Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Makes sense to me Apples. I wonder about too tight everytime I've gotten a fill but so far it hasn't happened. I have just told them how I'm feeling and they have determined what I needed. I have had great restriction but the past week or so have started noticing more hunger and bigger portion sizes. I have an appt mid Nov. going to give it a few days to see how I am and if I want to move that up.

Question: I need to have a pelvic ultrasound on Tues. it's just a routine one,but they want to see my ovaries since I still have them after my hysterectomy. Anyway, I have to drink 40 oz of Water 90 min. prior. How am i going to be able to do this? And if I can't will they still be able to do the u/s? I thought of starting much earlier than 90 min and then just not going to the bathroom but not sure if that will serve the purpose of all the water or not? Anyone know??

Long...I have had a few pelvic ultrasounds and they just told me to come in with a full bladder. I'm not sure if I could get down that much liquid anymore, especially with the band. I think I would make a call to my band dr. and ask him the question just to be sure.

One thing I have noticed since being banded is that my general practitioner has no clue about anything to do with the band. If I mention anything about it he sits there with the blankest look on his face. I do know that in the future I will always check with my band dr. b/4 any questionable treatment.

Makes sense to me Apples. I wonder about too tight everytime I've gotten a fill but so far it hasn't happened. I have just told them how I'm feeling and they have determined what I needed. I have had great restriction but the past week or so have started noticing more hunger and bigger portion sizes. I have an appt mid Nov. going to give it a few days to see how I am and if I want to move that up.

Question: I need to have a pelvic ultrasound on Tues. it's just a routine one,but they want to see my ovaries since I still have them after my hysterectomy. Anyway, I have to drink 40 oz of Water 90 min. prior. How am i going to be able to do this? And if I can't will they still be able to do the u/s? I thought of starting much earlier than 90 min and then just not going to the bathroom but not sure if that will serve the purpose of all the Water or not? Anyone know??

I have had several Pelvic ultrasounds. I drink a bottle of water on the way there and start on another when I get there. I never drank 40ozs and usually one bottle is enough. Don't go to the bathroom before the test or you will have to drink all over again. The test does not take long. I always warn them that my bladder is over 50 and they better hurry.:biggrin::lol::biggrin:

PS - i spoke to the usrgeon about Tummy Tuck, butt lift and thighs, total for all 3 procedures was just under $16,000. but I am fairly sure my insurance will pay for the basic tummy tuck, the fees include all hospital, anesthesia, and doctor fees. As well as 1 year follow up. I know it is a step rpice, but am going to weigh all my options, ee what I look like come my 1 year bandaversary and move ahead from there. Tinme will tel what I decide to do..

Not happy with my progress at the moment.

I've asked this question on another thread but I think I need answers from some about my age.

I'm needing some insight from those that have been doing this longer than I have.

Does the weight loss usually just stop for a while? Do you just slowly loose weight from that point on as your body adjusts?

I live about 3 hours from my doctor and anyone that has been on this journey. The INTERNET is my only help with questions.

The Doctors office isn't helpful..just come in but that costs money..I really just need some advice that isn't read from a brochure.

My Dr. dismissed me at the 1 year mark and set up my next appt. for 6 months later. My 18 mo.. mark will be next Tuesday.

Anyone check in at the 18 month mark and what was your outcome?

I have struggled with the same 5 pounds since April. No more loss. I feel wonderful but still not in wonderland.

I can't seem to break that yo yo with those pounds and get back into that wonderful loosing mode where it was just sooo easy.

I know I pick...can't eat a lot at a sitting unless I haven't eaten much during the day. But if I've pb'ed I'm hungry and just eat a little here and there. I've journaled but can't get a number since I do pb..soooo I don't know how many calories I really take in.

I haven't broken myself of the eating too fast and not chewing well enough.

Any advice or motivational encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

For those that have continued to loose steadily what is your secret?

Great Success to all!

Hi there, I am 15 mos. post surgery and I too am stuck at the mid-way point. But I know what my problem is. I keep eating bad stuff. I go a week or two counting my calories then I go Ummmm... "chocolate" and I go hog wild... I tetter back and forth the same 3 lbs. its driving me nuts. I want the COMMITTMENT that I had when I was first banded. Ya know like when I knew that $16k was a TON of money and I was going to do everything in my power to get this weight off for the last time!!!

Well, the motivation seems to be gone and I just can't seem to get it back.

I feel for you being so far away from your doc and any support group. We live in a rural area...I'm only 15 miles from my doc so I feel fortunate and to have my support group is another plus. Just try to make an effort every day to check in on the board with your questions and concerns. Make this thread your base. There's always someone that has been through something similar and can support you.

BTW....Good Sunday morning to all of my friends here. Hope you are all having a good day. I am working...Grrrrrrr. My volunteer jobs are getting in the way of my real job. At the present time I am learning the new volunteer jobs and they will not take up as much time in the future so I can handle it. My husband is working today anyway so like to stay busy. DH is a true workaholic but just gotta love him!

Struggling with figuring out what my caloric intake should be to maintain now that I am at goal. I dreaded this for months. Sounds funny? I am going to just take this next two weeks and experiment. I bumped my calories up quite a bit and will see where I sit on the scale after that point. Did not help that a tummy bug was passed around the farm this week. No vomiting but a real sour tummy any time I ate. Dropped 5# and did not in any way want to. Going to eat some pumpkin ice cream once a day besides my other calories to see if it will go back on. Doc does not do fills on anyone under goal and don't want to have to struggle with hunger in the future.

I find that my band is quite fickle. Five days that are really good and two days of hunger. That tells me I should have a small fill. But, I am willing to go until my 11/04 appt. to see what happens. I have a feeling most bandsters have the same problem. Kind of sitting at an OK place with restriction but a little unsure of fills because being too tight is worse than being hungry once in awhile. Am I making sense?????????? (I've been known not to!)

You all have a great day!!:biggrin:

Congratulations on reaching your goal !! :biggrin:

Congratulations on reaching your goal !! :biggrin:

Thanks...feels good but know that I will still have to be very careful for years to come to stay where I want to be.

I am going to try my best to do really good this week. This Sat is my birthday and no doubt I will be having chocolate cake and who knows what else fattening for dinner that night.

I have really been struggling with sweet addictions. I need a fill but I am afraid to get one with the way I sometimes throw up in my sleep.

16K was a ton of money and I paid the same self pay as you did.

WE CAN get back the motivation...if WE WANT it bad enough. That was the key when we started this journey.

I am now lazy and don't try as hard.

We CAN do this. BUT..we have to WANT it BAD like we did before.

You with Me? I'm tired of this and wanting to change..!!!

This is truly a problem for me. I am a retail Women's store owner - small shop - chief cook and bottle washer, actively in church, struggling in this economic times, absolutely no will power, creative and impulsive and if I have anything (like sushi) more than 3 days in a row, I'm addicted. I need help controlling myself, limiting portions and being consistent. I can't tell just how much Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem would cost or if I can afford them right now. Has anyone lost weight from the grocers freezer foods? Does anyone have any suggestions? Hell, if I could lose 30-40 that quick, I probably wouldn't need to go this route?:biggrin:

My LB surgeon advises waiting a year or more b/4 TT, etc. States the reason is that things can fall into place in that time period and maybe the patient would be more satisfied and not feel the need to go through the surgery. We work so hard at getting this weight off. I know most of us don't for strive for perfection...we just want to be able to pull up our slacks and not have a hanging bulge. I guess my point is that each of us has to decide at a certain point what the trade off is. The surgery that can be painful, expensive and put our life on hold for awhile or are we satisfied (if only somewhat) with the outcome without PS.

There's so many factors that come into play. About midway through my weight loss my belly looked like melting butter. I told one of my good friends that no matter what, if it looked like that at the end of this weight loss journey, I would definitely get a TT.

If we get to goal and look pretty good in our clothes, can a person accept that? The way I see it with my jiggly thighs...I just cannot go through another surgery after all that I have had (especially elective surgery). Been married for 29 yrs and my husband says he loves every part of me. I guess the only time those thighs would be out in public is in a bathing suit. Think I am going to just buy me a pair of boy shorts to go with my bathing suit top.

But, I do admire people that recognize the need for PS and that it will make their journey complete.

Apples: Do you have a link or can you share some info on the pre-opt diet you used. I'd like to start on something attainable well before I have my surgery -- sounds like you're the right person to ask. Congrats on your success. I too am really concerned about arm and belly flab, but i guess I'll take it one crisis at a time.

This is truly a problem for me. I am a retail Women's store owner - small shop - chief cook and bottle washer, actively in church, struggling in this economic times, absolutely no will power, creative and impulsive and if I have anything (like sushi) more than 3 days in a row, I'm addicted. I need help controlling myself, limiting portions and being consistent. I can't tell just how much Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem would cost or if I can afford them right now. Has anyone lost weight from the grocers freezer foods? Does anyone have any suggestions? Hell, if I could lose 30-40 that quick, I probably wouldn't need to go this route?:biggrin:

Hi winsprettywoman,

I understand your feelings exactly. Before my banding I couldn't find the STOP button on anything, food or drink. I was an emotional eater. Maybe you could try what I did for quitting smoking 40 per day. I decided NO MORE!! Everytime I craved, I would take a deep breath of fresh air, count to ten and slowly sip a glass of Water. If I was at home, I'd get a good book to read or a difficult pattern to knit so that I'd have to concentrate hard. The brain wanted the cigarettes just like the food but I knew it was my health or else. It's been 12 years now and I can't stand the smell of cigarettes. Just a thought that may help.

Best wishes.

Another 2.2 lbs GONE forever!!!! Total weight loss is now 69.6 lbs!!! Go Looosssiiieee...Go Looosssiiieee...Go Go Go Looosssiiieee!!!

:thumbup: Hi fellow Nifty 50's! My surgery was 9/19. I had my first fill last Thursday. Does anyone else find the fill a little creepy? Seems like the dr had to poke on my tummy quite a bit to find the center of the port for the fill. By the time he was finished, I was light-headed and nauseous. Anyone else have a similar experience or am I just being a wuss?:biggrin: