Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August surgery buddies!

On 9/1/2022 at 12:02 AM, ShelbyGeorge29 said:

Hi folks, I'm new to this site. Gastric bypass on 8/23, doing really well so far. Gas pain really sucked but I'm past that, I'm up to the pureed stage. So far my pouch has tolerated 4 oz of pureed food quite well, no pain or obvious fullness so far. And I'm already able to drink lots of Water, easily getting 100+ oz in, plus 40 oz of herbal tea with no problems. Seems strange! And knocking Protein out of the park, easily hitting 100 g a day. I emailed my ND to get his feedback to see if that was too much.

I expected more restriction at this point. How's everyone else feeling restriction wise?

I didn't really feel that much restriction until I started eating actual food. For the first few days, I would sometimes have to throw up, because all of a sudden I would feel like I ate too much, even though I ate slowly, and then nausea would hit me. I still feel nauseated but I haven't had to throw up for more than a week.

You're doing great with the Protein. I've never managed more than 65 grams per day, but I cannot get the Protein Drinks or powder down.

21 hours ago, SHORTY_ said:

I had a meeting with my nutritionist today, She was super helpful with ideas I can start trying and encouraged me to do so. I've been kinda scared lately to eat, mostly because I don't like the way I feel after and the fear of overeating. She also confirmed what my PT doc. said yesterday and told me I was right on track where they expect to be in my weight loss.

I think I'm so scared of disappointing everyone it has just gotten to my head that I need to lose it all RIGHT NOW, haha.. This has been such a mental struggle and adjustment for me as I'm sure it is for all of you. I think each time I see my team I'm so shocked at how positive they are with this journey for me. That I just expect to be treated awful like I deserve it as a punishment for getting to where I am.

I continue to look forward to seeing all of our journies with this new tool we have 3mo, 6 mo, 1 yr + unfold.

You're doing great. 43 pounds is a lot!

I know what you mean about the disappointing people. though. I'm kind of frustrated myself, because I'm not seeing any weight loss this week. I started with 102.0 kilos last Saturday, and then went down to 101.3 on Monday, up to 102 again Tuesday, down again to 101.3 yesterday and up to 101.7 today. So, I've lost 300 grams this week, or less than one pound, which is basically nothing.

I'm a bit envious that you guys get to meet your doctors and nutritionists already. I had surgery on the 9th of August, and my first appointment is with a nurse on September 22nd. I can email the nurse and nutritionist in the meantime, but I don't get to see anyone. I have no idea if I'm where I'm supposed to be at in my weight loss or not.

Edited by Sunnyer

3 hours ago, Sunnyer said:

I didn't really feel that much restriction until I started eating actual food. For the first few days, I would sometimes have to throw up, because all of a sudden I would feel like I ate too much, even though I ate slowly, and then nausea would hit me. I still feel nauseated but I haven't had to throw up for more than a week.

You're doing great with the Protein. I've never managed more than 65 grams per day, but I cannot get the Protein Drinks or powder down.

I start everyday w 113 g fat free plain Greek yogurt w a scoop of Optimum Nutrition Protein powder, today I had banana flavor. I find it mixes in nicely.

I also enjoy sugar free pudding with a scoop of unflavored Isopure mixed in. Again, I can't taste the protein powder, but that's me.

Then I sip on Bone Broth, which I simmer w fresh herbs (strain off), 1 cup of that has 10 g protein.

Between the yogurt, pudding and broth I'm already to 70+ g of protein.

I move to soft foods next Tuesday, maybe then I'll start feeling more restriction.

Edited by ShelbyGeorge29

3 hours ago, Sunnyer said:

I know what you mean about the disappointing people. though. I'm kind of frustrated myself, because I'm not seeing any weight loss this week. I started with 102.0 kilos last Saturday, and then went down to 101.3 on Monday, up to 102 again Tuesday, down again to 101.3 yesterday and up to 101.7 today. So, I've lost 300 grams this week, or less than one pound, which is basically nothing.

I'm a bit envious that you guys get to meet your doctors and nutritionists already. I had surgery on the 9th of August, and my first appointment is with a nurse on September 22nd. I can email the nurse and nutritionist in the meantime, but I don't get to see anyone. I have no idea if I'm where I'm supposed to be at in my weight loss or not.

Wow, that's really not a lot of support from your bariatric team. Post here and we'll help!

5 hours ago, Sunnyer said:

I would take advantage of being able to email them. Just send them

your weight at

your pre-surgical apt. weight

day of surgery weight

todays weight

your daily calorie( include daily Protein & Water average)

an example of what you're eating

and your daily physical activity and see if they have any feedback for you.

Edited by SHORTY_

4 hours ago, ShelbyGeorge29 said:

I start everyday w 113 g fat free plain Greek yogurt w a scoop of Optimum Nutrition Protein powder, today I had banana flavor. I find it mixes in nicely.

I also enjoy sugar free pudding with a scoop of unflavored Isopure mixed in. Again, I can't taste the Protein Powder, but that's me.

Then I sip on Bone Broth, which I simmer w fresh herbs (strain off), 1 cup of that has 10 g Protein.

Between the yogurt, pudding and broth I'm already to 70+ g of protein.

I move to soft foods next Tuesday, maybe then I'll start feeling more restriction.

That sounds good. I tried greek yogurt, twice, but even though it was lactose free (i'm lactose intolerant) it didn't agree with me. Im fact, it didn't agree with me so much that I ended up throwing up and haven't tried it since.

I did buy some sugar free Jello and sugar free jello puddings, but unfortunately they are included in the many things that make me gag post surgery. I'd never tried the puddings before, but I had tried sugar free jello from time to time and found it ok, but now I absolutely can't. Same with protein puddings, just the smell makes me sick.

I thought I was done with vomiting, since I hadn't done so in a week, but tonight I did again. All I had was a soft boiled egg. I've had scrambled eggs plenty of times before and it was always ok, so I thought I could try soft boiled. I hadn't even finished half the egg when I had to throw up.

Feeling kind of defeated tonight, but I guess I'll email the nurse again for advice.

Edited by Sunnyer

I started the soft food phase this morning and I have never been that fond of eggs, but the scrambled ones I had this morning were SO GOOD. First semi solid food I’ve had and it was nice to chew something again! I probably ate 1.5 eggs and seem to be doing fine.

On 09/03/2022 at 06:34, Emilyjaguar said:

Im 3 weeks post op and yall I am dying for COFFEE!!!! Has anyone drank any? What would happen if i do

I had a PSL the other day as a small treat. I got a single pump instead of two and got it Decaf with fat free milk. It was definitely a nice treat but I only drank about 1/3 of it before I just couldn’t drink anymore lol. Pretty sure we can have coffee as long as it is decaf with no sugar in it.

57 minutes ago, Denise7M7 said:

I started the soft food phase this morning and I have never been that fond of eggs, but the scrambled ones I had this morning were SO GOOD. First semi solid food I’ve had and it was nice to chew something again! I probably ate 1.5 eggs and seem to be doing fine.

That's awesome!

I'm really looking forward to the soft phase (I start Monday), but then I love scrambled eggs. I put in an Instacart order this morning for various soft fruit, veggies to steam and mash, low-fat soft cheese, eggs, and ingredients to make vegetarian versions of the curry chicken salad and classic tuna salad recipes from The Gastric Sleeve Cookbook.

Good morning! It has been a few days since my last update. I've been stalled at the same weight for the last 3-4 mornings, but I'm not worried--it'll show up eventually.

As I mentioned in my reply above, I get to move to phase 3 (soft) in 2 days! Everything is going well with phase 2, and I've followed instructions.

The other day, I went to visit my primary for an eval. Incisions look good. My BP was 128/80 (an 80-point improvement over immediately post-surgery), so it's being controlled by meds, though I'll keep a close eye on my BP with my home cuff so I can alert her when to cut back on my meds.

19 hours ago, Sunnyer said:

That sounds good. I tried greek yogurt, twice, but even though it was lactose free (i'm lactose intolerant) it didn't agree with me. Im fact, it didn't agree with me so much that I ended up throwing up and haven't tried it since.

I did buy some sugar free Jello and sugar free Jello puddings, but unfortunately they are included in the many things that make me gag post surgery. I'd never tried the puddings before, but I had tried sugar free jello from time to time and found it ok, but now I absolutely can't. Same with Protein puddings, just the smell makes me sick.

I thought I was done with vomiting, since I hadn't done so in a week, but tonight I did again. All I had was a soft boiled egg. I've had scrambled eggs plenty of times before and it was always ok, so I thought I could try soft boiled. I hadn't even finished half the egg when I had to throw up.

Feeling kind of defeated tonight, but I guess I'll email the nurse again for advice.

Wow, that sounds terrible! I've been fortunate to have no nausea PO.

Can you tolerate cream Soups? I crammed some good protein in w Isopure plain Protein Powder. To add plain protein powder, you need to mix with the powder w a tiny bit of cool Soup until dissolved, then you can add to hot soup. It clumps really grossly if added straight to hot liquid.

I'm a little afraid to try eggs, people have so many issues with them. I might be brave today.

Let's hope your bariatric team comes up with something. Sorry to hear you're struggling so much.

Edited by ShelbyGeorge29

4 hours ago, Emilyjaguar said:

Im 3 weeks post op and yall I am dying for COFFEE!!!! Has anyone drank any? What would happen if i do

My program wants us to wait a year on coffee. It seems from groups online there's lots of people that drink a ton of it.

I have read that it can cause or exacerbate ulcers years down the road. There's a woman on FB who posted about how she didn't take her Vitamins, kept smoking, drank coffee, etc. and was fine until 5ish years later she had ulcers explode and a bunch of debilitating and disabling health issues, to the point of being on a feeding tube, in a wheelchair with a stoma bag fortherest ofher life. Lost a foot too. Scared the crap out of me!

For me, since I haven't had any coffee in a month I'm going to stick to my herbal Decaf tea. It's crazy to me bc I was a huge black coffee/espresso drinker.

Does your program say what they recommend on coffee?

1 hour ago, ShelbyGeorge29 said:

My program wants us to wait a year on coffee. It seems from groups online there's lots of people that drink a ton of it.

I have read that it can cause or exacerbate ulcers years down the road. There's a woman on FB who posted about how she didn't take her Vitamins, kept smoking, drank coffee, etc. and was fine until 5ish years later she had ulcers explode and a bunch of debilitating and disabling health issues, to the point of being on a feeding tube, in a wheelchair with a stoma bag fortherest ofher life. Lost a foot too. Scared the crap out of me!

For me, since I haven't had any coffee in a month I'm going to stick to my herbal Decaf tea. It's crazy to me bc I was a huge black coffee/espresso drinker.

Does your program say what they recommend on coffee?

My doctor is okay with coffee, but I tried it and it didn't taste good to me. I'm having a 1/2 cup of black tea in the morning, plus herbal tea other times and it seems fine. I do eyeing my espresso maker, like baby, I'll be back someday!