Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super happy but a bit confused

I started this journey at 290. I'm six months out from gastric bypass and now weigh 196. The doctor says my goal weight is 160 which means 36lbs to go.The last time I remember being under 200 was when my 20 year old daughter was like 1 or 2. My personal goal is to be at 160 by my birthday in the beginning of October and am working hard to hit that.

I was in 19/20 pants and a 2/3x top.

Now I am in a 8/10 pants and medium shirt.

The thing that confuses me is at 185 when my daughter was little I wore a size 10 but I fit into my 10s starting at 210lb. I just don't know how that works. Don't get me wrong I happy about the fact that my jeans are an 8 and a medium top but not sure how it works

Sent from my SM-A716U using BariatricPal mobile app

Its a tough one, but at least for me, I am 5 1/2 months post gastic bypass, so we are around the same time :)

I think I am loosing some of mu build, I was doing some weight lifting before surgery and now train twice a week, and I can lift soo much less than before surgery. Granted I lost 122 pounds, but it means a lot of it was muscle. Also you have skin that stretched and now weight at least 7-8 pounds more than before. So a 210 can be more like a 200 of the old you before your skin ever stretched, I hope this makes any sense !! Good luck!

I am not sure if it is true or not, but I had the same thought about men's clothing and really wonder if the clothing manufacturers have not screwed around with the sizing to make people feel like they fit into smaller clothing. There are people out there who will not buy clothing just because they do not like the number of the size they fit in. It may be some of that psychological BS going around where a 10 years ago may be an 8 now based on the obsession with sizing and being smaller.

If they are more expensive brands then that explains it. I am always at least one size smaller in more expensive brands.

I refuse to spend a money on clothes because I'm changing sizes so fast. Old navy and target are as expensive as I get and only on sale Walmart mostly. But maybe the size thing is there too along with the extra skin and my tummy being squishier.

Sent from my SM-A716U using BariatricPal mobile app

Clothing sizing has absolutely changed over the years. I am roughly the same weight now as I was in high school, but definitely NOT the same size. Additionally the size I'm wearing now fits completely different than it did the last time I was this size! I try really hard not to get too caught up in sizes. They are so arbitrary! It can be a little bit of a mind game.

Clothing sizes suck, particularly women's. I just went shopping and fit into a women's large at Coach with room. Then I tried on an XL at Columbia and couldn't get the damn thing to zip! What a world!

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

Look at the variety of women’s body shapes. Long or short waisted, large or small breasts, higher or lower waist to hip ratio, broader or narrower shoulders, length of legs, … How can we expect a set of standardised measurements & sizes to fit every body shape perfectly? But we do.

Clothing sizes are erratic even within the same brand. Some of it relates to the cut & style of the clothing. I’m an Australian size 6 in skinny jeans but a 4 in wide legged jeans. There’s even discrepancies in the same item of clothing in the same size which I think has to do with mass production. It’s one of the reasons I dislike buying clothing online - it’s a crap shoot around sizing even with ‘size guides’.

Also sizes have changed over the years - they’ve subtly got larger. Some of it’s for vanity including the I weigh 20lbs more but am still a size 10 so I must be ok type of vanity. Vanity is why US sizes now have size 0 & 2. I also remember reading an article a few years ago about bra sizes being adjusted to allow for more women going to the gym & their backs getting broader from doing weights.

I always find it amusing that I’m generally an Australian size 6 in pants, dresses, shirts, etc. but wear size 10 knickers. There’s no consistency.

You may find this article an interesting read.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/juliegerstein/heres-why-your-size-is-different-at-every-store-you-go-to

On 5/18/2022 at 9:21 PM, fourmonthspreop said:

Clothing sizes suck, particularly women's. I just went shopping and fit into a women's large at Coach with room. Then I tried on an XL at Columbia and couldn't get the damn thing to zip! What a world!

Columbia runs notoriously small compared to other brands. I wear a M in LL Bean and most other brands and a L in Columbia. And I've always been one size bigger in Columbia than other brands, whatever size. I love their fleeces tho!

Columbia runs notoriously small compared to other brands. I wear a M in LL Bean and most other brands and a L in Columbia. And I've always been one size bigger in Columbia than other brands, whatever size. I love their fleeces tho!
Yeah it was tight! But the clothing thing is such a mind freak honestly. I am still wearing some of my old size 20 jeans but I also can buy jeans in non plus sizes too. Like I bought a regular 16 at h and m. I bpught a size 34 pair of jeans at buckle thinking itd be sooo tight and something to shrink into, but no it fits well. I don't understand it at all. I think part of it is loose skin. Like loose skin fits in bigger clothes but it can also be completely squished down in smaller sized clothing. I don't know. Women's sizing is not the best way to indicate weight loss although I've loved getting rid of all my tent sized shirts and baggy jeans.

I always wore wide leg trousers and hated them. Massive to Iron and flapping about my ankles when worn. Now I wear tight to my leg tapered trousers and feel so good in them.

Welcome to vanity sizing! It’s a phenomenon that’s been happening for decades. This article does pretty good job of explaining what’s happened.

For me, I personally love vintage 1950’s and 60’s clothes but also know that it’ll be rare for me to find pieces what will fit because of my measurements just not fitting those standards from the time.