Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

IMHO - QVC was the perfect job :tt1::lol:

IMHO as well. It's probably why I can't find the perfect job again. Hard to top that one. It was so much fun, though the pay there was pitiful as well but the discount, Oh my!! And the employee sales and events......

Guess if the economy keeps heading south or DH gets laid off, I'll have to stop being so picky and just get a job. :tt1:

Hello everyone,

I am new to this group and have been lurking and reading all evening. I am 58 years old and have been up and down on the scales for years. I have not been banded yet, my surgery is scheduled for 12/19/08 and I can hardly wait. I just found out today when my surgery would be.

How do I get one of the weight ticker thingys that I see on so many of your posts? I am going to try the Daily Plate to see what that is all about. I want to use every tool and trick that I can to make sure that I am successful with this.

One of the reasons is because if you drink with your meals, the additional liquid added together with food, can stretch the pouch. The other reason is because the drinks can flush the food out of the pouch and you will get hungry fast.

I have never been told I can't drink before meals. I asked my surgeon specifically about this, and he said I can drink right up until I take my first bite.

Welcome to all of our new bandsters! There is nothing better than wearing new clothes and having more self esteem from finally being able to lose weight!

One of the reasons is because if you drink with your meals, the additional liquid added together with food, can stretch the pouch. The other reason is because the drinks can flush the food out of the pouch and you will get hungry fast.

I have never been told I can't drink before meals. I asked my surgeon specifically about this, and he said I can drink right up until I take my first bite.

Welcome to all of our new bandsters! There is nothing better than wearing new clothes and having more self esteem from finally being able to lose weight!

My doctor has told me the same, drink everything you want until you take the fist bite! When I am out to eat, I drink Water until the meal comes and then I have them take the water away as I am too used to eating and drinking. At home I don't have a drink when I sit down to eat. Hope this helps. Dot:tt1:

Drinking before meals - I usually stop a bit before a meal, just for my own satisfaction, I know the liquid goes right through the band, so it would not be an issue.

I will have to try and remember to have the Water taken away when eating out, because I too, tend to pick up the glass as I am eating..

Hi Everyone!! I was banded 11/18 in Baltimore, Md. I usually read the posts from the November banding group but today decided to read posts here. I'm glad I did.

I'm down 22lbs. 6 were from the pre-diet & 16 since my banding. My surgeon also found a hiatal hernia so I've been off work for the past 3weeks. I've been walking on the treadmill 30-40 minutes each day and have really gotten into a pattern....BUT...will return to work next week and I'm so afraid I won't have time to exercise as much. Looking at my calender I have something going on 4 out of 5 nights.....

I'm also on mushies now and have noticed my weight isn't going down as quickly....does anyone else have this problem?

I know after 50....us women don't lose as quickly....i had hoped to be down at least 25 when I went back to work....am I being too picky??:tt1:

The instructions I came home with said no drinking 20-30 mintues before meals and 30 minutes after meals. It's amazing how different each doctor's "rules" are.

Welcome! I live in Northern Va. so we are neighbors of sorts. The thing you need to remember is that the first six weeks are mainly about healing, not losing weight. If you do lose weight, it is a bonus, so enjoy!

Yes, your initial rate of loss will not last as you go to mushies.

Set your expectations to a healthy rate of weight loss in the area of one to two pounds a week. That may not sound like much, but that equates to 50-100 pounds in a year. :-)

I was told no liquids for 30 minutes before and after eating. This makes no sense to me. I mean the 30 minutes before part. I have heard that some people believe that drinking right before eating lubricates you inside and the food slides through faster. But for heaven's sake, we are lined inside with mucus membranes, and we all know how slippery mucus can be!

Anyhow, the person I consider my mentor, Jessie Ahroni, a nurse (now a fill nurse in Seattle) who wrote a book on banding, and has been a bandster for 10 years now, drinks up to the time she eats, and she has been at her goal weight for over 9 years. I call that the voice of experience and success.

Also, I tend to wait an hour or more after eating to drink my Water. It's easier to do this if I am well hydrated and drinking that last half hour helps.

Naturally, everyone should ideally do what their doctor says, but logic should prevail IMHO. Try it and see if it works for you... (I wouldn't say this about potentially dangerous things like drinking carbonated beverages.)

YMMV

Orea

Hello everyone,

I am new to this group and have been lurking and reading all evening. I am 58 years old and have been up and down on the scales for years. I have not been banded yet, my surgery is scheduled for 12/19/08 and I can hardly wait. I just found out today when my surgery would be.

How do I get one of the weight ticker thingys that I see on so many of your posts? I am going to try the Daily Plate to see what that is all about. I want to use every tool and trick that I can to make sure that I am successful with this.

mnorman - Welcome - here is a link that shows you how to get a ticker

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f5/ticker-tutorial-pictures-41782/

You don't need tricks with the band - all you need to do is not think of this as a diet - but as a lifetime lifestyle change in your eating - I have not dieted since 7/17 - I eat healthy and I exercise to improve my health...

Hi Everyone!! I was banded 11/18 in Baltimore, Md. I usually read the posts from the November banding group but today decided to read posts here. I'm glad I did.

I'm down 22lbs. 6 were from the pre-diet & 16 since my banding. My surgeon also found a hiatal hernia so I've been off work for the past 3weeks. I've been walking on the treadmill 30-40 minutes each day and have really gotten into a pattern....BUT...will return to work next week and I'm so afraid I won't have time to exercise as much. Looking at my calender I have something going on 4 out of 5 nights.....

I'm also on mushies now and have noticed my weight isn't going down as quickly....does anyone else have this problem?

I know after 50....us women don't lose as quickly....i had hoped to be down at least 25 when I went back to work....am I being too picky??:tt1:

Hockymom - 16 lbs in less than a month - wtg - yes you are being too picky we aren't bypass pple - they lose weight quickly as they don't absorb their carlories where we do - Like Orea said - 1 to 2 lbs a week is to be expected - heck some weeks I lost only 1/2 lbs - but I was always happy - cuz it was a loss.

We think that it should be falling off left & right cuz we are now eating so much less - but it's doesn't work that way - but let me tell you all those 1 - 2 - 3 lbs losses do add up over a years time - so don't look at the short term - look at the long term - this isn't a diet - it's a lifestyle change..

OREA15...thank you for the advice. I remember weighing in at WW after following the diet & exercising everyday to step on the scales for a 1/4 lb loss!! I would get sooo upset. Your weight loss is fantastic. Where can I find this book you mentiioned? I'd love to read it. How many fills have you had?

Well I finally feel like I really belong! Yesterday I received my third fill of 3 cc's. Well that put me over the edge - couldn't even get down Water, which they make you drink before you leave. So he took out 1 cc and it felt so much better. Was only able to eat 1/2 cup of oatmeal for Breakfast and wasn't hungry until around noon. Now that's what I was waiting for. Up to this point I had no restriction and was pretty much hungry all the time. I was banded on 8/25 and have been hungry since and I was always picking - good stuff, but picking all the time. Now I didn't have the urge to pick and didn't eat until I was hungry. I have been waiting for this and it's all new the feeling is different but welcomed. Hopefully, the weight loss will become steady because up to now it hasn't been much at all.

IndigoGirl55,

Thank you for getting my feet back on the ground....I want to step on that darn scale everyday. I just walked on the treadmill for 40 minutes. I want to begin my Walk Aerobics tapes but am a little afraid due the hernia. I also want to use the Gazielle I have in the basement. Tomorrow I visit the nutritionist....I'm going to pop in and see Dr Singh's nurse to see when I can change my routine.

I have two parties at work next week. I'll finish up munchie stage Tuesday. Were you afraid to start "real" foods? I'm so afraid of getting something stuck.

I ate a cube of chesse and didn't chew....couldn't breathe..so I guess I do have restriction.

Your stats are great!!! :tt1: