Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Yes, it's possible. I have to find the willpower I used to have when my bf is eating junk food. So far, I look at it and say you will never lose that 15 if you eat any of that. I gotta get that "just one bite'' message out of my head. One bite leads to many many more.

I think it is almost 100 % dieting. The band helps with Portion Control, but it's not going to help with eating the wrong foods that aren't restricted by the band. Cookies, chips, candy, slide right through the band no matter how much restriction you have.

It's dangerous to make your band too tight. You end up using the esophagus for a stomach. That is not good at all. It's dangerous. I was doing it and didn't even know it.

I don't think of it as dieting - I really don't - the way I ate b/4 was totally unhealthy... I just focus on eathing healthy

I stay away from high fat - high sugar foods and for me exercise is key..

Yep - I have always disagreed with pple who want to be so tight that they can barely eat - I know this wasn't what happend to you - but for Me I need to eat more than 1/2 c per meal...

Even though the band has been around for alot of years - it's only been here like 7 or 8 - so there is still alot to learn about it... I am happy i did it - so far knock on wood I am ok - and if I lost it - I would do the sleeve... I might try to keep it off on my own - but I don't know if my mind has changed that much - it does stop me from over eating - cuz i know if I take that one more bite I will bp and and I don't like to bp..

Thank you for your input Indigo and you must know what you are talking about because of your huge weight loss. I was just complaining about not loosing anything for two weeks to my husband and how frustrated I was before I read your response to my post. I guess I was like most of the public sector and that waitress that thought lap band is the easier way out. I really hope the lap band fill will help. The nurse told my husband that I should only be able to eat 1/4 cup of food after having the lap band. Maybe right after surgery that was all I could eat but not now. You tellling me that a cup is your normal, helped me to relax a bit.

I had to re-adjust my thinking and Indigo, you have helped me today to get back to the right reasoning. So thank you! :thumbdown: I was in a life and death situation and still am. I had lap band to prolong my life by eating right, getting my non alcoholic fatty liver healed, get my heart healthier, and loose the weight that is causing type 2 diabetes and edema from poor circulation from being a fat chick. The side line benefit is how much I loose, or how good I will look, or what size I will be. I took stock of what I am eating and I am eating much healthier. Junk food carbs were my major diet before this lap band experience and I don't eat that anymore. Thank you for the wake up and re-programing my brain glich.

Thank you for your input Indigo and you must know what you are talking about because of your huge weight loss. I was just complaining about not loosing anything for two weeks to my husband and how frustrated I was before I read your response to my post. I guess I was like most of the public sector and that waitress that thought lap band is the easier way out. I really hope the lap band fill will help. The nurse told my husband that I should only be able to eat 1/4 cup of food after having the lap band. Maybe right after surgery that was all I could eat but not now. You tellling me that a cup is your normal, helped me to relax a bit.

I had to re-adjust my thinking and Indigo, you have helped me today to get back to the right reasoning. So thank you! :tongue2: I was in a life and death situation and still am. I had lap band to prolong my life by eating right, getting my non alcoholic fatty liver healed, get my heart healthier, and loose the weight that is causing type 2 diabetes and edema from poor circulation from being a fat chick. The side line benefit is how much I loose, or how good I will look, or what size I will be. I took stock of what I am eating and I am eating much healthier. Junk food carbs were my major diet before this lap band experience and I don't eat that anymore. Thank you for the wake up and re-programing my brain glich.

No problem Tootsy... That's what us oldtimers are here for..

Yep so many pple think this is the easy way out - but any bander you talk to will tell you it isn't... I think that even the commercials make it seem easy - the band doesn't tame our mental hunger - and that where our problems lie.. It's not really the physical hunger that got us fat it was the mental hunger - cuz hell we all ate past full - we ate cuz it taste good - we ate to soothe our feeling..

Heck to this day I still want to eat when I am physically full..

The band doesn't help that..

We all need reminders now and again....

Hugs Janet

I agree. The band does absolutely nothing for me when I am craving ice cream or chips. I could probably eat a half a gallon of ice cream or an entire bag of chips, and no matter how tight my band is, I would have no trouble getting that down. It takes willpower, plain and simple.

Today, when I was craving sweets, I took out my exercise ball and did crunches. It was a good way to get my mind on something else.

Judy, got any photos to share in your outfit???? I bet you look great!

Well folks, I hit 82 today!! yahoo!! Since I seem to be on a losing streak again I think I will wait a few weeks on my next fill. I have a dr. appt next week and was going to ask for one then. But we leave a few days later for our Thanksgiving/pheasant hunting trip to S Dakota. I don't want to chance being in the middle of no where and being too tight. I have another appt for my 6 mos post op visit the first week of Dec. and may just get the fill then. That way if it's too much or something I am close and can go back in.

I may be meeting a gal I met on Obesity Help that lives near me and had lap band surgery on Monday for a lunch of Soup. But got a message from her this morning and she may have to cancel or postpone. I hope not as I was looking forward to it.

Long...Congratulations on your weight loss, you have done so well. I was wondering if you would share with me what you're doing? I'm struggling right now. I go next Wednesday for my 3rd fill, and have gained 1 lb since last fill. I normally drink a Slim Fast for Breakfast, have a Smart One for lunch, then dinner is whatever. I need suggestions for dinner. Please help!! Would love some advice.

Pj :Dancing_sorry:

HI PJ,

Yeah, I'm struggling too, mainly with head hunger. But one thing I've found is I've stopped the slimfast. Instead I eat a high-fiber high Protein Cereal (like GoLean, or a bran product) and that does keep me feeling fuller, longer. The slim fast slides right through. I also eat a Healthy Choice meal now for lunch at work. My problem is I like to eat often...especially when I'm at work. As soon as I start to feel the least bit empty (not necessarily hungry) I want to fill 'er up. That's where I struggle. I've also tried a regular sandwich - bread and low fat turkey lunchmeat - which again is more satisfying than just lunchmeat alone, which is what I was eating.

I try to stick to the rule of Protein first (solid types) and then veggies...but that doesn't always work well when you're out, or using "fast food" - it's all high fat, high calorie stuff.

But yeah...menu suggestions are welcome!! I too need some help! I don't like the garlicky foods...which limits my choices in frozen meals.

Hi

Orea,glad you came back. I know what you mean. I can't actually blame the band for my current issues - it works fine, but I can just eat too much anyhow and I've been making poor food choices. But I get the dispirited part, for sure!

I've slipped into back into some bad habits. I've been 'dieting' for the past 11 months, and suddenly, I've been wanting my former foods. I think it's the time of year - so many holiday reciptes, cold-weather foods, sweets, family gatherings - and less low-calorie summer foods around.

Anyhow, I find myself eating too much. Every day I say I'm going to do better, and yet, I end up eating something I shouldn't that adds a couple hundred empty calories- such as corn puff caramel corn I made this weekend 'for the family."

Do you guys find that if you even take a small serving of a sweet, like a mini-candy bar, you want more? That sure has been happening to me - and it's like a cascade of cravings.

I keep wishing I could be satisfied with much less, like I was able to eat the first few months after banding. But that same small serving just isn't doing it anymore. I gained 2 pounds in the past week - I was at a conference where they fed us Really well - and this despite using the treadmill to walk at least a couple miles a day. This past weekend with family gatherings, more 'bad' food. And I just haven't been emotionally able to walk away from the food.

Gosh...it's so hard to get back in control! I do have a fill scheudled next week, and hope that does it - but think I'll only be able to have a small filll as I don't want to be overly tight / getting Protein stuck. My last fill was the first time I ever really had any real restriction - sensation of food being stuck briefly if I eat chicken, etc, too fast. That's eased up now, so I hope I another small fill will do the trick.

How have you been able to get back in control and 'on the wagon." I don't want to fall back into my former life!

As for sugary items, I haven't touched sugar since I was banded in October. I found out a few years back when I did the Atkins diet, that it takes 3 days for sugar to get out of your system. I did that, and was amazed at how you lose your craving for sugar. Notice I said craving...not the desire for some. I might think about and remember how good a cookie tasted BUT I know once I have it, I'll want more and more and more. So much easier not to take that first bite of something with sugar. It is so much easier to say "no" when you aren't craving sugar. My suggestion to people who are getting ready to be banded, start out with sugar free and stay that way. It will make it a LOT easier for you.

Long...Congratulations on your weight loss, you have done so well. I was wondering if you would share with me what you're doing? I'm struggling right now. I go next Wednesday for my 3rd fill, and have gained 1 lb since last fill. I normally drink a Slim Fast for Breakfast, have a Smart One for lunch, then dinner is whatever. I need suggestions for dinner. Please help!! Would love some advice.

Pj :cool:

Thanks PJ. First off I agree with Lizalee about the shakes for breakfast, something more solid would stay longer. Even if it's a mushier solid like eggs. Also, I wonder, do you get enough Protein in the Smart Ones for lunch? I'm not saying what I do is the only way but those are 2 areas where I would wonder first. This is my typical day, and I do go by the 1/2 cup portions they are satisfying to me, I know to some they are not but as long as I start with high quality protein first I do fine on them:

Breakfast: almost always 1/4 cup egg beaters with a pinch of cheese and 2 slices of precook bacon. Sometimes especially if in a hurry I have a s/f yogurt. King Soopers (Kroger) here has one with 11 grms of protein.

Lunch: usually 4 oz of chicken (lately my portions have been growing to about 6 oz so may be close to a fill) Once a week I satisfy my craving for McNuggets at lunch.

Dinner: 4 oz of whatever meat I am fixing fish, chicken, steak and a few veggies. I make the steamfresh veggies and take a big spoon or so out of them for myself and give rest to hubby. Rarely but if still hungry some potato or something.

Snacks: once a week i treat myself to a 1/2 of a Sonic blast (ice cream with M&M's kindda like a DQ Blizzard) but usually it's s/f yogurt, pudding, piece of meat or sausage or cashews

I've not had bread since banding, tried a piece of pizza once and the crust got stuck and hurt something fierce. I've had 5 fills plus a prefill at surgery. Exercise I still hate, still haven't found something I enjoy but I do it about 2 to 3 times a week, I do need to do better at increasing this and increasing the intensity. I always eat my protein first, this helps so much. If I don't I can eat so much more, I found myself one night eating everything else before my protein as it looked so good (wasn't at home) and I was shocked at how much more I could eat and quickly learned how that could get me into so much trouble. Now come Thanksgiving if I can remember that I will do so much better with all those goodies around. I love my stuffing and am not sure I can try it or not since it's bread. I will be out of town and sure don't want to have a stuck or PB episode in front of the 29 people I am cooking for. Hope this helps. This is what is working for me.

LONG, CONGRATS ON THE WEIGHT LOSS! I like to read what people eat. I eat eggbeaters too for breakfast, but I will try the bacon with them. Have you tried the Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage? It is so good. I buy the patties for breakfast.

Hi everyone in the 50 and over gang---

I was banded on August 27th, 2008 and for the most part I have had a real good experience. My surgery went very smoothly and since my 2wk pre-surgery diet, I have lost close to 40 lbs.

I have enjoyed reading your posts on this thread. I hope you will allow me to join you. It is so good to find a group of like minded people who are going through this adventure together.

Thanks--mimi22:smile2:

I was banded on August 27th, 2008 and for the most part I have had a real good experience. My surgery went very smoothly and since my 2wk pre-surgery diet, I have lost close to 40 lbs.

I have enjoyed reading your posts on this thread. I hope you will allow me to join you. It is so good to find a group of like minded people who are going through this adventure together.

Welcome Mimi...the more the merrier! Also, congrats on your weight loss success. This is a very friendly and helpful group. Wishing you continued success!

Long & Lizalee thanks for the info. Lizalee I am the opposite, I like to munch more in the evening.

Long, I probably don't get enough Protein with the Smart Ones, that is a problem from me, if I don't take that I don't know what to take.

I've never tried the egg beaters, do they taste like real eggs?

I weighed this morning, scales finally moved down a bit.

Hi, IVE BEEN READING THE POSTS AND ENJOYED IT. I WAS BANDED JUNE 11, LOST 55 LBS NOW. SOUNDS LIKE A NICE GROUP. I AM IN THE JUNE BUGS BUT THEY HAVE SO MANY POSTS IT IS HARD TO FIND ANYBODY. I ALSO LIKE TO HEAR WHAT OTHERS ARE EATING. I AGREE, I DON'T HAVE SWEETS EITHER , ONE BITE AND I WOULD WANT THEM, NO bread SINCE BEING BANDED. I AM GETTING CLOSE TO GOAL, BUT MAY LOWER IT IF ALL GOES WELL. I HAVE A 10CC. BAND WITH 5 FILLS. AND I THINK 5CC. DH SAYS I HAVE LOST ENOUGH, WENT FROM 18 TO A 12. BUT I WANT MORE...I FEEL GREAT. THANKS FOR THE POSTS. I AM 57 AS OF THE 12TH. JUDY

LONG, CONGRATS ON THE WEIGHT LOSS! I like to read what people eat. I eat eggbeaters too for breakfast, but I will try the bacon with them. Have you tried the Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage? It is so good. I buy the patties for breakfast.

No I haven't tried the sausage, but then again I am not a real sausage lover. But maybe I should try them to change it up. Thanks on the congrats!

Welcome Mimi, jump right in. Look forward to getting to know you more. Congrats on the weight loss so far.

Long & Lizalee thanks for the info. Lizalee I am the opposite, I like to munch more in the evening.

Long, I probably don't get enough Protein with the Smart Ones, that is a problem from me, if I don't take that I don't know what to take.

I've never tried the egg beaters, do they taste like real eggs?

I weighed this morning, scales finally moved down a bit.

One thing that I like for portable protein for lunches is the canned chicken from costco. I dip it in a little BBQ Sauce, it's pretty good and goes down easier than a piece of chicken breast. I tend to stay away from the breasts as they don't go down well for me, thighs are easier. I think the egg beaters taste like scrambled eggs. I salt and pepper them a lot and add a little cheddar cheese when done to melt on top. Congrats on the loss!!

Hi, IVE BEEN READING THE POSTS AND ENJOYED IT. I WAS BANDED JUNE 11, LOST 55 LBS NOW. SOUNDS LIKE A NICE GROUP. I AM IN THE JUNE BUGS BUT THEY HAVE SO MANY POSTS IT IS HARD TO FIND ANYBODY. I ALSO LIKE TO HEAR WHAT OTHERS ARE EATING. I AGREE, I DON'T HAVE SWEETS EITHER , ONE BITE AND I WOULD WANT THEM, NO bread SINCE BEING BANDED. I AM GETTING CLOSE TO GOAL, BUT MAY LOWER IT IF ALL GOES WELL. I HAVE A 10CC. BAND WITH 5 FILLS. AND I THINK 5CC. DH SAYS I HAVE LOST ENOUGH, WENT FROM 18 TO A 12. BUT I WANT MORE...I FEEL GREAT. THANKS FOR THE POSTS. I AM 57 AS OF THE 12TH. JUDY

Welcome JD!! I've had 5 fills too, seems to have been my magic number as far as fills go as I haven't had one for awhile now.

My doc doesn't restrict eating after a fill, if it doesn't bother you, do it. But after reading others post, i do liquids for a day, then mushies morn. And reg. food later that day. She does no pre fill, and puts blue dye in, so she knows she hits the right spot when giving a fill. Sometimes i feel restriction and some times not. I try not to do the bad carbs. Thanks