Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain after surgery?

5 hours ago, Mike.J.Y said:

Thank you both for your responses. I had the Bypass on 8/16/2023 it been a week. Right now I am dealing with fatigue but hitting all goals 64oz and 70g Protein with issues now. Just tired I need to push myself to move around more. When did your energy improve ? What stage week?

I'm glad you are meeting your goals so early on. I definitely struggled with that for the first couple weeks.

I started out straight out of the hospital on pureed. I made it to soft foods after 2 weeks. It was still difficult to eat much but it was around week 3 I had a bit more energy. Definitely need food, Vitamins and hydration to get back that energy. For some it still takes awhile. Get in some electrolytes when you get in that exercise. Add 5 minutes or a few extra steps day by day. Just work up gradually and don't push too hard. Remember your body is healing and will also take up some of that energy to repair itself. Keep at it as you seem to be doing well.

I’m 9 months sleeve post op and if I remember correctly they sent me home with hydro morphine. I was getting such bad headaches daily and would last 12 hours. Finally read the side affects of the pain meds and headache or Migraine is on the list. I stopped taking it right then and went back to Tylenol after maybe day 3. I think being dehydrated also contributed to headaches as getting enough fluids at the beginning is a challenge. I was also give the self injection shot to help prevent blood clots. I think headaches are also a side affect of that drug. I finish led the 10 day course of injections but so glad to be off it.

I agree with another member the gas pain is the worst part of it coming out of surgery. It took a few days for it to finally leave my abdomen and was the most painful part. After that managing pain was very tolerable with Tylenol.

Just remember it gets easier every day and take it one step at a time!

Update been 9 days since surgery and feel great. No pain. Able to drink fluids without issues. Protein intake no issues. Surgery did it job I am not hungry and able to follow stages with out issues. Weighed myself for thr first time, and down 16 pounds.

21 hours ago, Mike.J.Y said:

Update been 9 days since surgery and feel great. No pain. Able to drink fluids without issues. Protein intake no issues. Surgery did it job I am not hungry and able to follow stages with out issues. Weighed myself for thr first time, and down 16 pounds.

Awesome! I am 17 days out and have finally started getting some energy back because I'm now able to eat yogurt, thinned refried Beans, hummus, and tuna.

21 hours ago, Mike.J.Y said:

Awesome! I am 17 days out and have finally started getting some energy back because I'm now able to eat yogurt, thinned refried Beans, hummus, and tuna.

Hi all, it’s been 3 days after surgery, I’m still having gas pain. It feels like air moving around in my stomach and it is painful only can do 2 0z of anything every 15 min. I’m not sure if this gas or I’m drinking too much. I drink 2 0z every 15 min all day to get my Protein and Water in. Any one have any thoughts to help me understand what is going on with this pain.

1 minute ago, Nissi88 said:

Hi all, it’s been 3 days after surgery, I’m still having gas pain. It feels like air moving around in my stomach and it is painful only can do 2 0z of anything every 15 min. I’m not sure if this gas or I’m drinking too much. I drink 2 0z every 15 min all day to get my Protein and Water in. Any one have any thoughts to help me understand what is going on with this pain.

If it gas pains, walk. If not, walk anyway. You can start with laps in your house, around your yard, or down the sidewalk a bit and back.

Try cutting back some on your sipping until it becomes more comfortable or try drink warmer liquids. Remember, your Liquid Protein counts towards your fluid goals.

Congratulations on surgery.

thank you for your response that helps.

I did not have that feeling in stomach like you Nissi, but on 3rd night had some horrible pain when drinking. I stayed up one night no sleep just sipping & burping walking around getting up and down in chair was brutal.

Lindsay advice might be best try warm liquids. Move around.

First week out from surgery, it's normal to have gas pain/incision pain. Walking is the best medicine to expel the air that was pumped into you while performing the surgery. If it's a different kind of gas from something you ate or drank then Gas X would probably help if you are allowed to take it 3 days post op.

I didn't suffer from any of the horrid gas pains but did have a lot of the gurgling as you described. I made myself get up and walk every hour for 5 minutes. I was more worried about getting blood clots.

Congrats on your recent surgery @Nissi88 and week 2 should be much better for you.

11 hours ago, Mike.J.Y said:

3rd night had some horrible pain when drinking. I stayed up one night no sleep just sipping & burping

Whenever I have a lot of burping, it's usually accompanied by the foamies and/or nausea. I read the foamies are the stomachs way of protecting itself from an irritant by producing the slime that coats the stomach.

Early on that healing stomach can be easily irritated so I was careful not to force food or drink trying to meet daily goals. I just made sure I didn't allow myself to become dehydrated.

Update: 13 days preop

Pain: None

Energy: Getting better daily.

Exercise: Just walking

Protein: 60+ grams a day.

Fluids: 64+ oz a day.

Supplements: Baratric advantage 2 calcium chews & 1 multi Vitamin w/iron.

Weight lose: 22 pounds

1 minute ago, Mike.J.Y said:

Update: 13 days preop

Pain: None

Energy: Getting better daily.

Exercise: Just walking

Protein: 60+ grams a day.

Fluids: 64+ oz a day.

Supplements: Baratric advantage 2 calcium chews & 1 multi Vitamin w/iron.

Weight lose: 22 pounds

That's great!

Hi All, today is my 6th day after surgery, no more gas pain, still feel weak. Today I did good meeting all my goals. Protein 64, Water 48-56. Leaking how to make the full liquids more filling and good. Thanks you all for sharing, it helps when we need to refer somewhere with how we are getting through this. By the Grace of God, I don’t feel Hungary all the time just eat what I need too. I hope it’s always like this.

Hi All, today is my 6th day after surgery, no more gas pain, still feel weak. Today I did good meeting all my goals. Protein 64, Water 48-56. Leaking how to make the full liquids more filling and good. Thanks you all for sharing, it helps when we need to refer somewhere with how we are getting through this. By the Grace of God, I don’t feel Hungary all the time just eat what I need too. I hope it’s always like this.

9 minutes ago, Nissi88 said:

Good to hear you're doing well.

Protein is your friend. Unflavored protein to broth and strained Soups is helpful to get full. It's not always the best tasting. In my program I was allowed to add seasoning to my food as tolerated. That may help with the flavor (just nothing with chunks yet).