Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New 60+ Thread

roxie: confesson is good for the soul. But congratulations for being 26lbs down and not up. Your journey is straight ahead. Don't look behind, this is not a race, but your personal journey. Loosing weight take work as we all know, but what good does it do to dwell on the past.

Welcome back and post to let us know of your weightloss next week.

Hey Doddie,

Thanks so much for your reply. It does absolutely no good to dwell on the past. Wish me luck! I will keep you updated.

One more thing - what do you do when you get hungry a couple of hours after dinner? Do you eat something or just have a cup of tea? I would love to hear any suggestions. I think that is where one of my problems lies. Thanks again!:wink2:

Roxie, my clinic has told me to eat every three hours some form of Protein. Protein is what keeps you stoked for long periods of time. Sugars give you instant gratification and energy but they don't last. Hard protein is what I was told and I try to "obey". LOL

Try planning your Breakfast (some people can't eat at breakfast so have some form of Protein Shake. Then a small snack at 10:30 - 11:00 am then your 1/2 cup at lunch to include 3 oz of protein, then 3:00 have some protein and warm drink, then dinner time making sure your 1/2 cup to 1 cup has at least 3 oz of protein.

After dinner, try to keep you pouch empty so you to have acid reflux. Try a warm drink such as warm skim milk.

Studies have show that people who track what they eat loose more weight than those that don't and they keep it off longer.

If you haven't tracked start now. There are many good weight trackers on the net. I use Fitday. I like it so much, I purchased their CD. The practice of recording now is part of my routine and it is fun to watch the graph go down (and up). My weight increases as the month goes on then shoes a decrease at the start, then it goes up again but the bottom line is, I am always loosing even if it is only 4 oz for the month.

Good luck and keep posting.

If you want to be accountable, feel free to e mail me and maybe we can support each other.

Good journe.

roxie: I got your e mail, and responded but your e mail rejected me. I have posted to the administrator.

Hello, banders. This is my first post. I am 64, in good health (I have 6 month check ups with family doctor) and my doctor thinks it is a good idea to have the surgery. I have filed for pre-determination with my insurance company. I haven't heard back and I understand that they have 90 days to respond. I have been over weight since my 30's, obese since 50's, and morbidly obese since age 59 on. In my life I have tried several weight loss programs without much success. That could partly be because I never stayed with one very long. I laugh and say that over the years I have lost a total of 1,000 pounds. Trouble is I've always gained it all back and more to boot. Of course, physical appearance and self image are important. However the reason I want the surgery is quality of life. I want to be able to walk, get up off the floor, etc. without pain, huffing and puffing, and even inability to do it. I am aware that extra weight increase my risk factor for heart disease, stroke, cancer, just about everything. I want to live to be able to know my great-grandchildren. I don't want one of my kids to have to take care of me.

I have been to a seminar and a consult with a doctor in Fort Worth. I am doing research to try to become band literate.

I am beginning to feel some anxiety about the finality of my decision to have the band placed. All of you say it's the best thing you've ever done for yourself and would do it again in a heartbeat. Questions haunt me: will I be able to mentally cope, will I get tired of chew, chew, chew, and will I get off my butt and exercise (apprehension due to my past track record.) What about sweets? They are one of my bug-a-boos. I crave sweets of all kinds. Will I be able to avoid them? What about nausea, pain, etc. You all seem to have plowed thru all or most of your problems, but can I, will I?

Then there's the doctor. Something doesn't sit well with me about this doctor. I would like to see another doctor at the same office, who is more experienced (and the one my doctor actually recommended.) When I was at the seminar and made the appointment it was with the doctor who gave the seminar, not the recommended one. I didn't think to ask, and they didn't say which doctor the appointment was with. I have heard there is one out of Dallas who has a lot of positive feed-back on the obesityhelp.com web site. He has an office in Ferris, TX which is closer to my home than Dallas. The problem is that they charged $350 for the consult and then would have to pay the new doctor for a new consult. A question: is it customary to have to pay for consult, psych, nutrionist, pulmonologist, cardiologist, upper GI all in to the price of the surgery? And what are customary charges for a fill? I know the number of fills vary with individuals. What about baggy skin after weight loss? I know that health is the goal, but I'm human and concerned about looks.

I'm sorry for the length of the post. I'm just looking for some answers and hope you guys will be able to help me.

Thanks,

Ema in Texas

Edited by Mem

If "something doesn't sit right", respect your insight and look elsewhere. Being in Texas, have you considered Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. We have band members that are very high on him and his clinic and his rates are very reasonable. They fly from Canada to Mexico and praise him highly for support. Go to his website and check them out.

My other suggestion to you is to check very carefully the aftercare provided by your doctor/clinic. As you journey progress, post your questions and I am sure someone will answer .

Finnaly made it back,

Sorry I have not been on for awhile. Really not much of an excuse.

I have only lost 2 lbs this past month but have lost a lot of inches. Sence my surgery I have lost 43 lbs, but have lost 22 inches if you add them all together. I had fun last week, I went through my closit and took out all the cloths I could not wear. I went from 2XL(XXL) to 1XL(XL). I found and took out 20 shirts & one pair of pants. :smile: That made me feel good.

Glad to hear most everyone is doing well & progressing in the right dirrection.

I seen the post op Doc last week and also the diatision to make sure I was still on track. Everything was ok in that department.

To all us loosers, (that's a good thing)

Don

Ema, Since you live in Ft. Worth, I would check out TLCEdge. They did a fabulous job for me, both financially and with the doctor. I got to choose from several doctors, and I chose Dr. Jayaseelan. He is awesome. They also fought for my insurance, and it was the cheapest deal in town - even with insurance because the bill in one block. I did have to pay some copays for the pre-op visits and I still have to pay a copay for my fills. But nothing like what you were quoted. If you are self-pay, it is all inclusive for less than 10,000.

Just thought you might want to check on it. I don't know their location in Ft. Worth; I went to Plano, and Dr. Jay's office is at Medical City, Dallas.

Just thought you might want to know.

And to all, I'm down 33 pounds and what is even better is my internist ran tons of bloodwork to be sure I'm getting proper nutrition - which I am, and my blood sugar has already dropped from 103 to 90 - and I wasn't even fasting when she ran it.

Penny

Hi Ema,

I do have some loose skin but not too bad. I expect it to tighten up somewhat. Some folks actually have plastic surgery afterwards to get rid of that. I have reached my goal and do occasionally indulge in things I probably should not. I don't deny myself a cookie now and then but I am not even tempted to over do it. The band works. Yes, you do need to do your part too but motivation aided by the band is successful. I am never hungry. My biggest problem is exercise. I don't seem to be able to motivate myself that way. However, just because I weigh so much less I naturally get more exercise than I did prior to the surgery. I have energy now. I am comfortable moving now. Also, I don't hide because I am embarrassed about the way I look.

I think it is normal to have some reservations. We all have a bit of apprehension about the unknown and you never really know how it will be for you until you do it. I have no regrets at all! Good luck to you!

:cry_smile: Thank you to you all for your replies.

Doddie63--Thanks for your encouragement to follow my instincts. That is something I have known is a weakness for me for a while, but am not in the habit of practicing. I mentioned my feelings to my husband and he said "I don't like that guy." So, will definitely not use that Doctor. Push comes to a shove, I might check out Mexico.

pennyw--I will call Dr. Jay's office and talk with them. Would rather not have to go to Dallas, but it's certainly not out of the question. Congratulations on you new weight loss!

nrpnrp--Wow! 1.5 lbs below target is totally amazing. Thanks for your testimonial about your hunger level, and increased exercise. That is a real encouragement. I do expect some baggy skin, my fear, I guess you would say, is ending up with draping skin with folds. :thumbup: And you are right about trepidation with any new experience.

You have all been an inspiration to me. Thanks very much for responding so quickly to my post.

Ema

Ema, I would call TLCEdge first. Dr. Jay works through them, although he also has his own practice. But I'm not sure what kind of pricing you get by going directly through him. My total out of pocket was about 3,000 with insurance because TLCEdge has a package deal with the surgery center and the doctors they use. I also enourage you to join DFWBandsters@yahoo.com. You can get a lot of information about all the local doctors there. They say Dr. Fox is very good. Two of the people on the list - Cynthia - works for TLCEdge and Sandy - works for Dr. Jay. She is his nurse practictioner and does most of my fills as I don't care to wait three hours just to see him - although he is good on the eyes also. LOL.

Hugs,

Penny

Hi Everyone,

Haven't had too many posts lately. Are we all enjoying the beginning of summer? I just got past my birthday and a friend visiting from Lewiston, Idaho, so I need to get serious about watching my sugar, again. If it just weren't for my addiction to sugar, I swear, I would weigh 125, haha! Anyway, I miss hearing what is going on with everyone. Hope all is well.

Hi Roxie,

It's good to hear from you! I've been pretty busy with vacation to welcome a new grandson into the family - in Korea! DSIL is military and the little family is posted there - DH and I visited for most of April and a little bit of May. A lot going on at home during the weeks since I got home.

I'm doing well - had a small fill last week and I am cruisin' at this point. I can't believe what a difference that tiny bit made, but if this isn't the "sweet spot", I don't know what that might be. I continue to lose slowly, and will go a week or two without a loss - drives me crazy - but I will suddenly drop 2 or 3 pounds. This has been my pattern, so I just have to get used to it and not worry. That fear of failure always hangs over me (and most of us!). I am headed in the right direction, and see a big difference in the way I feel and look - down about 3 sizes and about to go down one more. I am lucky that I have been able to get rid of all the "triggers" in my house - DH does not care much for sweets or snack foods, so it makes it easy to just not have them around. I think that has been a great bonus for me.

I hope you continue to do well. Stay away from that sugar, girlfriend. You don't need that sugar sabotage!

Hi, Good to see some action here! Wonder how Don is doing? Are you out there, Don??

I'm losing ever so slowly, too, Joann! Sometimes it gets discouraging, but just have to keep plugging along. I'm somewhat challenged as far as exercise goes. Was hoping to have at least the left knee replaced this summer but it doens't look like that's going to happen. Ortho surgeon is reluctant because he says I still have so much "adipose tissue" (like I don't know that means FAT??) and that increases the risk of infection. He was encouraging me to get a PS consult and thought Medicare might cover lipo/removal of excess skin on my thighs since I need double knee replacement and it would be dificult without some prior surgery. But, plastic surgeon office had no consult appts open until the end of July, AND told me to more or less forget about the possibility of ANY insurance covering it and they don't take Medicare or Tricare anyway! So all of that pretty much took the wind out of my sails and I haven't done anything to pursue any kind of surgery! He did inject the left knee with steroid, but it only gave me relief for a couple of days.

So, I do what exercises I can on my Wii/Wii Fit... enough to work up a sweat about 45 minutes a day. Or until my knee hurts too bad to continue!:cursing::mad::sad:

Hi: Lazy dazy days of summer are here and I am falling into the trap. Weight has been steady for a few months but my DH was told by doc to toose 20 lbs so he has no treats in the house. Makes it easier for me. However on average still loosing 1/4 lb a week. Hope everyone enjoys the summer to come