very abusive relationship that lasted 5 years then I got smart and got the heck out of it......even though I wish I never had to experience the abuse, I am grateful for what it did teach me.....because now, for sure, I know what DON'T want when it comes to a man!

Carol

Woodys - Wow you have made it to goal! I am impressed that you continue to do the headwork and heartwork here. It isn't only about the pounds is it?

Brave!

IndioGirl55! Only two days until your consult! How are you doing? I just thought I would check in. Are you excited? Scared? Keep thinking about the long term picture...good health, less pain, easier breathing! Hope to hear from you soon. Sheri

Sheri

Scared - want to back out... I have been on the 50 yr old board too (can't seem to find it again - but will look some more later) and I guess this is normal - I think i can do it myself and that I am taking the somewhat easy way... I know it's not but you know what i mean. Heck since i have made this decision all i want to do is EAT - i bet i will gain 10 lbs before this is done :) - Giving up my drug of choice is going to be hard... especially 4 weeks (pre & post op) liquid diet - heck when to i get that great last meal :) - I have read that this does help with the hunger issue - that instead of eating 10 Cookies you can stop at one (this is what i need the control as I am powerless) well i am at work - gotta get back to it... will ck in tonite. Thanks for remembering me - that's very sweet - not everyone here is like you know who :) Janet

I am fat because:

In the last 8 years I have quit drinking and smoking, I have traded one addiction for another..

I eat way too fast and I eat way too much.

I never ever leave food on a plate and I rarely have one serving of anything. I am a 2 plate kind of guy (at minimum) I go out to eat probably 5-7 times a week, whether it be lunch or dinner.

I am addicted to carbs... I am also addicted to sitting on my fat ass in front of a computer... another reason I am fat.

I can eat a large pizza alone in one sitting...:straight

I am fat because I eat too much. Why? I was 3 years old and my mom got tuberculosis. Back then you were sent away to assylums. She was sent to Illinois. We lived in Maryland. My dad was in the military and worked two jobs, his military job during the day and bartender at night. He flew to Illinois on the weekends and left my two older brothers and myself with my grandmother. She came over from Germany to help take care of us. She spoke no English. We didn't speak German. She gave us food whenever we cried or whenever she didn't know what else to do with us. My mom was gone for a year. When she came home she didn't even recognize my brother and I because we had gotten so fat. I slimmed down with my moms help because she constantly watched what I ate. When I got married and had kids I never lost the weight from my pregnancys. I just continued to gain weight. My mom always told me that my husband would leave me because I was fat. She said men liked girls with a good figure know matter how ugly they were. I was always the girl with such a pretty face, it was a shame that I was fat. Oprah always says it's not about the food. There is something behind the eating, I just can't seem to figure out what that something is. I hope the band will help me to stop focusing on food. I have spent my whole life focusing on food and I feel like I have missed so much. I just want to eat and feel full and not think about what I am going to eat next.

Tweetygirl

I agree with you about the Oprah "there is something wrong deep down inside to make you eat" That's sort of b.s. imho.. Yea i have had issues in my life - but heck who doesn't. I am not going to blame my childhood for my adult life. I think i am pretty normal considering :0).

I like food... I like the taste.... The only time i don't eat is if i am worried about something major - like someone dying or if i am out doing something. I eat alot out of boredom... I eat cuz there is nothing better than homemade bean dip with tons of cheese and homemade tortilla chips. i love the way food taste... I feel for me it is about the food. I am on the computer so i am not thinking about food this second, but if i had a bag of cheeto puffs i could eat half of the bag while surfing the internet. I was thin once in my life from about 16 to 25 and i use to make rice a roni on friday nite and eat it all weekend - now adays its only 2 serving in one evening... I think we like food... our metabolizim (sp) is all screwed up. gotta go p/u my granddaughter so will be back latter Janet

Sheri

Scared - want to back out... I have been on the 50 yr old board too (can't seem to find it again - but will look some more later) and I guess this is normal - I think i can do it myself and that I am taking the somewhat easy way... I know it's not but you know what i mean. Heck since i have made this decision all i want to do is EAT - i bet i will gain 10 lbs before this is done :) - Giving up my drug of choice is going to be hard... especially 4 weeks (pre & post op) liquid diet - heck when to i get that great last meal :) - I have read that this does help with the hunger issue - that instead of eating 10 Cookies you can stop at one (this is what i need the control as I am powerless) well i am at work - gotta get back to it... will ck in tonite. Thanks for remembering me - that's very sweet - not everyone here is like you know who ;) Janet

Hmmm...you do reason a lot like I do. However, let me assure you that there is NO easy way. One thing for sure, if you don't like it you can have it removed...if you don't try it...you will always wonder if you should have....all I know is today I mowed the lawn in the middle of the day for an hour and 15 minutes..it was 88 degrees and sunny and hot.....and I finally quit because I was over heated but not over tired....if you are anything like me, you have been playing with 10-30 lbs for the past several years...on and off on and off...as I said...I am only down 42 now but it has not come back on....tonight my husband offered to cook me some brats (my favorite grilled meat) I haven't had them in a year...but instead...I had a grilled portabella mushroom sandwich on an english muffin and it was more satisfying...after you are away from some foods you just don't crave them like you used to. And I find I crave cooked vegetables a lot. (Now that is strange for me). I do care because I was you a couple of summers ago....What was really strange to me was that I never had that "proverbial last meal" because I always knew I could still eat what I wanted...but not as MUCH as I wanted. If you eat your veg's, meat and sides first and still want a small dessert and if you allow time you can have two bites or a small amount and not be over full...I don't do a lot of sugar...never did...but if it is something I really want, I will allow myself a small amount....once in a while....I only lost 2 and a half lbs. last month but it is still 2 and a half lbs....I will be keeping you in my thoughts....I will not tell you to go through with it...I will only encourage you to at least go to the consult....for your own sake. Just remember...there is NO easy way....but of all the things I have done this helped me the most....Stay in touch....I really believe in you! Sheri