Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Minnesota Folks

Hi Minnesotians! Ok so I'm from Pennyslvania but I was born in Big Fork and raised in Grand Rapids. Met my hubby while he was there working on the power plant and left my beloved Minnesota for a life with him. I've been gone 27 years and Pennsylvania is now home to me too. My family is still in Mn - most are in Grand Rapids area, but my sister lives near Mpls in Ham Lake. I've been lurking on your thread for a while and just wanted to say hi.

Welcome to the board. I had my surgery on December 9th and have lost 32 so far. I'm very happy. Have you had your surgery?

Thank you! Yes I had my surgery December 11th. At my last visit I was down 16 lbs. I go next Wed. for my first fill.

Thank you! Yes I had my surgery December 11th. At my last visit I was down 16 lbs. I go next Wed. for my first fill.

I haven't had a fill yet. I'm really scared. I don't know why but it scares me. But, I will when I should. I think the doc wants to do a fill on Feb 8th. Got any plans for the weekend?

Hello Stephanie!!!

Welcome to the Minnesota forum. As all Minnesotan's do I will tell you about the weather!!! Today it is 25 degrees and we finally got some snow. Only two inches so far- not enough to drive our snowmobiles on - we are bummed.

Banded in Decenber- good for you. Looks like you are doing well.

acdsmitte 06/22/06

288/222/175

Thanks for the warm welcome. I know about the weather, my family keeps me posted. A few years ago we got dumped on in PA and when I went home that year (I usually fly in for a week in Jan/Feb) my brothers were so jealous because they didn't have much snow. Last year my girls and I drove home between Christmas and NY and Minn was having a warm spell - the girls said it wasn't any different then PA - hehe - the got lucky that visit. We normally take our family vacation in the summer - wonder why? so we will be home in July this year. The guys are doing a canoe trip down the Big Fork river.

I'm not afraid to get my fill - I actually can't wait! Couldn't be soon enough. I feel like I'm dieting right now. So I'm hoping the fill will make it a little easier.

Hi Steph!

I actually live in Blaine, right next to Ham Lake where your sister is. I teach in Andover, the city on the other side of Ham Lake. So it's a small world. Welcome!

Jon

wow is it ever! My sister actually lived in Andover until they bought the new house. I guess I've been in your neighborhood! What church do you go to? They go to an Assembly of God. I'm thinking that it might be in Anoka tho.

I am new here. I had my band done in Crosby, MN at MIMIS by Dr. Paul Severson. This group is very well respected in the Bariatric circles of drs. in the midwest. I have been very happy with my care. It is only 90 minutes from Duluth. You can contact Shar at 1-888-546-4343. My surgery was done in 2003 and have been at goal after one year of being banded. The bariatric dept. still keeps in touch and makes sure I am back there yearly. The first year, it was every month. Now, if I feel I need a fill, they are very good about it. I loved my experience there and highly recommend them.:rolleyes:

Ericsmom

I found out a co-worker at the school I work at is having the band on October 10th and he has asked if I will be his mentor. I said I'd love to and told him that his homework was to check out this site. He'll be having his surgery in Duluth, MN at St. Mary's just like I did, but with the other surgeon who is skilled in this procedure, Dr. Medland...I've heard good things about him as well. Keep us posted on your journey to lapband land...

How did your co-workers surgery go? Is he a member on this forum? Would like to hear his opinion on things. I am waiting for my surgery date to be scheduled with Dr. Medlin. I live in Hayward Wi. but having surgery at St Mary's can't wait for this to happen it has been going on since July lot of hoops.

Terry

Terry - my co-worker's surgery went great and he is down 45 lbs to-date...I've taken to calling him baggy pants LOL!

There are 4 of us at Superior Middle School that have the band - 3 had Medlin and I had Lenz. My port is on my left side, as is the first one that had it...the second two have theirs in the middle of their stomach above their belly button. I guess each person is different and they find the best place to put it.

Did you get a date set yet?

I am new here. I had my band done in Crosby, MN at MIMIS by Dr. Paul Severson. This group is very well respected in the Bariatric circles of drs. in the midwest. I have been very happy with my care. It is only 90 minutes from Duluth. You can contact Shar at 1-888-546-4343. My surgery was done in 2003 and have been at goal after one year of being banded. The bariatric dept. still keeps in touch and makes sure I am back there yearly. The first year, it was every month. Now, if I feel I need a fill, they are very good about it. I loved my experience there and highly recommend them.:)

I've heard good things about the Crosby Center. Glad to hear you are doing so well! As I am only 6 months out from my surgery, I still go monthly for my visits. Since they didn't start doing lap bands in Duluth until March 17th, I am assuming you chose Crosby because it was the closest center to go besides going to the Twin Cities. Are you in the Brainerd area?

Yes, I live in the crow wing county area. After researching, I found that the Crosby drs. were the most experienced back then. I am so glad that I had the band....if ever I start to gain a little weight, I just go in for a fill and I am back to being a "new" bandster. I had some plastic surgery done a couple of years ago for the hanging skin on my belly. Insurance even paid for it because I had rashes from the skin....Life is very good now and, like you, will never get obese again. Good luck on your new journey!

Tess

Hi everyone!! Im in East Bethel and Im just starting the process of lap band. Attending info meetings and trying to choose the surgeon. Im leaning toward Park Nicollet at this point. Any one have any comments on Dr. Lederer or any of the surgeons at park nicollet? WAKE UP MINNESOTA!! :notagree :notagree :) :)

Welcome, Kim-

I'm just down the street from you in Blaine, and I teach in Andover. There are Minnesotan's lurking, we must all just be quiet :)

Blessings to you!

Jon

Welcome, Kim-

I'm just down the street from you in Blaine, and I teach in Andover. There are Minnesotan's lurking, we must all just be quiet :)

Blessings to you!

Jon