Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Minnesota Folks

Where are you from Becks? I haven't seen anyone else on here from up here??

Hi jlynn!

I am from Duluth, MN. I usually dont post unless I can help someone or i have a questions because i have noticed from the few posts I have done no one answers or cares lol :) I just keep to myself and read about everyone else!

What about you? Where are you from? Who did your surgery? I am still waiting for insurance approval and im getting super anxious. My brother, who i did all the pre-lapband stuff with, is getting his surgery May 3rd by Dr Jay Lenz. Im jealous but i guess i need to be patient.

Hi jlynn!

I am from Duluth, MN. I usually dont post unless I can help someone or i have a questions because i have noticed from the few posts I have done no one answers or cares lol :girl_hug: I just keep to myself and read about everyone else!

What about you? Where are you from? Who did your surgery? I am still waiting for insurance approval and im getting super anxious. My brother, who i did all the pre-lapband stuff with, is getting his surgery May 3rd by Dr Jay Lenz. Im jealous but i guess i need to be patient.

Hi - it's been a while since I've posted here - I see there are more going to SMDC in Duluth. I live in Superior, WI and I had Dr. Jay Lenz at St. Mary's Duluth Clinic and Tony Valentine does his fills. Tony is wonderful! And Dr. Lenz has the best disposition. I just celebrated my 9 mo. bandiversary and I'm down 103 lbs :) I have 8.4cc's in my 10cc band - which is good restriction for me. Interesting fact - when they test the bands it takes 110 cc's before it will burst...

I'm originally from the Twin Cities, so as you all mention where you're from I know where you are. My parents are still there and I have a sister in Stanchfield, just outside of Cambridge.

There are three other people where I work that have had the band...they all had Medlin and I had Lenz. My port is on the left side, and theirs is in the middle in front. I guess it depends on where they think it would do best in each person's situation. It may be something to ask your surgeon, no matter where you go, where he typically puts the port.

I have had an absolute text book experience and it's the best thing I ever did for myself. When I look back at my before pictures, it makes me cry...the band - this tool - has saved my life.

If there are any questions I can answer, feel free to ask!

<p><p>

Ericsmom</p> <p> </p> <p>I found out a co-worker at the school I work at is having the band on October 10th and he has asked if I will be his mentor. I said I'd love to and told him that his homework was to check out this site. He'll be having his surgery in Duluth, MN at St. Mary's just like I did, but with the other surgeon who is skilled in this procedure, Dr. Medland...I've heard good things about him as well. Keep us posted on your journey to lapband land...
</p> <p> </p>
<p>How did your co-workers surgery go? Is he a member on this forum? Would like to hear his opinion on things. I am waiting for my surgery date to be scheduled with Dr. Medlin. I live in Hayward Wi. but having surgery at St Mary's can't wait for this to happen it has been going on since July lot of hoops.</p> <p> </p> <p>Terry
Hi Terry - my co-worker's surgery went well...I told him about this forum when he was preparing for his surgery, but I don't think he comes here. He is doing okay - he has had a couple of set backs with self-described times of being a "bad boy" and eating the wrong things, but he's recognized this and is back on track. I haven't asked where he's at lately...I'll have to do that. I see you are banded by now - how did your surgery go? I hope you are doing well. I have an appt. tomorrow with Tony Valentine (Dr. Lenz's PA) and then I see the dietitian, Lisa Spooner. I have known her since 1996 when I did a medically supervised liquid diet program at Miller Dwan. She is wonderful.</p> <p> </p> <p>I was in Hayward this past Friday with girlfriends for shopping and dinner at Famous Dave's. The lake it is on is beautiful. You live in a beautiful area. I live in Superior.</p> <p> </p> <p>I plan to keep a better eye on this thread, so I hope to hear back from you soon that you are doing well post-op.</p></p>

I was just going to Tony Valentine for a while there...and I had some kind of issue of no restriction that he couldn't figure out, so I went back to my original dr in Deer River....now I go back tomorrow to find out if it's a leak or just if it's not enough in my band, or what....but they are great, super nice...very funny and easy to get along with. I have a cowoworker here who had Medlin too, and has Tiffany for her filler....:girl_hug:)

Hey Beck, I totally get it! I know what you mean....ask a question and you're not sure if someone will respond or whatever....Hopefully this thread will be better, because we're minnesotans! I am from Virginia....had my surgery in Deer River, with Dr Margo...who was awesome. I was kinda spoiled too, for a bit, because he was doing my fills for the first 6 months or more. He was awesome at it....then I started seeing a PA there, and she's good now too, but I'd wanted to go to Duluth, where there's more things I can do, seeing as I'd have to drive an hour anyway.....but now I'm back at Deer River till my problem w/ restriction is solved. I had gotten sick or whatever a couple of months back or so, and since haven't felt restriction.....ever since I'd started seeing Tony in Duluth. I don't know why....I've had an UPPER GI, and GASTROSCOPY, and the gastroscopy said that the band was either slipped, or there was no compression on my stomach...but then they filled me and found no leak, so now I am utterly confused and mystified.....so happens my coworker here who see's tiffany is having the SAME issue....they told her she had 4 cc's in her band...but she had problems, went in, and Tony only pulled out 2.something cc's....crazy. Don't know what's going on, but I feel confused, that's for sure!!!

jlynn,

Sorry to hear you're having issues...hopefully you'll get them solved. I'm surprised the Upper GI and the Gastroscopy haven't told you any more. Unfortunately the bands slip sometimes, but they should be able to put it back in place. Keep us posted on what you find out when you go back to Deer River.

I see Tony today, but I don't think I'll need a fill - I'm at 8.4 in my 10cc band.

Keep us posted!

Stephanie

I am banded now and things are going great. I was in Duluth today for my third fill with Tiffany it was only .5cc today my first two were 2.5 each so I now have 5.5 in my VG band and I think I am getting close to my sweet spot. I have had some set backs also but with the right food choice and exercise I am losing good. The Bariatric team at SMDC are all very nice and very talented. Racing season is almost here and I go to Superior almost every Friday then to help one of my son's friends with his car.

I hope you are doing good as well.

Terry

Stephanie

I am banded now and things are going great. I was in Duluth today for my third fill with Tiffany it was only .5cc today my first two were 2.5 each so I now have 5.5 in my VG band and I think I am getting close to my sweet spot. I have had some set backs also but with the right food choice and exercise I am losing good. The Bariatric team at SMDC are all very nice and very talented. Racing season is almost here and I go to Superior almost every Friday then to help one of my son's friends with his car.

I hope you are doing good as well.

Terry

Hi Terry,

Sounds like you are doing well...I was at the Duluth Clinic on the 20th...we ended up "tweaking" me and Tony put .4 more in, so I'm at 8.8 now. It's good restriction and I'm pleased. I used to go to the races every Friday, but I haven't been since my knees got bad a couple of years ago because it's too hard to go up the bleacher steps. My girlfriend's brother has a car - he used to drive it and now has someone else drive it for him...Rick Milinkovich is the owner of the car and Al Uotinen drives his car. Sounds like you have fun back in the pits! I'm sure you can't wait to get going to the Raceway!

Keep up the good work and I'm sure we'll chat again soon!

Hello Minnesota!

Anyone banded by Dr Lederer? He is Chief of Bariatric Surgery at Hennepin Co Medical Center and I am hoping to get scheduled soon for the LapBand. The staff have been great! Anyone attending the LapBand support group at HCMC Bariatric Center?

Hey Megan

I'm from Duluth Minnesota but recently relocated to Arizona

Hey, Harley! VStarGirl here...still in MN! BUT, we have relocated from north to south and are very pleased. Love Lake Superior but hate that east wind:) We are hoping to get at least 2 additional months of riding in...oh, hubby rides a GoldWing:) Lots of primo riding in Arizona I am sure!!

I went through fairview system with Dr Lederer and was more then satisfied. Don't know about the HCMC program but all the people at fairview are great and I liked dr. lederer a lot Good Luck!

<p><p>

I went through fairview system with Dr Lederer and was more then satisfied. Don't know about the HCMC program but all the people at fairview are great and I liked dr. lederer a lot Good Luck!

Thanks! It's encouraging to here that you are doing well and had a good experience with Dr Lederer.So what doc takes care of you now that he is with HCMC? I like his direct, matter-of-fact approach. How about support groups? There is a band support group meeting at Hennepin but, I have not attended yet. I am still waiting to hear from insurance for pre-approval; should be soon....omg, it seems like forever!

Peg

He has an office at Fairview also so i still go to him for fills and checks. I am glad cuz i don't like changing drs in mid stream and i do like him.

I never did a support group- this is my support group! Like that i can attend in my pj's if I want! Yes, he is direct and to the point but there is no bull there and he tells you the truth about what to expect. I was lucky- from deciding and going to the first meeting till my surgery was only about 2.5 months, and it seemed to go really fast.

I would have to second thougts about doing this again with Dr Lederer. Good guy!

:thankyou:Thanks, Northern Sun, for your replies regarding your doc and the staff at Fairview. It really helped relieve a lot of the anxiety knowing of your positive experience. Wow and you have done so well! :eek: Dr Lederer must be very proud to have such a success story as yours! I wish you much continued success and I look forward to visiting with you again. :typing: