Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for low carb ideas. What’s your favorite?

Okay. If left to my own devices I basically eat like a child. In terms of health food I really only like chicken breast and mahi fish and i don’t love either of those. I also tend to like mostly higher carb veggies and higher sugar fruits. Lucky me, right?. Anyways, the only common veggies I seem to hate are Brussels sprouts and mushrooms and I like most of the typical fruits but I still need to manage to stay low-ish with the carbs. Three years ago post sleeve I ate grilled chicken or grilled fish with a veggie every single night. Just those two Proteins on the grill with a couple basic spices and veggies and it got SOOOO boring that of course I didn’t stick to it.

What I need is some recipe ideas that add variety to my low carb diet so I have better luck sticking with it this time around. I am going to get a cook book once I speak with my dietician (who I just left a second message with) if there is one that’s appropriate for SADI but I just hoped others would share their favorite recipes to get me started. last night my husband made me a fajita wrap with grilled chicken, sited peppers and onion and just a bit of reduced fat cheese and a low carb wrap and I thought to myself if I had more options like that I think I can do this.

I am thinking I probably need to branch out to cuisines other than my typical American, Mexican, and Italian but I may need a little nudge. I am currently looking for a Mexican recipe with caluliflower rice. And I’m wondering if cauliflower pizza is a good option for once in a while and if so is the frozen one okay. I think my store has one by California kitchen. It’s 29g of carbs so I would have to be an angel the rest of the day but is there a better option? Also, I don’t hate the zucchini noodles or the spaghetti squash but I feel like that needs a really good sauce or something to make up for what’s missing. Any suggestions for sauces?

Since posting this I have been searching for recipe ideas online as well. A lot if the low carb seem to be much higher In fat. I guess we have to sift through to those that focus on Protein. There is a website called Delish that has a lot of pictures that are making my mouth Water but it’s a paid site and doesn’t even let you see the macros without paying. Assuming they even post the macros.

My partner does Keto (very successfully) and has for years. He stays a mile away from processed foods that purport to be keto friendly. Ditching those allows for much more leeway with your carb goal. Cook everything from scratch and you will honestly never go wrong.

In the immediate post WLS period it's hard to do full keto, or full any eating plan. Once you progress through the stages you can have whatever Protein you like or can tolerate (and bear in mind that might change after your second procedure so don't be afraid to experiment!) plus green leafy veg/salad/mushrooms/cauli/broccoli/celeriac/whatever and smaller quantities of other veg (should not be a problem for you as all quantities are small quantities post WLS)!

Cauli rice is fab with loads of meals. Sauce wise my partner eats bolognese/ragu - just no Pasta. Curry - just no rice. Casseroles with no carbs and limited veg. I add the juices of meat or fish to the final protein part of the dinner and sometimes dress that up with a little cream or spice paste.

Posted (edited)

I’m replying to myself so others who are interested in the same topic can learn what I have found. Crustless Quiche low carb and it is EASY to make without a crust. It’s just scrambled eggs in a pan. I just popped some in the oven from a low carb cookbook with broccoli and cheddar. I am not certain whether the one cup of cheese is too much for 8 servings but that can be adjusted I think. The servings are bariatric size. It uses a muffin tin. Anyways, I have been buying quiche for years and now that I know it’s so easy I can control what I put in it. If I’m the only one who didn’t realize this just ignore me. But I’m excited. 😂

Edited by ShoppGirl

Posted (edited)

On 3/25/2024 at 6:56 PM, Spinoza said:

My partner does Keto (very successfully) and has for years. He stays a mile away from processed foods that purport to be Keto friendly. Ditching those allows for much more leeway with your carb goal. Cook everything from scratch and you will honestly never go wrong.

In the immediate post WLS period it's hard to do full keto, or full any eating plan. Once you progress through the stages you can have whatever Protein you like or can tolerate (and bear in mind that might change after your second procedure so don't be afraid to experiment!) plus green leafy veg/salad/mushrooms/cauli/broccoli/celeriac/whatever and smaller quantities of other veg (should not be a problem for you as all quantities are small quantities post WLS)!

Cauli rice is fab with loads of meals. Sauce wise my partner eats bolognese/ragu - just no Pasta. Curry - just no rice. Casseroles with no carbs and limited veg. I add the juices of meat or fish to the final Protein part of the dinner and sometimes dress that up with a little cream or spice paste.

I went and bought cauli rice and zucchini spirals today and tried the rice again tonight. I’ve had it before but just remembered it not really having a flavor. Same thing this time but I added more sauce to my meal and it wasn’t bad. I had it with Italian sausage and peppers from the factor meals I ordered that are low calories not but low carb. I tossed the red potatoes and subbed in the cauli rice. If that’s what they are talking about when they say low carb, I think I can do it. dinner was a hit. I added it to my list of things to try to make myself to add variety. I just need to find a low carb marinara sauce I’m guessing. Raos makes one that 6g carb. I added that to my cart with the Italian sausages to try to make that meal myself later this week. I am also going to pick up a spaghetti squash and the ragu bolognese sauce @Spinoza suggested at publix because they sell it already halved and I find that difficult to do. PS, I am not a big cook historically so fingers crossed it works out for me. Question? Has anyone tried the Italian turkey sausage to cut some of the fat too.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Shakshuka (eggs poached/baked in Tomato paste) with onion, bell pepper and spices. Side with avocado and roasted chickpeas.

tuna salad with roasted veggies (carrot, eggplant, cauliflower) topped with nuts and olives.

Tofu scramble with mushrooms, onion, side with avocado and cherry tomatoes.