Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hello Everyone! I have been reading some of the posts for this thread and you all seem like such wonderful people. I would like to join your discussions if you wouldn't mind. I am scheduled for surgery on Nov. 10 and start my preop diet next week. I live on Long Island, New York. I am very excited and so nervous.

I want to offer my condolences to IndioGirl55 - Janet. I am so very sorry for your loss. It is my hope that, with time, the pain is overpowered by wonderful and cherished memories.

Hi All--

I'm just dropping in for a fast hello. I'm in a very busy place with work and and a bit annoyed because I'm not getting time to be online or exercise. I just got back from D.C. and now I have to leave for Philly. I hope to be back on track by mid-Nov.

Janet---I'm so happy to see you back online. We continue to think of you and hold you in our hearts.

Hi All--

I'm just dropping in for a fast hello. I'm in a very busy place with work and and a bit annoyed because I'm not getting time to be online or exercise. I just got back from D.C. and now I have to leave for Philly. I hope to be back on track by mid-Nov.

Janet---I'm so happy to see you back online. We continue to think of you and hold you in our hearts.

Hello Everyone! I have been reading some of the posts for this thread and you all seem like such wonderful people. I would like to join your discussions if you wouldn't mind. I am scheduled for surgery on Nov. 10 and start my preop diet next week. I live on Long Island, New York. I am very excited and so nervous.

I want to offer my condolences to IndioGirl55 - Janet. I am so very sorry for your loss. It is my hope that, with time, the pain is overpowered by wonderful and cherished memories.[/quote

Hi Lcubed,

Welcome. Not long till Nov 10th.

I was banded on 9th June '08. I was telling my Grandaughter today how much weight I've lost = 31 kilos = 68 3/4 lbs. She said "Grandma, you've lost a whole little person like me because that's exactly what I weigh!"

My daughter showed me some photos taken at my birthday 2 years ago (I'd never seen them) and I was horrified. I knew I was big but I honestly did not think that I was THAT big. So huge and a neck on me like a toadfrog. This is the best thing I've ever done for myself.

I'm sure you'll feel the same way in no time.

Best wishes.:thumbup:

I just saw a picture taken of me before surgery. Oh, my God. I am shocked. I know I was big, but the picture is a solid piece of evidence of how much I weighted. Now I need a picture taken for my current size. I still have 3o# to go, but feel so much better and think I look "fantastic". :thumbup:

Once I get a new picture I'll post the before and after..

I want to offer my condolences to IndioGirl55 - Janet. I am so very sorry for your loss. It is my hope that, with time, the pain is overpowered by wonderful and cherished memories.[/quote

Hi Lcubed,

Welcome. Not long till Nov 10th.

I was banded on 9th June '08. I was telling my Grandaughter today how much weight I've lost = 31 kilos = 68 3/4 lbs. She said "Grandma, you've lost a whole little person like me because that's exactly what I weigh!"

My daughter showed me some photos taken at my birthday 2 years ago (I'd never seen them) and I was horrified. I knew I was big but I honestly did not think that I was THAT big. So huge and a neck on me like a toadfrog. This is the best thing I've ever done for myself.

I'm sure you'll feel the same way in no time.

Best wishes.:thumbup:

Hi Katydid! Thank you for the welcome and for responding to me. I appreciate it. Wow! 69 pounds since June is incredible. You are doing so greyt! I hope to be where you are soon. Thank you for the encouragement. I have my educational meeting tomorrow afternoon so I am thinking of as many questions as possible.

Where has everyone been? It sure has been quiet here! Usually it is over the weekend but it's still happening. I did realize I wasn't getting the email notifications of new posts like normal so that was part of it, but I didn't have much to read to catch up.

Things going well here. I usually go to my bariatric exercize class on Monday nights but am not going tonight. They are having a guest speaker, a dietician, and while I am sure she is good, that's not what I go there for so am saving my $15. But so far have not worked out on my own today. :thumbup:

Where has everyone been? It sure has been quiet here! Usually it is over the weekend but it's still happening. I did realize I wasn't getting the email notifications of new posts like normal so that was part of it, but I didn't have much to read to catch up.

Things going well here. I usually go to my bariatric exercize class on Monday nights but am not going tonight. They are having a guest speaker, a dietician, and while I am sure she is good, that's not what I go there for so am saving my $15. But so far have not worked out on my own today. :thumbup:

It sure has been quiet. I am glad to not have too many posts to read when I get online, but do miss everyone's comments, successes and questions.

I am still VERY restricted, last fill was 9/19. sometimes only a few bites and I am full, but still hungry!!! Even the usual slider foods can be a problem.. I saw my surgeon last week and she said everything was ok.. so I guess this may be my sweet spot or I am in the ZONE as my DR says.

Hope everyone is ok, just busy.:)

Hi all tonight (Monday). I haven't posted on the 50's thread for a while but I am back. Glad to hear that everyone is moving down on the scale. I am also but Janet was trying to help me change my ticker and I can't get it to work but I am now down 44 lbs. EEE HAA! I am thrilled. With the Holidays coming, I hope my next fill even cuts my eating down a little more. I have been pretty good so far and walking 2.4 miles every day. On Sunday we celebrated my daughters 24th bd. I made swiss steak, mashed potatoes, cream corn and salad. Butter cake for desert. Well I did very well on the meal but later on that night I had a sliver of butter cake. That was my first real sugar since being banded on June 18th. It was good but once you get away from real sugar, it was sickening sweet. It made be sick at my stomach. Even the taste of fresh fruit to me tastes extremely sweet. I had some grapes tonight and man did they taste extra sweet. I guess I have gotten away from that sweet taste. anyone else find that to be true? Talk with you all later.

Beckyo:thumbup::biggrin::thumbup:

Hi everybody.

It's so COLD out here in Wisconsin tonight - I've been doing so good walking 45 min each night - but tonight I only lasted 15 minutes. It's cold, windy, and so dark! I miss the ldayight until at least 7:30 pm, and mild temps in at least the 50's. By the time I get home from work and have supper, it's getting dark! Anyhow, I should be out walking and here I am sitting at the computer. I didn't see it, but I hear there were snow showers today, even down in Chicago land where my sons are. I'm not ready for this!

Some of you down in warmer climates...enjoy your mild weather!! I'm jealous! I've been resisting joining indoor exercise, but I might have to soon. :-( I'm a winter scrooge! (yes, the snow is pretty on Christmas, but that's about it!)

It sure has been quiet. I am glad to not have too many posts to read when I get online, but do miss everyone's comments, successes and questions.

I am still VERY restricted, last fill was 9/19. sometimes only a few bites and I am full, but still hungry!!! Even the usual slider foods can be a problem.. I saw my surgeon last week and she said everything was ok.. so I guess this may be my sweet spot or I am in the ZONE as my DR says.

Hope everyone is ok, just busy.:biggrin:

I'm very similar. I had my last fill on 9/24 and have been really good since then, in fact lost 15 lbs since there. However, I have been noticing just in the past few days I can eat more. I go back in 3 weeks and if it continues that way, I may ask for a tweak. It feels so good to be as you say 'the sweet spot or in the Zone'.

Hi everybody.

It's so COLD out here in Wisconsin tonight - I've been doing so good walking 45 min each night - but tonight I only lasted 15 minutes. It's cold, windy, and so dark! I miss the ldayight until at least 7:30 pm, and mild temps in at least the 50's. By the time I get home from work and have supper, it's getting dark! Anyhow, I should be out walking and here I am sitting at the computer. I didn't see it, but I hear there were snow showers today, even down in Chicago land where my sons are. I'm not ready for this!

Some of you down in warmer climates...enjoy your mild weather!! I'm jealous! I've been resisting joining indoor exercise, but I might have to soon. :-( I'm a winter scrooge! (yes, the snow is pretty on Christmas, but that's about it!)

Oh yes those Wisconsin winters. I remember them well though haven't lived in Wisconsin since I was a kid. We get cold here in Denver but if we do, it doesn't last long, we can be 70 one day and freakin' cold the next and back again. I do enjoy the change in seasons though, but am wondering:

With the weight loss aka fat loss, is that why I am less tolerant to cold already this fall? I mean is it true that you lose your insulation. I am already sitting around in the evenings in a blanket shivering and am trying to resist turning the heat above 70 as I don't want outrageous bills this winter.

We had snow here in MN yesterday. 2.5 inches. Met another couple for dinner and on our way there we could see where a couple of cars slid into the ditch. Too early for that stuff.

I, too, have lost my insulation but just dress warmer. Bought some Woolrich vests that I wear around home to keep me warm. But then the hotflashes hit and I throw it off. I'd rather be too cool than too warm.

You are right, Long. This thread has been very slow and we are missing some of our key people. Hope everyone is back and talking soon. I surely miss Janet. We have heard nothing from CathyChatts for quite some time. I miss her. Also, missing JoAnnMarie. Where the heck are you, lady??????????????????

Had a good day. Volunteered at the hospital. Helped DH fuel up machinery in field, gave rides to different fields, etc. Sitting here waiting for the other half of the guys to come and eat. Could be a few hours. That's life on the farm!

I have been in a bit of a panic the last week. Upping my calories and hoping to find the right amount I need for maintenance. My doc says 1/2 cup 3xdaily without Snacks. Well, that's just not going to work for me. Cannot get enough calories in with those small meals. Trying to incorporate 2 high Protein snacks a day that stay within the 1/2 cup portion. I guess this is my body and cannot see what it can hurt to throw a healthy snack or two in to get the caloric intake I need. Now, if I start to really gain, I will back off on the snacks. Never worried too much while I was losing but I really worry now about maintaining. Weird, huh? I will figure it out but know it will take some time.

Hope everyone had a good day and wishing you a great evening!

Hi All - I've been around, just lurking for a change. Imagine me with nothing to say...

Today/tonight the cold has hit northern Missouri, too. Not the snow, thank goodness, but we'll have our first hard freeze tonight. By Wed the temps will be up in the 60's again for a few days, so I guess winter has not set in quite yet. Apples, I well remember the Minnesota winters. In these parts it freezes then thaws, freezes then thaws, a lot of ice but not much snow; seems like winter is just one long slush. We also don't have a lot of native evergreens in our woods. I miss that deep green color in the winter - woods around here are brown and gray and that gets a little old by January's end. By then we are anxiously awaiting the first redbuds. Our fall colors are still beautiful for another week or so - I am enjoying that.

I have 37 days to go as of tomorrow morning. Time is flying by. It's going to fly by anyway - I might as well have something to look forward to!