Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New 60+ Thread

caroleNY I sometimes eat a few almonds (8-10) if I think I am really hungry between meals. They are a good source of Protein, and Fiber. I buy bags of the the unsalted natural whole almonds that are available in the snack section of the drug store. Of course, you can't do this too often. Another thing I do is drink something. Most times I am really just thristy, not hungry. A cup of caffine free tea, or some Crystal Lite gets rid of what I thought was hunger. Good lucK to you.

Hi Everyone,

Update. I received my first fill last week. Not so pleasant. The PA tried to find my port twice and then had to get another PA who did find it but it took 3 tries. They said it was because I had a lot of scar tissue. Whatever, it wasn't fun. I have lost 18 lbs. The PA said,"you are a slow loser", no kidding. I am a little cynical today. Hope everyone else is doing well.

I am losing even slower - banded on 12/7 and filled on 12/9 and still hardly any weight loss

but I can not drink the fluids - I am on dialysis

so you sound like you are doing great - I would hate the three times with the needle

you are brave

I do not fill much restriction and will go back tomorrow for my second fill

Hi Everyone,

Update. I received my first fill last week. Not so pleasant. The PA tried to find my port twice and then had to get another PA who did find it but it took 3 tries. They said it was because I had a lot of scar tissue. Whatever, it wasn't fun. I have lost 18 lbs. The PA said,"you are a slow loser", no kidding. I am a little cynical today. Hope everyone else is doing well.

The fills will get better as you lose. Even the surgeon had trouble finding mine the first few times. Last summer when I went in for my 5th, I was in and out in no time at all! The PA laughed when I commented on how fast she found the port this time and she told me that was why... I lot less fat to get through to find it. It was wonderful!

36_2_54.gif

I have another question. I have had one fill so far and I am not feeling that full. Is it better to eat a little more at a meal (eating 3 meals a day) and not snack between or is it better to eat your 1 cup and have a snack between meals. I am still learning and my weight is slowly moving down. I am afraid that I will start eating bad stuff or grazing if I don't get that full feeiling. Any suggestions?

Hi: My instructions from my clinic is hard Protein every 3 hours in the prescribed amount of 3oz of Protein, with meals limited to 1 cup. What does your clinic suggest? I am a grazer and find the hard protein every three hours filling and takes away my need to graze. Also, when I am fighting head hunder, I try to do something. My usual is to sit at the computer or go for a walk. I have a loose fill because I tend to gulp my food so the protein regime is very helpful.

I have another question. I have had one fill so far and I am not feeling that full. Is it better to eat a little more at a meal (eating 3 meals a day) and not snack between or is it better to eat your 1 cup and have a snack between meals. I am still learning and my weight is slowly moving down. I am afraid that I will start eating bad stuff or grazing if I don't get that full feeiling. Any suggestions?

How cold is it? I live in Silver City, New Mexico. We get cold at night here.

Hello, I am new to the group and being banded tomorrow. I grew up in Silver City, NM, and miss it terribly. I've been gone since 1965, but it will always be close to my heart. It was a wonderful place to grow up. Sorry if this isn't lap-band related.

So let me introduce myself. My name is Penny; I'm 61 and have been overweight ever since I left Silver City - LOL. Have two sons, two grandsons, one granddaughter, and another grandson on the way. Next to them, the love of my life is my Maltese, Henry. I am a retired teacher, love to play bridge and build dollhouse miniatures. So that's my intro - and yes, if I ever post a picture my hair is natural - I was named for the copper red hair I was born with - maybe from all the copper in Grant County - yeah right.

Hugs to all, Penny

I am losing even slower - banded on 12/7 and filled on 12/9 and still hardly any weight loss

but I can not drink the fluids - I am on dialysis

so you sound like you are doing great - I would hate the three times with the needle

you are brave

I do not fill much restriction and will go back tomorrow for my second fill

Thank you twirl. Let us know how the second fill went.

Hello, I am new to the group and being banded tomorrow. I grew up in Silver City, NM, and miss it terribly. I've been gone since 1965, but it will always be close to my heart. It was a wonderful place to grow up. Sorry if this isn't lap-band related.

So let me introduce myself. My name is Penny; I'm 61 and have been overweight ever since I left Silver City - LOL. Have two sons, two grandsons, one granddaughter, and another grandson on the way. Next to them, the love of my life is my Maltese, Henry. I am a retired teacher, love to play bridge and build dollhouse miniatures. So that's my intro - and yes, if I ever post a picture my hair is natural - I was named for the copper red hair I was born with - maybe from all the copper in Grant County - yeah right.

Hugs to all, Penny

WELCOME, Penny! Good to get acquainted with you. So where do you live now?? So glad that you found LBT. A great place to get support, encouragement, and a slap on the wrist when you need it!!

:)

We don't always stick to subject, so you don't need to apologize for that! Whatever is on your mind is okay!

Would enjoy seeing a picture of that copper red hair!

So your surgery is tomorrow! Have you been on a pre-op diet? Most of us had to do that. My dr. wanted me to lose 10% of my body weight prior to surgery. I didn't quite make it, but I did get my BMI below 60 and that was another thing that made him uncomfortable, so that put a bit of a smile on his face and he agreed to go ahead.

What kind of post-op regime have they given you??

We're here for you, so keep us posted! And, I highly recommend another thread as well... under the "Mentors" threads, "I'm Here to Help" is a GREAT place for "newbies"!

WELCOME, Penny! Good to get acquainted with you. So where do you live now?? So glad that you found LBT. A great place to get support, encouragement, and a slap on the wrist when you need it!! :thumbup:

We don't always stick to subject, so you don't need to apologize for that! Whatever is on your mind is okay!

Would enjoy seeing a picture of that copper red hair!

So your surgery is tomorrow! Have you been on a pre-op diet? Most of us had to do that. My dr. wanted me to lose 10% of my body weight prior to surgery. I didn't quite make it, but I did get my BMI below 60 and that was another thing that made him uncomfortable, so that put a bit of a smile on his face and he agreed to go ahead.

What kind of post-op regime have they given you??

We're here for you, so keep us posted! And, I highly recommend another thread as well... under the "Mentors" threads, "I'm Here to Help" is a GREAT place for "newbies"!

I am totally confused as to how this board works. I had my surgery Thursday and was back at my son's about three hours later. (It is now Sunday). I really haven't had any problems at all. I was on the full two-week liquid pre-op diet and I lost 10 pounds on that. I think I have lost another 3. My doctor is very good and very thorough - he has post op instructions spelled out thoroughly. Two days were clear liquids; two weeks liquids; two weeks mushies; two weeks a little more real food; and then the real thing. I see him again next week.

If I ever figure out how to post pictures - I'll try to post one of me. The reason I mentioned Silver city is there were some posts from a lady who lives there at the beginning of this thread - but I finally figured out to go to the end of the thread to begin my posting. I am really glad to have found a group for those of us who are "well seasoned, but young at heart".

Hugs, Penny

Welcome Penny,

It sounds like you are doing just fine with your post op routine. I was banded in early December. My loss has been pretty good, altho I lost very slowly in late January. I had my first fill Jan 9, second fill last Friday - Feb 6. I should have gone ahead and scheduled a fill a week or so sooner, but decided to tough it out. I think I could have had a better month if I had had this fill a little sooner. I am nicely restricted now - can eat anything with no problem, but I am filling up quickly and I know I can't add anymore when that full signal flares. It is making me more conscious of eating the Protein first, veggies second to make sure I get the necessary nutrients.

I am becoming a big fan of this band of mine. I wish I could have done this a long time ago, but better now than never! It is great to have a chance at a healthier life and enjoying these retirement years so much more. My DH is a very active 69, loves hiking, biking, 4-wheeling, etc. I always enjoyed those activities with him until the combination of severe arthritis and excess weight began to take its toll. I have been on that merry-go-round for several years and I am looking forward to breaking that vicious circle up. We are starting to make plans for spring and summer activities...

Good luck on your journey and welcome to this thread.

Hi again, Well, when I posted how great I felt - I think I jinxed myself. That was last Sunday. I woke up Monday morning with a fairly high fever, called my doctor and drove to downtown Dallas. Wouldn't you know - their thermometer showed no fever - they told me it hadn't been working! But he put me on antibiotics and checked my incision - nothing wrong with the incision. By Monday night I was coughing my head off - but not a chest cough. I guess I caught whatever my grandson had last week. I still have a low fever and a horrible cough - my question is - can this coughing so soon after surgery hurt the band or cause any slippage? I hold my stomach every time I cough. I am doing my breathing exercises, but I am concerned about the cough. The doctor didn't seem that concerned, but I wasn't coughing that much then. Also, is it ok to take over the counter cough Syrup? If so, what kind? My fever is finally starting to go down, but this has not been a pleasant experience.

Hugs,

Penny

I think that the lap band is higher than our stomach... where the port is - is where our stomach is... I have trouble in aqua fit when we jump as I have to hold my stomach/belly cause itis so floppy now but, you never know... you should ask your doctor... Kathy

Hi Everyone,

I am 60 yrs. old. I had my band surgery on 1/19/09. I go for my 1st fill on 2/19/09. I have been doing pretty well so far. I have had a few ups and downs. I was very happy to find the 60's+ group. I look forward to discussing different topics with all of you

Mamaw02