Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New 60+ Thread

This is my first post. I am 61, 5 foot 1.2 inches and 200 pounds. My pcd suggested w l surgery and I am considering the lap band with Dr. Kruger in Wareham, MA. '

I will be going to the seminar next week. I am worried that I won't meet the criteria that Harvard Pilgrim or Dr. Kruger will allow for the surgery. I have been overweight my whole life and now I have the repurcusions starting..

Does anyone know what the criteria for the surgery is? my bmi is around 38

Thanks for the help

Lois:confused:

This is my first post. I am 61, 5 foot 1.2 inches and 200 pounds. My pcd suggested w l surgery and I am considering the lap band with Dr. Kruger in Wareham, MA. '

I will be going to the seminar next week. I am worried that I won't meet the criteria that Harvard Pilgrim or Dr. Kruger will allow for the surgery. I have been overweight my whole life and now I have the repurcusions starting..

Does anyone know what the criteria for the surgery is? my bmi is around 38

Thanks for the help

Lois:confused:

i am from New Zealand so I have no idea about the criteria for insurance as most of our banding is done self pay. all I can say to you is it is the best thing I have ever done. my stats are similar to yours and after four months I have lost 21gks (dont know what that is in pounds) but I have my dignity back and my self esteme is growing by the day. my husband and I scrimpted and saved and it has been worth every penny, it is not a cure all and one has to work hard with the band but by this stage one learns what you can eat and you also realise how small those portions have become especially when you look at the amount other people eat. good luck

Welcome back to sunny WA Phyl lol hope you had a good trip coming home. Going to CA myself this year for a week going to go play at Disneyland. I was raised in CA so Disney was are playground. Carol

Hi, Carol,

Thanks for the welcome home.

Yeah, a bit of a shock to the system. My tan is fading quickly. And I so much miss my daily Water aerobics and soak in our mineral springs hot tubs! My left knee is killing me the past couple of days and I have an appt with my ortho surgeon on thursday! Hoping he'll agree to do the total on my left SOON! He says the right is more critical, but that one doesn't hurt! Had a partial on it a couple of years ago and he says the hardware is collapsing from the weight loss. He wants my BMI down to 40 before he does them, but I just can't wait any longer with this left one. I was doing great in CA, but after four days home I was having trouble even putting any weight on it. Bummer! Had to dig my cane out again just to get to the BR during the night!

And, oh boy, big storm with lots of wind, a "November" type storm coming this way in a couple of hours, according to the noon news weather report!

YUCK!

Trying to stay positive here!!

I AM enjoying being home with our daughters and families

and it was fun to see our three youngest grandchildren last weekend!

Edited by phyllser

This is my first post. I am 61, 5 foot 1.2 inches and 200 pounds. My pcd suggested w l surgery and I am considering the lap band with Dr. Kruger in Wareham, MA. I will be going to the seminar next week. I am worried that I won't meet the criteria that Harvard Pilgrim or Dr. Kruger will allow for the surgery. I have been overweight my whole life and now I have the repurcusions starting..

Does anyone know what the criteria for the surgery is? my bmi is around 38. Thanks for the help. Lois:confused:

Welcome, Lois!

Do you have insurance that might cover your surgery?

Criteria varies per doctor and per insurance company.

Most will look at a combination of your BMI, history of previous weight loss attempts, and co-morbidity factors such as diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep disorder, high cholesterol, heart disease, etc. If the seminar is conducted by the surgeon you have chosen, they will be telling you what their criteria is at that time, as well as a lot of info about the surgery itself, pre-op requirements and post-op management.

Phyl if you decide to go back to Palm Springs let me know If I can hitch a ride will pay for 1/2 the gas just to cold here in WA.

Carol

Hi Phyll, I had both of mine done at the same time because they were equally bad and equally painful. If you're a tough old bird like me, do it that way. They have you up and walking the next day either way. A friend of mine did that about 4 mos earlier and he did fine so I asked my Dr if he would do them both and he agreed, I was his first double and now he does a lot of them.

Phyl if you decide to go back to Palm Springs let me know If I can hitch a ride will pay for 1/2 the gas just to cold here in WA. Carol

LOL! You have that right!! 105 down there today. We won't be going back until fall... mid to late Sept.

DH would not like it but 105 is OKAY with me! I'm freezing!!

Hi Phyll, I had both of mine done at the same time because they were equally bad and equally painful. If you're a tough old bird like me, do it that way. They have you up and walking the next day either way. A friend of mine did that about 4 mos earlier and he did fine so I asked my Dr if he would do them both and he agreed, I was his first double and now he does a lot of them.

Had my appt today. X-rays don't show much change in the right... that's the one I had the partial.. about 5 yrs or so ago. He was concerned last year because the hardware was collapsing. Thinks that one can wait. Very little pain in that one. But left one is "shot", in his words... no cartilage. And lots of pain and immobility. But, lots of excess skin and fat just above the knee that concerns him because of increased risk of infection. So he is very reluctant to do it right now. He will if I press it, but wants me to see my primary care doc first, and even recommended a plastic surgery consult. I was glad he did that in front of DH because he has been fighting me on that "tooth and nail". In the meantime, he injected the knee with cortisone, and I assume some novocaine because I had just about instant relief. In fact, I'm going to get off here and try some exercises on my Wii Fit!

Hi

I a new to the sixties forum and I just discovered it today while I was lurking around Lap Band Talk;

I was banded on 1/16/09 and so far I have lost 50lbs. Is it unusual to lose 50lbs in 4 months?

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wbLuJjb/]

weight.png

[/url]

I don't know if it is unusual but I do know it is excellent! Great job!

Thank-you for the compliment and I must admit that I for the most part do everything the doctor, nurse and nutritionist says.

However, I had a few lap banders tell me it is unusual to lose 50lbs in 4 months.

Toyster, I think it is unusual, but certainly not a problem. You sound like you are following all the rules - better than I am, I'll bet! Congratulations on your loss, I think you are doing great!

Hello Everyone,

I haven't gained any weight but I certainly have not lost any. surgery was 12-17-2008 and I have lost 26 lbs. My fault but feels good to confess.

Hope you are all well and looking forward to the summer.

Aug 8 I will be 2 yrs out. I am 54 and have lost 60lbs. I will take the 60 but I was hoping for alot more at this point.

Hi

I a new to the sixties forum and I just discovered it today while I was lurking around Lap Band Talk;

I was banded on 1/16/09 and so far I have lost 50lbs. Is it unusual to lose 50lbs in 4 months?

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wbLuJjb/]

weight.png

[/url]

That is great for this age group I think, that is great. Good for you!!!

roxie: confesson is good for the soul. But congratulations for being 26lbs down and not up. Your journey is straight ahead. Don't look behind, this is not a race, but your personal journey. Loosing weight take work as we all know, but what good does it do to dwell on the past.

Welcome back and post to let us know of your weightloss next week.