Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New 60+ Thread

thanks for all the input... Everyone said "don't you have a problem with bread" and so now, 8 mo. after my surgery, I have a problem with bread.... so we all adjust and ladapt differently... used to be okay with toast and garlic toast... no more.... my last fill was several months ago and this bread problem just developed.. so.... I will adjust.. I am a slow looser.... 1 or 2 lbs per month.. but no matter what I do.. I loose.... Cruise vacation this month.. concentrated very hard on when I was full.. and consequently ate 1/2 of everything.... and lost 1 lb.. so.. I coast merrily along.. on good days... knowing.. I will not gain... and that is a good thing....Love to you all, Kathy.

Hi all,

I got my date, March 31, and today i started on my diet.....to shrink the liver, I think I said kidney on my last post....Sorry. I am so excited about all this. I really didn't know if this day would ever come....I am on my way.

Rosie

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone eaten popcorn? I know they tell us not to and I haven't but would love some popcorn.

I have lost 25 lbs since December 17, 2008, date of surgery. Slowwww

Don,

I had a fill last week and really feel the restriction. It feels like a lump in my chest that won't go down, if I eat more than a couple of bites or drink too much.

MaRosie,

Congratulations! No matter how I complain, I feel better with the band than without!

Hi JoAnn and Phyl,

Thanks, as always, for your sensible, knowledgeable advice. :tt2: roxie

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone eaten popcorn? I know they tell us not to and I haven't but would love some popcorn.

I have lost 25 lbs since December 17, 2008, date of surgery. Slowwww

Don,

I had a fill last week and really feel the restriction. It feels like a lump in my chest that won't go down, if I eat more than a couple of bites or drink too much.

MaRosie,

Congratulations! No matter how I complain, I feel better with the band than without!

Hi JoAnn and Phyl,

Thanks, as always, for your sensible, knowledgeable advice. :tt2: roxie

Don't let slow weight loss get you discouraged. I am 20 mos out... 109 lb down. Slow but steady wins the race. Not that this is a race!!

:tongue_smilie::biggrin::thumbup:

Popcorn.... a friend on another thread eats 100 cal bags frequently... microwave type, with no problem. Chew, chew, chew. Take it slow and easy and see if it goes down okay if you must have it. There are worse things you could indulge in, and if you plan your treats, you can do it. Right now I am so tight I can barely take anything but my 3 meals. My nightly snack is usually a Jello pudding 70 cal rice pudding, but last few nights, didn't dare have it. Maybe tonight.

1041.gif

Don't let slow weight loss get you discouraged. I am 20 mos out... 109 lb down. Slow but steady wins the race. Not that this is a race!!

:tongue_smilie::biggrin::thumbup:

Popcorn.... a friend on another thread eats 100 cal bags frequently... microwave type, with no problem. Chew, chew, chew. Take it slow and easy and see if it goes down okay if you must have it. There are worse things you could indulge in, and if you plan your treats, you can do it. Right now I am so tight I can barely take anything but my 3 meals. My nightly snack is usually a Jello pudding 70 cal rice pudding, but last few nights, didn't dare have it. Maybe tonight.

1041.gif

Phyll, have your losses been better since you are so tight? I am quite a bit tighter, too - and I know I am not eating more than I should (CAN'T!). Yet my losses have not improved. I am struggling with the same 1 1/2 pounds up and down all week, basically have lost 1-2 pounds since this fill 3 weeks ago. This was my pattern with no restriction - I had hoped for better results when I had better restriction (like now!). I am not going to have any more fills till I return from our trip in May. I retain Water at night and feel a little bit waterlogged every morning. I discussed this with both surgeon and my private physician and neither thought it was an issue because I have no other symptoms that would indicate a problem. All my labs came back great last week. I am drinking 60-80 oz of Water daily, calories between 800-1100 daily. I have been eating some carbs - thinking I might cut those out. I do get plenty of Protein. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Babe! You are such a trouper! :tt2:

Phyll, have your losses been better since you are so tight? I am quite a bit tighter, too - and I know I am not eating more than I should (CAN'T!). Yet my losses have not improved. I am struggling with the same 1 1/2 pounds up and down all week, basically have lost 1-2 pounds since this fill 3 weeks ago. This was my pattern with no restriction - I had hoped for better results when I had better restriction (like now!). I am not going to have any more fills till I return from our trip in May. I retain Water at night and feel a little bit waterlogged every morning. I discussed this with both surgeon and my private physician and neither thought it was an issue because I have no other symptoms that would indicate a problem. All my labs came back great last week. I am drinking 60-80 oz of Water daily, calories between 800-1100 daily. I have been eating some carbs - thinking I might cut those out. I do get plenty of Protein. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Babe! You are such a trouper! :tongue_smilie:

Very similar pattern to yours....first week I was down a little, then down 5.6 the next week, then up 3 lb, this week down .6 lb! That bad week... too many social situations where I didn't over do it, but ate more carbs than I normally do. Very tight this week so I was kind of disappointed to see the scale go down just .6 lb! Hopefully next week will be better. But I typically see a big loss, then up & down until I settle at that weight, then another big drop. It's crazy! No suggestions... just hang in there... it's slow, steady, and going in the right direction. I'm getting impatient because I want to get my knees done while we're home this summer and ortho guy wants my BMI at 40 before he does them.

I put this down a the body reacting to weight loss. When it has to use the fat for energy, it replaces with Water. If we already have a water retention problem, it goes without saying the body will hold the water in the extra spaces fat has vacated. Just my theory and I am sticking to it. LOL

I put this down a the body reacting to weight loss. When it has to use the fat for energy, it replaces with Water. If we already have a Water retention problem, it goes without saying the body will hold the water in the extra spaces fat has vacated. Just my theory and I am sticking to it. LOL

You may be on to something, Doddie! Neither of my doctors had an explanation, so your's already sounds better than their's. It makes sense to me.

Being up and around seems to get the water moving - after coffee and the water it takes to wash down Vitamins, I am often lighter than when I first get up. Right now it is 10:20am and my hands indicate no water retention there. PCP suggested if there is no shortness of breath, chest pain, or other such symptoms, not to worry about it. I won't worry - but sure wish the pounds would go away. It's been 2 weeks w/no loss right now, and I'm just a little frustrated. I just stay with the program and figure I will eventually get back on track.

Thanks for your words of wisdom! from BOTH of you!

:frown::biggrin::(

1041.gif

Yes, I do eat popcorn and have no trouble with it. Help...I hear people talk about PB. What do the letters stand for? I am pretty sure they are talking about getting food stuck but I need some clarification as to what the letters stand for?

nrpnrp: Productive burp - another nice name for vomiting. Some like to make a distinction in that food disgorged from the pouch is not the same as the main stomach as there is no acid/bile in it. I am not a medical person, but I call it as I see it. Vomiting under any name is not good for us. By calling it PBing it seems that the action is not as serious but in fact it is. Try not to.

I know from whence I speak, because I vomit at least once or twice a months simply because I don't chew. I am walking on thin ice and desparately trying to change, getting better but haven't conquered it yet.

Thanks for the info. I have had a couple of episodes of pbing. It seems to be that I eat too fast from time to time. It is a learning experience.

Thanks for the info. I have had a couple of episodes of pbing. It seems to be that I eat too fast from time to time. It is a learning experience.

My issue is waiting between bites when I am really hungry. I am learning though, much better to wait, if I can remember, than to vomit, which is what I do, no burp involved.

I had an episode at a wedding reception. I ate far less and far slower than the other guests at the table. Non the less, I ate too much too quickly. I could feel it coming so I went to the ladies room and no one knew that I lost it. Yes, I so agree that that this part of learning new habits. It was not pleasant but I was able to eat a little dessert then.

Hi all, Well I am getting ready to leave for I F tomorrow, and will have my surgery on Tuesday, March 31 st. I am so excited. I live in Dillon and all the passes are closed, can't get in or out........so I just hope they open up tomorrow so I can leave. I think I have done pretty good on my liver diet. I haven't checked my weight except on the fifth day of my diet and I had lost 6 lbs....so I hope I am down some more. I know they say you should lose between 15 and 20 lbs, so we will see tomorrow.

I have to stay over night but will be home Wed. and I will let everyone know how I did.

Also I really would like to know how to set up my pic. and the ticker....Good night talk to you all in a few days.

Rosie

Hi all, Well I am getting ready to leave for I F tomorrow, and will have my surgery on Tuesday, March 31 st. I am so excited. I live in Dillon and all the passes are closed, can't get in or out........so I just hope they open up tomorrow so I can leave. I think I have done pretty good on my liver diet. I haven't checked my weight except on the fifth day of my diet and I had lost 6 lbs....so I hope I am down some more. I know they say you should lose between 15 and 20 lbs, so we will see tomorrow.

I have to stay over night but will be home Wed. and I will let everyone know how I did.

Also I really would like to know how to set up my pic. and the ticker....Good night talk to you all in a few days.

Rosie

Rosie - it's been a long road for you. That is hard - but you have had lots of time to think about this decision, read and research, talk to people here, and learn whether or not this is the step for you. I really think my wait was very good for me. All that time seemed like wasted time, esp at first, but by the time the date rolled around, I realized how committed I had become, I recognized all the doors that had been opened for me, and I knew this was the right decision. In reading the posts here I've realized the the most committed people are the most successful, and most of them had to wait and ponder a while before they could actually have the surgery. This whole journey is not an easy one, but very rewarding.

#1 right now - don't get hung up on how much you are losing during the pre-surgery stage. As with this whole process, everyone is different and every one loses at a different pace - no matter what stage you are in. Begin this process knowing that you will lose the weight at your own pace and you will not compare yourself to other people. This is your journey, no one else's.

Are you wanting to add a picture to your avatar? If so, go to the CP user section (upper left of each page) and open it. Along the left side of the page you will find the different sections you can personalize and modify. I don't remember the exact titles of sections, but avatar is one of them. Click on that, scroll down to the bottom of that page and you will see an option to bring in pics from either another internet site or browse your computer for the picture you want. I browsed and selected my picture, clicked on open and brought it in from the stack of pictures on my computer. It was pretty easy. For a ticker, do a search for ticker instructions. I'm sorry I don't remember the actual link, but it should come up for you. I had some trouble making it work and Alex (the super-super user) helped me with it. (I'm guessing my problem had to do with the settings on my computer, not the instructions.) It goes into the Edit Signature section of the CP user page.

You are in my prayers for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. I have every reason to believe you will come through with flying colors! God Bless you as you begin this amazing journey.