Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Long...sounds like you have it all figured out with your ladies that are coming over tonight. Try not to completely ignore "the one" but do not go out of your way to cater to you. Let them think what they want, say what they want, act the way they want. The way I figure it is: if a friend is a true friend, they are there with you all the way through your struggle. They should not even make you doubt that they are supporting you. Envy? I'd bet on that. We all change as we go along this journey. Hopefully for the better (better health, better feelings about ourselves, etc.).

Hold your head up high tonight. Be a gracious host...but most of all. Do not let her see that she is in any way getting to you. You have worked hard. You deserve the respect that is coming to you. Good luck tonight.

You so wonderful. I am so grateful to have found this group of gals that can help and support one through this journey. I will do just as you say. I've wasted too much energy the past 2 days on what if's and rereading the emails, going over the conversation to see what I did wrong. It's so not worth it because stuff she said had nothing to do with the email. She had an issue and I took the brunt of it. The way I see it (as does hubby and a friend) she should've apologized to me for jumping to wrong conclusions. But that's okay, life is too short. Hopefully this band journey will get easier as I deal with the emotions and head issues. That's been the toughest part. I've always stuffed them down with food before. I have 3 hours til they come! I will post tomorrow and let you know how tonight and the morning went.

Long...sounds like you have it all figured out with your ladies that are coming over tonight. Try not to completely ignore "the one" but do not go out of your way to cater to you. Let them think what they want, say what they want, act the way they want. The way I figure it is: if a friend is a true friend, they are there with you all the way through your struggle. They should not even make you doubt that they are supporting you. Envy? I'd bet on that. We all change as we go along this journey. Hopefully for the better (better health, better feelings about ourselves, etc.).

Hold your head up high tonight. Be a gracious host...but most of all. Do not let her see that she is in any way getting to you. You have worked hard. You deserve the respect that is coming to you. Good luck tonight.

Ditto what she said! I think it is a real shame that people behave like this. Unfortunately, it seems women are really prone to envy - but I guess the men are too, they probably just express it differently. I hope everything goes well for you tonight - and tomorrow. Remember that everyone has choices - you have made a choice for you and it is working out very well. Your friends have options, too. They just have to act on them. If they are not willing to research them, act on them, and improve their lives, you are certainly not responsible for their choice. Be as supportive as you can, be confident, and enjoy yourself. You deserve all the good stuff, girl!

I also (even though I was a late comer to this thread) feel very fortunate to have found everyone here. I feel like I am at home. I kind of bounced around for awhile till I found my spot.

You will get there with the head thing, Long. The big rug was yanked out from under all. No food to rely on when times get tough. I could forget about anything as long as I had a big (huge) bowl of popcorn in front of me. It does get better and you know it will.

I have gone through things with friends. Some of them are sitting by the wayside till they come around. Most had to do with them not understanding why I did the band. Why I could not just do it on my own. The way I see it is that they have been my friends long enough and saw me struggle year after year, diet after diet. I just don't want to take the time or waste my precious time trying to make THEM feel better about MY decision...the best decision I have ever made.

When I am stressed and upset and miss my food there is something I say to myself and it seems to work..."There's no turning back. Life changes that came with this band are way too good".

I also (even though I was a late comer to this thread) feel very fortunate to have found everyone here. I feel like I am at home. I kind of bounced around for awhile till I found my spot.

You will get there with the head thing, Long. The big rug was yanked out from under all. No food to rely on when times get tough. I could forget about anything as long as I had a big (huge) bowl of popcorn in front of me. It does get better and you know it will.

I have gone through things with friends. Some of them are sitting by the wayside till they come around. Most had to do with them not understanding why I did the band. Why I could not just do it on my own. The way I see it is that they have been my friends long enough and saw me struggle year after year, diet after diet. I just don't want to take the time or waste my precious time trying to make THEM feel better about MY decision...the best decision I have ever made.

When I am stressed and upset and miss my food there is something I say to myself and it seems to work..."There's no turning back. Life changes that came with this band are way too good".

I love that quote!! I may have to steal it. A big bowl of hot buttery popcorn popped the old fashioned way on the stove was my go to food when I was trying to forget something. These gals coming tonight have no idea I have had surgery, odd they are the only folks in my life to never mention my weight loss or how I did it (except for one). And the way they are I just haven't felt like telling them out of the blue, oh by the way I have a lapband.

I have gotten to the point that I love my Orville R. 100 cal. popcorn just as much as I did the other. I look forward to it when I am doing my night crosswords. It's the only snack that I allow myself. If it were up to my doc, he would eliminate that because he says no Snacks. I do have SF popsicles and SF Jello once in awhile also.

Don't worry about not telling some people you are banded. You tell who you are comfortable with telling and after the attitude you tell us some are portraying, I don't think they have earned the right to know.

I justify my LF popcorn as an aid to regularity. :-)

Well, Orea...I would have to aid my regularity by sprinkling my Murilax on the popcorn!!!!!!!!!!!!:w00t:

Well girls, good ole buttered popcorn on the stove was the only thing I would never ever give up on any diet that I was ever on. Even on WW I allowed extra points once a week for buttered popcorn. I didnt miss it so far with this lap band UNTIL........ the cold weather hit. I think about it alot but haven't had that yet but it sure does sound good. I would rather have popcorn any day over sweets!!!!!! Apples, no I am not from MN but grand dad lived there many years. He loved the cold weather and man does it get cold up there!!!. Plus it is beautiful!. Today was a good day for me. I walked and ate well but this evening made baked Tilapia, fresh cauliflower and salad, could not get it down. I don't understand. I was starving tonight also so I think I ate too fast. Got about 3 oz of fish down before it got stuck. It finally went down so then I ate sf pudding and some mandarin oranges. My good news for today is I hit the big 45 lbs. I am thrilled about that. Talk with you girls later.

Beckyo:thumbup::w00t::thumbup:

I have gotten to the point that I love my Orville R. 100 cal. popcorn just as much as I did the other. I look forward to it when I am doing my night crosswords. It's the only snack that I allow myself. If it were up to my doc, he would eliminate that because he says no Snacks. I do have SF popsicles and SF Jello once in awhile also.

Don't worry about not telling some people you are banded. You tell who you are comfortable with telling and after the attitude you tell us some are portraying, I don't think they have earned the right to know.

I love my 100 calorie snack packs of popcorn - They don't make the WW butter spray any more - so I spray mine with the butter pam stuff..

Well girls, good ole buttered popcorn on the stove was the only thing I would never ever give up on any diet that I was ever on. Even on WW I allowed extra points once a week for buttered popcorn. I didnt miss it so far with this lap band UNTIL........ the cold weather hit. I think about it alot but haven't had that yet but it sure does sound good. I would rather have popcorn any day over sweets!!!!!! Apples, no I am not from MN but grand dad lived there many years. He loved the cold weather and man does it get cold up there!!!. Plus it is beautiful!. Today was a good day for me. I walked and ate well but this evening made baked Tilapia, fresh cauliflower and salad, could not get it down. I don't understand. I was starving tonight also so I think I ate too fast. Got about 3 oz of fish down before it got stuck. It finally went down so then I ate sf pudding and some mandarin oranges. My good news for today is I hit the big 45 lbs. I am thrilled about that. Talk with you girls later.

Beckyo:thumbup::w00t::thumbup:

Becky

Congrats on your 45 lbs:thumbup:

Yep it you eat too fast it will happen every time - at least it does for me - 3 bites eaten too fast will ruin your dinner..

janet, it's so good to see you back. I know nothing we can say can take away your pain but we are all here for you!

Yummmm....Popcorn! I thought it was interesting, bochs, that you mentioned you were doing fine until the cold weather hit. I too have been struggling this week. Not only does popcorn sound delicious, but I've been craving butterfingers and milky ways -- because it's almost Halloween, and we ALWAYS eat them this time of year. I really believe that part of my primal instincts kick in this time of year. Could it be fattening up for the winter? Because I feel compelled to bake more, make roasts, stock up on sweets, etc. It's REALLY hard all the sudden to not eat this stuff! It's been a struggle - and this past week I have figured in chocolate candy to my daily calorie count. I know I shouldn't - but last night, the only thing I could think of was eating two 'fun-size' milky ways that I had for the trick or treaters that will come tomorrow. 150 cals. Thank goodness after tomorrow the stuff will go away. But that won't help me with the holiday foods and seasonal things I just want to make -- and eat! I just hope the snow and ice doesn't come too soon so I can keep up walking those calories off. Once the roads are bad and snow high, I just want to curl up on the couch and stay warm. And yes, I miss my insulating fat layer this year - I've NEVER been a 'always cold' person - but that sure has changed. I used to rarely wear a winter coat - all winter & only in the bitterest cold weather - and never a hat. Now, I already need my hat and warmest mittens to work to work on these chillyl mornings. That is a big change for me.

However ... I don't want my insulating fat layer back!! :-) I'll just buy warmer stuff!

POPCORN - I went to the movies the other night and it was free popcorn night. I haven't had popcorn in ages. So I figured I would go for it. Well, I paid the next day. As for my regularity, UGH.. I think as much as I like popcorn I will have to pass on it..but the movies was great. I saw the Duchess.

And for eating too fast. I had 3 bites of very moist flounder the other night and was in agony for an hour. I didn't think I ate it too fast, but I must have,. I tried walking around my house to try and help relieve the discomfort without much relief. Later that night I relaxed with some Healthwise hot chocolate and that was great!!!!

My restriction now is great, as my Doctor said I am now in the zone. but not losing any weight and that is still frustrating! :)

Wow, Lizalee, Look at you go on that weight loss. A huge congrats. You must be so proud of yourself.

I understand the insulation layer thing. You most likely have been having similar weather to us in MN. We've had a chilly fall. Sounds like today will be up near 70. Hard to know what to wear. Wear a sweater in the morning and a Tshirt in the afternoon.

Hi--I am new to this lap band but I am definately over 50. I had my band installed on October 8, 2008. For over 10 years I wanted weight loss surgery and it wasn't until I hired a service to dance me through the insurance hoops that I was able to achieve it. They are supposed to pay 100% of the bills. It's still too early to tell on that.

I have always been a person that all I had to say to my body is diet and I would catch a cold or bad case of the flu. I am amazed it hasn't happened before this. I was on 5 weeks of Liquid Protein only prior to surgery. A full week of Clear Liquids after surgery and am now on soft foods. I always get the flu shot every year but this year I had to pass because they didn't want me having it two weeks before surgery and I passed on it right after surgery because I always come down with a mild form of it.

So I babysat my twin grandaughters last week and later found out they were sick. I caught a bad cold that causes me to croup and sneeze just awful. I have had it for 5 days now and no sign of let up. I am very worried that I might rip the new healing loose and move the band since it has been only 2 1/2 weeks since I had surgery. My first fill will be in two weeks, 100 miles from where I live. I don't want to call my surgeon about my cold because I don't want to drive that far. My primary care doctor just wants to pass the buck to the surgeon so that would be a waste of time going to him.

Any thoughts of what I should do and if at 3 weeks out are we allowed cough and cold medicine? I am not supposed to have asprin or blood thinners for 3 more weeks yet.

Hi--I am new to this lap band but I am definately over 50. I had my band installed on October 8, 2008. For over 10 years I wanted weight loss surgery and it wasn't until I hired a service to dance me through the insurance hoops that I was able to achieve it. They are supposed to pay 100% of the bills. It's still too early to tell on that.

I have always been a person that all I had to say to my body is diet and I would catch a cold or bad case of the flu. I am amazed it hasn't happened before this. I was on 5 weeks of Liquid Protein only prior to surgery. A full week of Clear Liquids after surgery and am now on soft foods. I always get the flu shot every year but this year I had to pass because they didn't want me having it two weeks before surgery and I passed on it right after surgery because I always come down with a mild form of it.

So I babysat my twin grandaughters last week and later found out they were sick. I caught a bad cold that causes me to croup and sneeze just awful. I have had it for 5 days now and no sign of let up. I am very worried that I might rip the new healing loose and move the band since it has been only 2 1/2 weeks since I had surgery. My first fill will be in two weeks, 100 miles from where I live. I don't want to call my surgeon about my cold because I don't want to drive that far. My primary care doctor just wants to pass the buck to the surgeon so that would be a waste of time going to him.

Any thoughts of what I should do and if at 3 weeks out are we allowed cough and cold medicine? I am not supposed to have asprin or blood thinners for 3 more weeks yet.

Toosy...I would definitely call my surgeon to let him know what is going on. He will most likely tell you to take some form of liquid (Tylenol) cold meds to cut down on the coughing, etc. Hope you feel better soon and welcome to the board