Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hi, all, I was banded 09/29/2008. My surgeon still has me on thick liquids until 6 weeks. i am so bored with this food and hungry. But I have lost 26 pounds so I am happy about that. I am 59 and glad to hear from others nearer my age. Any food recommendations are welcome. Also, where do you get the cute graphic and the weight loss scale at the bottom of your posts?

Welcome!

If you go to frequently asked questions, there are instructions on how to make a weight loss ticker.

Liquids for 6 weeks is a long time. I had to do 4 weeks. There is a food and recipe section on this board too that has good suggestions for that stage. Let us know you have any more questions. We are all glad to help!

Katy & Denise - keep hydrated, get in those nutrients. Feeling light headed and passing out, not good :smile2:

HAPPY HALLOWEEN to everyone. The candy is my weakness, and it is all around here at work. UGH!! :tt1:

Hi Lynnt,

The dizziness is still with me but I'm drinking losts of electrolite drinks for rehydration. My blood pressure was ok when the GP checked me the other day. I was sure that it would be anything but normal.

Bst wishes.

Huh?? Are you talking about me?? Cuz I didn't start any new threads!

Hi phyllser,

I really do appologise for saying that you have started another thread.

I'd browsed the links to see what else was on the site and on one of them it said "phyllser has started a new thread". I didn't open it, just thought thought it was yourself. Or were they talking about this thread. Did you start this one? Either way, I should've checked it out before opening my big mouth. Sincere appologies.

Best wishes.

WARNING

Anyone suffering from Reflux or Indigestion ignore the adverts for these on this site = Reflux Remedy Report ..........Get rid of heartburn and reflux with these simple cures..

They do not work. They guarantee money back but fail to refund it.

They claimed it was $19.95 US on special but charged my credit card $46.95 AU. It also took them around two weeks to process it. I had to ring my bank to find out what it was as it was not even under the companies name.

People like myself who are in agony try anything and everything for relief.

To have these rip off merchants on here is not an honest thing to do to us.

29 pages of printing that I could have read anywhere about these problems were printed out and also about other "remedys" they have for many more ailments.

Beware

How did everyone do on Halloween? I gave in and had 3 widdle bitty pieces of chocolate candy, the little ones. :) It was killing me to look at them. So today I plan on walking til I can't walk anymore....lol

Have a Great Day Everyone !!

CANDY - Just bit left here after the gang came by last night. I did have a few "fun" size bars as a treat, but anything left heads off to work on Monday and will be out of my sight YIPPEE!!

My grandson totally refused to get dressed in his costume last night. He is 3 years old and all he would say is "NO", "No way", after trying to persuade him we all gave up and just shrugged our shoulders. He would have been so cute as Spiderman :) Maybe next year!!

A busy weekend ahead. Will check in and see how everyone is doing..Enjoy :cursing:

Just want to say hello to everyone as I have not posted in forever! I read the posts as often as I can and get so much out of them. Sometimes it's time to pay it forward so to speak and hopefully someone will learn by my mistakes.

I went for my 2nd fill on Wednesday the 29th(first one was 9/12) I never felt a really good restriction but lost 8 lbs in that 6 weeks which the Dr. was pleased with. He decided to give me a fill due to my hunger waking me in the middle of the night. He first put 1 CC in and tested it with the fluoroscope...felt it was going through a little too fast and then put in another CC and had me drink again. He said the restriction was better and told me I now had 7CC's total in my band of 14 CC's. I didn't feel any tighter, but burped a couple of times and agreed with him that I was all set. He told me to stay on liquids for 2 days and then resume normal eating. To make a long gross story short here wouldn't do it justice, but I will spare all of you!:)

Thursday wasn't too bad a day, but the night proved something was drastically too tight, I couldn't even keep Water down, the sliming was unbelievable. As I got to work on Friday ( I work at a dental office as a

manager) I couldn't even talk to patients without burping up slime (sorry)

I was so embarrassed. I called the Dr.s office and went over immediately. They put me on the scale and in 2 days I was down 4 lbs. I was severely dehydrated he said and needed to remove some saline. He removed 1.4CC's and I could feel immediate relief. That was scary and as much as I felt like I was on the "biggest loser" loosing 4 lbs in two days it just wasn't fun :wink: I think the burping was an indication I was way too tight. So be careful out there and when you go for a fill and you do any kinda burping.....take some out! I am finding out it is better to be a bit underfilled and sometimes hungry than to go through those 2 days of whatever it is I went through. :cursing:

Hi,to all can anybody help me with Liquid Protein? I was told to get some to help me get my 65 grams per day. Do i add it to my shakes ? or just drink it?:) Has anyone used this item,and can help me? I have not had my surgery yet but i need to find this item before i do,so i'm ready when the doctor is.Also fruit flavored drinks? and shakes?any body have any ideas that could help me:confused::cursing::confused::wink: Kerry

Im not sure which ONE item you are looking for. There are portein shots which you can buy from GNC or health food stores.

You can buy canned Protein Drinks, some have more Protein than others, thats what Iv been using this time.

Previous diets, I made my own Protein Shakes. I have a whole bunch of SF syrups which I add with a handfull of berries. I have chocolate, carmel, peach, cherry, raspberry, and others. If Im not using chocolate powder in my magic bullet I add flavors. I dont do vanilla.

Be sure to read the can, usually the cheaper brands have less grams of protein for the same calories, so you probably have to pay a little more if you are mixing your own.

I went for my 2nd fill on Wednesday the 29th(first one was 9/12) I never felt a really good restriction but :rolleyes2:

It's posts like this that have me nervous. Iv had two fills, 1.8 cc each time in a 10 cc band, so I hardly feel any restriction. I was supposed to go in today and pulled back. The doctor wouldnt be back until Nov 29th, so it will be a while before I can go.

Im still losing just dieting and walking and be carefull of my sugar in my foods. I started to think about it and my family has had good foods all week I couldnt say no to, and wouldnt be able to eat some if I got really tight. Cant eat bread I hear. Right now I can still eat everything.

Either the band was never for me, or I just dont have confidence my fill doctor will get me tight enough, she keeps saying for sure Ill feel some restriction .... and I havent. Fills seem like a waste of time based on the two I have had for $200 a pop. Im losing at least a pound a week, just watching it. I just cant make up my mind about getting a 3rd fill, the other two just did nothing for me. I feel like Im throwing money out the window.

I guess what I might be looking for is liquid protein/amino acids a concentrated liquid(usually honey consistency) a 1 oz. is around 15grams of Protein and I guess you either drink the 1 oz?or add it to a shake? Also Flowers where do you get the sf syrups? Kerry

Flowers, if you aren't feeling any restriction after 2 fills then you don't have enough of a fill. The answer wouldn't be to not get any more. I had a prefill during surgery and have had 5 more since. I got very little restriction in my first 2 fills after surgery. I got a little more with each one. And as I lose weight I need more fills as the band loosens up as I lose the fat pad between the band and stoma. Some docs seem more aggressive than others with fills, but hang in there.

Chicks, each time I've gotten a fill I worry it will be too tight. So far, knock on wood, it hasn't happened. I'm at 10.5 in a 14cc band. I may get a small tweak the week before Thanksgiving when I go in next as it's starting to loosen up, but has been perfect! So I am a little unsure if I will or not.

I have a whopper of a cold and feel like crap. I also can't eat much. I remember mention in one of the lap band classes about when you have a cold or flu and there being drainage some folks need an unfill. Anyone hear of that? I'm not sure I am there but can eat very little. For dinner I had half a hamburger patty (they were large) and was very full. I hope this passes soon. I'm also worried about it settling in my chest and getting a horrible cough. Afraid that coughing hard would dislodge something.

I guess what I might be looking for is Liquid protein/amino acids a concentrated liquid(usually honey consistency) a 1 oz. is around 15grams of Protein and I guess you either drink the 1 oz?or add it to a shake? Also Flowers where do you get the sf syrups? Kerry

That sounds like the Protein Shots I mentioned you can buy at GNC. They arent cheap. You can probably find them other places, thats just one place, you can try other health food stores too. Yes, they are concentrated and just about the size of a shot glass, hence the name.

I got most of my syrups at World Market, but you can find some common flavors at the bigger Walmarts. Lots of online sites sell them too.

-----

Long2BeThin, I guess Im still not sure the lapband is my answer? I wasnt over eating, Im close to be diabetic and so sugars affect me, so Im watching my sugars much better and walking 4 miles a day to lose. I cant go back now until Nov 29th to get another fill. Its 5 hours round trip and she doesnt spend 10 minutes with you. Yes, I feel like she has been way too conservative. Im just discouraged how my band isnt helping, its just another diet so far. Will power and exercise.

One huge question Iv really wondered about. If you are tight, how many pounds would you probably lose before you needed another fill to get back to tight?? would it be like every 20 lbs or what should I expect? Assuming she ever gets me to tight restriction. How often do you get a fill once you do get tight? Pound wise I mean.

Hi phyllser, I really do appologise for saying that you have started another thread. I'd browsed the links to see what else was on the site and on one of them it said "phyllser has started a new thread". I didn't open it, just thought thought it was yourself. Or were they talking about this thread. Did you start this one? Either way, I should've checked it out before opening my big mouth. Sincere apologies. Best wishes.

No problem, Katy. I was confused about what you meant. You're probably talking about the 60+ thread I started, but that was quite a while ago. They'd shut down a bunch of our threads because they got too big, so I started a new thread for the over 60 crowd.

It's posts like this that have me nervous. Iv had two fills, 1.8 cc each time in a 10 cc band, so I hardly feel any restriction. I was supposed to go in today and pulled back. The doctor wouldn't be back until Nov 29th, so it will be a while before I can go. Im still losing just dieting and walking and be carefull of my sugar in my foods. I started to think about it and my family has had good foods all week I couldnt say no to, and wouldnt be able to eat some if I got really tight. Cant eat bread I hear. Right now I can still eat everything. Either the band was never for me, or I just dont have confidence my fill doctor will get me tight enough, she keeps saying for sure Ill feel some restriction .... and I havent. Fills seem like a waste of time based on the two I have had for $200 a pop. Im losing at least a pound a week, just watching it. I just cant make up my mind about getting a 3rd fill, the other two just did nothing for me. I feel like Im throwing money out the window.

You've gotta hang in there, Flowers. I'd say it takes at least 3 fills before your restriction starts really working for you. Stick with it. Don't give up already! It's going to be okay!! Read Long's post... she's right on!

I guess what I might be looking for is Liquid protein/amino acids a concentrated liquid(usually honey consistency) a 1 oz. is around 15grams of Protein and I guess you either drink the 1 oz?or add it to a shake? Also Flowers where do you get the sf syrups? Kerry

You can get those sugar free syrups in most grocery stores, usually by the coffee as they're the type that are often added to espresso drinks... lattes, etc. When I was needing to up my Protein intake I bought a large jar of whey Protein, the kind that is tasteless and dissolves easily in anything. I added it to all sorts of things to boost my protein.

Flowers, if you aren't feeling any restriction after 2 fills then you don't have enough of a fill. The answer wouldn't be to not get any more. I had a prefill during surgery and have had 5 more since. I got very little restriction in my first 2 fills after surgery. I got a little more with each one. And as I lose weight I need more fills as the band loosens up as I lose the fat pad between the band and stoma. Some docs seem more aggressive than others with fills, but hang in there.

Chicks, each time I've gotten a fill I worry it will be too tight. So far, knock on wood, it hasn't happened. I'm at 10.5 in a 14cc band. I may get a small tweak the week before Thanksgiving when I go in next as it's starting to loosen up, but has been perfect! So I am a little unsure if I will or not.

I have a whopper of a cold and feel like crap. I also can't eat much. I remember mention in one of the lap band classes about when you have a cold or flu and there being drainage some folks need an unfill. Anyone hear of that? I'm not sure I am there but can eat very little. For dinner I had half a hamburger patty (they were large) and was very full. I hope this passes soon. I'm also worried about it settling in my chest and getting a horrible cough. Afraid that coughing hard would dislodge something.

Very good observations on fills/restriction, Long! Hope you get over that cold soon. I haven't ever heard of anyone having to get an unfill because of a cold. Get some cough suppressant for the cough. But I don't think you can cough hard enough to disslodge anything! Band is usually stitched in place with a couple of stitches.

Just dont' cough up a lung! You'll be okay soon! :rolleyes2: