Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

I eat a high-fiber high Protein Cereal (like GoLean, or a bran product) and that does keep me feeling fuller, longer.

I try to eat a grain Cereal too, something with flax or granola. It not only keeps me full longer, it keeps me regular!!! :rolleyes:

I still am struggling along, waiting until 11/29th for that next fill. Eating a plate of mini carrots to eat something. Im always hungry. Only 2 more weeks until the doc will be back that does my fills. Thank goodness. I saw 190 yesterday morning, but 191 again this morning, so didnt move down my ticker.

Hi Orea, glad to see you are still hanging out here.

Lizalee, I loved reading your 'story' I could've written so many portions of it myself! Congrats on now living your life. That is so awesome about getting the farm and having your horses etc.

I forgot to mention in my post to April, I was off my blood pressure meds exactly one week post op! That alone made it worthwhile to me.

Wow some amazing stories here today.

LizaLee, I went shopping today and picked up some GoLean cereal, I'm anxious to try it in the morning. My only concern was the grams of sugar. I try to keep sugar low, and calories. My girlfriend tells me not to worry about sugar just count the calories. Thanks for the advice.

Hi Just wanted to introduce myself to this group. Just banded on November 3 08, and so far so good, just been doing the liquids, will see Dr. on Friday. I'm excited to be here and look forward to all your suggestions and feelings.

It has been 6 months since surgery and have lost a total of 74.6 lbs!!! This week my weight loss is 3.2 lbs!!! I love my band Looosssiiieee!!! YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHH!!!!

LizaLee, I went shopping today and picked up some GoLean cereal, I'm anxious to try it in the morning. My only concern was the grams of sugar. I try to keep sugar low, and calories. My girlfriend tells me not to worry about sugar just count the calories. Thanks for the advice.

Hope you like it. I actually found it was tasteless, so I add losts of Splenda, which makes it palatable for my tastes. It's a fairly dense cereal (lots of fiber). But it does fill me up, which was the point for me! :-)

Right now I'm eating All-bran yogurt bites...because DD didn't like it. It too works well, but I think it has more actual sugar (I don't need to add much Splenda.)

BTW - Splenda seems to be the most wonderful thing invented except the Band in my book. I love it. Now, I've read that it might not work as well to curb cravings, because the brain expects a sugar load because it's so sweet, then doesn't get it, and craves more...but that was just one study I think. I sure do like the sugar-free fudgsicles, and sugar free foods I wouldn't have touched before because of the artificial sweetener aftertaste, I know can't tell the difference, who it's a good thing in my book.

I have a mixed box of SF popsicle brand and the fudgesicles are ok, but my favorite is the creamsicles (15 calories). The popsicles I eat just to get to the others lol. The mixed box has all 3 kinds in one box for variety.

Almost a year ago, I started this journey. I was 339 pounds, had given up on dieting and was on a eating free-for-all. Have never been thin since I was 21, and that was only for about a year - I was a fat kid too.

My dream-life way back when was to have a horse. Well, I lived my dream vicariously through my daughters, who were in 4H for 10 years and we now own 2 horses, which I was never able to ride because I was too fat. Horse shows were exhausting to me, all that walking and lugging stuff around.

I had completely given up on my hopes and dreams. I was looking forward to retirement, and instead of ever living in the country and having a horse to ride, I was now thinking the only thing life had in store for me was a condo where I wouldn't have to do much physically.

You can see from my stats that I've done well! It's nothing short of a miracle! I am very close to "onderland!" I can wear 1X clothes now, and am very close to fitting into the regular misses sizes! I feel like a whole new person! I am not embarrassed to travel for work, meet new people, etc. I am no longer this grotesque fat person, but a happy 'normal' looking person. For me, the Band was an answer to prayers, and nothing short of a miracle!

Cut some of your post, but...just wanted to say, that is a GREAT testimony! You've really made wonderful progress!!

Congrats!!

Hi Just wanted to introduce myself to this group. Just banded on November 3 08, and so far so good, just been doing the liquids, will see Dr. on Friday. I'm excited to be here and look forward to all your suggestions and feelings.

WELCOME!!

It has been 6 months since surgery and have lost a total of 74.6 lbs!!! This week my weight loss is 3.2 lbs!!! I love my band Looosssiiieee!!! YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHH!!!!

That's GREAT!! Congratulations!!

I've been reading many of your posts over the past month or so.....I've even posted a few comments myself, though not on any regular basis.

I started the "journey" last summer - going to the seminar, getting all the tests done etc.....I felt so gung-ho and ready to have the surgery. I was scheduled for August 27th. I felt excited and nervous at the same time, but had such determination to make this change.

Then my insurance company turned me down. I felt like all my energy just drained out of me.....I was devastated, angry, frustrated etc.

Well what do "fat chicks" (to use Indigo's words) do when we are frustrated and angry? I ate.

I ate so much that I regained the 5% that I was required to lose before surgery. In fact I've gained a few more!

A few weeks ago my doctor's office called to say that they had won the appeal and my insurance company reversed their decision......I have approval!

With my work schedule it will not be possible to get time off till January......so here I am .....kind of in limbo.

I think knowing I have (had) two months to lose the weight again just made me lazy......I'm a procrastinator by nature...........so I have still not pulled myself together to get the weight off. I promise myself every day to start fresh.

Sorry for the long post............but the problem I am having now is not knowing if I still want to do the LapBand.

How can something I wanted so badly, now seem like something I really don't want anymore?

I read about the challenges and struggles some of you are having post LapBand.......and your advice and suggestions to one another are wonderful .....and I am sure so helpful......but I can't help thinking to myself that if I will still have "head hunger" and cravings after the surgery, then why put myself through that?

If I knew how to maintain Portion Control I wouldn't be in the spot I'm in. I really wonder if as some of you say, the LapBand does not help to prevent you from eating too much ..... then why do it?

I have heard too many stories - both here and from friends I know - of people gaining the weight back......

Forgive me for sounding so negative......Please believe me that I am delighted for those of you who have had so much success with the LapBand.......I guess I am just really trying to reach out and have someone convince me that LapBand WILL help me......

One day I feel like "yes" I want to go ahead with this.....and the next day I say "who am I kidding?"......I will always want things like ice cream or Cookies.....and again if I can use willpower to stay away from those things, then why not just go back to Weight Watchers?

Ok April - here's my 2 cents - and I know you will get it cuz you obislouly read my post :smile2: - but this has to be quick cuz I am at work ...

#1 the band does help with protion control once you get to your sweet spot - but on hard protien not slider foods.

#2 gaing weight back ya banders do it - bypass pple regain it back - WW pple gain it back- everyone who loses weight and does not make it a lifetime lifestyle change is going to gain it back - None of these things (band/bypass/diets) are the magic answers to our issues with food - they are only just tools.

#3 IMHO the majority of our problems are in our heads - this is why for some they get counseling along with their band to deal with these issues - for some of us its simple boredom as to why we eat and for other it could be major issues like abuse etc.

#4 the band is my interior motivator - I had frickin major surgery to get this tool - I wanted to get the fat off so that I would hopefully extend the years I have left. I want to see my grandkids grow us.

#5 this isn't a diet - a lifetime lifestyle change which does allow for occiasional treat - 1 piece of cake not the whole thing -

#6 I eat healthy 98% of the time 2% treat plus exercise - I am not deprived at all - as the lbs come of you will feel like a caterpilar turning into a butterfly...

Gotta get back to work - I know I didn't respond to others but I will later...

Hugs Janet

April - I've been whining lately about cravings and head hunger. But everything is relative.

Almost a year ago, I started this journey. I was 339 pounds, had given up on dieting and was on a eating free-for-all. Have never been thin since I was 21, and that was only for about a year - I was a fat kid too.

I had tried dietitian-monitored dieting, dieting on my own, etc. I know plenty about nutrition and calorie counting, and strategies to avoid overating,etc., but could never stay on a diet for more than 3 months without dreaming of food and feeling hopeless, since I had so much to loose.

I couldn't buy any clothes but what was in extended women's sizes through catalogs. I developed type 2 diabetes, and was on two medications. I had high blood pressure, and my cholesterol count was up, so two more meds. I had severe sleep apnea. My knees were sore, my back was sore. I couldn't walk around the block and not be winded - so I avoided any walking like the plaugue. I didn't want to do anything around the house -cleaning was exhausting, laundry was so many trips up and down the stairs a real challenge.

My dream-life way back when was to have a horse. Well, I lived my dream vicariously through my daughters, who were in 4H for 10 years and we now own 2 horses, which I was never able to ride because I was too fat. Horse shows were exhausting to me, all that walking and lugging stuff around.

I had completely given up on my hopes and dreams. I was looking forward to retirement, and instead of ever living in the country and having a horse to ride, I was now thinking the only thing life had in store for me was a condo where I wouldn't have to do much physically.

I read about the band 2 years ago, and thought I could never do it. I could never give up eating the foods I love. I love to eat, and I love to cook.

And then I realized that between the weight, diabetes, cholesterol, etc., I wasn't going to live very long either. I had a hernia and needed surgery, but was afrraid the risks were too great. I feared ever needing a CT scan or an MRI, because I was overweight for the machine - would have had to go where they had a extra-large machine!

My oldest son got married 1 1/2 years ago. The pictures make me cringe - so fat!!! Stick out like a sore thumb. I was uncomfortable and embarassed.

Then, I decided, enough was enough. If others could do it, so could I. I was 51 going on 70 at the time...and I didn't like it. I wanted to be here in case there were grandkids someday.

So, I started the program. 4 months or so later, I finally got the band, but I was already about 40 pounds lighter and out of the 300's then. I felt great already!

You can see from my stats that I've done well!

It's nothing short of a miracle! I am very close to "onderland!" I can wear 1X clothes now, and am very close to fitting into the regular misses sizes!

I can walk 2 1/2 miles now without any problem - in fact, I just got back from doing just that. I have ridden one of the horses now 4 times!!! :-) (but I'm not very good at it!)

And - we have an offer in on a hobby farm with 5 1/2 acres, and as soon as somebody buys our house (say a prayer!!) we will be bringing our horses home and living my life-long dream!

It will be a lot of physical work, but I'm no longer afraid of it. In fact, I'm looking forward to it, since I'm running out of ways to burn off calories now that it's so cold up here in Wisconsin.

I feel like a whole new person! I am not embarasssed to travel for work, meet new people, etc. I am no longer this grotesque fat person, but a happy 'normal' looking person.

Sure, I gripe about eating too much - but that means 1400 or 1600 calories instead of 1000 - 1200 I'd like too in order to drop the pounds faster. Not 3000 or 4000 like I used to eat!!!

So...only you can decide. What would you like your life to be? And what will help you get there?

For me, the Band was an answer to prayers, and nothing short of a miracle!

Maybe it's not the same for you ... you need to make the committment for yourself, when you are ready. Nobody can make it be successful. If I chose to eat ice cream and chocolate and Cookies everyday, I will gain weight. I work very hard not to, and despair when I have weak moments and do just that. But then, there's another fill, or I have to make a change in my lifestyle again. It will be a lifelong battle, but I'm glad I have the band in my side to help me. It's much EASIER with the band!

Good luck with whatever you choose. When you're ready, you will know what to do.

As I get closer and closer to my date - here come all you wonderful people out of my computer screen to encourage and inspire me! Thank you for your story, Lizalee. I, too, loved to ride horses in my formative years. I don't see us with horses on our property, but I do see horseback trips in the mountains in our future. I am so happy to see your amazing success with the band. I know you have frustrations at times, and I will, too - but we just keep on keepin' on and we will attain those goals we have set for ourselves.

Thank you again - and I wish you the best!

As I get closer and closer to my date - here come all you wonderful people out of my computer screen to encourage and inspire me! Thank you for your story, Lizalee. I, too, loved to ride horses in my formative years. I don't see us with horses on our property, but I do see horseback trips in the mountains in our future. I am so happy to see your amazing success with the band. I know you have frustrations at times, and I will, too - but we just keep on keepin' on and we will attain those goals we have set for ourselves.

Thank you again - and I wish you the best!

JoAnne...you are going to do so great at this. If the one and only reason I feel it is that you are soooooo informed about what you are in for. As far as I'm concerned, I think you really have your sh__ together on all of this!!!!! You are such a positive and encouraging person. Those traits will come through and help you in the first months after banding.

I have had far too many surgeries to keep count anymore. The one and only time I cried b/4 surgery was with my band. I was fine until they came to get me and I walked down the hall to OR. No, not sad tears or tears because I was afraid. I think that day was the first time I ever felt like I was getting things under control and I was crying "happy tears". A couple of the surgical nurses came running to try and calm me down. But, after explaining that I was happy to say goodbye to the old me, they smiled. I have felt that control every day since surgery.

There will be days, JoAnne, which I am sure you are aware. But if you go into this with a positive attitude and tell yourself you can make this work, you will sail through after surgery. :smile2:

Thank you, Apples! I have learned so much from all of you on this and a couple of other threads - I feel like I have such a jump on this whole process. I am sure there will be some surprises, but I'm hoping most of them will be good ones!

I glanced down at the list of "current active users viewing this thread" and I see all FRIENDS names there!!! How cool is that??

Thank you, Apples! I have learned so much from all of you on this and a couple of other threads - I feel like I have such a jump on this whole process. I am sure there will be some surprises, but I'm hoping most of them will be good ones!

I glanced down at the list of "current active users viewing this thread" and I see all FRIENDS names there!!! How cool is that??

It is so nice to see eveyone continuing to participate on this thread. There are a few threads that I try to keep up on, but there seems to be few participants as the time after banding passes..