Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

And I am getting a little nervous about this trip. We have not traveled internationally, except for a few trips to the Carribean and a cruise to Mexico a few years ago, many fishing vacations in Canada. Those are set up pretty much like a trip to Florida these days, and Canada was just a drive across the border. Flying is not my favorite activity, and that leg from San Francisco to Seoul is 12 1/2 hours - a long time in the air. I'm sure we will do fine, and I will be glad to be hugging DD and DGS (as well as DSIL!) at the end of it. Hugs,

Joann... on that long flight, make sure you get up and move around frequently. And do some simple little exercises when you're sitting to keep the circulation in your legs going. Bending your toes towards your knee is an important one.. flexes the muscles in the backs of your legs where blood tends to pool. You can find more suggestions if you google plane exercises. I tried it and pulled up a bunch of sites.

320v.gif

phyll: Where do you get all of your animated thingy ma bobs, hutchy magimbees/.

Smiley Central

8_9_26.gif

I would expect that Katy spent a few days in the hospital for such invasive surgery. We had a lady just getting a regular by pass WLS who came in the day before us and she was going to still be there after we left and her whole family had come down with her for the duration. Hopefully, she will get out today or tomorrow so she can come home and recover. I am sure we all are thinking of her.

I decided to go in for another fill and my fill doctor will decide if I can take another fill or not. She only did .5 last time and even that she wanted to take out .2 of the .5. Its now 4 months later though and I did lose over 20 lbs. I just feel like I need to try something, nothing else is breaking me out of this stall.

I am going into my 4th week at the same weight :confused: Iv upped Protein, upped my exercise, was doing 7 - 10 miles a day for a week, Iv done whatever I know that usually works and nothing is working, Im just stuck at this weight.

I have to go to a wedding this weekend and cant get in for a fill until March 28th, the week before a week long cruise, so that isnt so great either. Im a little nervous about getting a fill so close to my cruise. She does it until fluro and does the barium swallow, so there is no chance she will fill me too tight.

I would expect that Katy spent a few days in the hospital for such invasive surgery...

... cant get in for a fill until March 28th, the week before a week long cruise, so that isnt so great either. Im a little nervous about getting a fill so close to my cruise. She does it until fluro and does the barium swallow, so there is no chance she will fill me too tight.

Flowers--

Seems to me that a fill right before a cruise is a GOOD time, since so many people overeat on cruises, this would help you keep in check, right? At worst, you might have to eat very little. But of course, if you think you are already at your sweet spot, maybe you don't need the fill. Anyway, I'm still so new to this, I don't know.

I think we're all waiting anxiously to hear how Katy (Helene) is doing. I know the power of prayer can help her and she is getting lots of prayer from all of us on this board!:confused:

Flowers--

Seems to me that a fill right before a cruise is a GOOD time, since so many people overeat on cruises, this would help you keep in check, right? !:confused:

I have never felt like I was at any kind of "sweet spot" or had much restriction for anything other than raw fruit, pinneaple or eating a apple. I did have acid reflux/lots of gas, whatever name on my last cruise which everyone on this thread told me meant I was too tight. I think I will just have to skip the fresh fruit plate this time and play it safe and bring meds for acid indigestion.

Im going in because Iv tried everything I can think of to break this stall in weight loss, and dont know what else to do. Never hit a stall for this long on any diet in my life, so Im perplexed. Im going in because I have no one else to chat with about why I stopped losing weight except my fill doctor, I got my band in Mexico.

Yes, I know we all are thinking of Katy.

Well, Im off at 5 am in the morning for a long weekend with relatives, but the hotel has internet so Ill be checking in for news of Katy.

Flowers, I went on a four month stall and I was doing everything right. Sometimes our body just needs to get used to the new weight before it decided to let go of anymore. My surgeon just talked about this at support group. The body has a set point, and it will do everything in it's power to stay at that set point.

Hope you get the fill you want, but I am betting you will drop again, all of a sudden for no particular reason, other than it's time for your body to decide to let go of some more lbs again.

thanks oregondaisy. I tried doubling up on my walks, sparks where I log in exercise shows that I only had a net of 450 calories left a day after walking so far daily, so I am sure its not that I was eating too much.

I got down to 150 lbs last time, in 2007 on nutrisystem, and never stalled out. Thats why stalling out this time is so weird. This fill doctor is another kind of doctor full time, but has a lap band herself, so she has been there, done that, and on weekends does fills to help bandsters, she and her husband, so it wouldnt hurt to pay the $200 even if I dont get much of a fill or a teensy one. This weekend will also shake up my normal schedule of walking and what I eat and might help, cant hurt right? Like last time she was suggesting another type of Liquid Protein she thought was good for Breakfast she likes as a fellow bandster. She also will look at my band itself under fluro and make sure it looks good.

My nutritionist has insisted to me that the reason my weight loss has stalled is that I am not getting nearly enough calories, so I am trying--and this is difficult for me--to increase my calorie intake. She says that if I don't get a net of 1200 to 1300 per day, after taking into account all the exercise I do, that I will continue to stall. She treats anorexics and tells me that my diet is what she sees in her anorexics. She says that the reason I get so very, very hungry on days I eat more than my current 600 or so calories is that my body is telling me "eat more! eat more!". So now I am on a new goal: eat three full meals a day, totaling 1200 to 1300 calories. No Snacks. She says don't worry if I gain weight to begin with, that is normal, up to 10 pounds, then I will start to see weight loss as my body adjusts to the new, correct calorie count. It might be worth a try for you?

Me?? Im already eating 1200 ish calories a day. I said after walking 7 - 10 miles a day, that I have a net of 450 calories unburned. I often walk enough to log in about 750 calories burned a day, hence what I meant by net after logging exercise. but thanks. I know better than to cut calories any more. Thats why Im not sure a fill is going to be the answer for me. I just want to touch base with my fill doctor and discuss the situation.

I think your doctor is right if you are only eating 600 calories you do need to get it up at least over 1000 a day, minimum.

My doctor may say I need more than 1200 a day or something if Im walking that much or have a answer for me. I am walking more than I did on my diet where I never stalled out, so maybe the answer is to exercise less even? Im baffled.

But that's what I wondered, if maybe with exercise you are not eating enough. Anyway, just a thought, I know I really don't have many answers or I wouldn't have gotten overweight myself! Lord knows I watch what I eat, get a lot of exercise, and try to do everything right!

Me?? Im already eating 1200 ish calories a day. I said after walking 7 - 10 miles a day, that I have a net of 450 calories unburned. I often walk enough to log in about 750 calories burned a day, hence what I meant by net after logging exercise. but thanks. I know better than to cut calories any more. Thats why Im not sure a fill is going to be the answer for me. I just want to touch base with my fill doctor and discuss the situation.

I think your doctor is right if you are only eating 600 calories you do need to get it up at least over 1000 a day, minimum.

My doctor may say I need more than 1200 a day or something if Im walking that much or have a answer for me. I am walking more than I did on my diet where I never stalled out, so maybe the answer is to exercise less even? Im baffled.

Try taking a few days off from walking - yep I am saying that and I have a new crown - from Phyl the exercise cop - but I have always found that those weeks where I exercised and ate week and didn't lose then the next week ate well but didn't exercise as much - the lbs fell off... Don't ask me why - there is some scienific reason - but I can't explain...

But for me have found it works ...

Flowers, if you are older than you were when you lose that weight before, that plays a big part in it. Every year we get older, our metabolism slows down a bit. Just keep doing what you're doing and it will come off again.

That's the way I lost weight. I would go on long plateaus and then for no apparent reason, the scale would suddenly move again. I didn't do anything differently, I think it was just time. People get in that mind frame

"I am not losing anyway, so I may as well eat this or that" That is the worse thing we can do. If you're eating right and walking fast enough to break out into a sweat, the scale will move again.

But that's what I wondered, if maybe with exercise you are not eating enough. !

thanks, I do appreciate it. I am taking a few days off. lol, I will be in the car driving for about 10 hours tomorrow, going first to one aunt, then driving to the other one, then about 7 hours to drive home on sunday and a wedding and stuff all day saturday.

Indiogirl, thanks too. I just never hit a brick wall like this except once with Atkins right at the start, it just wasnt dropping the weight.

.... and then when I get back will put this in the hands of my doctor. I wouldnt give up. I got a dress I need to get into and lose 2 inches in the waist, its a 35 inch waist, and Im determined by July 1st to get into that dress.

Phyll, thanks for the good information. I will do a search for exercises to do on the plane. Good suggestion and I appreciate it.

I keep checking back for word from Katydid. I know we will all be relieved to hear from her...