Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

To those who said I need another fill doctor and to remember the doctor works for me. I agree, but Iv called and called. Its worse than applying for a job, no, no, no.

Someone said I said I wanted to eat more is why I didnt get my fill. That was only one thing. I want to lose of course and have little faith in my band and fill doctor.

I have tried to talk and ask questions. I will say now are you SURE I will feel resistance this time and Im assured I will but I dont, except rare occassions, like cantelope a little. I will for sure go back, Im already regretting that I didnt go in last Saturday because she is taking off for Thanksgiving and now I cant go back until 11/29.

For instance when I told him I needed another fill (the husband does the appointements for his wife for fills and works with her on Sat), he said it was my fault, that I probably stretched my pouch. He didnt say it was their fault I had no resistance, he blames it on me each time.

Yes, the use fluoro and the barium swallow each time and then I drink Water after the barium. We went out for Dickies BBQ yesterday and so I walked 3.5 miles twice yesterday and Im down today about 2 lbs. Just think what I could lose if my band was helping. At least I hope so. I will for sure go in on Nov 29th and get that 3rd fill. Even if I feel its hopeless she will get me tight.

Lynn, I hope you are feeling better soon. I have no advice as that's not happened to me for that long of time either, but I am curiously reading your responses just in case it does.

My band seems to be fickle too. Lately since I was sick it's much tighter but not like it was. It seems to be loosening back up as I recover. I almost got an unfill but think I am going to be okay. Not sure now though about wanting a fill in a few weeks when I go in for a check. Especially since my appt is a few days before I go out of town for the week of Thanksgiving for a week. I may wait til my 6 mos post op appt which is the first week of Dec. Can't believe tomorrow will be 5 mos of banded life for me.

Doing so much better today. I am taking it slow and having mushies/ soft today and tomorrow, yesterday was all liquid.< /span>

I wasn't able to finish a 4 oz. container of cottage cheese for lunch today without feeling a tightness after about 2/3 of the container. I am going to try much harder to listen to my band and be so careful.

I am just glad I did not have to get an appt with the DR. to get this cleared up, My next appt is 12/30, and maybe or maybe not get another fill

Indio Girl

I notice that you are now down 20 pounds below your target. How wonderful is that! Congratulations you seem to be doing all the right things. I am still getting used to this whole new life of mine. Since my surgery 8/25 I have lost 23 pounds. Not bad but I was hoping for a little better. I think I have the food portion under control but not the exercise. I live a little North of Pittsburgh, PA and our weather is turning cold and dreary and walking has lost it's appeal. I know that needs to be kicked up. My thinking is I might be able to do a little better on my food choices. I thought I had read once that you follow WW still. Is that true? You do the point system? Your exercise must be way up as well. I am not good at committing to a gym but is that something that you do and would recommend? I have had one fill so far and scheduled to go in on Tuesday hopefully will get another one because I feel nothing with the first but something must be there because I did get a piece of meat stuck one day - something I will try to always avoid in the future that was ugly! I still can eat a good portion of food though - 3 oz of chicken and about a 1 1/2 cups of green Beans for dinner that's a lot don't you think?

Thanks

Sandi

Indio Girl

I notice that you are now down 20 pounds below your target. How wonderful is that! Congratulations you seem to be doing all the right things. I am still getting used to this whole new life of mine. Since my surgery 8/25 I have lost 23 pounds. Not bad but I was hoping for a little better. I think I have the food portion under control but not the exercise. I live a little North of Pittsburgh, PA and our weather is turning cold and dreary and walking has lost it's appeal. I know that needs to be kicked up. My thinking is I might be able to do a little better on my food choices. I thought I had read once that you follow WW still. Is that true? You do the point system? Your exercise must be way up as well. I am not good at committing to a gym but is that something that you do and would recommend? I have had one fill so far and scheduled to go in on Tuesday hopefully will get another one because I feel nothing with the first but something must be there because I did get a piece of meat stuck one day - something I will try to always avoid in the future that was ugly! I still can eat a good portion of food though - 3 oz of chicken and about a 1 1/2 cups of green Beans for dinner that's a lot don't you think?

Thanks

Sandi

Hey Sandi

My Original goal was 170 - then moved it to 160 which I got to in May but I really wanted 145 to have normal BMI - but was afraid I wouldn't get there as I have never before gotten below 165. Well, I am now 140 and maintaining just fine..

I like to be able to eat at least 1 cup of food per meal and usually for dinner it can be 1 to 1/4 - 1/2 cups - for me it's about my mental hunger as well as my physical hunger - as I have said a million times before I can eat dinner and be full on my 1 to 1 1/4 c food - but still be hungry mentally - if I was only eating 1/2 c per meal (which IMHO isn't all that healthy) I would be STARVING mentally which would make me reach for more slider foods that are higher in calories..

So I really think it's a personal choice on how much you can eat per meal and still lose weight and be mentally happy too.. That being said - since you are eating almost 2 cups for dinner - I would say yes you need a little fill.. But remember those green beans are really a slider food - how about 4 oz meat and 1/2 cup veggies - will you be full..

I follow a WW type eating plan - I learned WW when they still did exchanges - I have done the point system too but don't really remember it - I like WW as you do get starches/carbs - you eat a well balanced diet - meat, starches & veggies with an occasional treat - real life not a diet - like they always preached but I didn't hear - it's about a lifestyle change not a diet - diets don't work...

I eat starches/carbs - but in limited amounts - BF is usually yogurt/granola - lunch Protein & veggies - dinner fish 1/2 c rice and veggies - Snacks were fruit.100c popcorn - sf pudding and sf fudgecicles and yogurts (sf) - that was what I ate during the weight loss phase - would have eggs on the weekends - I still eat basically the same - but may have a snack mid morning and after lunch - were as before I saved (budgeted) snacks for evenings (my danger zone)

The point system is the same as counting calories - it's just points instead of calories - carbs have so many points protein has so many point etc.. I counted calories 800-1200 daily zig zagging them during the week and I kept a food diary for the 1st 12 months of my journey..

As to exercise - Yes for me it has been a big contributor to my success IMHO - for the 1st 8 months - I just did the treadmill at the gym (I'm lucky it's like 2 blocks from my house) I would go 4-5 days a week for those 1st 8 months - started slowly and worked myself up to 3 miles in 50 minutes. In March I got a personal trainer and started working out with the weights 2 x week - So now my exercise schedule is weights 2 x week - treadmill 3 miles 2 x week

Losing weight is all about what goes in and how much energy your burn - I never hit a plateau during my weight loss phase.

If you have a gym close and can afford it - I would suggest using it... If you can't - then get some exercise video (dancing with the stars) that you can do in your home - or while you are watching TV at nite - don't sit on the couch stand up and walk in place.. They have videos about walking in your own home - I know I got some on QVC a few years ago... But you gotta exercise...

Ok I gotta get back to work... I will cbl....

Oh I had the most amazing morning. Yesterday when I was at the hospital volunteering, myself and the other volunteer were given the opportunity to come this morning and observe a lapband surgery in the OR. OMG it was fascinating. The patient knew we were going to be there. I was so nervous this morning not knowing how I'd react. I got there early and met the other volunteer. Then we went to the womens locker room and changed into scrubs and awaited the call that they were ready. We put on hair thingies, booties over our shoes and masks and off we were. Now I know just what happened to me. And it didn't bother me at all seeing it. I missed my calling I should've been an OR nurse or something as I was fascinated.

This afternoon I got an injection in my knee. I have tried these injections (series of 3 each one week apart) before and they helped a tad. I am hoping now with the weight loss (79 today!!) they help even more. He said my knee was really swollen today so to take it easy the rest of the day and let the injection work it's stuff. So here I sit playing on the computer.

Good for you, Lori! I'm not sure I would be able to watch the surgery - maybe, but since I've not been asked I don't think I will raise the issue.

I hope your knee injections work well. I am scheduled to have my second round starting December 1. I know I need some help with the knee in order to get any good exercise at all. By the time I 've had the second of three, I'll be cleared to go to the gym and can do some easy elliptical stuff or Water exercises. My Euflexxa takes about 6 weeks to really be effective, so maybe it will help as the pounds come off. I have been doing the recumbant bike here at home, and that is going well.

Never too late to make a career change, girl. You have already proven you can meet a challenge and win!

Oh I had the most amazing morning. Yesterday when I was at the hospital volunteering, myself and the other volunteer were given the opportunity to come this morning and observe a lapband surgery in the OR. OMG it was fascinating. The patient knew we were going to be there. I was so nervous this morning not knowing how I'd react. I got there early and met the other volunteer. Then we went to the womens locker room and changed into scrubs and awaited the call that they were ready. We put on hair thingies, booties over our shoes and masks and off we were. Now I know just what happened to me. And it didn't bother me at all seeing it. I missed my calling I should've been an OR nurse or something as I was fascinated.

This afternoon I got an injection in my knee. I have tried these injections (series of 3 each one week apart) before and they helped a tad. I am hoping now with the weight loss (79 today!!) they help even more. He said my knee was really swollen today so to take it easy the rest of the day and let the injection work it's stuff. So here I sit playing on the computer.

I am so happy for you. Congrats on the weight loss and the new volunteer job. I think you have found a place to serve and keep you motivated with the band.:thumbup::thumbup::smile2:

I am still taking care of my grand daughter and daughter. I finally started journaling again. Talk about backsliding....I really fell off the bandwagon, but I am back now. :lol::thumbup::w00t:

Flowers, I feel like putting in my two cents also. I don't post here often but I do read alot and most know me. I felt like you in the beginning. But, If you had surgery on July29 then if I am reading right, you have averaged about 2.92 per week. I think that is GREAT! I was banded June 18th and to date ( Thursday) I have lost 47 lbs. My first fill was 1.2 (did nothing), second fill was .05 (did nothing), third fill was 0.5 (was upset with Dr. for not giving me more). By the first week of this fill POOF! it started to kick in. I am still hungry but not nearly as bad as I was so I know this one has started my process. Next week is my day to go to Dr. and I hope for another fill but I am doing much better now. You will start getting a fill that works eventually. I walk also and Protein really does work. So, HANG IN! You will get there. I am convinced of it now!

Beckyo:tt1:

Sorry Flowers, I noticed you were banded on July 9. I had wrong date. But still that is average about 2.4 lbs a week. That is still great!. Your BMI was lower than alot of others also so it could possibly be a little slower for you. You will get restriction so just be patient. I felt like I was doing 100% of the work also and I told my Dr. that. I begged for more fill and he said no!!!. Go slow!!! So now that this fill for me is kicking in, I am having more confidence and my fills have been extremely small. Janet is right, it takes time and it doesn't matter the size of fills. they all affect everyone differently. Just keep doing what you are doing, walking and proper eating and it will continue to come off.

Becky O

finally a weight loss. I guess being stuck earlier in the week and having liquids and mushies gave me a kick, Now have to wait and see if the loss continues.

Nothing tastes good right now anyways, fighting the annual sinus crap I get. Alll I want to do is Sleep :thumbs_up:

I hit 80 lbs lost today!!! WOO HOO. I call it virgin fat territory as I haven't been this low since my son was born. Twice in the past I lost 60 only to regain about 65 so this is new territory and a really big deal to me.

Congrats, Long, on hitting your 80# mark. Fun to see you so excited about it.

I have had a crazy week so have not had a lot of time to even read posts. We started our corn harvest on Monday. Got rained out yesterday and had snow last night. Raining here today and expecting snow again tonight.

Saw my doc on Tuesday. Am down 5# from my goal weight but he did not seemed concerned about it. He released me until March. Said didn't need to come back for a monthly visit unless I start gaining and want a fill. He still insists on 1/2 cup 3xdaily. I have been adding in healthy snack or two a day to see if I can just maintain. Don't think it will be a problem but it makes me a little nervous.

I feel so darned good in my new clothes and I physically feel great. Heading out tonight with DH to Celebrate out 29th anniversary. (It's Monday). Have a new Jones New York sweater (red and black...my fav) and new black slacks to go with it. Bought it for DH since he loves me in red. Meeting up with friends after dinner for a drink or two. That's about all it takes anymore to make me cross-eyed!

Hope everyone has a good weekend. Mine will be busy with organizing. My favorite thing to do. Went through the kitchen like a white tornado today. Rearranged the pantry and every cupboard. Now I'm off to make some pumpkin muffins and maybe some apple/cinnamon muffins if I have time. I have not slowed down on my baking at all since the band. It's something I enjoy so much. I just end up giving it away to friends and neighbors.

Wow, I'm new here. Sounds like a Congrats goes out to Apples and Long. All of you are hanging in there pretty good. I would like some ideas for staying on track over the weekends. I do good during the week(usually) but then the weekends arrive and while I'm at home I get the munchies. Old habits die hard!

Edited by Diva4

Welcome! I try to keep it to veggies and low fat dip or low fat popcorn, or lean Protein if my body is craving that. I love the sugar free microwave kettle corn, too. I just made up my mind to not eat "recreational foods" any more. If it doesn't have something to offer my body, it isn't going in my mouth. Or, how about sipping a calorie free drink that you enjoy?

But first look at why you are wanting to eat. Are you really hungry? Bored? Angry? If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the answer. I do little art projects to keep my hands and mind busy. If I have glue on my fingers, I'm not eating! LOL

My newest fun thing is "serendipity squares." You can Google them for instructions, but they take very little in terms of stuff, and no real ability. Just up my alley. ;-)

Good luck!