Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2024 Surgery Buddies?

2 minutes ago, LisaCaryl said:

I just ate the best thing. I felt like I was cheating, but I wasn't! If you are allowed to have Cream of Wheat, I would highly recommend making it with broth instead of Water. I don't like the stuff, but this was amazing! I don't eat meat, so I used vegetable broth. It was the best thing I've had in 4 days :)

Filing that advice away for next week. I'm not allowed to have it yet, but cream of wheat in on my post-op diet. I guess they don't want the carbs for the liver shrinking but it's okay after, or something. I already bought some and will welcome anything that isn't the same old stuff I've had for the past 10 days!

On 2/15/2024 at 1:24 PM, RonHall908 said:

Eight days after surgery, the only soreness I have now is directly on the incisions. The gas pains subsided by day 3 after surgery. I see my surgeon next week for the two week post op visit. Getting fluids in is no problem. I can get 70-80 oz down daily without issues. I can get 4 Protein Shakes in as well. Which is what my Dr. recommended for me. Though, I do feel full at times with broth and Protein shakes. I still feel like I need more, even though I take a Multivitamin and B-50 complex.

I'm ready for the next phase which is the puree' / soft food phase. I can start that in 5 days. I feel like I can do it now, but I'm not going to get ahead of myself and follow instructions. I really don't want any setbacks. If anyone has questions feel free to ask. Just for advice, the body wrap they put you in after surgery, wear it as much as you can. It really helps with soreness. Also, it helps if you start coughing.

Hey Ron! I had my BP on the 6th. I’m doing pretty good as well. I don’t start Vitamins until Tuesday a full two weeks after surgery. I guess they want to make sure I’m eating something to protect me from getting nausea. I saw my nutritionist yesterday and he said I can ease into soft foods with yogurt and cottage cheese. Luckily I love both! I was able to have about 1/2 a cup without feeling uncomfortable. I just stopped eating and I wasn’t hungry or wanting more. A few hours later same thing with a Greek yogurt. I’m so ready for eggs, tuna, cheese etc.

I also was told to wear my binder for 4 weeks. It definitely makes me feel more secure. My glue is still on my incisions. I guess they put a super deluxe hospital grade glue on me. I’m not scrubbing it off or peeling it off until it comes off naturally. I’m too scared to open something up.

So, good luck my friend. And everyone else hang in there with your liquid diets. It’s definitely worth it. It will make your surgery go smoother and recovery easier. 💖💖💖

UPDATE

10 mins later….

lol 😆 I peeled off the glue from my incisions! The more I thought about it I couldn’t stop myself. After peeling, they looked way better than I thought. Very well healed. 😮💨

Now I can start applying scar gel on them. Yay!

On 2/15/2024 at 7:45 PM, LisaCaryl said:

Congrats! I'm glad to hear you aren't in too much pain. I keep hearing about the gas pain and am not looking forward to that. I'm excited about the fact that you are able to come here and post something already!

Thank you. I also took one gas x the night before and drank zero Gatorade with Mira lax the night before. The day of surgery I took another gas x and a sip of Gatorade with my morning pills.

It is now day three since surgery and I am taking it slow, I have been drinking what I can in Water and in broth and I have had Decaf coffee in the morning. I also do the SF popsicles through the day too. I did try some SF Jello yesterday and that sat okay so will have that done today to. I go the 26th for my post op appointment and see my nutritionist.

Update: 10 days after surgery. The one thing you should do if you're not doing is taking stool softener. Yesterday was NOT fun. Even taking Miralax everyday, I hadn't gone #2 in two days. Yesterday, I couldn't go and was hurting from not going. After an enema and trying to free the compaction myself, I had to go to the ER in order to get it free.
After being violated and a large enema later, I was freed from the beast. Never had an issue like that in my life. I've been getting 64 oz of Water or more a day. I went ahead an started the soft foods, because the ER Doctor said I was only intaking Protein and not getting Fiber that allows better bowel movements. Be sure to get in water and take stool softner. Constipation isn't fun, being compacted is something I hope never happens again.

If you don't already have it, the Baritastic app is pretty handy. So far, I'm only tracking food (well, liquids) and my weight, but there's more fun stuff, too. The bariatric nurse at the hospital recommended it during my pre-op appointment.

I had my surgery on 02/12! I am glad I had a tripod and used my phone to videotape me in various outfits that were too small for me, but I always wanted to wear. I plan on re- trying those outfits , after one year post op to see the progress♥️

A small NSV today, and this is just from the pre-op diet. I bought a dress last winter that I had wanted to wear on my birthday because I was going to NYC and going out to dinner. I bought it at a store where I wasn't able to try it on, and when I got it home, it was so tight that every single button gaped ridiculously. But I was optimistic, so I kept it. It's been a year. I pulled it out today and tried it on, and now only one button right at the largest part of my bust has a slight gap. Another 5-10 pounds and I will be able to wear it with no issues. And since my birthday is 4 weeks away, I think I know what I'll be wearing!

Surgery complete! It was on the 12th. I’m not going to lie -it really hurts. The first day or two was pretty rough. Besides my stomach hurting my throat was so angry from the tube. I’m going to blame that on my snoring… I find that every day I’m feeling much better than the last. From the start of my liquid diet a week before to now I’m down 12 lbs. that makes me very very happy. Definitely the most productive weight loss I’ve ever had. Im 6 days post-op and feeling pretty good- I get a twinge of pain when I use my stomachs muscles like laying down or sitting up but just a twinge like a 2/10. Now I’m ready to get going- I want to get the weight off and keep it off.

Had surgery on 14th. My anxiety was insane during Pre op worrying about what is coming aftersurgery and i had to lie on a tiny stretcher for 3hrs before going in. Pain conrtol was terrible after surgery and i didn't get relief til i got to my room and on dilaudid. Then the first day was great and relatively pain-free and stress-free. I insisted on the overnight because I knew with my anxiety it would give me a good Kickstart to recovery.

Went home next day and I still took some hydrocodone that day but didn't take any more after that. I couldn't believe that these incisions hurt less than my gallbladder and a colon resection so recovering from the surgery pain is fast compared to other laparoscopic surgeries I've had

Struggling really hard with the eating. I can't seem to figure out how you can get all the Protein you need and all the Water you need in a day when you have to pause between meals like you do and you can only drink so many ounces an hour. My Cravings are huge. I was really hoping I wouldn't feel hungry anymore but I feel like I feel hungry all the time. I was psyched to get to the full liquid diet only to find out that I couldn't have cream Soup or pudding more than once a day. Have to mix Protein Powder in with everything

I'm definitely going through my doubts about why I did this. I mean I know why but looking at food and realizing I can't just reach over and take a little bite of something is really hard. I am adhering to the diet because I don't want to be sick but I feel like I might be drinking too much through the protein meals or water because I seem to get that full feeling quickly after just a sip but then it releases itself through burps

I'm also psychologically in a bad place because my psychiatrist did not change one of my meds over from extended release to normal release and so this weekend has been really rough and I can't call him till tomorrow. I am definitely very low about all of this right now

14 hours ago, Sandee01 said:

Had surgery on 14th. My anxiety was insane during Pre op worrying about what is coming after surgery and i had to lie on a tiny stretcher for 3hrs before going in. Pain control was terrible after surgery and i didn't get relief til i got to my room and on dilaudid. Then the first day was great and relatively pain-free and stress-free. I insisted on the overnight because I knew with my anxiety it would give me a good Kickstart to recovery.

Went home next day and I still took some hydrocodone that day but didn't take any more after that. I couldn't believe that these incisions hurt less than my gallbladder and a colon resection so recovering from the surgery pain is fast compared to other laparoscopic surgeries I've had

Struggling really hard with the eating. I can't seem to figure out how you can get all the Protein you need and all the Water you need in a day when you have to pause between meals like you do and you can only drink so many ounces an hour. My Cravings are huge. I was really hoping I wouldn't feel hungry anymore but I feel like I feel hungry all the time. I was psyched to get to the full liquid diet only to find out that I couldn't have cream Soup or pudding more than once a day. Have to mix Protein Powder in with everything

I'm definitely going through my doubts about why I did this. I mean I know why but looking at food and realizing I can't just reach over and take a little bite of something is really hard. I am adhering to the diet because I don't want to be sick but I feel like I might be drinking too much through the Protein meals or Water because I seem to get that full feeling quickly after just a sip but then it releases itself through burps

I'm also psychologically in a bad place because my psychiatrist did not change one of my meds over from extended release to normal release and so this weekend has been really rough and I can't call him till tomorrow. I am definitely very low about all of this right now

I understand fully what your saying. I was shocked too at how much less pain the surgery was compared to my gallbladder. I didn't really have too much anxiety, as I did excitement and finally had it done. when I came to in recovery I had to wait for a room to open, so I was there for a couple hours and my nurse was wonderful!! she was so kind and got me extra pillows and talked with me the whole time. All the staff was wonderful through the night and the next for going home I was home by I believe, 10:30 am.

Why did they say you cant have Soup or pudding more than once a day ? I can have soup just have to have it cream and strained before having it, I wonder why they stated that. I am sorry that they said that. I feel hungry all the time too, I am just trying to get fluids in and get at least one Protein Drink in a day at this point. I don't want to push it. I find It hard when my kids are making food not to just taste it to make sure it taste alright lol , but so far I have been good. I have slipped and took a very very small bite of some chicken wing dip and just made sure I chewed it really well. I sat okay. So I was glad.

I really hope that you are able to get your medicine soon. I am on my own medicine and glad that I have it through this , I don't think that I would make without it.

14 hours ago, Sandee01 said:

If it helps, I was told by my dietician (and have heard/read in multiple other sources) that the liquid/solid rule doesn't kick in until you progress beyond full liquids. If you are struggling to get in Water and Protein, I know they say to focus on water first. Your body has more stores of protein than water. But also, consider getting a protein water, which you can generally count for both.

As for the difficulty with mood right now, it's to be expected. It's a hard adjustment, and would be even if your meds weren't causing more issues. It's okay to know you made the right choice for yourself rationally, but to question it emotionally at the same time.

15 hours ago, Sandee01 said:

Had surgery on 14th. My anxiety was insane during Pre op worrying about what is coming aftersurgery and i had to lie on a tiny stretcher for 3hrs before going in. Pain conrtol was terrible after surgery and i didn't get relief til i got to my room and on dilaudid. Then the first day was great and relatively pain-free and stress-free. I insisted on the overnight because I knew with my anxiety it would give me a good Kickstart to recovery.

I'm definitely going through my doubts about why I did this. I mean I know why but looking at food and realizing I can't just reach over and take a little bite of something is really hard. I am adhering to the diet because I don't want to be sick but I feel like I might be drinking too much through the Protein meals or Water because I seem to get that full feeling quickly after just a sip but then it releases itself through burps

If the doctor or dietician gave you a minimum amount of protein per day, 3 Protein Shakes should meet that. Did they give you any nausea or reflux meds? If they didn't, that could be a possibility of why you can't get it down. It's all definitely a new learning curve. I had gastric bypass on the 7th. I thought water would be more of an issue.
I do feel full after drinking but it doesn't last long. Just a matter of finding your sweet spot. Since I've started puree'/soft food. I do feel more hungry than I did on just liquids. But, After a couple bites from a cup of food I have to stop and usually wait. It takes me 45 minutes or so to eat a cup a food. A lot to get used to. Wish you the best, hang in there. It will get better.

This time tomorrow I should be checking into the hospital!

I've lost 15.4 pounds on the 2-week liquid diet, which is kinda crazy. My liver better be skinny enough to start a modeling career.

2 days until surgery! So excited and petrified! Anyone else that has that first postop week under your belts, what was the easiest clear liquid item to eat or drink? I want to stock up. Any words of advice?