Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New 60+ Thread

Just checking in, well I am really feeling better, still a little weak but got it together, except.....what do you all eat after your surgery? I am living on broth, Jello and Water, is there anything else we can have? I get a high just off of smelling foods. I am not hungrey, but I crave a different taste. If anyone knows something else PLEASE let me know asap. Have a good one. Hugs Rosie

PS I hope everyone is doing great and losing pounds!!!

Rosie... are you restricted to Clear liquids?? I'm trying to remember what I had during that stage. I wonder if a clear Soup would be okay... like Tomato Soup? ? Or even warmed up Tomato juice or V-8 might be okay. Or chicken noodle or vegetable Soup with all the "stuff" strained out, just to give you a little different flavor. Just have to watch the sodium in those canned Soups... but you can buy low sodium, too. Do you like Crystal Lite?? There are a lot of different flavors you can get... and the store brands are cheaper than the name brand...

Albertson's, Safeway, Wal-Mart, etc. all have their own versions of it with lots of flavors to choose from.

7_4_13.gif

You are in a difficult phase of this journey, but it'll be over before you know it. Hang in there! Glad to hear you're feeling better!

Just checking in, well I am really feeling better, still alittle week but got it together, except.....what do you all eat after your surgery? I am living on broth, Jello and Water, is there anything else we can have? I get a high just off of smelling foods. I am not hungrey, but I crave a different taste. If anyone knows something else PLEASE let me know asap.

Have a good one. Hugs Rosie

PS I hope everyone is doing great and losing pounds!!!

sugar free Popsicles were also ok. When can you do Protein shakes like Adkins? I was able to do those very soon, like about three or four days after surgery. Be careful with them because not all are low carb/low calorie but the Adkins shakes are perfect. I still (about 6 months post op) keep them in the house. When I feel really hungry and don't want to take time to fix something, I grab a shake to make sure I have something tasty and healthy.

Phyl, You are right, and I am not liking it either. I haven't really had a hard time with being limited until yesterday, it's like I'm not all that hungry, but i am craving different taste. I have clear broth, Jello and Water. I do like C. L. but It gives me heart burn. I also find it hard to drink all that water because I have to sip, and that takes alot getting it down. I get tired of sipping. The good news, I hope it is good. Thursday I go to I. F. and have my first meal.......I think it must be oatmeal or something soft like that but there are lots of soft food. So I am excited about that. If I can have Tomato Soup, I think I would be in heaven....Well thanks for the info.

When did you get banded? and how are you doing? I would like to hear your story.

Well got to go and try and get a pic. on here.

Hugs, Rosie

Hi, yes I am feeling much better...A little sore inside but other than that I am doing good. Now I can start on a new road.....I lost 22 lbs in 21 days. I think that is good, but not sure if for this its good. although I am happy.

I am now able to eat Soup, and soft foods, 1 per cent milk, don't know if i can do that. I am a milk drinker and I will probably end up giving up milk, except for hot cereals. Next week I think I will be able to go on full food. I don't have to see the doc. any more unless their is a problem. I still have to go to I.F. to New U, as they will do my fills and everything else. I am a little worried about my first fill. I think I will need one as I still am getting a little hungry in between meals.... I wasn't before but I think that might of been because of the swelling. But life if good now if I can get on here when I am not tired and get the ticker on here I will be on my was.

Thanks for the concern.

Hugs Rosie

Glad to hear things are getting better Rosie. 22 lbs in 21 days may be a bit too much. Now that you are on soft foods it should help keep up your energy level.

How long has it been since your surgery? I got my first fill about a month after my surgery. It worked out just fine but I had not had the complications you have had.

Hi Ya'll,

I just had my latest Doc visit. Found out I was low on Iron and have to start taking Iron tablets. Other than that the Doc said I'm doing very well.

Next moth on my next Doc's appt. I'll also be seeing the Diatition to check on how I'm doing. I still think I'm eating too much at one time, so I'm correcting some of my eating habits. Next Appt I'll probibly be tweeked again. W'll see.

Over than that I'm doing very well and am very happy I've been Banded.

Don

PS: Happy to see the new people that have been Banded. Good luck to all of you and hang in there.

Hi everyone! I just found this site and it is great except I went in the chat room and I think I am a little out of my element. I am 63 and have been banded since July 21, 2008. Most people in there seem like they are pretty young and I think our problems are a little different than what they talk about. There seems to be a lot of talk about babies, boobs, flirting etc. etc. and there is nothing wrong with that but I feel it hard to keep up or stay interested. I am not a computer whiz and this was my first experience in a forum, on a blog and first chat. I had lost 58 pounds but have been going up the same 13 pounds. I need help and motivation is there anybody can help me get back on track. I have type 2 diabetes, arthritis, fibromyalgia and am on a lot of medication. I want to be healthy and be around awhile longer!!! Hope this doesn't come across as whinning i just need other golden agers advice. Hope I hear from somebody!!!

Hi NOel. Welcome to 60+. I am 66 and know what you mean when mixed groups are mostly young. Nothing wrong with their interests, just not mine as I am past worrying about my boobs, etc. Now I just want to look good, be healthy and join the living by being able to get on an airplane.

You certainly have done well since the band was put on. Congratulations.

Thanks Doddie! You also have done very well and we are very close in our stats i wonder how you losses have gone? Have you lost consistantly and how much do you lose a week. What are you eating by now? My goal is strictly better health so hope i will continue even though it has gotten harder. Thanks again!!

Noel. I loose consistantly 1 to 2 lbs per month on average. I have never lost big time as I can't exercise all that much. I am not able to judge quantities so I have to measusre everything. I eat one egg, 1 peice of WW bread for Breakfast, low fat yogurt, tuna or other fish for lunch, tea and stonewheat thins with Peanut Butter at tea time and anything a dinnertime. Although contrary to most everyone else, I can't eat more than 4 to 6 oz at night. I don't know why I am so restricted. I have 5.5 ccs in a 10 cc band and keep a loose fill because of my failure to chew properly.

The band has helped me know the feeling of full which I had never known before. I do keep track of everything on Fitday as well. Sigh, even with the band one has to work at getting the weight off.

How about you what do you eat? and How has your weight loss happened.

Hi all

I am in the 60+ group but still waiting in the wings for surgery. I know if I wait around too long and think some miracle is going to happen to move the weight ,I might be in the 70's plus and the decision won 't be any easier.

I just want to say to you guys writing in, that everything you contribute to this board is helpful .

Noel gaining 13 lbs must be a bit of a let down. When you are on a lot of medications ,it is always a worry about whether they are increasing your craving for carbs . I think some medications can do that. You have also lost a lot of weight Noel . I think there is something called a plateau .

Maybe others know whether there is such a thing with the lapband diet.When I had a chat with my surgeon he said that ! KG ( approx) 2lbs a month was the goal .( That's here in Australia of course !!!

Yahoo!!!! I have reached my goal this morning. Now maintenance is the goal!

Congratulations! What a great accomplishment! Like Doddie says, the band sure doesn't do everything - we still have to work at weight loss by eating healthy foods and getting as much exercise as possible. You have done a great job. I am looking forward to that day myself!