Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New 60+ Thread

Joann,

Thanks for the kind words. You are well on your way. I was afraid I would wake up this morning and find it was a dream and I am still overweight but the scale did re-enforce the dream. Life is good!

Hi Everyone,

I need your input on an issue I have run into lately. When I start eating I take small bites, I chew chew chew and wait at least 5 minutes or more between bites but, I am having trouble with my first 1 to 3 bites getting stuck in my chest, causing me pain and sometimes the only way out of it is to vomit. I have not had this issue in the past and once the clog moves down or I bring it up, I can go on and eat my meal. It is not because I have overeaten when this happens. I would really appreciate any suggestions. I have an appt with my lapband surgeon on Thursday.

Thank you all. I can see everyone is doing extremely well and I congratulate you all on your successes and tenacity.

:smile:

Hi Everyone,

I need your input on an issue I have run into lately. When I start eating I take small bites, I chew chew chew and wait at least 5 minutes or more between bites but, I am having trouble with my first 1 to 3 bites getting stuck in my chest, causing me pain and sometimes the only way out of it is to vomit. I have not had this issue in the past and once the clog moves down or I bring it up, I can go on and eat my meal. It is not because I have overeaten when this happens. I would really appreciate any suggestions. I have an appt with my lapband surgeon on Thursday.

Thank you all. I can see everyone is doing extremely well and I congratulate you all on your successes and tenacity.

:)

Well, it's what we refer to as "first bite syndrome", but I don't know of any solution. Sounds like you are doing everything right... small bites, chew, chew, chew, break between bites. Does it happen at all times of the day?? Sometimes drinking a warm beverage prior to eating will help. You might try that and see if it helps.

12_13_4.gif

Phyl.

Thank you so so much! You always make me feel like I am not alone and not insane, which really helps. I am going to try the warm beverage idea and talk with my doc about this tomorrow. I will let you know what she says and again, thank you and I love your new picture.

:)

I would sure like to help you but the only advise I have is to see your doctor ASAP. Could it be stress related?

Phyl.

Thank you so so much! You always make me feel like I am not alone and not insane, which really helps. I am going to try the warm beverage idea and talk with my doc about this tomorrow. I will let you know what she says and again, thank you and I love your new picture. :rolleyes2:

You are so welcome... and thanks on the new picture.

I often have several days in a row when I am quite tight. This week, for example! I'm not vomiting or anything, but uncomfortable after a few bites. Just have to cut back, slow down, wait for it to pass.

Let us know what your doc says.

I would sure like to help you but the only advise I have is to see your doctor ASAP. Could it be stress related?

nrpnrp,

I am just naturally a very stressed person, so, yes it could be stress, but it has been happening for over a month.

You are so welcome... and thanks on the new picture.

I often have several days in a row when I am quite tight. This week, for example! I'm not vomiting or anything, but uncomfortable after a few bites. Just have to cut back, slow down, wait for it to pass.

Let us know what your doc says.

Phyl,

How could it be because of a tight fill if the food never gets to the lapband site?

Phyl,

How could it be because of a tight fill if the food never gets to the lapband site?

OH, but it IS the band that is interfering. Doesn't necessarily mean your fill is too tight. Our bands are very fickle and sometimes tighter than others, especially first thing in the morning. And "First Bite" syndrome is quite common. You see your doc today, right??

We're hitting the road on our RV today so internet access the next few days will be spotty. Usually I get the email updates on my Blackberry and can read posts. But sometimes they don't come! So, hopefully, I'll be able to get your doc update on my Blackberry, but may or may not be able to respond until we get to a park with WI Fi.

Back from doc. She said the trouble I am experiencing is either because I am not chewing well enough, regardless of how well I think I am chewing or that I am not drinking enough Water. I told her I am drinking the 64 ozs but that I do take an antihistamine and she said that might mean I have to drink more than 64 ozs. I am going to chew even more than I have been and drink more than 64 ozs a day when taking my antihistamine. She did give me a 1cc fill which puts me at 7cc's in my Realize Band. Thank you all for your input and support. I will keep you updated.

Phyl,

Have fun RV'ing!

I have the '1st bite' issue. I got my band on 3/31/09 and haven't had a fill yet. I am moving into 'soft' foods and the first bite IS painful. I take a very small bite and chew like crazy, swallow and then wait. There is still pain, but not quite like an ice pick in my chest.

Hi there you losers! :thumbup: Remember me? It's been a long time. I just quit a job that left me no time for anything except work and sleep. It was home nursing. I would drive about 200 miles per day and see 4-6 patients. That was the good part of the job. The bad part was the stacks and stacks of paper work that I just couldn't keep up with. That is the bad part of nursing these days. Now I'm going to go back to private duty and no more than 3 days a week. So now I should have time to open my computer again. As far as the weight loss.....I had been drinking slim fast on the road and pigging out at night and as you all know it's pretty hard to pig out on healthy meat and veggies. I consumed lots of ice cream and candy. In spite of that, once I got enough fills, which took a whole year, I have been slowly losing and feel a lot better. It's so maddening how easy Cookies and crackers and ice cream and candy just slide down while good vegtables and meat healthy foods get stuck so easy unless you have lots of time to eat. Anyway I love my band. I don't always use it correctly but I love it.

Hi there you losers! :thumbup: Remember me? It's been a long time. I just quit a job that left me no time for anything except work and sleep. It was home nursing. I would drive about 200 miles per day and see 4-6 patients. That was the good part of the job. The bad part was the stacks and stacks of paper work that I just couldn't keep up with. That is the bad part of nursing these days. Now I'm going to go back to private duty and no more than 3 days a week. So now I should have time to open my computer again. As far as the weight loss.....I had been drinking slim fast on the road and pigging out at night and as you all know it's pretty hard to pig out on healthy meat and veggies. I consumed lots of ice cream and candy. In spite of that, once I got enough fills, which took a whole year, I have been slowly losing and feel a lot better. It's so maddening how easy Cookies and crackers and ice cream and candy just slide down while good vegtables and meat healthy foods get stuck so easy unless you have lots of time to eat. Anyway I love my band. I don't always use it correctly but I love it.

HI!!

So good to hear from you again!

I used to do that kind of nursing! Hard! And I did it in the days before GPS! I was always getting lost trying to find addresses in and around Seattle. I preferred private duty whenever possible, too! But, I have to admit, one of my very favorite jobs was the last one I had.... pre-cert for medical insurance. I loved being on the computer a good part of the day, and talking to all the doctors' offices, etc. I really enjoyed it. But then Prudential sold out to Aetna and within 6 months, Aetna eliminated about a dozen of our 20 or so RN/LPN jobs. They transferred the pre-cert function to Denver and just kept a couple of case managers, the ones who went to the hospitals to harass th doctors to discharge their patients!

So... you need to get back on track, huh!? It really takes a lot of discipline, doesn't it!? I don't keep any ice cream, cookies, etc. in the house because it would "talk" to me! Sometimes I buy "Skinny Cows", or low calorie fudgcicle bars. But pretty much my "treat" is one Jello low cal pudding a day. I like the rice ones... especially the Creme Brule and Cinnamon. They are 70 calories.

But, you are right... it's very important to get in that "hard" Protein first, and some veggies, to keep you feeling full. Protein Drinks, Slim Plan, very tempting.. especially in the morning. I'm spoiled because DH fixes me a small egg beaters omelet w/art. crab, a little moz cheese every morning. But this morning he was gone and I was ready to grab a granola bar or make a quick protein drink.. but I knew I'd be hungry in an hour or two if I did that. So I made the omelet... and it kept me feeling full until about 1 pm!

Hi there you losers! :thumbdown: Remember me? It's been a long time. I just quit a job that left me no time for anything except work and sleep. It was home nursing. I would drive about 200 miles per day and see 4-6 patients. That was the good part of the job. The bad part was the stacks and stacks of paper work that I just couldn't keep up with. That is the bad part of nursing these days. Now I'm going to go back to private duty and no more than 3 days a week. So now I should have time to open my computer again. As far as the weight loss.....I had been drinking slim fast on the road and pigging out at night and as you all know it's pretty hard to pig out on healthy meat and veggies. I consumed lots of ice cream and candy. In spite of that, once I got enough fills, which took a whole year, I have been slowly losing and feel a lot better. It's so maddening how easy Cookies and crackers and ice cream and candy just slide down while good vegtables and meat healthy foods get stuck so easy unless you have lots of time to eat. Anyway I love my band. I don't always use it correctly but I love it.

Hi, again

Glad to see you back! I know that sometimes when we are so busy it is hard to stay on track. I have adopted a new philosophy of " Put Yourself First" since I was banded, and as part of that I try to plan out my eating for the day. Hang in there, and you can get back on track.

Welcome back to sunny WA Phyl lol hope you had a good trip coming home. Going to CA myself this year for a week going to go play at Disneyland. I was raised in CA so Disney was are playground.

Carol