Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August surgery buddies!

6 days post-op here, and after a really rough outside-the-bell-curve start, I've been doing quite well since getting home. Sure, pains here, aches there, but better each day. And the Water retention finally went down enough that after nearly a week, I'm back down to just under my weight immediately before the surgery. Let the pounds melt off!

Because I'm moving in just under a month (*gulp*), I'm going through and donating or throwing out a lot of things. My strong almost-18 daughter is doing all the lifting. I usually do organizing, decision making, and anything light. Today I started in on the kitchen. I figure it's a good time to pack the pantry because A) most things are expired and need to be tossed anyway, and B) there's stuff I can't eat in the next month (but can once I'm on bari regular after the move). My daughter pretty much only eats stuff from the fridge and freezer anyway. Feels good to be shedding kitchen weight along with my body weight. ;)

On 08/28/2022 at 14:31, Jennalulu said:

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone could help me out :) my surgery was done on the 17th of this month and im supposed to start my Multivitamins asap. My Multivitamin comes in a capsule form and opening the capsule and take it with clear liquid was a fail. Should there be a problem if i take the capsule as is?

You should be alright to take caplets. They started giving me medicine in caplets while I was still in the hospital.

On 08/28/2022 at 16:31, Jennalulu said:

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone could help me out :) my surgery was done on the 17th of this month and im supposed to start my Multivitamins asap. My Multivitamin comes in a capsule form and opening the capsule and take it with clear liquid was a fail. Should there be a problem if i take the capsule as is?

I looked it up because I haven’t had my follow up and it was one of the questions I meant to ask. Now I’m not a medical expert and I don’t believe in being an internet doctor but it might help you.

Here’s what I found.

“Can you take pills after gastric bypass?
Capsule, chewable and liquid medications can be taken immediately after surgery, but tablet medications need to be broken up or crushed for the first three months. This prevents medications from getting stuck in the digestive tract or not being fully absorbed.”

I think if you think you can tolerate it than you can probably take it. I took a 500mg Tylenol tablet last night and didn’t have an issue. (And I did not crush it because it was late at night and I didn’t even think about).

15 hours ago, Jennalulu said:

I have been taking capsules since I came home. Were you instructed to open them?

On 8/26/2022 at 3:54 PM, karakent said:

Oh my goodness I was watching some TV and drinking a Protein Shake and I definitely over did it. Too much, too fast. It was soooo painful. And I think I experienced my first instance of dumping. I’m telling you guys my entire system rejected that shake. I really hope that never ever happens again!

Ugh! I'm so sorry that happened. I've come close to that and fortunately caught it. But it was super close. It definitely does not feel good in any way! I have found that my nose begins to run when I'm getting full. Craziest thing ever!

Sorry I haven't been on much lately but I had a setback and have been really taking it easy. About my 5th post-op I kept getting really bad wrenching cramps in my abdomen under my incisions. They sent me for a CT scan with the blue contrast dye and all that fun stuff. Come to find out I had a gas bubble in my pouch. Plus they had given me heartburn medicine to take for a month, but the directions weren't clear so I had not been taking it. Come to find out that the omeprazole (sp) was there to help with any kind of gas and whether or not I had heartburn. Once I started taking that again, the cramps went away and I could heal.

I was so scared I had done something wrong and messed up my surgery. Definitely not fun! But I'm down almost 40 pounds since I started this journey. I had a NSV yesterday - I was able to walk up the stairs in my home without feeling winded! What kind of non-scale victories have you had recently? :D

8 minutes ago, I Am Enough! said:

Sorry I haven't been on much lately but I had a setback and have been really taking it easy. About my 5th post-op I kept getting really bad wrenching cramps in my abdomen under my incisions. They sent me for a CT scan with the blue contrast dye and all that fun stuff. Come to find out I had a gas bubble in my pouch. Plus they had given me heartburn medicine to take for a month, but the directions weren't clear so I had not been taking it. Come to find out that the omeprazole (sp) was there to help with any kind of gas and whether or not I had heartburn. Once I started taking that again, the cramps went away and I could heal.

I was so scared I had done something wrong and messed up my surgery. Definitely not fun! But I'm down almost 40 pounds since I started this journey. I had a NSV yesterday - I was able to walk up the stairs in my home without feeling winded! What kind of non-scale victories have you had recently? :D

Oh gosh! I'm so, so glad you're healing and taking it easy. What a scare.

And yay for the NSV of walking up the stairs!

I'm only 7 days post op and only 4 pounds under my pre-surgery weight (because I had lots of Water retention last week), but my victory is getting around easier, and (it might be my imagination) pants a bit less snug.

[eta: come to think of it, even though I only lost 4 lbs since surgery, I've lost 19 overall in the past 2.5 weeks, so that's significant enough to feel a difference]

Edited by suzecate

Good morning from overcast San Diego. :D I am officially 1 week post-op today. Things are going well. Tolerating pureed Soups, Protein Shakes well and hitting my Water goals. Moving quite a bit, too.

Today I'm allowed to drive myself, so I will not wake up my nocturnal almost-18 daughter to drive me to the auto repair shop where I have an early appointment. Speaking of which, I need to get going. No time to enjoy Soup, so I'll take a Protein Shake with me for Breakfast, then have soup in a few hours.

I was so scared I had done something wrong and messed up my surgery. Definitely not fun! But I'm down almost 40 pounds since I started this journey. I had a NSV yesterday - I was able to walk up the stairs in my home without feeling winded! What kind of non-scale victories have you had recently?
I'm so sorry you were having complications! At least they found out what it was and got you all fixed up!

Just checking in with the group! I'm 21 days post op today. I've lost 13 pounds since surgery and 30 pounds since my first appointment. I went for IV fluids today. I've been consistently getting 45 - 55 oz of fluids per day. I'm making an effort to get more Fluid, but was feeling tired the last few days. I get to start purees on Wednesday! Has anyone tried Malt-O-Meal on the puree stage?

4-week update*

I went in for labs last week. Today I found out I was low on Iron even with my supplement. The surgeon's assistant told me to double my dose and add Vitamin C. I also was told to lower my physical activity. I'm burning too much for what my body is taking in so it's causing my body to hold on to everything and stall out. She said once I start hitting 800 calories then I can go back to my normal walking routine (7,000-10,000 steps a day). I was pretty disheartened by that because I was ready to up my physical activity. I also got scolded for using laxatives and to only use stool softeners right now (I expected that).

I'm 43lbs down from my highest. 13.8 from my surgery.

4-week update*
I went in for labs last week. Today I found out I was low on Iron even with my supplement. The surgeon's assistant told me to double my dose and add Vitamin C. I also was told to lower my physical activity. I'm burning too much for what my body is taking in so it's causing my body to hold on to everything and stall out. She said once I start hitting 800 calories then I can go back to my normal walking routine (7,000-10,000 steps a day). I was pretty disheartened by that because I was ready to up my physical activity. I also got scolded for using laxatives and to only use stool softeners right now (I expected that).
I'm 43lbs down from my highest. 13.8 from my surgery.

At least you caught the low Iron right now before it gets any worse! Way to go on the exercise and the weight loss!

16 minutes ago, heartofmercury said:

At least you caught the low Iron right now before it gets any worse! Way to go on the exercise and the weight loss!

I was shocked when she told me about the Iron because I never miss taking my supplement and always make sure I take it right before bed. Vitamin C is to help absorb so hopefully no more concerns.

Thank you! Was feeling a little defeated but they are always super encouraging.

1 hour ago, heartofmercury said:

Just checking in with the group! I'm 21 days post op today. I've lost 13 pounds since surgery and 30 pounds since my first appointment. I went for IV fluids today. I've been consistently getting 45 - 55 oz of fluids per day. I'm making an effort to get more Fluid, but was feeling tired the last few days. I get to start purees on Wednesday! Has anyone tried Malt-O-Meal on the puree stage?

Thats awesome, congrats! I feel like I'm always pushing those final oz's at night. 😫

3 hours ago, I Am Enough! said:

I feel like they tend to drop the ball with the short-term aftercare information. I had no idea about the heartburn meds and never took mine either until my 3-week post-op apt My doctor encouraged me to keep taking them for the same reasons.

So glad ur doing good and congrats on your loss!

Non-scale victories... I feel like I have so much more energy than before. Any lower back pain I had before is totally gone. No more shin splints or fasciitis pains. I can def. tell my clothing is fitting loser and people are starting to notice the loss. I'm starting to gain my confidence back up as well.