Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August surgery buddies!

I feel you. I had my surgery on the 19th and was steadily losing every day and now for 2 days nothing. I am also afraid I'm never going to lose this weight. I started pureed foods yesterday and now I'm afraid I'm going to gain. I don't want to see my Dr in 4 weeks and have to feel like a failure.
I'm having the same thoughts! My doc did warn me about the 3 week stall so hopefully they'll be understanding and helpful.

Hi guys! For those of you struggling, I’m saying this as much for myself as for you. Be patient with yourselves and your bodies. Do what you know you have to and what you know is right and the rest will take care of itself. Get off the scale if its making you flustered. Focus on how your body feels and what your stomach is now telling you, so you can keep doing what’s right. Remember, today is the last day of the month, so even those of us who had surgery 8/1 are only now a month out, we’re still healing and learning. I believe in us August 2022 Buddies! I know we will help each other be successful. I myself am super nervous about today. And I have not weighed myself since halfway through my pre-op. So I have no idea what I am going to hear at my 1 week post-op. But even if its a gain or not a lot I still know I am going to succeed because I am prepared to! And I know you guys are the same! We got this! You can do this! We’re here for health and NSVs! The scale can suck it! [emoji1787] (for now, lets not go crazy, we still need some base measurements, lol. I hope you guys all took you inches too, so you’re measuring multiple things[emoji2]) But, We’re the MFing, ABs!! We can do this! Everyone who reads this pick up your water bottle and give your self a toast and a sip to Celebrate that you are here, you did this great thing for yourself and you will keep on moving! AND YOU (we) WILL SUCCEED, NO MATTER WHAT THE SCALE SAYS RIGHT NOW!! [emoji1320][emoji1320]
Thanks@karakent. [emoji3059] I needed to hear this!

On 8/30/2022 at 11:59 AM, Sunnyer said:

Is it normal to feel pain three weeks after gastric sleeve surgery? I have been relatively pain free after the first week, but today and yesterday I've had aches and pain in one of my incision sites and also in general around my midsection.

Is this normal, or should I have it looked at?

Something they didn't tell me (but they said they did tell me): about 10-14 days post-op you might feel intense pain on your left side. Like a pulling, twinging, sharp pain that gets worse when you bend over or try to sit or even move the wrong way. Totally different pain that the post-op pain. Apparently this is caused because all the swelling is gone and your stomach/intestines are no longer "cushioned" within that swelling so they move around a bit more and the internal stitches/incisions are moving around. Nothing to be worried about and completely normal (according to my office). But holy cats was it scary!!!! I thought FOR SURE something was wrong.

22 minutes ago, tranquil_chaos said:

Something they didn't tell me (but they said they did tell me): about 10-14 days post-op you might feel intense pain on your left side. Like a pulling, twinging, sharp pain that gets worse when you bend over or try to sit or even move the wrong way. Totally different pain that the post-op pain. Apparently this is caused because all the swelling is gone and your stomach/intestines are no longer "cushioned" within that swelling so they move around a bit more and the internal stitches/incisions are moving around. Nothing to be worried about and completely normal (according to my office). But holy cats was it scary!!!! I thought FOR SURE something was wrong.

I'm 22 days post op, but the pain is firmly in my left side, and it does get worse when I bend over or move in the wrong way. So quite possibly it's what you talk about. I wish the surgeons or the clinic / hospital would warn people about that. It is quite scary when you have a new kind of pain, all of a sudden, weeks after surgery.

Edited by Sunnyer

Hi, I had bypass 8/23. Day of surgery I was 273 then gained 3lbs during hospital stay. I am 7 days post op and I am 271. I am on liquid diet and following it very strict. Why am I not losing? Clothes feel the same and pictures look the same.

31 minutes ago, Dannyari said:

Hi, I had bypass 8/23. Day of surgery I was 273 then gained 3lbs during hospital stay. I am 7 days post op and I am 271. I am on liquid diet and following it very strict. Why am I not losing? Clothes feel the same and pictures look the same.

Your body is adjusting and you are still having swelling going down. You will see the change on the scale soon.

I haven't had the time to check anything since surgery day. Everything happened so fast! I was to report for check in at 9:30 and was wheeled to the OR at 11:30. I was in recovery for 2 hours waiting for a room. The gas pains were soooooo bad! It finally went away this afternoon after passing gas...lol

My liquid diet phase 1 is 64 ounces of regular Gatorade or 50/50 diluted juice and then after is broth, Jello, popsicles. That will be my diet for 7 days.

I had RnY on 2nd August. I lost a little over 32 pounds between the Liver reducing diet and a week or so post op. Then it massively slowed down and now I’ve been at a stall for over a week. It’s so disheartening, I’m terrified that I’m doing something wrong! 😩

I’m trying to research as much as possible, because I wasn’t really given anything to follow. But I’m under 500 calories per day and I believe I’m eating right. Perhaps not enough Protein though. It’s so overwhelming!

Hi folks, I'm new to this site. Gastric bypass on 8/23, doing really well so far. Gas pain really sucked but I'm past that, I'm up to the pureed stage. So far my pouch has tolerated 4 oz of pureed food quite well, no pain or obvious fullness so far. And I'm already able to drink lots of Water, easily getting 100+ oz in, plus 40 oz of herbal tea with no problems. Seems strange! And knocking Protein out of the park, easily hitting 100 g a day. I emailed my ND to get his feedback to see if that was too much.

I expected more restriction at this point. How's everyone else feeling restriction wise?

On 08/31/2022 at 20:02, ShelbyGeorge29 said:

Hi folks, I'm new to this site. Gastric bypass on 8/23, doing really well so far. Gas pain really sucked but I'm past that, I'm up to the pureed stage. So far my pouch has tolerated 4 oz of pureed food quite well, no pain or obvious fullness so far. And I'm already able to drink lots of Water, easily getting 100+ oz in, plus 40 oz of herbal tea with no problems. Seems strange! And knocking Protein out of the park, easily hitting 100 g a day. I emailed my ND to get his feedback to see if that was too much.

I expected more restriction at this point. How's everyone else feeling restriction wise?

Hi, same surgery and same date! I am still on the liquid diet tho for one more week per Dr’s order. I get about 60g of Protein daily and about 50oz of water/liquids. Feeling a bit frustrated because I have only lost about 1.5lb since surgery.

Sorry I haven't been on much lately but I had a setback and have been really taking it easy. About my 5th post-op I kept getting really bad wrenching cramps in my abdomen under my incisions. They sent me for a CT scan with the blue contrast dye and all that fun stuff. Come to find out I had a gas bubble in my pouch. Plus they had given me heartburn medicine to take for a month, but the directions weren't clear so I had not been taking it. Come to find out that the omeprazole (sp) was there to help with any kind of gas and whether or not I had heartburn. Once I started taking that again, the cramps went away and I could heal.
I was so scared I had done something wrong and messed up my surgery. Definitely not fun! But I'm down almost 40 pounds since I started this journey. I had a NSV yesterday - I was able to walk up the stairs in my home without feeling winded! What kind of non-scale victories have you had recently? [emoji3]
I have 32 pounds less since my surgery on the 12th. My non scale victories: I have ankles again (still chubby) but I can see them and my feet are not swolen even today that I'm pre-menstrual. My skinny jeans that used to "choke" my belly bottom goes all the way up to just under my boobs, my towel is less than an inch to cover me. Still struggling with the stairs and is because I haven't been able to eat 5 times a day or drink or the Protein they are telling me to drink (find all Protein Shakes discusting) and Dominican Republic don't have variety or food specifically for Bariatrics ( have to order stuff from amazon), so I cook everything.

Sent from my SM-N975U using BariatricPal mobile app

i never wore a binder and this incision has not hurt until yesterday. It's just so weird to get a new type of pain three weeks after the surgery.
I did email a nurse at the hospital, and she sent me a reply with more questions. I replied to her, but they're closed now. It's not acute pain, just a sting now and then, and when I lean forward etc. I don't have a fever or increased heartbeat, so it's probably not that serious.
I ask the same question to my doctor today, he says as long as it doesn't progress and change the characteristic of the pain/discomfort is part of the healing process in you abdomen and abdominal wall. My discomfort started last week, I'm able to sleep on the side and in my belly since day 5. Last week I went back to my apartment and work and my activity have increased

Sent from my SM-N975U using BariatricPal mobile app

52 minutes ago, Dannyari said:

Hi, same surgery and same date! I am still on the liquid diet tho for one more week per Dr’s order. I get about 60g of Protein daily and about 50oz of water/liquids. Feeling a bit frustrated because I have only lost about 1.5lb since surgery.

I feel you on the frustration, but really it's way too soon for either of us to get upset by our progress. It's just so hard when SuzyQ posts they lost 879lbs their first week (which is great) and we hope maybe it will happen for us too!

11 hours ago, karakent said:

Hi guys! For those of you struggling, I’m saying this as much for myself as for you. Be patient with yourselves and your bodies. Do what you know you have to and what you know is right and the rest will take care of itself. Get off the scale if its making you flustered. Focus on how your body feels and what your stomach is now telling you, so you can keep doing what’s right. Remember, today is the last day of the month, so even those of us who had surgery 8/1 are only now a month out, we’re still healing and learning. I believe in us August 2022 Buddies! I know we will help each other be successful. I myself am super nervous about today. And I have not weighed myself since halfway through my pre-op. So I have no idea what I am going to hear at my 1 week post-op. But even if its a gain or not a lot I still know I am going to succeed because I am prepared to! And I know you guys are the same! We got this! You can do this! We’re here for health and NSVs! The scale can suck it! 🤣 (for now, lets not go crazy, we still need some base measurements, lol. I hope you guys all took you inches too, so you’re measuring multiple things😃) But, We’re the MFing, ABs!! We can do this! Everyone who reads this pick up your water bottle and give your self a toast and a sip to Celebrate that you are here, you did this great thing for yourself and you will keep on moving! AND YOU (we) WILL SUCCEED, NO MATTER WHAT THE SCALE SAYS RIGHT NOW!! 💪🏻💪🏻

Thank you for that amazing pep talk!!!! I truly needed your beautiful words 🥰

I understand the frustration with not losing. I thought the first week or two would show a great bit of loss, but so far the scale is hovering between 296-298 fluctuating up and down. I’m only 5 days out so I guess it’s still Fluid retention from the surgery itself. I just really wanted to end out August under 290.

I know that it is nothing I am doing wrong. I’m walking every 4 hours, getting my Water in, I hit 60g of Protein today but have been averaging 40-50. Drinking shakes, eating yogurt, and still doing Clear Liquids. I track everything in Carb Manager. My calories haven’t gone above 400 all week. I’m following every instruction they gave me to the letter. So if I still haven’t lost by my post-op next week, at least I’ll have a log of everything I’m doing and eating to show them, so maybe they can help me figure out what I need to adjust.