Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dayton Ohio Bandster

Hello to the Dayton Area Bandsters from the Columbus group. Wanted to extend an invite to come up to Columbus at Tuttle Mall for a shopping trip and see the bariatric style show being put on by Mt. Carmel Hospital's Bariatric Center and to meet the group of fun loving, hard working (diet and exercise-wise) bandsters in Columbus. The meeting is posted on a separate thread in the Ohio forum thread and we'll have a BIG BUTTERFLY BALLOON marking where we are sitting and we'll put some nametags on so you can translate from our screen names to real names. If you need an excuse to get away for shopping what better excuse that the support of friends! Take care.

Kathy

Hi gang,

I am new to the group. Was banded by Dr. Bruce in April 08. Got a question if anyone cares to answer...I have been banded, as I said, since April, got my first fill end of May. Since I've been reading, it appears that I spent a lot of time in Bandster Heck not feeling any restriction, even after the fill. To date, I have lost about 25 lbs. since the 7th of April. I have been good about not drinking when eating and following the 15 mins before and the 30 mins after rule to wait for any sort of beverage. Have had no issues, other than I think I should be loosing more weight.

However, today, I had a new experience. I am on a business trip, and of course, there is always a "walking" vendor/food dinner reception. I took the plate that was offered to me and began my tour of vendors (and, please don't comment on the type of food I ate, we can deal with that later :thumbs_up:. On my plate was a small oat/wheat roll with sliced BBQ, to which I added a bit of BBQ Sauce (picture the size of a raquetball for diameter), also had a spoonful of polenta, and three strawberries. All seemed to be going fine. Finished my plate after several walk arounds of the vendors. Then I spotted some sweet potatoes, mashed to the point of almost liquid. The chef handed me a small cup to which I sprinkled a bit of bacon. I took one bite and knew in an instant it was wrong. Ended up in the ladies room, and did what I guess was a PB -- first time. Bad feeling -- was sweating, and felt shaky. Only thing that came up was that bite of sweet potatoes and bacon.

Is it possible that my band has finally settled and there is real restriction, or did I just blow it with the actual food choices?

I have had the same experience lately. I have 5.5 cc in a 10cc band. I have been experiencing the exact same thing. I kind of figure it's because my stomach is full, but I have eaten too fast to know that. Therefore, it seems like what doesn't fit comes back up. It has actually been happening to me quite a bit lately. I was banded in March and have had 4 fills. I felt some restriction after the 2nd fill too. I am interested to see what some other longer term bandsters have to comment on this. I got my last fill on Monday 6/9 and havent even been hungry enough to eat dinner the last 2 nights. It seems like my stomach stays full for about 6 or 7 hours after eating now. Does that sound normal for being in the green zone???

Okay well here it goes....Levi and Ohio girl, I believe you PB'd but not because you ate bad food, but our bands are very paticular. My band can't even handle bacon, it also can't stand ketchup, or many other things like deviled eggs. The other thing is if I eats solid food and then follow it by something like potatoes that go straight through your band it makes my stomach unhappy. Don't ask me why... It happens every time I have eaten potatoes, but our bands are very different. The potatoes maybe like Fluid going through the band, so the combination of solids and mushies. Dr. Bruce is very nice he does all of my fills. You may not completely be restricted but your band is trying to talk to you. My band has taught me a lot of weird things like when I am upset my food will not go down, then I can't eat very fast. I can't eat early in the morning and I can eat a little more at night. When I am getting ready to start my cycle my band is snug and I can't eat very much. You will get restricted at some point also you will learn more

about your band! Good job following the rules with the eating and drinking. What kind of food are you eating were you eating before your trip? Are you also staying away from the breads, pasta's, and rice? I have 6.5cc's in my 10cc band. I have lost 104lbs so far but even I have my difficult moments. We all have bad days. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Jess30, good info. I am still learning the ropes, but thought I was doing pretty good. The rest of the trip, I have not been able to eat much and trying to keep getting in all of my liquids. bread has been my biggest issue, and I have pretty much stayed away from Pasta as much as possible, knowing that it could be a problem. I go back to see Dr. Bruce later this month for my 2nd fill -- I am hoping for a little more restriction, but at least now I know that this is not an experience I want to repeat!

So would you say you have good restriction now? Are you only able to keep down fluids? I am debating on a fill. I am trying to learn how to just keep myself busy and not eat, but I find myself snacking a bit too much. I have been really stressed lately and it seems like no food will stay down except food I shouldn't be eating. So my nerves are totally working against me right now. I never eat a whole lot but just more frequent....SO I need to make some better choices and exercise more. Well good luck if you need anything email me. If your local and in the area, I am looking to do a big bandster lunch somewhere where we can all meet up...I am thinking around July or August.....Hopefully...

I don't go to a lot of the support group meetings because of my schedule atleast for the band that is but would love to meet others! Take care!

Thanks Jess30 -- I have more restriction right now than I have ever had, but probably because it is that time of the month. I was filled about two and half weeks ago and can't say that I really felt any difference after the fill than before until this past week. I have another fill coming up in July, so I hope to feel more then. The other thing I also read was that sometimes, it takes your band a little time to catch up with the fill??? Other than it kicks in eventually, I don't really understand it, but would be happy if that were the case.

As of today, I hit a new low so, if nothing else, this last week has really helped, even with traveling and eating non-standard items. For me, I think the no liquids during meals has been a big help for my body overall -- I used to drink a lot during meals. I've also significantly decreased in take, but didn't feel like I was really doing very well as of late.

As for a luncheon -- that sounds like fun. I have been to one support group meeting, but golf during the time that it usually meets, so I had hoped to get back in the grove in the fall. Thanks for your help!

Yeah, I agree with that statement that sometimes the band plays catch up with the fill. Well I hope it gets better you can get to your sweet spot. There is nothing better than that! Well Hopefully some others will chime in and we could set a date for the luncheon..Okay well take care and keep us posted on your progress!!!:)

Edited by Jess30

Hey everyone :) I live in Dayton, glad I spotted this thread. I am not banded yet. I would love to meet some activity buddies who have been banded or are on their way. Does anyone know of a good support group in Dayton that I could maybe visit for a meeting or two?

Hi guys. It's been a while since i've posted. ...Just dropping a line to tell you i'm still here.

Well, welcome Natasha Z and hey annie!! We miss you! Natasha, I think Kettering has a support group for the Bypass and the band. There is also a group that meets in Dayton, but I am not for sure the location. You can find the site on Dayton Bariatrics Website. You could also ask your surgeon if your planning on being banded or check local sites who provide support groups by googling bariatric surgeons in Dayton.

I usually attend the ladies fitness center in Huber Heights!! I also love to play tennis! I am not any good but I try!! LOL! I also love volley ball and know right where some good volleyball sandlots are, if we could get atleast six people interested!! Okay well I am hanging on for dear life with my weight loss. I scheduled for a fill, but it's not till August which seems like an eternity. I am hoping to get some more weight off by hitting the gym and doing my clinical rounds for three weeks!! Okay take care you all! Be strong and fight the food temptations!! I know I struggle in this too!

Hi guys. It's been a while since i've posted. ...Just dropping a line to tell you i'm still here.

Hi Annie - I too had dropped off the radar for a while, but still lurk & read what's going on.

I wanted to let you know that I've lost enough weigh to finally fit into the Denim Skirt & the Black/White slacks you gave me a while back! Thanks Girl!

I can now give my size 22's to my Mom (who also had the band & has lost 50 lbs).

I hope all is going well for you. Sounds like Jess30 is doing fantastic also!

Keep up the good work gals!

Judy

My name is Debbie and I am from the Warren County area. Started this process in February at Springboro with Dr. Schofield. Missed a follow up due to personal reasons and they made me start the 3 month diet tracking from the beginning. YEAH! Anyway I was finally three weeks from completing the 3 month tracking when I found out the Center was closing. Luckily Dr. Teel from Miami Valley agreed to accept everything done at Springboro and sent the paperwork to Aetna. Just found out on the 29th (my birthday) that I was approved and now have a Surgery date for September 9th.

The only problem now is I feel that I might be missing out on somethings they start with their patients or inform their patients that I missed by starting in Springboro.

Also I am now catching myself eating more than normal because I might not be able to eat it ever again...

I am excited, happy, but also scared, and nervous. Any words of wisdom?

Anyone else had Dr. Teel?

HI all! I just joined a couple of days ago. I am 2 weeks post op and am down almost 20 lbs already. I am in Beavercreek and had my surgery on base. We have a support goup that meets once a month but would like to be able to chat more. If anyone likes to chat let me know would love to talk to anyone in the area. Also when I am cleared to go in the pool I plan on doing Water aerobics at the Beavercreek YMCA If anyone is interested in joining me, It would be nice to have someone to go with. Hope you to hear from someone soon!

Kim