Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Excess body weight equals your starting weight minus your "ideal" body weight (not the highest weight in your healthy BMI range). You can calculate your ideal body weight here: https://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html

You get several slightly different calculations with this, plus a healthy BMI range (in my case, 114.6-154.9). For me, 3 out of 4 calculations tell me my ideal weight is 130, so I'll go with that. It should be noted, that is not my "goal" weight.

Keep in mind all of this is a guessing game, not an exact science.

9 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Interesting question. Some say it’s the weight you need to lose to put you at a healthy BMI. Some say it’s the weight they personally want to lose to put them in their happy weight zone - a weight that worked for them in the past or they think will work for them in the future.

Personally, I think of it simply as the weight you want to lose to get to your goal regardless of how you worked it out or chose it. Not as a sort of standardised amount of weight defined by someone else (surgeon, dietician, etc.) or statistical data. This (weight loss) is all about you & your experiences & no one else’s.

As you know not every one reaches their goal & statistically average weight loss with sleeve or bypass is about 65% of the weight you are to lose (based on BMI defined excess weight). And then there are those who find they’re happier at a weight that is more or less than the goal they initially chose. They all lost excess weight & are healthier for it.

I love that last part. That’s so true. I am looking at every way or calculating it and it boils down to the fact that losing only a percentage of that I am most likely not going to reach my “happy weight” however I will lose a large amount of weight and I will be healthier. That’s what matters most.

5 hours ago, EllieMayClampett said:

From what I know if you look at your BMI range, it is the top figure weight, say in my case, 78 kg. You now take your current weight, which when I started surgery was say 128 kg. Sorry I work in Metric but it works the same in imperial. 128-78 equals 50 kg. That 50 kg is my XS weight, so if mini gastric bypass has a predicted loss of 70 to 85% of the XS weight then it is 70% of 50 kg to 85% of 50 kg. I.e 35 to 59.5 kg is what I am expected to lose with the procedure.

When it comes right down to it from what I understand. If like me, you have been obese all your life. Then you will have thicker, heavier bones to support that weight, more skin to wraparound it and a larger heart to pump blood around your body, so that means no matter what the general BMI limit is it is not totally relevant and there has been some suggestions by bariatric surgeons that to aim for a BMI of 30.

BMI is intrinsically a flawed concept as it does not take into account, body muscle mass. You will know the example of the brick **** house musclebound New Zealand rugby player with no fat, looking like a crazy obese person on paper because they have a BMI of 45.
I am 52 this year, so I think I would be happy with something above the BMI range. Otherwise my skin will waft in the breeze! 🤣

I agree 100% that BMI is completely flawed. When I was young I did fit right in there but at around 25 I just started gaining and never stopped. I would love to get back to that perfect BMI but I just don’t see if Happening for me.

15 minutes ago, NickelChip said:

Excess body weight equals your starting weight minus your "ideal" body weight (not the highest weight in your healthy BMI range). You can calculate your ideal body weight here: https://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html

You get several slightly different calculations with this, plus a healthy BMI range (in my case, 114.6-154.9). For me, 3 out of 4 calculations tell me my ideal weight is 130, so I'll go with that. It should be noted, that is not my "goal" weight.

Keep in mind all of this is a guessing game, not an exact science.

I thought that there must be an actual formula out there somewhere since they were referring to this number in medical journals. I will baxe to ask my surgeon which one is the most commonly used (although they are all pretty close). I also noticed they are almost the middle of the bmi range.

I was 49 when I had my VSG, and 50 when I had my follow up plastic surgeries. Success can be had at any age! I’m 54 now and living a happy, healthy life at goal. I hike, swim, kayak, and have recently taken up cycling. Road biking first and have just started mountain biking. Life is good when you have the energy to live it!

Posted (edited)

"Otherwise my skin will waft in the breeze! 🤣" I am forever going to think of my post bariatric body as having sails...wafting in the breeze. I'll have to be careful in a strong wind storm unless I lower my rigging and trim my boom!

😂😋

Edited by BlondePatriotInCDA

I just turned 51 last Thursday, my surgery is in 2 weeks. I started the liquid diet unofficially last week , I make it to afternoon okay and then want something solid in my stomach- any suggestions? I drink over 132 ounces of Water each day, no caffeine or carbonation. I officially start my liquid diet tomorrow!

8 hours ago, Doing it!KH said:

I just turned 51 last Thursday, my surgery is in 2 weeks. I started the liquid diet unofficially last week , I make it to afternoon okay and then want something solid in my stomach- any suggestions? I drink over 132 ounces of Water each day, no caffeine or carbonation. I officially start my liquid diet tomorrow!

If you're allowed, I found heating up a serving of Tomato Soup with unflavored Protein Powder was much more satisfying for my dinner than a shake. Just check that the combined calories and carbs of the Soup plus the Protein is roughly in line with a Meal Replacement shake. I used the Tomato Basil from Pacific Foods with 2 scoops of Syntrax unflavored and it was right in line with a Bariatric Fusion meal replacement shake but with a hot and savory flavor instead of sweet/cold.

Hello,

I recently turned 60. I had VGS when I was 50. It served me very well. I maintained several years. But for "reasons" I am now scheduled for a conversion to a Gastric Bypass on April 4. My doctor says I am an "ideal" candidate. Age is just a number!

Good luck,

Elizabeth

Hi! I’m having revision from VSG to RNY in June. I’m 52, and had the sleeve almost 10 years ago. I did well with the sleeve as far as no complications, but I regained almost all of what I lost, so here I am now. I’m older, hopefully wiser, and my reasons are different this time around. Best wishes to you!

i was 46 when i had my surgery at a weight of 235 lbs (im 5'2").

it was easy peasy lemon squeezy, really. i had some of the regular issues come up, but nothing i couldn't handle with relative ease.

lost 120 lbs in 7 months, and settled into a weight of 115-ish lbs ever since.

i am 52 yrs old this year and i weighed 117.2 lbs this morning.

so yeah, age didn't seem to hinder me in any significant way.

i personally think the less you stress and realistically manage ur expectations as well as be flexible and deal things as they come (vs overthinking all the what ifs), the more successful and and peace u will be. change and new experiences await u, enjoy the ride!

❤️

Follow up: Surgery went well. Doctor was very pleased with it and my post-op. Tomorrow is the one week mark and I feel pretty good. Following the Protein and Water intake rules. Using a medicine cup to drink from so that I remember to sip helps a lot.

Anyway happy to report that surgery at 60 is going even better than it was at 50 so far!!

Surgery 12/14/23 RNY. I turned 51 ten days later. I will be 4 months post op 4/14. Doing well, had a stall and now my hair is thinning in spots. I’ve been exercising since I came home. Only issue is some constipation.. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I'm 52 years old and am scheduled for a RNY in 4 days. I am super nervous about post-op pain. It is so helpful to hear and read about all of these successful results. I have a hefty case of fibromyalgia, which intensifies the pain response. Do any of you have this complication as well?

Hi, I had gastric bypass. I didn’t really have a lot of pain. Just gas pains. Just follow their directions. I am not sure how bad you will hurt since you have Fibromyalgia. But, be ready to drop ALOT of weight. It’s the most awesome thing. Good luck and Congratulations