Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

IndigoGirl55,

Thank you for getting my feet back on the ground....I want to step on that darn scale everyday. I just walked on the treadmill for 40 minutes. I want to begin my Walk Aerobics tapes but am a little afraid due the hernia. I also want to use the Gazielle I have in the basement. Tomorrow I visit the nutritionist....I'm going to pop in and see Dr Singh's nurse to see when I can change my routine.

I have two parties at work next week. I'll finish up munchie stage Tuesday. Were you afraid to start "real" foods? I'm so afraid of getting something stuck.

I ate a cube of chesse and didn't chew....couldn't breathe..so I guess I do have restriction.

Your stats are great!!! :(

Hockeyson

Pick one day a week that you get on the scale - Mine was the day that I came home from the hospital Thursday - that was my weigh in day - that's the only day that the #'s on the scale mattered - I didn't get on too much during the week cuz I found that it would very too much from day to day.. One day a week - that's it...

Didn't they fix the herina while you were being banded - I have read that alot of pple get their's fix when banded.. I know that my doc told me if I had one that he would fix it then..

My doc said I could walk but not to do any crunches for a while - it's the port site you have to be careful of..

I don't remember being afraid of real food - I kept a food diary/log for the 1st year- weighed and measued my foods for about the first 3 months til I learned what a serving size was - I atet out of 1 cup bowls and salad plates (still do) I eat healthy - low fat - mostly sugar free - some carbs (I have rice evernight for dinner)

I exercised 4-5 times a week on a treadmill - slowly at first but each week increased my time and speed -

Today I am up to 3 miles in like 50 minutes on inclines from 0 to 15 - and weight train twice a week - Now I go to the gym about 2-3 times a week.. And since I have never dieted (you know with diets you go off them once you get to goal and go back to eating normal which got you fat in the 1st place - thats' why diets don't work) during this last 1 yr & 1/2 - I have just continued my healthy eating - I have had no problems maintaining...

Flowers,

I went to the surgeons office last Thursday. I had gained 3 lbs not as bad as I had thought but still gained. He added another 1.5 cc which makes me a total of 3 in a 14 cc band. I am trying very hard. I have not attempted bread anymore but I am eating crackers. I have had a virus all weekend so I drink gatorade and eating chicken noodle Soup and crackers. If you have any helpful hints or meals I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Im at 4.1 cc in a 10 cc band. Good to know some people are at less than I am and still ok. I hear about folks that have so much more fill.

I bake salmon and nibble all day when I want to lose. Dont love it, but it loves me and I almost always drop 2 - 3 lbs shortly after a day of salmon. I lost so fast for a week, more than 5 lbs, that I dont expect to drop much more for the next week. Iv seen slightly below 184 now a few times, but not enough to call it lower yet.

I got the muchies so bad today lol. Going to be a hard day. Cold weather I seem to want comfort foods even more, but Im so determined to be thinner.

How you doing Cheryl. For some reason only certain posts come thru to my email. Sorry I was so long answering you.

Welcome to our group. I am so thankful I found this nice group of friends. They have been a godsend and I know they will be to you, also. mimi

OREA15...thank you for the advice. I remember weighing in at WW after following the diet & exercising everyday to step on the scales for a 1/4 lb loss!! I would get sooo upset. Your weight loss is fantastic. Where can I find this book you mentiioned? I'd love to read it. How many fills have you had?

Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding: Achieving Permanent Weight Loss with Minimally Invasive Surgery (Paperback)

by [ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Jessie%20H.%20Ahroni%20Ph.D.%20A.%20R.%20N.%20P.]Jessie H. Ahroni Ph.D. A. R. N. P.[/ame] (Author)

If you go to groups.yahoo.com and sign up for the smartbandsters group. you'll find her active there. She is wonderful about answering questions and getting us on the right track. I ws super well prepared for my surgery and my band because of the months I spent there beforehand. It's a very active list, but a warm and supportive one. I recommend you get the digest as the mail volume is high!

Orea

Anyhow, the person I consider my mentor, Jessie Ahroni, a nurse (now a fill nurse in Seattle) who wrote a book on banding, and has been a bandster for 10 years now, drinks up to the time she eats, and she has been at her goal weight for over 9 years. I call that the voice of experience and success.

Also, I tend to wait an hour or more after eating to drink my Water. It's easier to do this if I am well hydrated and drinking that last half hour helps.

Naturally, everyone should ideally do what their doctor says, but logic should prevail IMHO. Try it and see if it works for you... (I wouldn't say this about potentially dangerous things like drinking carbonated beverages.) YMMV Orea

Jesse's book is the one I always recommend to folks considering LB surgery. I love her one-liners. "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!", etc. i crashed one of her support gropu meetings last year with some gals I'd met through a local support group in WA state who had their surgery at that center.

And I completely agree with your "common sense should prevail" comment! That is so true. I have a good friend in TX who is very discouraged right now and one of her complaints is that every time she has a fill she has to be on liquids for FIVE days! Common sense tells me that is too long, but I hesitate to tell her that sometimes it's okay to bend the rules a little if it doesn't make sense!

Common sense tells me that is too long, but I hesitate to tell her that sometimes it's okay to bend the rules a little if it doesn't make sense!

Phyl - I totally agree !!! But I thought that's cuz I am such a rebel...:(

I was banded on Dec 14, 2007. It has almost been a year and i have lost 64 pounds. I was hoping for more loss. My doctor will only give a fill every 8-10 weeks regardless of the weight. I have only had 4 fills and it has been a year. The last two months I have not lost any weight. I am scheduled for a fill on Dec. weight.png30th. I hope it will jumpstart me again. I started out at 214 and now I am 150. I want to lose down to 125.

I was banded on Dec 14, 2007. It has almost been a year and i have lost 64 pounds. I was hoping for more loss. My doctor will only give a fill every 8-10 weeks regardless of the weight. I have only had 4 fills and it has been a year. The last two months I have not lost any weight. I am scheduled for a fill on Dec. 30th. I hope it will jumpstart me again. I started out at 214 and now I am 150. I want to lose down to 125.

Lowe - I would tell that doctor of yours that the band is only a tool -and you understand that and have proven that you can change your eating habits (proof of 64 lbs lost -congrats) but that if the tool isn't working properly then it's of no use - it's to provide restriction - that's why you had the darn surgery..

I feel a lot better since my surgery. I am well pleased with my weight loss. However, my legs, face, arms and tail has went down big time, but my stomach and breast does not change much. Especially the upper stomach part. I seem to think it is a lot of excess skin....I exercise as I can but not as much as I should. I have arthiritis in my legs and bone deterioation in my hips. What else can I do to get my stomach to shrink?

Thanks OREA!! I belong to the yahoo group for bonecancer in dogs.

One of the reasons is because if you drink with your meals, the additional liquid added together with food, can stretch the pouch. The other reason is because the drinks can flush the food out of the pouch and you will get hungry fast.

I have never been told I can't drink before meals. I asked my surgeon specifically about this, and he said I can drink right up until I take my first bite.

Welcome to all of our new bandsters! There is nothing better than wearing new clothes and having more self esteem from finally being able to lose weight!

Thanks Denise, will make sure I don't drink with meals again.

Jesse's book is the one I always recommend to folks considering LB surgery. I love her one-liners. "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!", etc. i crashed one of her support gropu meetings last year with some gals I'd met through a local support group in WA state who had their surgery at that center.

And I completely agree with your "common sense should prevail" comment! That is so true. I have a good friend in TX who is very discouraged right now and one of her complaints is that every time she has a fill she has to be on liquids for FIVE days! Common sense tells me that is too long, but I hesitate to tell her that sometimes it's okay to bend the rules a little if it doesn't make sense!

What is the name of her book? I would love to read it.

I have to weigh myself every day. My surgeon's nurse who leads our support group always says "don't let 5 lbs get away from you" I'ts so true for me. I am completely opposite from Janet. If I let myelf think I am not on a diet, I decide I can have this or that, because after all, I am not on a diet!. Before I know it, in a matter of 2 days I gain 5 lbs.

Weekends are really hard. It's hard to be in social situations where everyone is eating junk that I love. I tell myself I will only have a taste or a bite, and then I am out of control. If I go somewhere with my mind made up that I am on a diet, I seem to have more control of the situation.

There has been junk food at work all week, and I have looked at it and said "no, it's not on your diet." I have looked at the plate of chocolates and Cookies and been able to NOT take one taste because it's not allowed in my diet.

Holidays and stress...HELP!!

Stress is and always has been my easting trigger. Even though I eat less now I am still finding myself eating my comfort foods when stressed. And for me that is "Chocolate"

Any ideas on averting my attention from stress eating. It has been a big issue lately with my daughter and grandson in custody battle with baby's father....as well as the holidays

H-E-L-P!!!!!:lol:

Holidays and stress...HELP!!

Stress is and always has been my easting trigger. Even though I eat less now I am still finding myself eating my comfort foods when stressed. And for me that is "Chocolate"

Any ideas on averting my attention from stress eating. It has been a big issue lately with my daughter and grandson in custody battle with baby's father....as well as the holidays

H-E-L-P!!!!!:lol:

Lynn - Hugs 1st and foremost for your struggles...

Plan - have sf chocolate in the house - the sf dark choc puddings are good - the healthy choice or ww sf fudgecicles are good. These are choc - but I had some sf Wethers (sp) little toffee had candies in my purse. This way you can feed it without going over boards. Other than that - go clean out a sock drawwer - your make up - get on the computer - go for a walk - read a self help book.. Distractions..

Also,

God grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change;

courage to change the things I can;

and wisdom to know the difference.