Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m riding the struggle bus.

So I had surgery 5/18/2020 and my highest weight was 248, 238 before surgery and 191 as of tonight. I feel like I’m not doing as good as I thought I would. I feel like I was loosing a lot but the further out I get the less I’m loosing and I get discouraged and loose motivation. Please I need some advice/encouragement from others.

my biggest issue is breakfast. I’m tired of Protein Shakes, I don’t like hard boiled eggs and I cannot find a Protein Bar that I like. I’ve tried the new Built Bar “coconut chocolate” and a few Quest bars. The problem is I like crunchy and everything I have tried is soft. I’m feeling super discouraged and I was to get out of this rut!

I am 22 months post-op & I had a mini gastric bypass. Hang in there it gets better. I had my doubts along the way but stuck with it & gave myself permission to admit it and then jumped back into it Keep looking for a Protein Shake you like, there's one out there. Not sure where you live but i found the only one i can still drink is Shamrock Farms rocking Protein, 190 calories & 30 grams of protein. The chocolate one tastes just like chocolate milk. When I'm looking for a crunch & something sweet i eat a FitCrunch bar by Chef Robert Irvine. They are 190 calories & 16 grams of protein and they taste like a candy bar!!! I know not a breakfast item but a great protein snsck for your calorie buck another great crunch item, also later in the day is Quest protein chips. You've got this! You're doing great and you will hit your goal. Please be patient with yourself, you didn't gain weight overnight. you're a beautiful work in progress

It has taken me 22 months to lose 133 pounds & it was so worth it.

4 hours ago, Kristi schumann said:

So I had surgery 5/18/2020 and my highest weight was 248, 238 before surgery and 191 as of tonight. I feel like I’m not doing as good as I thought I would. I feel like I was loosing a lot but the further out I get the less I’m loosing and I get discouraged and loose motivation. Please I need some advice/encouragement from others.

my biggest issue is Breakfast. I’m tired of Protein Shakes, I don’t like hard boiled eggs and I cannot find a Protein Bar that I like. I’ve tried the new Built Bar “coconut chocolate” and a few Quest bars. The problem is I like crunchy and everything I have tried is soft. I’m feeling super discouraged and I was to get out of this rut!

Take a look online and in the BariatricPal Store for crunchy alternatives.

Also there are many more food options than just Protein Shakes, bars and hard boil eggs

Perhaps contact your Team/dietician/nutritionist for more meal ideas or search on the internet

My favorite Protein Bars are the Power Crunch brand. They're a little high in calories and fat, but I only have one a day and I LOVE them! They're wafer like bars and are deliciously crunchy and 13 grams of Protein. The triple chocolate is 205 calories with 13 grams of fat (high I know, but I eat low to no fat in everything else so my nutritionist okayed it) while the Peanut Butter fudge one is 215 calories with 13 grams of fat and the chocolate mint is 220 calories with 14 grams of fat (the carbs are 10, 12, and 11 respectively).

You don’t have to eat typical breakfast foods. Can eat leftover dinner. Or lox- salmon. You can put on cauliflower wraps if you don’t want to eat it alone. Do you like cottage cheese? Can be mixed with sugar free jams. I put “Everything” seasoning in it. Make version of avocado toast again using cauliflower wrap. Don’t limit yourself to just breakfast foods. Switch it around. Good luck!

7 hours ago, Kristi schumann said:

my biggest issue is Breakfast. I’m tired of Protein Shakes, I don’t like hard boiled eggs and I cannot find a Protein Bar that I like. I’ve tried the new Built Bar “coconut chocolate” and a few Quest bars. The problem is I like crunchy and everything I have tried is soft. I’m feeling super discouraged and I was to get out of this rut!

I agree with @Meadow76, you don't have to eat Breakfast food for breakfast. You can eat anything that appeals to you and on plan. (Lifelong breakfast hater here)

Secondly, you have lost 47 lbs in 3.5 months? Why would that make you discouraged and lose motivation? That is a huge amount of weight in a short amount of time.

your rate of weight loss is fine. Not sure why you're thinking that's not enough (???).

So true. Almost 50 lbs in 3+ months! That’s terrific! Remember not to compare with others. My Journey has been up & down. But bottom line is I’m 120 lbs down with 20 to go. My health has never been better. Im 66 years old with life long weight issues.
ive been stuck on 1 # for 6 weeks. This week going to try reset to hopefully get closer to goal & then maintain. It’s all about adaptability within plan to find what works for you.

I think this may sound super simple BUT my best advice for you is to go back to the basics, Nobody says you have to have any particular food for breakfast. I would just start looking up recipies and meal ideas for postop gastric patients and begin there. Decide on the types of desires you have in the morning, salty, crunchy, sweet, savory whatever it is and try to fill that with new recipie ideas to try. I think its important not to put ourselves in a tiny box where food is concerned. The main reason for a lot of weight stalls and failures with wls is boredom with food choices, feeling like were deprived and in food jail. My counselor (Im a food addict) says to start with what Im craving, then find the healthy alternative to that food that fits into my dietary needs and goals. I think once you're introducing new healthy recipies keeping with your portion guidelines your will see the scale moving again too. I have a lifetime of experience at losing more weight when I eat healthier foods more often throughout the day 4 tiny meals than I did by starving myself and eating once a day what tasted like cardboard. We have to enjoy the flavors in our foods in order for this to work for us, I know that already at 8 days postop lol. I have a pile of recipies I cannot wait to try once I'm allowed! For now I get creative with different broths and gastric protien Soups & drinks. Best wishes! Don't let it get you down! This is an easy problem to fix!