Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hi Everyone,

Its been a while since I've posted to this board. I was banded on January 16, 2009 and have lost 50 lbs so far. Is this unusual or too fast a loss for lap band surgery?

I do everything the Doctor, nurse and nutritionist tell me to do. I also measure my food to assure the right amount. I was on 1/4 cup of food 3x a day for the first 2 months and now I am eating 1/2 cup three times a day.

Toi

weight.png

Weight loss is so individual. I think they say 1/2 to 1 lb/wk is a good goal to strive for. So, I would say you've done really good. You're losing around 10 lbs a month which is super good. The statistics say that lapband people usually lose 50-80% of their extra weight the first year and 100 percent by year 2. From what I've seen that holds pretty true.

Edited by livn4jesus
misspelled word

Well, I went to the Drs. today and I am still having a severe burning sensation at the top of my stomach. He is sending me for an ultrasound of my gallbladder and has scheduled me for an upper endoscopy on may 29th. I am not fretting this because I have not had one minutes trouble in the past 11 months. It's in the Lord's hands so, I see what the tests show and then deal with it. Thanks for your support and continued prayers.

Well, I went to the Drs. today and I am still having a severe burning sensation at the top of my stomach. He is sending me for an ultrasound of my gallbladder and has scheduled me for an upper endoscopy on may 29th. I am not fretting this because I have not had one minutes trouble in the past 11 months. It's in the Lord's hands so, I see what the tests show and then deal with it. Thanks for your support and continued prayers.

Susan...hope docs get to the bottom of your troubles. Hopefully not band related. Take care and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. :thumbup:

Nah, not so interested in the boy-toy...lol...that is unless he's also a carpenter/plumber/electrician...then any age would be fine. lol

I have no doubt that my weight loss will not be the same as my daughter's but, like I said, different goals. From some of the complications that I read about on here, as long as mine are as minimal as hers have been, I will also be happy and I think she's been on the aggressive side with her fills, but she had a plan/goal and has stuck to it pretty good...although I'm sure the boy-toy has helped her :mad2:

It also helps having someone close that's also had it. I have someone a phone call away to ask. But I think being single may also help in the sense I don't have to cook food for anyone else. The dogs don't count. Although starting next week when I start liquid pre-op, they are so not getting roasted chicken with their dog food for awhile. :D

thanks all

and a very happy mother's day to all

trisha

Hi and Welcome,

If you happen to find a spare guy with the same talents as you're after, plus mechanical knowledge would be good too, please pack him up and send him to me in Western Australia.

Good luck with your band.

Katy

Hi livin4jesus,

Sorry to hear of your problems, I sure hope they are fixed very soon. You are certainly in my heart and prayers.

I haven't been on for a long time. Still having trouble with blood in the abdomen causing pain and I don't like having to take so many painkillers. There shouldn't be the need by now. I also wear a brace. The worst thing is that I've put on 4 kilos = 8.8lbs and I'm very miserable about it. I wish I'd known about the "sleeve" before I had the 2 bandings as it sounds ideal. My new surgeon refuses to even think about it now. Ahh well, I still wouldn't have lost the weight I did if I hadn't tried, so I don't regret anything. People think I'm odd after everything I've been through for thinking that way but it is what I believe and know for a fact.

Best wishes to everyone and "Goodonya to Oregondaisy"

Katy

I'm sorry you're feeling bad about the gain Katy. You have been through so much, and you're still not feeling well. Maybe when you get your health back, you can exercise more? I am just glad you're here with us. You gave us such a scare.

I am praying for you too and look forward to hearing what your doctor had to say.

Toi

weight.png

Hi livin4jesus,

Sorry to hear of your problems, I sure hope they are fixed very soon. You are certainly in my heart and prayers.

I haven't been on for a long time. Still having trouble with blood in the abdomen causing pain and I don't like having to take so many painkillers. There shouldn't be the need by now. I also wear a brace. The worst thing is that I've put on 4 kilos = 8.8lbs and I'm very miserable about it. I wish I'd known about the "sleeve" before I had the 2 bandings as it sounds ideal. My new surgeon refuses to even think about it now. Ahh well, I still wouldn't have lost the weight I did if I hadn't tried, so I don't regret anything. People think I'm odd after everything I've been through for thinking that way but it is what I believe and know for a fact.

Best wishes to everyone and "Goodonya to Oregondaisy"

Katy

It has been awhile since I've posted here but Katy you have been on my mind often and I have and will continue to pray for you. I believe you are on the mend thanks to your new surgeon and you have weathered the storm. The best is coming. Keep the faith and hang in there.

Toi

weight.png

I was wondering if any of you are in any type of exercise program belong to a gym or go to curves. i thought about curves but felt i wouldn't like being locked into the program having to use the same machines and order over and over again. i decided to join a gym. Haven't had my initial session yet. can't wait. i must jumppstart my metabolism again and get back on the wt. loss wagon. it seems the closer you get to goal the harder it is to lose. i feel at the gym exercising with others I will stay motivated. also i can vary the program to keep from getting bored. Wish me luck.

I was wondering if any of you are in any type of exercise program belong to a gym or go to curves. i thought about curves but felt i wouldn't like being locked into the program having to use the same machines and order over and over again. i decided to join a gym. Haven't had my initial session yet. can't wait. i must jumppstart my metabolism again and get back on the wt. loss wagon. it seems the closer you get to goal the harder it is to lose. i feel at the gym exercising with others I will stay motivated. also i can vary the program to keep from getting bored. Wish me luck.

I have been a member of both Curves and the gym. I enjoyed the gym, because of more variety. but unfortunately, due to the econimic times, dropped the gym membership and find it hard to get motivated to exercise on my own

Hi Everyone,

Its been a while since I've posted to this board. I was banded on January 16, 2009 and have lost 50 lbs so far. Is this unusual or too fast a loss for lap band surgery?

I do everything the Doctor, nurse and nutritionist tell me to do. I also measure my food to assure the right amount. I was on 1/4 cup of food 3x a day for the first 2 months and now I am eating 1/2 cup three times a day.

Toi

As already stated - weight loss is very individual - some lose it faster than other - some are slower - I wouldn't question it myself if it's fast :0) I would be happy and take it :0) (I know you are) I lost 105 in 1 yr 1 week.

Susan - Hugs keep us posted - your are in my prayers

The new cruves machines are suppose to not increase the tension so it's a harder work out - I go to the gym - I have a trainer for weights and do treadmil - The reason for me joining the gym vs curves - is that my gym is 3 blocks from my house - Motivation will come as you see your body transform.. That's what keeps me going back

I have been a member of both Curves and the gym. I enjoyed the gym, because of more variety. but unfortunately, due to the econimic times, dropped the gym membership and find it hard to get motivated to exercise on my own

Lynn - Kick in the butt here girl - Move !!! :0) - go cut the grass - weed the flower beds - vaccum even if the rugs don't need it - mop - clean your cabinets out - put on your fav cd and dance around the house and sing :0)

Go for a walk - just move...

Hello all,

I am brand new to this site and this is my first post. I am in the "thinking about it" stage. But, I'm really thinking SERIOUSLY about the lap band. Both my insurance through my job as well as my insurance through my husband's job are refusing coverage so I will most likely have to be self pay. This is a big step for me money wise. Also, like the same old story...I have been on so many diets and lost weight only to gain it back plus an extra 10. More than anything I am afraid of yet another "failure". (i.e. gaining back all of the weight that I worked so hard to lose.) Also, since I will be self-pay I want to know that it will be worth the money.

Edited by yvonneh120952
spelling

Hello all,

I am brand new to this site and this is my first post. I am in the "thinking about it" stage. But, I'm really thinking SERIOUSLY about the lap band. Both my insurance through my job as well as my insurance through my husband's job are refusing coverage so I will most likely have to be self pay. This is a big step for me money wise. Also, like the same old story...I have been on so many diets and lost weight only to gain it back plus an extra 10. More than anything I am afraid of yet another "failure". (i.e. gaining back all of the weight that I worked so hard to lose.) Also, since I will be self-pay I want to know that it will be worth the money.

Yvonne - Welcome

It doesn't matter if you are self pay or not - even us who have insurance have co-pays - it doesn't matter if you paid $3000 or $16000 this is about your health..

I paid quite a bit at my doc has a large program fee (almost what it would have cost to go to Mexico )

Was it worth it HELL YA... I'm 112 lighter than I was 22 months ago - I feel 10 yrs younger - I have 1000% more energy - This past March I ziplined and repelled a first for me and pretty damn good for a 54 yr old grandma - who 2 yrs ago could only walk a block without being exhasuted

Lapband isn't a diet - it's a tool it doesn't make your food choices it doesn't do the exercise all it does is provide restriction once you get to your sweet spot so that you are full on a smaller amount of food - it' doesn't do a darn thing for head hunger - to be successfull you have to change your eating habits (what we consider normal is what got us fat in the first place)

I'm not dieting - I am eating healthy I still have treats occaissionally - it's not that one piece of cake that makes you fat it's eating the 2nd - 3rd and 4th piece that does

I exercise - you do have to make this a lifetime lifestyle change.

If you want to improve the quality of your life - if you want to reduce your risk of dying from an obesity related illness - Ya it's worth it ...

Hello all you beautiful 50's and 60's, I think some of you hang out with us on this board.

Thanks for the well wishes and prayers. This was such a random thing. In 11 months I have not had one minutes problem with this band. I could be the poster child with my lion turning into a purrrrrrrrrrrrrrring kitten. So, I am a little perplexed as to why. It still may turn out to be nothing or something minor. God is good, all the time.

YVONNE: Welcome to the board. I hope you find the same support I have on this board. What a group of loving women.

Katy: It's so good to see you posting again. Get plenty of rest and don't fret the weight right now.