Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

🎶🎵 It's the Final Countdown!! 🎵🎶

(Also my status update, btw)

It's finally here!! My last day with a "normal" digestive system. Tomorrow morning I go in at 10:15am to check in, go through all the pre-flight checks (IV, vitals, sign consents, talk to anesthesia and my surgeon, etc), then into the OR I go!

This process has taken what seems like forever. Way back in April of 2022, I saw a general surgeon to have a Nissen Fundoplication to deal with my (horrible!!) reflux and repair my hiatal hernia. Problem was....my weight made it so there would be a high risk of both failure after a couple years and potential complications. He then suggested I see a bariatric surgeon (which was the first time anyone had ever made that suggestion.

So off I went to see bariatrics. From the first appointment, Dr. Beekley was nothing but supportive. He never once belittled me over my weight, or made me feel like I was making excuses for my health. The entire team has been awesome. They keep up with me in myChart, letting me know what Pre-op clearances I needed, or if anything extra was needed from other providers (which, given all my health issues, there was always something extra that was needed lol).

But all that hoop jumping was worth it. Now I'm packing my bag and getting ready to have my life completely changed for the better. While I may be increasingly nervous the closer I get to that OR, I'm also excited beyond belief. I've been stuck in this messed up body for entirely too long, and I can't wait to start leaving it behind and meet the woman I know is inside.

How exciting!
I had a fundolipcation years ago & after ten years it was discovered that it had failed at some point. And that my esophagus was L shaped & 1/2 of my stomach was above my diaphragm!
I had a bypass to fix all of that and lost over 60 pounds. I feel so much better now!
Good luck & God’s blessings on you tomorrow!

How exciting!
I had a fundolipcation years ago & after ten years it was discovered that it had failed at some point. And that my esophagus was L shaped & 1/2 of my stomach was above my diaphragm!
I had a bypass to fix all of that and lost over 60 pounds. I feel so much better now!
Good luck & God’s blessings on you tomorrow!

Congratulations, Very exciting! I remember I was so nervous before surgery that I stayed up the entire night binge watching TV. Whenever you’re settled, let us know how it went.

3 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Congratulations, Very exciting! I remember I was so nervous before surgery that I stayed up the entire night binge watching TV. Whenever you’re settled, let us know how it went.

Believe me, I feel ya there! I have everything ready to go, and I'm sitting just scrolling on my phone and playing games on my tablet. sleep is the LAST thing on my mind tonight. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Then again, this isn't my first rodeo going under the knife....and every time, I end up staying up all night. I get a solid nap under anesthesia anyway, right? 😆

I'll keep y'all posted on my progress after I'm in a room for the night afterward.

Merry met, and sending you all the good juju today! Look forward to your post-op update.

Yayy!! I hope your surgery has gone well, you got a good nap, and now are waking up on the other side!! Speedy healing to you!

14 hours ago, mamabear527 said:

Believe me, I feel ya there! I have everything ready to go, and I'm sitting just scrolling on my phone and playing games on my tablet. sleep is the LAST thing on my mind tonight. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Then again, this isn't my first rodeo going under the knife....and every time, I end up staying up all night. I get a solid nap under anesthesia anyway, right? 😆

I'll keep y'all posted on my progress after I'm in a room for the night afterward.

Oh I love your approach to this. I hope you're now out the other end of your surgery.

I really look forward to getting to know you. 😍

GOOD LUCK AND SPEEDY HEALING!!!!

I had the fundoplication back in 2005, it failed and created a ton of scartissue and other issues, the major hernia with the portion of my stomach that was originally under the wrap herniating into my chest because the fundoplication has been slowly moving down for the last two years, making the gerd unbearable and having bouts of cyclical vomiting that didn't stop without hospital intervention. They offered to do the RNY at the time and I was 170lbs so I didn't think it was a good idea and I passed. Man..... if I would have known....