Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain after surgery?

10 hours ago, Mike.J.Y said:

you all like saving the extra money you used to spend on going out to eat?

Funny as I was thinking that. It's not even just food, but more so drinks on my part, lol. My bill could easily be $150 one night out and now maybe $30 with leftovers to boot. I will say Uber Eats misses me.

But then I turn around and the cost of Protein Shakes, Vitamins, Protein Water etc does add up. Even better foods - hearts of palm Pasta over standard carbs, extra lean beef, low carb cereals cost so much more.

It kinda balances out and it's always worth it.

18 minutes ago, Shanna NYC said:

Funny as I was thinking that. It's not even just food, but more so drinks on my part, lol. My bill could easily be $150 one night out and now maybe $30 with leftovers to boot. I will say Uber Eats misses me.

But then I turn around and the cost of Protein Shakes, Vitamins, Protein Water etc does add up. Even better foods - hearts of palm Pasta over standard carbs, extra lean beef, low carb cereals cost so much more.

It kinda balances out and it's always worth it.

Ya, the extras you mentioned are expensive. The Protein alone is pricey. I hoping to get my protein from food more than the protein supplements soon. It's just hard to make goal. I try to look at the expense of better food as an investment in myself and my family.

But eating out IS way cheaper. I don't drink and my husband and I split a meal when we do go out...which isn't often anymore.

Like you said though, TOTALLY worth it.

12 hours ago, Mike.J.Y said:

I think my bill will go down 1k a month at the minimum.

Wow, that will be quite the savings for you. What you going to do with all that extra money??? LOL

I was doing OMAD (one meal a day) and Keto for the last couple years without much luck. So I wasn't getting takeout very often. Except on Chinese Fridays.

I bought a side of beef from a local farmer and filled up my freezer pre-op, so I should be set now for a good long time, Protein wise. Grilled steak is still a struggle to eat. But cooked in the Instapot with beef broth and veggies (Swiss steak for example) works well for me. Along with roasts and lean hamburger in various dishes. Soups are still my friend so looking forward to cooler Fall weather.

I allow an occasional carb. Potatoes, corn on the cob, baked Beans, low carb tortillas but for the most part, meat and veggies are my mantra. Oh and low fat dairy.

So yeah, I spent my food savings ahead of time on the moo cow > :215_cow:

On 7/27/2023 at 6:33 PM, BabySpoons said:

I had a pretty good amount of pain week 1 but then I was in surgery for 4 hours for RNY and a large hernia repair. The pulling sensation was the worst at my right incision site mainly when I transitioned from lying to sitting or sitting to standing. Even at week 2.

I had a hernia repair, too. I'm 4 days out from surgery, but that first and second day were horrible. I truly hope to never experience a sore diaphragm again.

1 hour ago, BeanitoDiego said:

I truly hope to never experience a sore diaphragm again.

Did they not send you home with any pain meds??? I can't imagine how mine would have felt if I had none. Ouch!!! Glad you are through the worst of it.

But....in the end it's all worth it. My doctor told me after he repaired the Hiatal hernia that he stitched my diaphragm smaller. I wonder if that's what they did with you ??

So, between having the RNY and repairs, I haven't had any more episodes of GERD. "Knock on wood."

2 hours ago, BabySpoons said:

Did they not send you home with any pain meds??? I can't imagine how mine would have felt if I had none. Ouch!!! Glad you are through the worst of it.

But....in the end it's all worth it. My doctor told me after he repaired the Hiatal hernia that he stitched my diaphragm smaller. I wonder if that's what they did with you ??

So, between having the RNY and repairs, I haven't had any more episodes of GERD. "Knock on wood."

Oh yeah, I was definitely sent home with pain meds, and then have the okay to take 500mg Tylenol in between those doses. I do know that the hole in the diaphragm was stitched smaller to keep the hiatal hernia in check. The surgeon told me that all of the pulling on the diaphragm was the cause of the pain. The pain would radiate out into my shoulders and neck. A very crazy feeling. Simply breathing was painful. Breathing is much easier today, and I'm grateful for that!

Hope that the GERD stays in check for you! "Knocks on wood," too.

35 minutes ago, BeanitoDiego said:

Breathing is much easier today, and I'm grateful for that!

Glad to hear that! And 4 days out from surgery. Every day will get better for you.

37 minutes ago, BeanitoDiego said:

I do know that the hole in the diaphragm was stitched smaller to keep the hiatal hernia in check.

Yeah, doc told me 10% of my stomach was pushing up into my chest. No wonder I had almost daily bouts of reflux and couldn't breathe to do anything. I'm grateful as well. If I hadn't decided to have the surgery that hernia may never have been found.

Two days away for my surgery! I have couple questions if you all don't mind answering.

1st Questions: How long did it take for you to get back to work?

Job Type:

2nd Did you think you needed more or less time?

How Long:

5 minutes ago, Mike.J.Y said:

Job Type:

How Long:

Yay! Just 2 days away. I’m excited for you.

I was out of work for about 3 weeks. Surgery was 4/11, first day back to work was 5/1. I am an admin assistant just doing clerical work so the actual physical part of work wasn’t so much an issue, but the commuting was more the concern. (NYC subway stairs and a mile walk from subway to office plus w laptop and all hydration/protein essentials).

When I did return to work, I did so remotely for another couple weeks and then slowly went back to commuting in 1 day, 2 days, then ultimately back to my 3 days in office.

I think if I drove to work, then the 3 weeks would have been pretty sufficient time off as it was. I already work hybrid, but I was grateful to have the remote work option available for that extended time.

13 minutes ago, Mike.J.Y said:

Two days away for my surgery! I have couple questions if you all don't mind answering.

Job Type:

How Long:

After surgery, I was EXHAUSTED for several weeks. If you can get through being tired 24/7, I would say you could go back after a week as long as your job doest require lifting, a lot of physical activity, and you're off the pain medication. You also need to be able to drink your fluids ALL DAY. It really comes down to your specific job and required work. Maybe speak to your management about what work you can do if your job is more physically demanding

With that said, to specifically answer your questions. I take care of my home and children, so I don't actually have a paying job, but the work is just as demanding. I couldn't lift anything over 15lbs per my surgical team until 6 weeks post op. I started to feel more like myself around week 3-4.

Thank You both for your answers I really appreciate them.

I finally got an exact date and time couple minutes ago 8/16/2023 5:30a.m.

Hopefully the preop is not super long wait with early appointment sometimes those waits can be long.

Last Question before surgery...

How was your pre op?

Did they do more blood work ? Drug Test?

How long you have to wait before operation started?

Did you stay a night? If so how many days?

I know pack a bag...

I am ready just curious what to expect tomorrow morning. Thank You

I have to say I had a great hospital experience overall and we all know that isn't always the case.

My surgery was scheduled for 10am so I was expected to arrive at 8am to check in. Filled in paperwork and all that jazz. Was in the waiting room not terribly long before calling me in. Got the all the vitals checked - weight, BP, Oxygen, if I'm not mistaken I did have blood drawn (and pee test for pregnancy which won't apply to you, lol). I then was instructed to how everything was going to go, made sure all my backups were secured ie emergency contact and discharge expectations. I was given a few pills to swallow - I believe a tylenol and toradol? and a small bottle of Water to drink it down. I got to change into my gown and all and was then wheeled in to the pre-op room. A bazillion nurses and staff will be sure to keep asking you the same questions just to be sure you know why your there. The hard part for me was getting my IV in as they always have trouble locating good veins. It took about 3-4 tries before they got it. My surgery was slightly delayed since the person prior to me had a delay, but not by a terribly long time. I think I was rolled into the OR about 1 hour later. I don't fully recall when I woke up in PACU, but I think I was in my overnight room by at least 5pm ish. I spent only 1 overnight and was discharged by noon the following day.

I wouldn't go too crazy packing too much. Especially for the time you are going, you can leave in the same clothes you go to the hospital with. Just be sure it's something comfy and not too tight in the belly. Phone and charger (possibly a tablet if you're so inclined) and lip balm as you will get dry lips. Nearly everything else is provided to you that you'd need. I took a few more things and needed none of it. I was so tired that I couldn't concentrate on much except to nap when i could between the nurse and doctor check ins and the trips to the bathroom - for someone who couldn't drink anything for the rest of that night, that IV did it's job.

Feel free to ask away anything else. You definitely got this!

I have to say I had a great hospital experience overall and we all know that isn't always the case.

My surgery was scheduled for 10am so I was expected to arrive at 8am to check in. Filled in paperwork and all that jazz. Was in the waiting room not terribly long before calling me in. Got the all the vitals checked - weight, BP, Oxygen, if I'm not mistaken I did have blood drawn (and pee test for pregnancy which won't apply to you, lol). I then was instructed to how everything was going to go, made sure all my backups were secured ie emergency contact and discharge expectations. I was given a few pills to swallow - I believe a tylenol and toradol? and a small bottle of Water to drink it down. I got to change into my gown and all and was then wheeled in to the pre-op room. A bazillion nurses and staff will be sure to keep asking you the same questions just to be sure you know why your there. The hard part for me was getting my IV in as they always have trouble locating good veins. It took about 3-4 tries before they got it. My surgery was slightly delayed since the person prior to me had a delay, but not by a terribly long time. I think I was rolled into the OR about 1 hour later. I don't fully recall when I woke up in PACU, but I think I was in my overnight room by at least 5pm ish. I spent only 1 overnight and was discharged by noon the following day.

I wouldn't go too crazy packing too much. Especially for the time you are going, you can leave in the same clothes you go to the hospital with. Just be sure it's something comfy and not too tight in the belly. Phone and charger (possibly a tablet if you're so inclined) and lip balm as you will get dry lips. Nearly everything else is provided to you that you'd need. I took a few more things and needed none of it. I was so tired that I couldn't concentrate on much except to nap when i could between the nurse and doctor check ins and the trips to the bathroom - for someone who couldn't drink anything for the rest of that night, that IV did it's job.

Feel free to ask away anything else. You definitely got this!

29 minutes ago, Mike.J.Y said:

Last Question before surgery...

How was your pre op?

Did they do more blood work ? Drug Test?

How long you have to wait before operation started?

Did you stay a night? If so how many days?

I know pack a bag...

I am ready just curious what to expect tomorrow morning. Thank You

Pre op for me was great. They started an IV and took blood and urine to do a pregnancy and nicotine test (not sure what else they tested for)

It was about 2.5-3 hours before they wheeled me back.They gave me drugs during pre op after I signed consents, spoke with the doctor and anesthesia. I don't even remember being wheeled back. That is probably hospital specific.

After surgery you won't be able to drink anything and not anything the next day until after your leak test.

I stayed 2 nights (for a total of 3 days) and was able to leave late afternoon.

Couple things. Walk walk walk as soon as you can. It helps with the gas. Also, when you are able to drink, work on getting your fluids in.

Best of luck tomorrow!