Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Minnesota Folks

Hello fellow Minnosotans! I just got approved for my surgery and I also am having Dr. Weitherille (sp?) perform my surgery. I am meeting with him on Thursday!! There is also a forum on Yahoo for Park Nicollet patients called PNCBandsters that I am on sometimes. I like this site though because there are a ton of people on here.

What is the pre 10 day diet like? I have heard so many things on here that doctors require.

Thanks!

-Meg

I had Dr. W too, and he does good work! You really don't see him at all once surgery's done, but his PA Amy is WONDERFUL! His nurse Carol's a doll too!

The preop fast can be frustrating but you need to just keep your "eyes on the prize" and know it's only 10 days and you win a bouncing baby lap-band when you're done!

I just used the canned slimfast shakes 6 times a day, and filled in with broth or clear juices between meals. I also cut all caffeine during the fast. It helps a lot if you can find other places to be when people in the house are eating, and find a craft or activity to keep your hands busy so you don't get tempted to eat.

Feel free to drop me a message if you want to chat more!

Crystal, I just posted a response to another with Dr. W but thought I'd reiterate. He's a great surgeon and will do a great job explaining everything (you'll get plenty of info from the nurses in your 1 hour preop class too). He's a smart guy and an able surgeon.

Once you're past your surgery, you won't see much of Dr. W, but will probably work with his PA Amy, and his nurse Carol. They're WONDERFUL! I look forward to my postop appointments every month.

Stay in touch if you want to get more info. Let us know how your appointment goes!

Thanks! I was thinking about getting some Protein Powder at GNC and using that along with Slimfast to get some variety? Are those ok?

Wow 50 pounds in 4 months that's amazing!!! How is it going for you? Do you ever go to the support group at the Bank Building?

Thanks - that does include 12 lbs from the 10 day fast but in general, it's been really easy for me so far and I'm pretty happy. Make use of the food rules they give you and you'll do great! Amy the PA swears the new AP bands are a big help too (I have to agree).

I haven't gone to the support group yet but I'm goign to shoot for it this week. I hear there's a group that meets on the other wednesday nights for dinner at Perkins in Bloomington, and I may check that out too since it's on the way home for me.

I figured I'd just get a big pile of the slimfasts and keep it simple. SInce it's only 10 days, it's not that big a deal (kinda helps to treat it like a "prescription" and just take it on regular intervals so it feels more official and you're less tempted). I had some carnation instant Breakfast too but found it wasn't as filling. Just don't buy more than you need, since the sugar in the slimfast is a no-no once you're post-op.

I feel really blessed to have my band, and that I've had so little trouble with complications etc. The group at PNC is wonderful too, and I really feel like they're a great resource, even if I only see them for my monthly postops. I spend a lot of time out on lapbandtalk and obesity-help.com too. Just make sure you read with a bit of a filter, since there are someposts that may be misleading or can deflate your motivation (it does happen).

Congrats on the upcoming surgery! Let us know how things go for you!

Hi guys, I am excited to participate in this MN discussion -- it looks like there are plenty of us living here. I am having a tough time navigating through the pre-op stuff. Specifically, I met with my psychologist for the 4th & final time for my pre-op assessment, and he gave me a "yellow light, with the possibility of red" based on the personality tests he gave me. He said that although I do not have anything "diagnosable", the combination between lack of closeness with most of my family and my tendency to be impulsive raised red flags and he won't approve me at this time with out more pre-op stuff on my part. He said I need to attend the pre-op support group at my surgeon's office, as well as a couple of months of sessions with a social worker or psychologist. I want this surgery to work, and I will do what he is asking. But I can't help but feel discouraged by his opinion of me. I have been trying hard to do everything on the checklist he gave me for behavioral change, including my harrowing experience in trying to quit smoking. Today, I feel like I won't ever get there, whether that's realistic or not. The pshychologist also told me that when he hears about people opting for Lap Band versus Roux-en-Y or VBG, he thinks they are not serious about their weight loss and have only "one foot in the door". I don't agree with that opinion, but I have been doubting my decision that I want Lap Band, which actually kind of ticks me off. I have re-confirmed my decision that I dont' want RNY or VBG, and it's not because I am not serious in my efforts, it's because I am terrified of the risks and feel that I will be able to use the Lap Band as a very effective tool in the lifestyle changes I have already started.

Sorry to drone on and whine a bit, but I am at a low point today and really need to know that I am not the first or only person to feel discouraged. Am I?

Hi - sorry your experience has been uncomfortable. I wasn't very comfortable with the psychologist when I went through my evaluation either, but she didn't put any red lights up that I know of (she was just kinda snarky and put me on edge). Is there another person that can do your evaluation at the clinic you're working with? It may be worth asking for a second opinion, especially given the bias this person seems to have against Banding. That really concerns me.

Seriously - ask if there's someone else you can talk to. If there are things you want to work through, that's one thing, but if you feel uneasy about the experience, it's worth saying something about it. Hang in there!

Crystal, I just posted a response to another with Dr. W but thought I'd reiterate. He's a great surgeon and will do a great job explaining everything (you'll get plenty of info from the nurses in your 1 hour preop class too). He's a smart guy and an able surgeon.

Once you're past your surgery, you won't see much of Dr. W, but will probably work with his PA Amy, and his nurse Carol. They're WONDERFUL! I look forward to my postop appointments every month.

Stay in touch if you want to get more info. Let us know how your appointment goes!

Thanks for the info on Dr Wetherille, I am really looking forward to meeting with him. Park Nicollet did inform me that he is only going to be doing lap band surgeries from now on so that made me really optimistic.

it looks like i will be banded in April 08 if all goes well. I have to have supervised diet plan for 3 month then insurance will cover it. I just hope that it does not turn into a April fools joke, because i don't want to wait any longer.

it looks like i will be banded in April 08 if all goes well. I have to have supervised diet plan for 3 month then insurance will cover it. I just hope that it does not turn into a April fools joke, because i don't want to wait any longer.

I have a few months and obligations to fulfill also before I can get the suregery -- so I empathize. I just keep trying to look at it as more time to focus, practice, and visualize. As cheesy as that sounds, I am glad I didn't get to have the surgery right away, because I really need this time. Hang in there!

The waiting time really is a good thing! I can attest to that myself - it gave me time to really think it over and to get the binge-eating out of my system (I have to confess I went through a "last supper" mode for about a month, but I think I needed it). You definitely get time to really think over the big decision so when the time comes, you know you're sure about it.

Hang in there!

I think that's great advice. I was just approved for surgery yesterday and I have HealthPartners insurance so I have to go through a 10 week phone course consult before I can have the surgery. So as of right now, it looks like I will be banded in February. I am glad that I have enough time to really think things through and get myself mentally and physically prepared for the procedure.

About the HP phone course - are you sure you have to take all 10 weeks? I went through it and just needed 5 weeks before approval. They want you to do 5 post-op calls but I was able to opt out, since it was all pretty redundant with what Park Nicollet's program gave me (and all my online research, book reading, etc).

The phone course is really easy and it will all sound familiar (how to eat healthfully, what to expect with surgery and post-op. etc). Common sense stuff. It never hurts to get more reminders of course!

About the HP phone course - are you sure you have to take all 10 weeks? I went through it and just needed 5 weeks before approval. They want you to do 5 post-op calls but I was able to opt out, since it was all pretty redundant with what Park Nicollet's program gave me (and all my online research, book reading, etc).

The phone course is really easy and it will all sound familiar (how to eat healthfully, what to expect with surgery and post-op. etc). Common sense stuff. It never hurts to get more reminders of course!

It's 5 classes over 10 weeks and 5 classes afterward. I had my 1st phone consult last week and it went well. It was very easy but like you said, I felt like the information was like a CD on repeat. I think it's good for people that aren't well informed, but Park Nicollet patients have to go through a bunch of things before they can have surgery. As of right now, I am set to finish the course the first week in Feb.

I meet with Dr Wetherille on Thurs so I am hoping to get my surg date then.

You probably will get that surgery date right away - I did. In fact I was shocked because it was 14 days out from that day - yeek! I freaked that night but settled right into it and started that preop fast a few days later.

Dr. W is VERY capable and experienced and you're going to LOVE his PA, Amy and his nurse Carol. I really look forward to seeing them at my postops.

I had my 4 month postop last night and was a little bummed when Amy said I didn't need to come in until my 6 month in February if I was doing okay. I kept my Jan appt just in case and can cancel if it looks like I dont' need it, but I will miss seeing them for that long!

With the exception of the cranky psychologist there, I can honestly say I love all the staff at Park Nic. They're all very upbeat and supportive and I think they get energized from seeing their patients succeed. It's a really good vibe.

Let us know how your consult goes and when you get your big date!