Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2024 Surgery Buddies?

8 minutes ago, simron shrestha said:

I did mine on feb 12 in turkey .

How are you doing ? What are you eating in typical day ?

23 minutes ago, BlueParis said:

I had my surgery on the 16th of Feb - so 20 days ago. I'm still on purées and am mainly having Myprotein clear Protein Shakes ( 3 a day) and ricotta mixed with different spices/herbs/salts and Peanut Butter powder for the purées.

I've been having pretty loose and watery stools though so I'm very tired.

I stared at 91.1kg for 1m67 and now I'm at 82.9kg so I'm loosing at a decent rate but I'm exhausted... pre surgery I was a very big walker and I'm struggling to get to 10k steps a day.

I'm eating as much as I can but it takes ages as after 2/3 teaspoons I get a blocked sensation at the top of my throat and a painful feeling in my tummy and have to wait half an hour or so before I can try again. I know this will get better, but it's hard at the moment.

What have been the best (easiest) purées you folks have found ?

Thanks

I can identify with the feelings you are having when trying to get food down... also being so tired!

Some of my favorite pureed foods have been an egg scrambled with Ricotta cheese, cream of wheat made with veggie broth, and vanilla yogurt (zero) with some Peanut Butter powder mixed in it. I'm allowed to have hummus and have liked that occasionally. I hate that blocked feeling... I'm actually scared of it at this point. I'm trying to find a way to avoid it but haven't been successful yet. I can only eat a 1/4 cup of food at a time max. Have you tried using baby spoons? I've found that it helps me take small bites and eat slower.

3 minutes ago, LisaCaryl said:

I can identify with the feelings you are having when trying to get food down... also being so tired!

Some of my favorite pureed foods have been an egg scrambled with Ricotta cheese, cream of wheat made with veggie broth, and vanilla yogurt (zero) with some Peanut Butter powder mixed in it. I'm allowed to have hummus and have liked that occasionally. I hate that blocked feeling... I'm actually scared of it at this point. I'm trying to find a way to avoid it but haven't been successful yet. I can only eat a 1/4 cup of food at a time max. Have you tried using baby spoons? I've found that it helps me take small bites and eat slower.

I have tiny teaspoons but might try and get a baby spoon ... I'm not meant to be having eggs for another 5 days but will try some mashed eggs with ricotta when I can! I'm not sure we have cream of wheat here.. but I'll have a look! Thanks

I am 9 days post op . this morning I poured myself 4 ounces of a Premier Protein shake out of the refrigerator. I sipped it I didn’t think very quickly. I literally took one sip, had a pain in my stomach and I immediately needed to use the bathroom. I noticed since the last day or so, this has been happening, Whether or not my food is cold or room temp. I’m also experiencing at that same time stomach cramps. Is this dumping syndrome? I don’t think I did anything out of the ordinary I’m not having any added sugar that wasn’t already in the Protein Shake. Has anybody else experienced this, or has any idea?

2 minutes ago, Rae70 said:

I am 9 days post op . this morning I poured myself 4 ounces of a Premier Protein shake out of the refrigerator. I sipped it I didn’t think very quickly. I literally took one sip, had a pain in my stomach and I immediately needed to use the bathroom. I noticed since the last day or so, this has been happening, Whether or not my food is cold or room temp. I’m also experiencing at that same time stomach cramps. Is this dumping syndrome? I don’t think I did anything out of the ordinary I’m not having any added sugar that wasn’t already in the Protein Shake. Has anybody else experienced this, or has any idea?

Hey there Ray!

I can’t comment on hot vs cold - however I’m 21 days out and still have a very sudden need to go to the loo after eating some things and am quite crampy … it is getting better though.

Made the mistake of reheating a piece of salmon. I knew from looking at it that it was way drier than when I had it last night, but I took a bite anyway. Now I want to die. So much pain!

Lesson learned. It's a shame because I'll have to throw away the rest of it, but in the future I know not to make more than a single serving at a time because it absolutely does not reheat.

1 hour ago, NickelChip said:

Made the mistake of reheating a piece of salmon. I knew from looking at it that it was way drier than when I had it last night, but I took a bite anyway. Now I want to die. So much pain!

Lesson learned. It's a shame because I'll have to throw away the rest of it, but in the future I know not to make more than a single serving at a time because it absolutely does not reheat.

Bummer! I was told to add a small amount of Water when reheating fish or meat. I don't eat meat, but I will add a few drops of water or some sauce of some kind when reheating fish.

2 hours ago, LisaCaryl said:

Bummer! I was told to add a small amount of Water when reheating fish or meat. I don't eat meat, but I will add a few drops of Water or some sauce of some kind when reheating fish.

That was four hours of agony. I will never do that again. Adding water might help, but I think to be safe I will just cut raw fish into portions and freeze so I can cook it one meal at a time instead of cooking a big piece and freezing it after. It's finally starting to let up after much pain and throwing up multiple times. Wow, not an experience I will forget.

2 hours ago, NickelChip said:

That was four hours of agony. I will never do that again. Adding Water might help, but I think to be safe I will just cut raw fish into portions and freeze so I can cook it one meal at a time instead of cooking a big piece and freezing it after. It's finally starting to let up after much pain and throwing up multiple times. Wow, not an experience I will forget.

That sounds horrible. So sorry!!!

16 hours ago, NickelChip said:

The dietician told me no salmon until after a month out. But recommended longer becuase its harder to digest. Told.me to.stick with white flaky fish like tilapia, cod ect.

2 hours ago, RonHall908 said:

The dietician told me no salmon until after a month out. But recommended longer becuase its harder to digest. Told.me to.stick with white flaky fish like tilapia, cod ect.

Interesting. Mine didn't say anything about salmon, just beef, pork, and lamb (3 months). I've been enjoying smoked salmon with no issues, and the baked salmon was great when it was fresh. But you can even see the texture difference after it comes out of the microwave. Luckily my daughter loved it (even reheated) so it won't go to waste. But I may go with tilapia next time just to be safe.

I'm officially off my blood pressure medication!

I haven't taken it since the day before surgery because my blood pressure was normal in the hospital and low when they released me, but the final decision needed to be made by my primary care. I went to see her today and was at 110/78 so she officially removed the med from my chart. All my readings have been normal the past three weeks, which feels like a miracle. I've been on it for at least 10 years, and even with medication I usually measured 130/85.

31 minutes ago, NickelChip said:

I'm officially off my blood pressure medication!

I haven't taken it since the day before surgery because my blood pressure was normal in the hospital and low when they released me, but the final decision needed to be made by my primary care. I went to see her today and was at 110/78 so she officially removed the med from my chart. All my readings have been normal the past three weeks, which feels like a miracle. I've been on it for at least 10 years, and even with medication I usually measured 130/85.

Ha I am in the same boat. In the hospital they told me my BP was fine the whole hospital stay, stop taking meds, follow up with my PCP... I couldn't get an appt until 26th. I am hoping to be off!

54 minutes ago, ToucanSam said:

Ha I am in the same boat. In the hospital they told me my BP was fine the whole hospital stay, stop taking meds, follow up with my PCP... I couldn't get an appt until 26th. I am hoping to be off!

My blood pressure has been super low since right after I got out of the OR. I'm just hoping my GP will consider dropping the meds at the next checkup, because it's making me woozy XD

1 hour ago, kissabeth said:

My blood pressure has been super low since right after I got out of the OR. I'm just hoping my GP will consider dropping the meds at the next checkup, because it's making me woozy XD

You probably should stop taking them if that's the case! I was told to hold off restarting them after surgery. Otherwise I probably would have passed out because I was on a pretty strong dose.