Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Minnesota Folks

I talked to Park Nicollett Bariatric Dept. (St. Louis Park, MN) today and Teri Barker, physicians manager - told me that she suspects that they will soon (sometime in 2006) be opening their facility to patients other than their own. This is because they have recently added staff and would be able to handle the extra patients. She said that they currently charge $114-$175. (The $175.having the fluro). And appointments need about 1-2 week notice. Maybe this would be different if it were an emergency, I don't know. Anyway their number is 952-993-3180.

(She did not give me a hard time about Mexico - she knew I was self pay.

If people who need this would call Park Nicollett and let them know of their need - I think it would spur them on.

I'll keep you posted if I learn of others!

I'm so excited to have finally gotten my surgery date in Sioux Falls...January 24. Wanted to go sooner, but I work in an office where I am the only admin. assistant and I needed to time it when I could be out for a week plus. Right now I'm just excited, and not nervous yet, but I'm sure that will come as the time gets closer. Dr. O'Brien wanted me to lose 5-10 pounds prior to surgery, so I'm working on that now. I'm struggling with the "I'm going to have surgery so I might as well enjoy my food now, at least until the firsit of the year" mentality. I certainly don't want to gain before surgery. Someone told me Protein shakes for Breakfast and dinner with a normal lunch is a good way to take those pounds off pre-surgery. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Emily

Emily,

My dr had me on two Protein shakes per day and one meal with 4-6 oz meat and vegetables. I was on it for 10 days (and cheated) and still managed to lose about 9 pounds. I don't think you need to start now, just be careful not to gain over the holidays. Think of how cool it will be next Christmas when you have lost weight. Good luck. Celeste

I just got banded 3 days ago at U of M-Fairview. Dr Ikramuddin. Everything went smoothly. If you can now you can schedule a seminar in Feb or so I believe.

Thanks, Celeste! I haven't had time to check in here for a few days but was glad to see your suggestion now. I think I'll wait and start after the first of the year. I'm working on really cutting the amount of food I eat at each meal and learning to chew it REALLY well and eat slowly. I have become very much more aware of how it feels when I'm not humgry anymore as opposed to stuffed. Seems like these are all steps in the right direction.

Went out to go to work today and got stuck just as the front of my car cleared the garage door. We have had about 6 inches of snow, a lot of which drifted into our driveway, apparently! We are supposed to get snow all day today and Thursday, as well. So I have an unexpected day off...I love that! I'ts like found time and you don't have to feel guilty about not getting anything done. So I'm catching up on my reading here!

Emily

I am going to the group meeting at Abbot on 2/25/06. I "had" a meeting scheduled with the dietician today, but apparently he "forgot" Grrrrr....I want this to happen sooner than later!! Anyone else go through Abbott? Good things I hope? I talked to a nurse today and she said in some instances its done as an outpatient thing - I sure hope that instance is me!!

Deb,

I went through Abbott and am very happy with the whole experience. I live in Big Lake and am thinking about trying to establish care at Unity so I would be closer to home, for fills. I was in the hospital over night mostly because I also had my gallbladder out at the same time. Otherwise they said I would have gone home the same night. I think I could have gone the same night though, I ended up being in a room with a 70-80 year old lady that coughed and spit up all night. Not much sleep or rest if you know what I mean. Not to mention, I am kind of a "germ" freak, and wanted to disinfect every time she coughed and spit up.

Wish you good luck.

Schel

Deb,

I went through Abbott and am very happy with the whole experience. I live in Big Lake and am thinking about trying to establish care at Unity so I would be closer to home, for fills. I was in the hospital over night mostly because I also had my gallbladder out at the same time. Otherwise they said I would have gone home the same night. I think I could have gone the same night though, I ended up being in a room with a 70-80 year old lady that coughed and spit up all night. Not much sleep or rest if you know what I mean. Not to mention, I am kind of a "germ" freak, and wanted to disinfect every time she coughed and spit up.

Wish you good luck.

Schel

Gosh, I hope I get to go home the same day - that would save alot of headache for dh right there.

How long did you have to wait before you had the surgery after you attended the informational meeting?

I waited longer than the usual person. I first went back in 2002 and was in the process of RNY surgery and became ill with Guillain-Barre syndrome. All was put on hold, from the illness. My face was paralized, my body was shut down, kind of like having a stroke. You can see what GBS is at

www.gbsfi.com

I wasn't sure I'd ever be able to have any surgery after that without risks.

So 2 and 1/2 years down the road, I went to the information class again.

That was in October of 2004. In the mean time I was taking care of my dietary consult and psych consult all of which I had to do all over again.

Anyways, I made an appointment in January of 2005 and could have set a date possibly at that time, but wasn't 100% sure about surgery and what might happen, so Dr. Schwartz said I needed to do some more thinking about it. Around April, May, I decided I didn't want to go through with it and it wasn't brought up again until after I went to We Fest last year and was disgusted with my no energy, and what I looked like. I decided that fast that I was going to do it. I got home and made my appointment on September 21st and scheduled surgery for November 22nd 2005.

Glad I did it and I'd do it again. Wish I wouldn't have waited as long as I did. So thats my story.

Good luck to you.

Schel

I'm glad it all worked out for you Schel. I know I want this surgery - and would do it today if I could. I think the waiting is going to be the hardest part for me. I just can't wait to lose weight, to not be out of breath walking up the stairs, to not have my knees hurting, to be able to tie my shoes! The list is endless!!

What a whirlwind of Lapband dates.

I had the surgery Feb. 24, 2006 11:00 am.

It is now Monday and after two days of gas pain and walking it off. I feel wonderful! I weighed in at 211 at the beginning of the research until today and I am at 184 Lbs. I have really no pain now...just an ever slight awareness of the port site and nothing else. Amazing Huh?

I am ready to begin my life again. New Me!

58 is late to begin a new life but I knew it would be the best for me.

Go For IT! :eek:

Wow Sandy, you are doing great! You were banded in Crosby? You are so lucky! I didn't know there were any outstate banding doctors yet! (almost sounded like bandits, lol)

I am not a metro driver and dont like the idea of driving to Abbott for fills and stuff. I am in the process of getting banded - just jumping through the hoops at this point.

Hugz.........deb

Well needless to say I am bummed out today. Abbott called and canceled my appt today - the surgeon was out sick. I was almost there too - 20 more miles. UGH. Now I can't get in to see her until the 12th of April. I had hoped to be banded on the 14th, but obviously that is out of the question now. Good news is that I will be able to enjoy Easter dinner instead of the liquid diet. I'm trying to find something positive. ~Deep Breath~

Has anyone dealt with the surgeons and insurance in Rochester, MN?

I've had a pretty great experience with them, lots of testing and hoops to jump through, and then at the very end, my surgeon decided that the Gastric Bypass was just not worth the risks for someone my age, and after discussing it forever, she and I decided on the lap band, and I am thrilled! Initially, at the 1st meeting, they said it would take 6-12 months, the longest part was the psych part, they have a class in town, but I live in Mankato, so I got the chance to see someone out here. It was 12 weeks. As far as waiting, it wasn't as long as I thought it would be. Anyways, so now I am waiting for August 8th to get here(for surgery). HURRY HURRY HURRY. And I am also waiting for BC/BS to approve (although I am not worried about them because the pre-authorization dept. at mayo does all the paperwork and gives them 14 days to respond, and she said I was very lucky to have bcbs, they are quick and very good with bariatric surgery.) This is a first post for me. Also, is there any kind of support groups for post-op surgery people in lower Minnesota?

Also, does anyone else have the ridiculous fear that they will be cold-er this winter without their layer of (eskimo) fat for insulation? Is this stupid? I guess I am just anxious and overthinking. :nervous