Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New 60+ Thread

Oh Phyll - that is not good news about your knees. In a post from last year I read that Medicare does pay for "medically necessary" plastic surgery to correct the problems that go with weight loss (getting rid of all that adipose tissue, you know...). The poster had had a Tummy Tuck that was covered because of skin infection. Is it possible to check with another plastic surgeon who does accept Medicare and/or Tricare? It's hard to believe that no one in your area does, but since Medicare pays so little for procedures compared to what the surgeons charge, it's getting harder and harder to find a place for us to have things done. I am so concerned about the results of "government" insurance coverage planned for us. Most people do not realize what rationed care will be like, esp for people over 55. We are already seeing it with Medicare to some degree, and it will not be pretty. Try calling Medicare and see if they can direct you to a list of PS practices that accept MC. I found my LB surgeon through the MC website. It took a bit of searching - maybe a call would be faster for you. If you could have any of this done in So CA during the winter there may be more MC options there. The website Obesityhelp.com might have information for you, too, as they may have links to other surgeons in your area that can get you started.

I am planning to wait till winter for my right knee replacement. I will continue to postpone if the pain improves as much as it has the last few weeks. I have reached the point where the loss of a few pounds really seems to help. I am walking much better, and at the point where I can attempt a real walking program, even though a slow one. I know it will have to be done eventually, but hope to postpone as long as I can.

Good luck with all this - keep us posted on what you find out. Above all - don't let this get you down. You have to keep searching and keep fighting.

It is all good. You are moving in the right direction. Besides, you have lost so much all ready that you are going to slow down a bit. Don't get discouraged. You are doing wonderfully!

Hi Roxie,

It's good to hear from you! I've been pretty busy with vacation to welcome a new grandson into the family - in Korea! DSIL is military and the little family is posted there - DH and I visited for most of April and a little bit of May. A lot going on at home during the weeks since I got home.

I'm doing well - had a small fill last week and I am cruisin' at this point. I can't believe what a difference that tiny bit made, but if this isn't the "sweet spot", I don't know what that might be. I continue to lose slowly, and will go a week or two without a loss - drives me crazy - but I will suddenly drop 2 or 3 pounds. This has been my pattern, so I just have to get used to it and not worry. That fear of failure always hangs over me (and most of us!). I am headed in the right direction, and see a big difference in the way I feel and look - down about 3 sizes and about to go down one more. I am lucky that I have been able to get rid of all the "triggers" in my house - DH does not care much for sweets or snack foods, so it makes it easy to just not have them around. I think that has been a great bonus for me.

I hope you continue to do well. Stay away from that sugar, girlfriend. You don't need that sugar sabotage!

Hi Joann,

Congratulations on your new grandson. The new picture is great! You are having a much more international spring/summer than me.

You are right I don't need the sugar sabatoge. I have done better the last few days.

Thank you Joann

Oh Phyll - that is not good news about your knees. In a post from last year I read that Medicare does pay for "medically necessary" plastic surgery to correct the problems that go with weight loss (getting rid of all that adipose tissue, you know...). The poster had had a Tummy Tuck that was covered because of skin infection. Is it possible to check with another plastic surgeon who does accept Medicare and/or Tricare? It's hard to believe that no one in your area does, but since Medicare pays so little for procedures compared to what the surgeons charge, it's getting harder and harder to find a place for us to have things done. I am so concerned about the results of "government" insurance coverage planned for us. Most people do not realize what rationed care will be like, esp for people over 55. We are already seeing it with Medicare to some degree, and it will not be pretty. Try calling Medicare and see if they can direct you to a list of PS practices that accept MC. I found my LB surgeon through the MC website. It took a bit of searching - maybe a call would be faster for you. If you could have any of this done in So CA during the winter there may be more MC options there. The website Obesityhelp.com might have information for you, too, as they may have links to other surgeons in your area that can get you started.

I am planning to wait till winter for my right knee replacement. I will continue to postpone if the pain improves as much as it has the last few weeks. I have reached the point where the loss of a few pounds really seems to help. I am walking much better, and at the point where I can attempt a real walking program, even though a slow one. I know it will have to be done eventually, but hope to postpone as long as I can.

Good luck with all this - keep us posted on what you find out. Above all - don't let this get you down. You have to keep searching and keep fighting.

I so much appreciate your encouraging words! Thanks!

I didn't think about researching the Medicare site. I'll try that. Good idea.

You're certainly right about the direction our health care is headed! It's a scarey thing! People don't understand what they are in for! I have friends in Canada, and one whose mother lived in the UK and were forced to wait MONTHS for care even in the presence of very serious, life threatening health issues.

Hello!

I am now officially Banded...had my procedure on the 28th of May and am down 18 lbs..a small amount for those here who are seasoned Bandsters, but a HUGE leap for me who lost and regained the same 5 lbs over and over month after month!

I am excited.

I am excited not only because I have been Banded successfully and am looking towards my first fill, but also because I TURN 60 in

9 days and feel WONDERFUL! Blood pressure is down, cholesterol is way down and weight is on its way in that direction too.(unfortunately I feel gravity pulling everything else down too LOL)

I think it is great to find more 60+ Bandsters around!

Welcome Singin'!

Congratulations on your recent banding! I notice so many worried about losing more slowly than others. As a slow loser (I tend to lose and gain the same pounds over and over, too) I can tell you - a loss is great! It's not a race, girlfriend - and we will all get there in time. My surgeon's office and the band manufacturers consider a pound a week a successful loss. That's about what I do, though sometimes it takes me all month to lose that 4 pounds! It is almost never a consistent loss of 1 a week, usually up and down for 2-3 weeks then a 2-3 pound drop in 2 days. I get frustrated, but am learning patience with myself. It is my pattern, and it's okay.

Last week the PA reminded me that a pound a week will give me 100 pounds in 2 years. I'd love it to be one year, but I'll be happy with the 100 pounds, no matter how long! I plan to be banded for life, what's the hurry?

Wish you a happy birthday! You have taken a great step as you turn 60 - it will change your life and you'll be getting younger, not older! Best wishes!

Phyllser :thumbdown: looking good !!!!

I'm thankful I took time to check the new post today and found tne 60+ club, I'll be 60 in August. I was banded be Dr.

Schram in Ypislanti, Mi. May 27 and feeling wonderful.

Have a good week-end and cheer for the REDWINGS to win tonight!

Jana from Northeast Michigan

Hello!

I am now officially Banded...had my procedure on the 28th of May and am down 18 lbs..a small amount for those here who are seasoned Bandsters, but a HUGE leap for me who lost and regained the same 5 lbs over and over month after month!

I am excited.

I am excited not only because I have been Banded successfully and am looking towards my first fill, but also because I TURN 60 in

9 days and feel WONDERFUL! Blood pressure is down, cholesterol is way down and weight is on its way in that direction too.(unfortunately I feel gravity pulling everything else down too LOL)

I think it is great to find more 60+ Bandsters around!

WOOHOO! :confused: That is a wonderful lose in less than a month! Excellent job...you should be proud. If you are like me, you will wonder what took you so long to git 'r done! Life began at 64 for me...at least a new life. You get started way younger than I did. But I start while I was still this side or ground level so I am happy!

Keep up the good work!

Hi Everyone

I am glad to see that everyone is doing O.K.

I haven't posted in a while. I have been busy this summer, but everything is going well. I have lost 130 pounds!!!! I can hardly believe it, but it's true. I am now 30 pounds from my goal.

My doc asked me to come answer questions at a seminar for people thinking of having weight loss surgery. Needless to say,I am thrilled to be asked.

Edited by KarenIn
Added information

Hi Everyone

I am glad to see that everyone is doing O.K.

I haven't posted in a while. I have been busy this summer, but everything is going well. I have lost 130 pounds!!!! I can hardly believe it, but it's true. I am now 30 pounds from my goal.

My doc asked me to come answer questions at a seminar for people thinking of having weight loss surgery. Needless to say,I am thrilled to be asked.

OMG! You lost a whole person! Excellent! Just think how good it is to stop carrying an extra adult person all the time. If you are a mother, you know how much lighter and freer you felt after you delivered your baby. 130 lbs. is not a baby, it's an adult. Great job! :) :) :)

That is WONDERFUL!

When I went to my first info meeting There was a presentation by the professionals and also some slides of a few LB wl losers.

But I was especially impressed by the last stage of the meeting when 1/2 hour was given to 3 of the patients who lost a good amount of weight and answered questions and told about their LB journey.

You will help many.

Karen - congratulations on your amazing weight loss! Last spring when I first started on LBTalk, you were on your low carb diet and waiting for your band. I remember you being happy with the losses you had on low carb, and wondering if you should go ahead with banding. Now look where you are!!! You will be a great representative for the lapband, and will inspire many people (including me)!

Walking. I am supposed to be walking.

But my legs feel SO weak after climbing up a flight of 14 stairs in my house that I have to flop on the couch.

Before my procedure 2 1/2 weeks ago I was lively and active.

Did you fellow 60 + members also find yourself with weak legs and muscles after your procedure.?

I haven't posted in a while. I have been busy this summer, but everything is going well. I have lost 130 pounds!!!! I can hardly believe it, but it's true. I am now 30 pounds from my goal. My doc asked me to come answer questions at a seminar for people thinking of having weight loss surgery. Needless to say,I am thrilled to be asked.

WOW!!

You're doing GREAT!

Wish I could lose that fast!

I'm fighting a slow but steady battle

and it sometimes gets wearisome!

Singin' - Make sure you are getting enough Protein. You should have 60-80 grams per day. I don't know what stage you are in, but probably full liquids or mushies. It's hard to get as much protein as you need with those foods, but supplement with Protein Shakes and/or other types of Protein Drinks if necessary. Keep track of how much protein you are getting - read labels and keep a food journal either online or in a notebook (I prefer the old-fashioned notebook). Protein intake is essential - from now on! If your energy level does not improve soon, call your doctor's office and see if they have suggestions. You could be anemic, or have other problems that can be easily fixed.

Keep us posted!