Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain after surgery?

Hi All, today is my 6th day after surgery, no more gas pain, still feel weak. Today I did good meeting all my goals. Protein 64, Water 48-56. Leaking how to make the full liquids more filling and good. Thanks you all for sharing, it helps when we need to refer somewhere with how we are getting through this. By the Grace of God, I don’t feel Hungary all the time just eat what I need too. I hope it’s always like this.

16 days post op, down 28.5 pounds.

I hit that stage now where it harder to get fluids in I still hit goal of 64oz & 60+ Protein, but it harder then previously.

Also hunger is way less dont have a desire to eat anything. No complaints surgery doing it job. Just wanted to share my update.

How you all doing now? Any good updates?

Update took nausea pill that was provided to me after surgery and felt a 100x better.

6 hours ago, Mike.J.Y said:

16 days post op, down 28.5 pounds.

I hit that stage now where it harder to get fluids in I still hit goal of 64oz & 60+ Protein, but it harder then previously.

Also hunger is way less dont have a desire to eat anything. No complaints surgery doing it job. Just wanted to share my update.

How you all doing now? Any good updates?

Wow that’s amazing! I’m down 30lbs today after a minor setback with my thyroid basically stopping working for about 10 days of the last 31, had my surgery 8/1.
I’m glad it appears to be getting better and after being stalled for several days I finally dropped those last few to get to the 30 lbs

I also found Quest Protein chips and Cookies and some other protein products today and am curious about what everyone is thinking about these items???

5 hours ago, PennyinAL said:

Wow that’s amazing! I’m down 30lbs today after a minor setback with my thyroid basically stopping working for about 10 days of the last 31, had my surgery 8/1.
I’m glad it appears to be getting better and after being stalled for several days I finally dropped those last few to get to the 30 lbs

I also found Quest Protein chips and Cookies and some other Protein products today and am curious about what everyone is thinking about these items???

Great job, that's quite the accomplishment.

As far as the protein Snacks, just be careful of the calories, fat and carbs. chips for me are a slider food; meaning I can just keep eating and don't really fill up on them and end up consuming too much. For example, we went out for Mexican food last night for my birthday and I ate about a third of the chips and salsa and still had my portion of dinner. Not great in the calorie arena.

With that said, if you pre portion your chips it should be fine, same with the Cookies. My thoughts are to limit the foods that got us to where we are and only consume them once and awhile as a special treat; even if they appear to be good. It's easy to fall back into old habits.

7 hours ago, PennyinAL said:

I also found Quest Protein chips and Cookies and some other Protein products today and am curious about what everyone is thinking about these items???

Congrats that’s great!

Quest Protein chips are great for me. I personally love the tortilla style ones. For 140 cals and 19g Protein it’s a pretty great snack. The fats and carbs are also quite low. I like to keep them around for occasions such as going to the movies or hanging out with friends and they have their high cal/fat chips. I have even subbed them for a lunch when I just could not eat anything heavy, but needed to get my protein in. The Spicy Sweet Chili is my top flavor, followed by Nacho cheese and Loaded Taco.

The Cookies I tried ages ago, well before surgery and wasn’t a fan as the fake sugar taste was quite prominent. I have not tried them again to see if it’s the same. I don’t think the stats on those are quite as good as the chips so beware.

I will just caution, though the chips do have great stats, I would be sure to have them on occasion and not rely on them. As others have said, they can be a slider food or even a trigger food for some. I personally don’t have that trigger. I tend to just have a bag around as a just in case. They are portion sized bags so that it also helpful.

10 hours ago, LindsayT said:

Great job, that's quite the accomplishment.

As far as the Protein Snacks, just be careful of the calories, fat and carbs. chips for me are a slider food; meaning I can just keep eating and don't really fill up on them and end up consuming too much. For example, we went out for Mexican food last night for my birthday and I ate about a third of the chips and salsa and still had my portion of dinner. Not great in the calorie arena.

With that said, if you pre portion your chips it should be fine, same with the Cookies. My thoughts are to limit the foods that got us to where we are and only consume them once and awhile as a special treat; even if they appear to be good. It's easy to fall back into old habits.

Yeah, I haven't much been going to restaurants...we live in a rural area and only have 2 restaurants in our little town, both close at 2 pm, well there is a Mexican restaurant but I'm not much of a fan of Mexican food in general.

I have a well stocked pantry, freezers and kitchen and actually enjoy cooking (this butt didn't get this big by itself) and Lord help me, I enjoy eating way too much.

That said, I'm 33 days post op and it was awesome to find a "snack" I CAN HAVE...well I think I can have it? My list is so vague...I'll try to share this pic of my instructions.

It says "Protein, Protein, Protein" suggests ground turkey....and I'm like with WHAT?

As you all moved into your 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th weeks, What do you eat?

I had a LOT of Cod this week, made an Alfredo shrimp/crab sauce to serve over it and some canned turnips on the side. I have chicken thighs, breasts, wings, 3 kinds of Fish, Ground Beef & Turkey & Turkey burgers, Cooked red Beans, 15 beans & Lima & Cream Peas and can't figure out a darn thing to make for dinner because I don't know how to pair or prepare it....I am seriously thinking of Buffalo Wings or thighs with sauce?

Fortunately, I lost another pound (all that damned fish, lol) but maybe just because nothing seems to taste right or I don't have a taste for anything...rambling here, but does anyone else have that feeling? Like nothing is suiting you or you just don't feel like bothering for the whopping 3 or 4 oz you're going to be able to eat out of the pan after you do all that work?

And What Veggies are acceptable at this point? Last night I had boneless ckn breast over a salad mix with a little dressing, green onions, bacon bits...and when I'm eating hubby asks if I can eat that. I had only considered the chicken, hadn't thought of if salad is allowed? I remembered someone saying they eat salads all the time but they are like an old timer.

I have several containers of fresh mushrooms I was going to prep, some for now and freeze for later but then started wondering IF I can have???

Turkey burger with no bread sounds sucky...

I'm not sure if food is "not allowed" bc of the calories/fat intake or if food isn't allowed bc of a possible adverse reaction with the bypass. Like if I make a turkey burger and eat a slice of whole wheat, is that OK? What about serving something with a sauce along side something like Quinoa? SMH...done with my rant, please share your rants and tell me I am NOT alone with all these things running around in my little A.D.D. brain :)

11 minutes ago, PennyinAL said:

Yeah, I haven't much been going to restaurants...we live in a rural area and only have 2 restaurants in our little town, both close at 2 pm, well there is a Mexican restaurant but I'm not much of a fan of Mexican food in general.

I have a well stocked pantry, freezers and kitchen and actually enjoy cooking (this butt didn't get this big by itself) and Lord help me, I enjoy eating way too much.

That said, I'm 33 days post op and it was awesome to find a "snack" I CAN HAVE...well I think I can have it? My list is so vague...I'll try to share this pic of my instructions.

It says "Protein, Protein, Protein" suggests ground turkey....and I'm like with WHAT?

I had a LOT of Cod this week, made an Alfredo shrimp/crab sauce to serve over it and some canned turnips on the side. I have chicken thighs, breasts, wings, 3 kinds of Fish, Ground Beef & Turkey & Turkey burgers, Cooked red Beans, 15 Beans & Lima & Cream Peas and can't figure out a darn thing to make for dinner because I don't know how to pair or prepare it....I am seriously thinking of Buffalo Wings or thighs with sauce?

Fortunately, I lost another pound (all that damned fish, lol) but maybe just because nothing seems to taste right or I don't have a taste for anything...rambling here, but does anyone else have that feeling? Like nothing is suiting you or you just don't feel like bothering for the whopping 3 or 4 oz you're going to be able to eat out of the pan after you do all that work?

And What Veggies are acceptable at this point? Last night I had boneless ckn breast over a salad mix with a little dressing, green onions, bacon bits...and when I'm eating hubby asks if I can eat that. I had only considered the chicken, hadn't thought of if salad is allowed? I remembered someone saying they eat salads all the time but they are like an old timer.

I have several containers of fresh mushrooms I was going to prep, some for now and freeze for later but then started wondering IF I can have???

I'm not sure if food is "not allowed" bc of the calories/fat intake or if food isn't allowed bc of a possible adverse reaction with the bypass. Like if I make a turkey burger and eat a slice of whole wheat, is that OK? What about serving something with a sauce along side something like Quinoa? SMH...done with my rant, please share your rants and tell me I am NOT alone with all these things running around in my little A.D.D. brain :)

What does your plan say? As long as your food is high protein, low fat, low carb, low sugar AND you can tolerate it, you're good. Always eat protein first, then veggies, then complex carbs (potatoes, whole grain, beans ect). I suggest maybe speaking with a dietitian.

On 9/2/2023 at 8:29 PM, PennyinAL said:

I had a LOT of Cod this week, made an Alfredo shrimp/crab sauce to serve over it and some canned turnips on the side. I have chicken thighs, breasts, wings, 3 kinds of Fish, Ground Beef & Turkey & Turkey burgers, Cooked red Beans, 15 Beans & Lima & Cream Peas and can't figure out a darn thing to make for dinner because I don't know how to pair or prepare it....I am seriously thinking of Buffalo Wings or thighs with sauce?

What exactly are your program guidelines? Do you meet with a dietician as part of your program? Can you reach out for some additional assistance?

I know for my program, I am in the range of at least 70-80g of protein and soon enough 80-100g. There is no specific guide to carbs and fats allotment, only that protein is the priority and to limit carbs and fats. More so complex carbs and healthy fats. sugar free as much as possible.

It can feel weird at first, but it gets better with time. I mostly stick to a protein and a veg. I do happen to eat burgers with no bun. I can only really manage a whole chicken patty, but only half a turkey burger or beef burger. If i feel like I want to have more traditional way of eating it, I'll put the half on a Mission Carb Balance Whole Wheat street taco tortilla. I do use sugar free BBQ Sauce, maybe some pickle slices and tomatoes with a reduced fat slice of cheese. It's all I can manage and I am satisfied.

I also make cottage cheese bowls - taco bowls are my fave. About 3oz of ground turkey or chicken taco meat and a couple tablespoons of cottage cheese. Toppings as you like - i can do a couple cherry tomatoes, some shredded lettuce, a sprinkle of light cheese and a little salsa. Sometimes I can eat it all, sometimes I have some left which I may or may not be able to eat a little later.

I would also say, instead of thinking of doing all the work for just 3ozs, meal prep. Make several portions to have on hand. Freeze extras if you tire easily. One pound of ground meat can easily last me a week's worth of meals, but I freeze to not waste if i don't realistically think I can eat any one thing. (I'm only cooking for myself a majority of the time).

I also follow on IG your.onderland which provides a lot of helpful reminders, tips and recipes for the bariatric journey.

Hope this helps.

Update 4 weeks post op:

I am not eating much just drinking my Protein and hitting fluid goals.

Weight lose down 34 pounds.

Pain none.

Still get nauseous when drinking but it not to bad.

How everyone else doing?

Still losing or stalled?

6 hours ago, Mike.J.Y said:

Update 4 weeks post op:

I am not eating much just drinking my Protein and hitting fluid goals.

Weight lose down 34 pounds.

Pain none.

Still get nauseous when drinking but it not to bad.

How everyone else doing?

Still losing or stalled?

Congrats that's a solid loss in 4 weeks. Too bad about the nausea, but that should continue to dissipate with time. What stage are you currently on?

I am still losing, though the numbers fluctuate from week to week, it's still in a downward trend. The restriction also varies on what I can eat or not eat. Today so far all I've managed are liquids and I'm feeling full. I'll try for something solid for dinner when I'm home if I'm up for it.

All we can do is take it day by day, sometimes just meal by meal.

On 7/26/2023 at 9:38 AM, Mike.J.Y said:

Question how long did pain last after surgery?

2nd part did you need to refill on pain medication or were you able to go without?

I'm 2 days (30h) post sleeve, back home from the hospital. Have not taken any pain medication pass the 24h mark. The gas having greatly reduced, I feel better. I'm not really in pain, what is annoying me the most is the random nauseas.

On 8/15/2023 at 11:33 AM, LindsayT said:

They're supposed to make sure your internal incisions and staples are not leaking before your drink. It's pretty standard.

I haven't had a leak test eighter.....

On 9/13/2023 at 12:22 PM, Shanna NYC said:

Congrats that's a solid loss in 4 weeks. Too bad about the nausea, but that should continue to dissipate with time. What stage are you currently on?

I am still losing, though the numbers fluctuate from week to week, it's still in a downward trend. The restriction also varies on what I can eat or not eat. Today so far all I've managed are liquids and I'm feeling full. I'll try for something solid for dinner when I'm home if I'm up for it.

All we can do is take it day by day, sometimes just meal by meal.

Stage, drinking Water and Protein Drinks mainly. I eat eggs, Beans, tonight 200 calories worth of vegetable Soup. Maybe that stage 3 or 4 they seem the same.

6 yrs out, highest weight 410lbs 1 year after surgery Dr told me to stop losing at 235lbs. I had zero pain. In fact, when I came through, I asked doctor if my liver was to fatty, and he laughed and told me I was all done. I got up and took a walk around the hospital floor with him. I had gastric sleeve. I had zero complications. I hope the best for you all. My secret for keeping it off, I hover from 235 to 245lbs... I ask myself am I eating to live or for fun. It helps me

Edited by volfan