Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain after surgery?

Thanks for sharing, helps to understand what to expect. Did you stay in hospital overnight? My surgery 8/23.

35 minutes ago, Nissi88 said:

Thanks for sharing, helps to understand what to expect. Did you stay in hospital overnight? My surgery 8/23.

Yes I had surgery on 8/16. My appointment was for 530a.m, I got into the surgery room at 7:15a.m. because it took the nurses an hour to setup iv/pic line due to my deep veins. (Used to it)

Now waking up from surgety was little difficult around 10ish, but pain medication took any pain away quickly. Idid have a hard time getting my breathing under control due to deviate septum I suppose. (Next fix) I might have been on to many pain medication so that could been reason for hard to breath as well.

Next I got into my own hospital room at 300p.m. did some walking around during my stay get surgery air out. then got out hospital next day at 3p.m. so only a 24 hour stay.

I am home now and feel stiff in abdominal and incision pain when I move around, but it tolerable pain. I can easily drink my fluids which was a big concern for me. I can stay hydrated without a issue and can take pills easily. Being only 2 days out. I feel fine.

Feel free ask any questions here, and excited for your suegety 8/23 Wednesday like myself.

On 8/11/2023 at 11:32 AM, LindsayT said:

Ya, the extras you mentioned are expensive. The Protein alone is pricey. I hoping to get my Protein from food more than the protein supplements soon. It's just hard to make goal. I try to look at the expense of better food as an investment in myself and my family.

But eating out IS way cheaper. I don't drink and my husband and I split a meal when we do go out...which isn't often anymore.

Like you said though, TOTALLY worth it.

I LOVE to cook, I'm not a chef or don't do "fancy" cooking, I'm from New Orleans and lived in FL & AL so I do Cajun and Country foods mostly. My husband and I spent a lot of years on the road for work and really got burned out on restaurant foods plus we live in a small town (we literally do not have any fast food restaurants here, only 2 cafe's open for Breakfast and lunch and close at 2 pm)so cooking is an essential unless we want to drive 20+ minutes to go get something. I see the amount people spend on social media for restaurant food and I'm usually shocked, I am pretty frugal and just can't see wasting that much on junk food that I am usually disappointed in. So most of our meals are eaten at home unless we're out for dr or other kinds of appointments and have to grab while out (then I look for deals/coupons, lol)

That said...one of only "date nights" is when we go out to dinner once or sometimes twice a month or grab Domino's and hit the drive-in movie theater so I'm thinking to myself, this is really going to put a damper on what social activities we do manage...

Yes, we will save some money on restaurants I suppose but I'm also seeing that much of the expenses people think they will have they may not actually be required??? I'm drinking a clear protein about every other day until I can start pureed foods Monday after my 2nd post-op appt. I've never been a big fan of drinking my calories, don't much care for sweet drinks and drink Water with lemon or iced tea most of the time.

What other expenses am I missing?

2 hours ago, PennyinAL said:

I LOVE to cook, I'm not a chef or don't do "fancy" cooking, I'm from New Orleans and lived in FL & AL so I do Cajun and Country foods mostly. My husband and I spent a lot of years on the road for work and really got burned out on restaurant foods plus we live in a small town (we literally do not have any fast food restaurants here, only 2 cafe's open for Breakfast and lunch and close at 2 pm)so cooking is an essential unless we want to drive 20+ minutes to go get something. I see the amount people spend on social media for restaurant food and I'm usually shocked, I am pretty frugal and just can't see wasting that much on junk food that I am usually disappointed in. So most of our meals are eaten at home unless we're out for dr or other kinds of appointments and have to grab while out (then I look for deals/coupons, lol)

That said...one of only "date nights" is when we go out to dinner once or sometimes twice a month or grab Domino's and hit the drive-in movie theater so I'm thinking to myself, this is really going to put a damper on what social activities we do manage...

Yes, we will save some money on restaurants I suppose but I'm also seeing that much of the expenses people think they will have they may not actually be required??? I'm drinking a clear Protein about every other day until I can start pureed foods Monday after my 2nd post-op appt. I've never been a big fan of drinking my calories, don't much care for sweet drinks and drink Water with lemon or iced tea most of the time.

What other expenses am I missing?

Protein supplement are pretty important until you can begin eating your protein requirements. You should be shooting for a minimum of 70g of protein per day.

10 minutes ago, LindsayT said:

Protein supplement are pretty important until you can begin eating your protein requirements. You should be shooting for a minimum of 70g of protein per day.

I have asked the question earlier about protein intake and was given the answer to ask my nutritionist but I don’t have one. Not being difficult but why does it seem like the protein intake recommended seems excessive? I understand that with bypass surgery you may not absorb the full amount of nutrients but CDC recommends something like 35 grams per day for a woman, and I understand that under normal circumstances the body can only absorb no more than around 25-30g at one meal yet I’m seeing some women say they’re aiming for 100-130 grams per day! That seems like a lot of protein and calories…what’s the deal? What am I missing?

2 minutes ago, PennyinAL said:

I have asked the question earlier about Protein intake and was given the answer to ask my nutritionist but I don’t have one. Not being difficult but why does it seem like the protein intake recommended seems excessive? I understand that with bypass surgery you may not absorb the full amount of nutrients but CDC recommends something like 35 grams per day for a woman, and I understand that under normal circumstances the body can only absorb no more than around 25-30g at one meal yet I’m seeing some women say they’re aiming for 100-130 grams per day! That seems like a lot of protein and calories…what’s the deal? What am I missing?

This may help answer questions. I also suggest a dietitian who is knowledgeable with WLS

https://www.pennmedicine.org/updates/blogs/metabolic-and-bariatric-surgery-blog/2018/march/make-protein-a-priority-after-weight-loss-surgery

10 minutes ago, LindsayT said:

Thanks

it’s saying 60-80 so if you’re not absorbing 30-40 percent makes sense. But you had me at reducing the sagging skin! That’s been one of my biggest fears is that I will look much older after I lose weight. I remember a lady I knew who lost weight and her face looked so different and just dropped 😢. Unless I have issues I don’t think I’ll have a problem with getting that much, 3 servings of Greek yogurt is good 👍

Tonight been pretty bad nonstop burping.

On 7/27/2023 at 6:33 PM, BabySpoons said:

I had a pretty good amount of pain week 1 but then I was in surgery for 4 hours for RNY and a large hernia repair. The pulling sensation was the worst at my right incision site mainly when I transitioned from lying to sitting or sitting to standing. Even at week 2.

I sipped on my liquid Oxy that first week and when I ran out I called the pharmacy for a refill week 2. I was told I needed a doc to do that so called him and was told by his nurse they don't normally refill that medication. I was like OK, I'll survive.

I guess I didn't realize from the labeling (Hydrocod Acetaminophen) what I was asking for till I googled it. Oxy. I felt bad then for asking for more. After that, I never used anything else for pain. In fact I still have a tad bit of that liquid oxy left over if ever needed in the future.

I'm guessing if I hadn't had the hernia repair I wouldn't have needed it at all. Like a superwoman ;)

I also had a hernia repaired this seems to be where my pain is coming from I’m now 6 days post op going strong I have taken a few of the pain meds but trying not to take much cause I don’t want to be dependent on them so I take Tylenol in between I was thinking of trying a muscle relaxer as well cause my back, shoulders and stomach muscles ache

Glad to hear you are going strong at 6 days @Sandygal. Week two should get better for you. Not sure about muscle relaxers for pain. Never used them. But back and shoulder pain is usually caused from trapped gas after surgery. You might be better to walk it off.

When telling my doctor about the pain from that right incision, he said it was a deeper stitch and is normal to feel it more than the other 5. I told him I was afraid of ripping it out. He assured me it was stronger than I thought and not to worry. I have a pretty good pain threshold so knowing I wasn't damaging anything while moving around was a relief.

Also hold a pillow up against your stomach when transitioning from lying to sitting and sitting to standing. Takes the pressure off the tummy muscles and really helped till I got past the first couple weeks of discomfort.

Good luck!!!

I got a few questions below:

How much Protein do you intake a day?

What do you drink or eat to get the protein?

How long since surgery?

I am hitting 60g protein a day.

I drink two premier 30g Protein Drink per day.

5 days out.

I am averaging about 80g Protein per day and I am as of today 19 weeks post-op.

I still have a Protein Shake most days, but it's in the form of a Proffee. I will either use a Core Power or Nutrition Plan shake as my milk mixed with espresso or have a Chike iced protein coffee packet and mix with part Water, part Fairlife skim milk. I also like to add a scoop of collagen. So it's 30g+ of protein to start the day.

Midday there is usually some version of eggs and/or cheese somewhere in the 12g of protein range or an Oikos Triple Zero or Oikos Pro yogurt which is 15-20g. Lately I have been adding some blueberries and Catalina Crunch Cereal in yogurt for texture which adds another few grams of protein.

dinner is almost always some form of protein and veggie. Grilled chicken, ground turkey/chicken/extra lean ground beef, tuna pouch, chicken burger. I like to make cottage cheese bowls, so maybe some turkey taco meat and mix w cottage cheese and some low fat mexican cheese blend, lettuce, tomatoes and some salsa. I even mix my tuna with cottage cheese and have it with sliced cucumber and tomatoes. The portion of meat can range depending on the way it's cooked and what else I'm mixing in, but I can manage 3.5 ozs or up to 4oz of a protein.

I can't seem to manage 5 small meals so it usually lands around 3-4 small meals/snacks. Depending on the day my restriction doesn't leave me wanting to have a lot of solid food. If I'm coming up a little short and don't want to eat more, I will drink some Protein2O protein water.

I do also love the Quest Protein chips - my #1 is now the Spicy Sweet Chili flavor. I keep them around for days I either don't want to eat something heavier or when I'm with friends and they are having the regular chips. They pack 19g protein a bag.

Edited by Shanna NYC
I was one week off

6 hours ago, Mike.J.Y said:

I got a few questions below:

How much Protein do you intake a day?

What do you drink or eat to get the Protein?

How long since surgery?

I am hitting 60g protein a day.

I drink two premier 30g Protein Drink per day.

5 days out.

I'm almost 4 months out (September 1 will be 4 months).

I don't like eating breakfast, so I still do a protein supplement then. I like the Bariatric Pal Protein Shots which have 25g protein. You can find them in the Bariatric Pal Store, and i think Amazon, if you're interested. They are 3 oz shots, but i add them to 4 or more oz of Water because they are tart on their own. I asked my nutritionist about them vs the other protein supplements out there and he was okay with them.

I normally get 60-80g of protein per day, sometimes more dependingon the day and how hungry i am that day. I usually have high protein yogurt, a variety of lean animal protein, reduced fat cheese, hummus or vegetable Proteins throughout the day. I mix this up each day for variety. If I'm going to be short my goal, I'll do another protein shot.

For you, if your program allows, you can have strained Soups and add unflavored Protein Powder to them to get a variety of flavor besides primer protein. And once you're on puree, you can add protein powder to those meals as well. I needed variety and most protein supplements tasted awful to me.

Are you working to get your fluid goals in too? In the early days, and even now, I feel like I am drinking ALL day. At 5 days, don't feel pressured to hit all your goals each day because you're still pretty swollen from surgery at this point, just work on getting there. You Protein Drinks count towards this and it's great you're able to get two in.

Hydration, protein, and your Vitamins and supplements are so important. If I remember you had the sleeve, so I'm not sure what long term vitamins and supplements look like for you, but for now, make sure you're taking them each day as your doctor or nutritionist suggests. For RNY folks, those are for life.

How are you feeling?

Thank you both for your responses. I had the Bypass on 8/16/2023 it been a week. Right now I am dealing with fatigue but hitting all goals 64oz and 70g Protein with issues now. Just tired I need to push myself to move around more. When did your energy improve ? What stage week?

3 hours ago, Mike.J.Y said:

Thank you both for your responses. I had the Bypass on 8/16/2023 it been a week. Right now I am dealing with fatigue but hitting all goals 64oz and 70g Protein with issues now. Just tired I need to push myself to move around more. When did your energy improve ? What stage week?

That's great you're meeting your goals.

Energy, for me, improved when I started eating soft foods, around week 4 and consuming a bit more calories. It's hard to have energy with 300-400 calories a day. Now, I average about 700-800 calories per day and have loads more energy between that and exercising and getting the weight off. It takes a lot to move around a bunch of extra weight.

It's important to keep moving. Walk daily, if you can, to improve your stamina. And once the doctor clears you, start adding weights to build muscle. Muscle loss can be a big issue with WLS because your body is trying to find an energy/food source. The goal is for your body to consume the fat for energy. You're not required to be the next body builder or get a gym membership (you can if you want 😊). Walking, biking, hiking, home exercises, and stretching are sufficient. Just keep your body moving and your heart pumping.