Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I created an account yesterday and I tried logging in the food today. Seems pretty straight forward and doable an option to keep an eye on your daily intake. Plus it has a voice recording to record your menu without having to type it out and pretty accurate at that.

Question - Is this App sustainable long term? Is it free to use without having to pay?

How has your experience been on the App? Does it have any downside? If not, I think I have found the app to use during my journey.

I think *My fitness Pal* app is paid after a trial version last time I remember using it.

MFP does have a free option but its not the full version as per the paid subscription.

I guess with the free options we have to accept reduced services and/or advertising...but adblockers can work well to reduce the ads.

Can't help with the baristatic app as I don't use it.

I can't speak to the Baritastic app, but I've been using the free version of MyFitnessPal for almost two years, so yes, it is sustainable, and you don't have to get the paid version.

Baritastic does not have a paywall. What you see is what you get. I was a long time MFP user and made the switch because Baritastic is linked to my surgeon's office. They can review my food journals, weight, measurements, etc. Makes getting feedback/answering questions very easy.

That aside, I think its just about on par with the free version of MFP. You can set individual macro goals, create meals, input recipes, etc. There are far fewer ads, which I appreciate, though I do think the food info database is slightly less comprehensive. But even still, I've been able to find suitable entries for nearly all foods, having had to submit manually only once or twice. I like that it is a "one stop shop" for weight loss stuff; I don't have to keep other apps for measurements, Vitamins, etc. Its tailored well for WLS patients, and has less of the junk that MFP has that I never used anyway.

I was a long time MFP user, free version. Their database seems endless and most of the time much easier to enter foods. I have had to manually enter things and doing a recipe is slightly less user friendly on Baritastic. That being said I’ve now made the switch. I found that the icons with the macro goals, etc are easier to see at a glance. With MFP if I want to see total Protein etc it’s several clicks to find that. I need something that’s in my face and easy to see so I can stay on track. So that’s my rationale for switching. There is my macros app too that I know people use but the database is slim and it was not as user friendly

I use the upgraded (paid) version of Lose It.

I've been using the Baritastic app for 8 months. it is free and very comprehensive.

Among other things, it can figure out the calorie/nutrition data per serving if you input a recipe You can track your mood, feelings of hunger, number of bowel movements, journalling, timers for a variety of things, all in addition to daily food and Vitamin intake. If you plan meals ahead, you can input them into future dates. You can also copy items from one day and insert them into the current or future date.

I almost always have it open on my phone and use more often than any other app. I intend to keep using it

I used Baritastic religiously for 18 months. It's - as the name says it - fantastic! Completely free, great customer service whenever there was a glitch, easy to use. Stick with it.

I use the free version of loose it. But this info is good to know.

10 hours ago, dms75 said:

I used Baritastic religiously for 18 months. It's - as the name says it - fantastic! Completely free, great customer service whenever there was a glitch, easy to use. Stick with it.

Does it have an option to share food journals with the dietician or others? As in share it via email?

I switched to baritastic after my old app (SparkPeople) shut down and switched to spark America and didn’t allow for tracking. I miss being able to track more Vitamins and minerals, especially with a Vitamin D deficiency. I’ve never like the MFP interface so I only used it for like a week, while I’ve used the baritastic app for several months at this point, even while on maintenance to keep track of what I can.

8 hours ago, DaisyAndSunshine said:

Does it have an option to share food journals with the dietician or others? As in share it via email?

If your surgeon participates, they can get a code and you can link your account to them so they have access to all your information directly. If not, there is a report function that will email you a .pdf of weight, steps, and some very detailed nutrition data, including about a week of daily logs.

14 hours ago, DaisyAndSunshine said:

Yes, you can email and print reports and food logs.