Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First day of purée diet

What’ should I do if I experience nausea after first day of purée diet?

There are so many reasons why you may have experienced nausea, could be what you ate, could be acid reflux, could be you ate too fast, could be you ate too much, etc etc.

What did eat that made you feel sick? How much did you eat? Are you taking acid reducing medication? How much Fluid did you drink around the time of eating? How long did it take to eat your meal? Was it every meal or just one?

So little information from you to help with your query. So many questions we have to be able to may be able to help you.

Were you already having nausea? Are you eating too quickly? Is the food not pureed enough? Lots of reasons. See how long it lasts when you change things up.

it could also just be that your stomach isn't quite ready to progress with the diet yet. You could try again in a couple more days.

On 04/12/2022 at 07:16, Hop_Scotch said:

There are so many reasons why you may have experienced nausea, could be what you ate, could be acid reflux, could be you ate too fast, could be you ate too much, etc etc.

What did eat that made you feel sick? How much did you eat? Are you taking acid reducing medication? How much Fluid did you drink around the time of eating? How long did it take to eat your meal? Was it every meal or just one?

So little information from you to help with your query. So many questions we have to be able to may be able to help you.

I didn’t have anything to drink before, it was Breakfast. I had 2 tablespoons of scrambled eggs which took me about an hour to finish. I’m not on any medication and I had no issues with nausea before.

Egg is a difficult thing to master for many of us. I can only do one egg, boiled and smashed with mayo. Leave it for a while and try something different like Protein yogurt for breakfast.. You are very early in your journey. Take it a day at a time and go back a stage if you need to.

many people find that eggs make them nauseous after surgery. Try something else like Greek yogurt, refried Beans, tuna with lots of mayo, etc. Eggs are tricky. Good luck!

3 hours ago, carolinac413 said:

I had 2 tablespoons of scrambled eggs

I mean firstly....that's not purée. And second, eggs are tough for many as others have mentioned. Try a smooth, blended vegetable soon. No Protein powder! Just some simple vegetables, blended to a smooth cream.

9 minutes ago, Pollito said:

I mean firstly....that's not purée. And second, eggs are tough for many as others have mentioned. Try a smooth, blended vegetable soon. No Protein powder! Just some simple vegetables, blended to a smooth cream.

My surgery center permitted us scrambled eggs as our first solids. Many centers consider them equivalent to purees. And why not Protein Powder?

18 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

And why not Protein Powder?

Because the person is already experiencing nausea. The food needs to start off being simple, smooth and plain. There seems to be a febrile rush to ram Protein into oneself as soon as humanly possible: you don't need protein for a week or two, it's a long term thing.

And if the stage is smooth purées, scrambled eggs aren't - just one of the myriad things these surgeons appear not to know.

Edit: rule of thumb - if it stands up by itself, it's de facto not a purée.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Pollito said:

Because the person is already experiencing nausea. The food needs to start off being simple, smooth and plain. There seems to be a febrile rush to ram Protein into oneself as soon as humanly possible: you don't need Protein for a week or two, it's a long term thing.

And if the stage is smooth purées, scrambled eggs aren't - just one of the myriad things these surgeons appear not to know.

Edit: rule of thumb - if it stands up by itself, it's de facto not a purée.

I don't know how to say this, but you come across in many of your posts as very forceful and almost like you're ordering people to do things. You are not their doctor. You do not know everything. Try to remember what you are offering is nothing more than your opinion. While from a physics standpoint, eggs are not a puree, from a mechanical foods perspective, they essentially are.

And yes, it is true that we don't need to worry about protein too much for the first few weeks, that doesn't mean that we SHOULDN'T eat protein powder.

3 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

I don't know how to say this, but you come across in many of your posts as very forceful and almost like you're ordering people to do things. You are not their doctor. You do not know everything. Try to remember what you are offering is nothing more than your opinion. While from a physics standpoint, eggs are not a puree, from a mechanical foods perspective, they essentially are.

And yes, it is true that we don't need to worry about Protein too much for the first few weeks, that doesn't mean that we SHOULDN'T eat Protein Powder.

I know nothing! And especially about medicine. But a child could look at the below two pictures and tell you which was more similar in texture to the Protein Shakes from the previous stage. Search the forum for scrambled eggs and tell me how many people have had issues with them. Maybe some of these surgeons should. And no, a medical degree doesn't qualify a surgeon to issue pronouncements on which foods are liquid. I didn't issue a pronouncement - the OP had already said they had issues with eggs. But don't worry, I'll stay quiet and wait for the next person to hit 3 weeks and start choking on eggs because that's what was written on their little piece of paper.

root-vegetable-soup-4.jpg

image.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Pollito said:

I know nothing! And especially about medicine. But a child could look at the below two pictures and tell you which was more similar in texture to the Protein Shakes from the previous stage. Search the forum for scrambled eggs and tell me how many people have had issues with them. Maybe some of these surgeons should. And no, a medical degree doesn't qualify a surgeon to issue pronouncements on which foods are liquid. I didn't issue a pronouncement - the OP had already said they had issues with eggs. But don't worry, I'll stay quiet and wait for the next person to hit 3 weeks and start choking on eggs because that's what was written on their little piece of paper.

root-vegetable-soup-4.jpg

image.jpeg

You just said you know nothing about medicine. That's my point. As I said, eggs are not purees per a "physics" definition, but per a MEDICAL NUTRITION THERAPY definition, they are. The reason we are told to eat or not eat certain food after surgery has to do with how they behave AFTER we've chewed them and how they interact with our digestive tract. And the reason we have to be careful is NOT because we might "choke" but because they could irritate our staple line. Most surgery centers don't feel that eggs will irritate your staple line, so they are just as good as refried Beans or any other puree.

BTW, the OP didn't say she choked - she said she was nauseous. That has NOTHING to do with whether it's a puree. Eggs are just funky.

5 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

You just said you know nothing about medicine

Absolutely. Eat eggs! They are obviously eminently suitable for week three after surgery because surgeons say so, so while you're having a traumatic car park vomiting session after eating scrambled eggs think to yourself: are you a bariatric surgeon? Indeed not! Perhaps you aren't even vomiting and it was all a dream

I ate eggs two weeks out with no issues. People tolerate different things. Eggs will not hurt your suture line. It doesn't mean you will tolerate them. Many people don't tolerate fluids after surgery, doesn't mean those aren't liquids. Just chill out and stop telling people what to do.