Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New 60+ Thread

Isn't it strange when someone does not recognize you? I have had that happen to me, when it's been a while since someone has seen me.

Happened a few more times today, too.... once with a good friend! Saw her in costco and she didn't realize it was me right away.... and I saw her YESTERDAY! But... in a crowd today...saw me coming towards her and ...?? Funny! Out at the street sale, too.... neighbors on the next street thought my husband had a new girlfriend! LOL

Happened a few more times today, too.... once with a good friend! Saw her in costco and she didn't realize it was me right away.... and I saw her YESTERDAY! But... in a crowd today...saw me coming towards her and ...?? Funny! Out at the street sale, too.... neighbors on the next street thought my husband had a new girlfriend! LOL

Phyl

I meant to tell you that I love your ticker showing the credit card along the line of clothes. I wish I had a total of how much money I spent on new clothes since my surgery. Do you think it would be deductible as a medical expense (ha, ha!). But, I am not complaining at all! I was glad to spend every penny as the sizes got smaller and smaller. Also, many people benefited from the donation of my old things. Did you get rid of your old larger clothes? I didn't keep any of mine, because they is no way I am going back.

Karen

Phyl, I meant to tell you that I love your ticker showing the credit card along the line of clothes. I wish I had a total of how much money I spent on new clothes since my surgery. Do you think it would be deductible as a medical expense (ha, ha!). But, I am not complaining at all! I was glad to spend every penny as the sizes got smaller and smaller. Also, many people benefited from the donation of my old things. Did you get rid of your old larger clothes? I didn't keep any of mine, because they is no way I am going back.

Karen

LOL! I redid that ticker MONTHS ago and you are the first one to GET IT!! Yep, spent a lot of money on new clothes and gave away about a ton and a half I think!! Keeping track of all of it... that IS tax deductible, at least!! Sheez... I've even had some of my SHOES get too big! I have always had small, thin feet... but I guess they got smaller and thinner! Unfortunately, the rest of my legs are getting smaller VERY slowly! So my balance is not too good! Skinny feet and lower legs, then...shins BALLOON out and thighs... forget it!

A carrot, an egg, and a cup of coffee...You will never look at a cup of coffee the same way again.

A young woman went to her mother and told her about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did not know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up; she was tired of fighting and struggling. It seemed as one problem was solved, a new one arose.

Her mother took her to the kitchen. She filled three pots with Water and placed each on a high fire. Soon the pots came to boil. In the first she placed carrots, in the second she placed eggs, and in the last she placed ground coffee Beans. She let them sit and boil; without saying a word.

In about twenty minutes she turned off the burners. She fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl. She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl. Then she ladled the coffee out and placed it in a bowl. Turning to her daughter, she asked, ' Tell me what you see.'

'Carrots, eggs, and coffee,' she replied.

Her mother brought her closer and asked her to feel the carrots. She did and noted that they were soft. The mother then asked the daughter to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hardboiled egg.

Finally, the mother asked the daughter to sip the coffee. The daughter smiled as she tasted its rich aroma. The daughter then asked, 'What does it mean, mother?'

Her mother explained that each of these objects had faced the same adversity: boiling Water. Each reacted differently. The carrot went in strong, hard, and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak. The egg had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid interior, but after sitting through the boiling water, its inside became hardened. The ground coffee Beans were unique, however. After they were in the boiling water, they had changed the water.

'Which are you?' she asked her daughter. 'When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?

Think of this: Which am I? Am I the carrot that seems strong, but with pain and adversity do I wilt and become soft and lose my strength?

Am I the egg that starts with a malleable heart, but changes with the heat? Did I have a Fluid spirit, but after a death, a breakup, a financial hardship or some other trial, have I become hardened and stiff? Does my shell look the same, but on the inside am I bitter and tough with a stiff spirit and hardened heart?

Or am I like the coffee bean? The bean actually changes the hot water, the very circumstance that brings the pain. When the water gets hot, it releases the fragrance and flavor. If you are like the bean, when things are at their worst, you get better and change the situation around you. When the hour is the darkest and trials are their greatest do you elevate yourself to another level? How do you handle adversity?

Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?

12_4_38.gif 12_4_38.gif

A carrot, an egg, and a cup of coffee...You will never look at a cup of coffee the same way again.

A young woman went to her mother and told her about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did not know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up; she was tired of fighting and struggling. It seemed as one problem was solved, a new one arose.

Her mother took her to the kitchen. She filled three pots with Water and placed each on a high fire. Soon the pots came to boil. In the first she placed carrots, in the second she placed eggs, and in the last she placed ground coffee Beans. She let them sit and boil; without saying a word.

In about twenty minutes she turned off the burners. She fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl. She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl. Then she ladled the coffee out and placed it in a bowl. Turning to her daughter, she asked, ' Tell me what you see.'

'Carrots, eggs, and coffee,' she replied.

Her mother brought her closer and asked her to feel the carrots. She did and noted that they were soft. The mother then asked the daughter to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hardboiled egg.

Finally, the mother asked the daughter to sip the coffee. The daughter smiled as she tasted its rich aroma. The daughter then asked, 'What does it mean, mother?'

Her mother explained that each of these objects had faced the same adversity: boiling Water. Each reacted differently. The carrot went in strong, hard, and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak. The egg had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid interior, but after sitting through the boiling water, its inside became hardened. The ground coffee Beans were unique, however. After they were in the boiling water, they had changed the water.

'Which are you?' she asked her daughter. 'When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?

Think of this: Which am I? Am I the carrot that seems strong, but with pain and adversity do I wilt and become soft and lose my strength?

Am I the egg that starts with a malleable heart, but changes with the heat? Did I have a Fluid spirit, but after a death, a breakup, a financial hardship or some other trial, have I become hardened and stiff? Does my shell look the same, but on the inside am I bitter and tough with a stiff spirit and hardened heart?

Or am I like the coffee bean? The bean actually changes the hot water, the very circumstance that brings the pain. When the water gets hot, it releases the fragrance and flavor. If you are like the bean, when things are at their worst, you get better and change the situation around you. When the hour is the darkest and trials are their greatest do you elevate yourself to another level? How do you handle adversity?

Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?

12_4_38.gif 12_4_38.gif

Phyl

Thanks for sharing this excellent thought-provoking piece. Yes, let’s all hope we are coffee.

Hi Everyone I haven't seen any post in a long time, and wonder what is happening with everyone. I hope you are all doing well.

Happy Thanksgiving!!! Remember: Eat to live - not Live to Eat.

Happy thanksgiving to everyone.

I will be eating to live only this year, that will be a big change. I plan on just being a busy social butterfly and let everyone else eat for me.

Hi Everyone I haven't seen any post in a long time, and wonder what is happening with everyone. I hope you are all doing well. Happy Thanksgiving!!! Remember: Eat to live - not Live to Eat.
Happy thanksgiving to everyone. I will be eating to live only this year, that will be a big change. I plan on just being a busy social butterfly and let everyone else eat for me.

Good to see some action here!!

I have birthday tomorrow and then Thanksgiving the next day! TG dinner with good friends from days gone by! They are in the area for Thanksgiving week and invited us to their time-share condo for dinner. Looking forward to that. You didn't hear this... but I am going to Celebrate my birthday by going out to either lunch or dinner at one of my two favorite Italian restaurants!! Haven't decided which one yet. One has excellent food, but atmosphere.. not so much. The other one has atmosphere, pretty comparable food, but higher prices, too! I have to decide!

Happy Birthday, Phyl. Hope it's a great day, and the beginning of a great and healthly year.

Happy birthday, Phyl. I finally found this 60's and older thread. I've been on the 50's and older. Today is, also, my daughter-in-law's birthday.

My Thanksgiving plans are to go to a resturaunt that serves a Thanksgiving meal. I had my band on 10/30, and my daughter was banded on 11/20. Also, my son has celiac desease. So, I decided that no one needs or wants to eat the left overs. So, only left overs will be doggie bags from food not eaten by the ladies who have been banded. Well, have a great Thanksgiving day, I for one, have a lot to be thankful for this year. But,hopefully, a lot less to be thankful for next year. Karen

Happy Birthday Phyl. Hope everyone has a wonderful safe Thanksgiving. Remember, pace yourself.

Good to see some action here!!

I have birthday tomorrow and then Thanksgiving the next day! TG dinner with good friends from days gone by! They are in the area for Thanksgiving week and invited us to their time-share condo for dinner. Looking forward to that. You didn't hear this... but I am going to Celebrate my birthday by going out to either lunch or dinner at one of my two favorite Italian restaurants!! Haven't decided which one yet. One has excellent food, but atmosphere.. not so much. The other one has atmosphere, pretty comparable food, but higher prices, too! I have to decide!

Happy Birthday and many more to come. Take the atmosphere, food is secondary now - right! :thumbup:

Thanks so much for all your birthday wishes!! I had a GREAT fun-filled day! I had my very favorite spaghetti & meat balls for lunch at one of my favorite area restaurants (chose atmosphere!) ... brought home enough leftovers for three more meals! Went to see "Blind Side" this afternoon.. great movie! Then DH took me to Starbucks, and we ended the day at Walmart! I had phone calls from my Mom, one of my sisters and all four kids (though one didn't seem to remember that it was my birthday)! I always had a birthday cake growing up, and even at 66, it doesn't seem like a birthday without birthday cake. So at Walmart I thought I'd buy myself a cupcake. But they had these little squares of birthday cake for $1.50, so I bought one! Perfect! Had a little wine when I got home, and my cake! DH was annoyed that I didn't share! But he bought himself a little cherry pie that he didn't share! I feel NO guilt!! LOL

Looking forward to Thanksgiving dinner with old friends tomorrow.

8_5_1.gif

8_5_32.gif

8_5_15.gif

8_5_36.gif 8_5_36.gif 8_5_36.gif