Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Usually it is repeated vomiting that causes a band problem. So chances are you did no damage.

Often "liquids in, liquids out" is the case, unfortunately. And many Protein Shakes can cause that side effect.

Thanks for all the great tips on avoiding all the goodies during the holidays.

OK, I screwed up this morning and drank a whole Protein Drink while driving to pick up my grandson (15 minutes). By the time I got home I was so sick. I had diarrea and I threw up. I was banded on Oct. 29th and am still on full liquids. I have not had any problems until today. In fact I was wondering if they really put a band in me because I felt so good. I have a 14cc band with 3cc saline put in at time of surgery. Every time I have a bowle movement it is diarrea, so the doctor is having a lab test done. Do you all think I messed up my band with throwing up. It wasn't that much, just some of the Protein drink. I will never drink anything that fast again. I haven't been hungry since my banding, just trying to get in the protein. Thanks, Maggie:shades_smile:

i had my second fill today. the dr said that i'm doing really well.when i got weighed today i learned from the dr that i weighed 6lb. more when i started than i had down.so today puts me down 50 lb.i was so excited.

good luck all and god bless

Thanks Orea, that makes me feel better. This is such a learning thing. And I learned a bit lesson today. Maggies:shades_smile:

Look at all of our success! I really believe that posting here and sharing is a key. I love hearing about your good news and am excited knowing that it will continue.

Today is 6 months out of surgery for me. As of this AM, I am down 67.5 lbs. I weighed 149.5! My goal is 142, but who knows? I may pull an Indio and go lower!

I treated myself to some new clothes. I am directing a play here in my community --3 performances this weekend, 2 the next weekend. My opening night outfit is cute--and y'all, I WORKED for it! My picture was in the paper yesterday (publicity) and for the first time in a loooooong time, I was not embarrassed!

Everyone can come to the play--my treat!

Judy

Look at all of our success! I really believe that posting here and sharing is a key. I love hearing about your good news and am excited knowing that it will continue.

Today is 6 months out of surgery for me. As of this AM, I am down 67.5 lbs. I weighed 149.5! My goal is 142, but who knows? I may pull an Indio and go lower!

I treated myself to some new clothes. I am directing a play here in my community --3 performances this weekend, 2 the next weekend. My opening night outfit is cute--and y'all, I WORKED for it! My picture was in the paper yesterday (publicity) and for the first time in a loooooong time, I was not embarrassed!

Judy

Judy, got any photos to share in your outfit???? I bet you look great!

Well folks, I hit 82 today!! yahoo!! Since I seem to be on a losing streak again I think I will wait a few weeks on my next fill. I have a dr. appt next week and was going to ask for one then. But we leave a few days later for our Thanksgiving/pheasant hunting trip to S Dakota. I don't want to chance being in the middle of no where and being too tight. I have another appt for my 6 mos post op visit the first week of Dec. and may just get the fill then. That way if it's too much or something I am close and can go back in.

I may be meeting a gal I met on Obesity Help that lives near me and had lap band surgery on Monday for a lunch of Soup. But got a message from her this morning and she may have to cancel or postpone. I hope not as I was looking forward to it.

JBFlorida...congrats on being so close to goal and everyone else for their successes!

Long...are you originally from South Dakota?

It's turning into a LONG COLD harvest here. We are all getting edgy and nipping at each other's butts. This too shall pass.

JBFlorida...congrats on being so close to goal and everyone else for their successes!

Long...are you originally from South Dakota?

It's turning into a LONG COLD harvest here. We are all getting edgy and nipping at each other's butts. This too shall pass.

Nope I am originally from Wisconsin. However, hubby is originally from S Dakota. So I am going back for all his side of the family. And, oh did I mention? I am cooking Thanksgiving dinner for 29 people!! YIKES!

Nope I am originally from Wisconsin. However, hubby is originally from S Dakota. So I am going back for all his side of the family. And, oh did I mention? I am cooking Thanksgiving dinner for 29 people!! YIKES!

Now I remember you talking about growing up is Wisconsin. That's a lot of people to cook for. Our Thanksgiving is up in the air now with our son moving and not having time to come home because of his new job. He is not sure about Christmas either. I think we will be just taking our oldest son out for Thanksgiving dinner or invite him here for turkey. I will let him choose either one.

When I have my husband's family here for Christmas (not my turn this year) I usually have over 50 to cook for. Of course, cooking is my favorite activity but I wouldn't want to cook for that many every year.

Well, off to get my baking done for the day. It's apple muffins and caramel bars today for the guys. Have two roasts in the oven, potatoes peeled and ready to boil and mash and spiced carrots ready to put in the oven and banana bars with cream cheese frosting. Thank God for great restriction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wooohooo! Congratulations! :thumbup:

i had my second fill today. the dr said that i'm doing really well.when i got weighed today i learned from the dr that i weighed 6lb. more when i started than i had down.so today puts me down 50 lb.i was so excited.

Wow everyone is on a losing streak! That's so good to hear and I too like hearing all the suggestions and success stories.

Mine isn't so good this week - I weighed in this morning and gained 2 lbs. What a bummer. I've been eating some crackers with a big ole pot of chili I made last weekend and I guess it was toooo many crackers. :thumbup: Crackers are in time out.

You guys keep up the good work. Later.:thumbup:

Well I finally feel a bit better. My weekly weigh was today and I was back to what I lost before the flu. Two weeks of coughing and sneezing had me eating just about anything allowed on week 4 and I had gained 6 pounds during that episode. I told myself that it was Water weight from the edema that returned because my type 2 diabetes reacted to the carbohydrates I was able to add to my diet.

So last week I started keeping track of calories, carbs, fats, salts, etc. and making sure I kept within the 800-1200 calorie range like the dietician had told me. I am back to what I weighed prior to the flu. The problem with all of this is that I feel hungry. I hope the band didn't slip with the coughing because now I can eat a full cup of something and not feel full but some foods do make me feel full but it takes like 3 fish fillets or a cup of squash. Keeping track is good but I feel like I am on a regular dieting situation and doing all the work that I thought the band should do automatically. I still have the edema and my fasting sugar was 109 this morning. I may have to go back on the diabetic pill I was taking. I go to the surgeon on Nov 20th for my first fill and I have bunches of questions for him.

I am doing very well this week at cutting out the carbs. I hope I can stay strong over the weekend.

I want to lose 15 lbs. Even at my goal, I was still in the

overweight BMI category. I thought that was ok cause I am a size 12, but now I have decided to try to lose a little more. I am just afraid it's going to make my saggy skin on my turkey neck worse.

Congratulations !!!! Way to Go !!!

Judy

Judy - Congratulations !!!!! Go for it... I wanted a normal bmi it was very important to me - also - I wanted to prove the statistics wrong (that we fat chicks can only expect to lose 50-60% of our excess weight - hell we can lose 100% - I wasn't going to settle for less than 100% I had major surgery to get healthy not to be overweight)

Yes we want pictures.....

Judy, got any photos to share in your outfit???? I bet you look great!

Well folks, I hit 82 today!! yahoo!! Since I seem to be on a losing streak again I think I will wait a few weeks on my next fill. I have a dr. appt next week and was going to ask for one then. But we leave a few days later for our Thanksgiving/pheasant hunting trip to S Dakota. I don't want to chance being in the middle of no where and being too tight. I have another appt for my 6 mos post op visit the first week of Dec. and may just get the fill then. That way if it's too much or something I am close and can go back in.

I may be meeting a gal I met on Obesity Help that lives near me and had lap band surgery on Monday for a lunch of Soup. But got a message from her this morning and she may have to cancel or postpone. I hope not as I was looking forward to it.

Lori - IMHO 1st week of Dec is the best !!!

Now I remember you talking about growing up is Wisconsin. That's a lot of people to cook for. Our Thanksgiving is up in the air now with our son moving and not having time to come home because of his new job. He is not sure about Christmas either. I think we will be just taking our oldest son out for Thanksgiving dinner or invite him here for turkey. I will let him choose either one.

When I have my husband's family here for Christmas (not my turn this year) I usually have over 50 to cook for. Of course, cooking is my favorite activity but I wouldn't want to cook for that many every year.

Well, off to get my baking done for the day. It's apple muffins and caramel bars today for the guys. Have two roasts in the oven, potatoes peeled and ready to boil and mash and spiced carrots ready to put in the oven and banana bars with cream cheese frosting. Thank God for great restriction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apples - OMG - all that food I don't know if I could handle it - my trick has been avoidance - you have stuff under your nose 24/7.. Way to go girl....

I think the most I have ever cooked for was maybe 20..

Wow everyone is on a losing streak! That's so good to hear and I too like hearing all the suggestions and success stories.

Mine isn't so good this week - I weighed in this morning and gained 2 lbs. What a bummer. I've been eating some crackers with a big ole pot of chili I made last weekend and I guess it was toooo many crackers. :thumbdown: Crackers are in time out.

You guys keep up the good work. Later.:blink:

Diva - Suggestion - keep a food diary - that will show you where you are you are over loading on your calories..

Well I finally feel a bit better. My weekly weigh was today and I was back to what I lost before the flu. Two weeks of coughing and sneezing had me eating just about anything allowed on week 4 and I had gained 6 pounds during that episode. I told myself that it was Water weight from the edema that returned because my type 2 diabetes reacted to the carbohydrates I was able to add to my diet.

So last week I started keeping track of calories, carbs, fats, salts, etc. and making sure I kept within the 800-1200 calorie range like the dietician had told me. I am back to what I weighed prior to the flu. The problem with all of this is that I feel hungry. I hope the band didn't slip with the coughing because now I can eat a full cup of something and not feel full but some foods do make me feel full but it takes like 3 fish fillets or a cup of squash. Keeping track is good but I feel like I am on a regular dieting situation and doing all the work that I thought the band should do automatically. I still have the edema and my fasting sugar was 109 this morning. I may have to go back on the diabetic pill I was taking. I go to the surgeon on Nov 20th for my first fill and I have bunches of questions for him.

Toosywoots - Glad you are feeling better - sorry for your struggles.

Here my 2 cents about this being another diet situation..

Take the word diet out and replace it with eating healthy - as fat chicks we didn't eat healthy - our normal eating is what got us fat to begin with - So this is where the total lifetime lifestyle change in your eating fits it - we now eat healthy (low fat low sugar) and exercise...

Your band is only a tool - a piece of plastic - it's not going to make your food choices for you - only you can do that - the band works once you have proper restriction and for some that can take a while - but in the meantime you can focus on eating healthy.

Keeping track and measure your food is a good learning tool - you aren't goint to have to do this forever - just until you learn what a normal serving size is and how many caloires are in what you eat.

As fat chicks we ate way to many calories - we need to learn how many calories it takes to lose the weight and then maintain it..

If you are hungry - have a sf fudgecicle (healthy choices are 80 calories) or a sf pudding for 60 calorie or extra veggies..

Focus on eating healthy and exercising and practice the bander's rules - hard Proteins 1st - then veggies (and if you are still hungry add extra veggies - that's what I did) and if any room left carbs/starches. Eat slowly - chew well - no drinking with meals or afterwords per your doc's instruction...

The band isn't the magic cure to our issues with food - it's only provides restriction - which you can eat around it you chose (slider food) - The band is no diff that any other weight loss plan you or I have been on in the past - this too takes work on your part

IMHO my band had made the hard job of losing weight just a little easier - but it's still been hard work on my part - IMHO I have done 75% of the work to lose the 110 lbs by going to the gym and eating healthy 98% of the time and the band did the other 25% by providing restriction...

Good luck on your 1st fill - it will help - I was lucky to get to my sweet spot by my 2nd fill - with just a tad adjustment in January of .01 and still have perfect restriction for me (I can eat 1 cup to 1 1/2 cup max per meal..

I feel 10 yrs younger - have tons more energy - and gotta be honest it hasn't been that hard for me... I think I had my Ah Ha moment when I decided to have major surgery to get control of my weight and plus I really really did this for the health aspect of giving me a longer life..

I am doing very well this week at cutting out the carbs. I hope I can stay strong over the weekend.

I want to lose 15 lbs. Even at my goal, I was still in the

overweight BMI category. I thought that was ok cause I am a size 12, but now I have decided to try to lose a little more. I am just afraid it's going to make my saggy skin on my turkey neck worse.

Denise good for you - remember that saggy skin isn't going to hurt your heart - but the extra weight will :0) Hugs....

This is why I went for a normal bmi - I never thought in the beginning I would get to 170 (my original goal) but at 190 saw that it was going to be possible - changed it to 160 was still afaird I would never get there - and today I was 137 so if you just keep eating healthy - you will get there..

I know it's a little harder for you with th slower metabolism - but it's possible...

Yes, it's possible. I have to find the willpower I used to have when my bf is eating junk food. So far, I look at it and say you will never lose that 15 if you eat any of that. I gotta get that "just one bite'' message out of my head. One bite leads to many many more.

I think it is almost 100 % dieting. The band helps with Portion Control, but it's not going to help with eating the wrong foods that aren't restricted by the band. Cookies, chips, candy, slide right through the band no matter how much restriction you have.

It's dangerous to make your band too tight. You end up using the esophagus for a stomach. That is not good at all. It's dangerous. I was doing it and didn't even know it.