Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 09/26/2020 at 13:18, summerset said:

Yeah, why not do the right thing and simply "stick to the program"?

1) She thought it would be fun and perfectly ok to eat an egg mcmuffin that early out.

2) She wanted to sabotage her success on purpose.

3) Disordered eating got the better of her.

I opt for number 3!

Stop being so damn self-righteous about this!

I stick to my program and am seeing results. If you want to pat people on the back and say “you ate something pretty bad..but it’s ok” ... that’s called enabling. If you want to enable people go for it..but your just hurting them in the end. Seems to me the OP knew it was wrong to eat it but came here to get approval to defend her decision by asking “Is it ok”..and of course you have people saying “sure it is” or “it could be worse”. But hey...people spend there thousands of $ just to screw up and have people tell them it’s ok..go for it 🤷‍♂️

On 09/26/2020 at 13:58, tarotcardreader said:

Its not the first time ive seen it on here. Still amazes me that people can get it down

I agree...you notice no one ever says I got hungry and at a can of chicken or tuna (which is pretty much ALL protein)? They always go for the WORST possible choices, and almost always eat something with bread 🤦‍♂️

33 minutes ago, Scooterbugg said:

I agree...you notice no one ever says I got hungry and at a can of chicken or tuna (which is pretty much ALL protein)? They always go for the WORST possible choices, and almost always eat something with bread 🤦‍♂️

Thats true 😆

2 hours ago, summerset said:

Yeah, why not do the right thing and simply "stick to the program"?

1) She thought it would be fun and perfectly ok to eat an egg mcmuffin that early out.

2) She wanted to sabotage her success on purpose.

3) Disordered eating got the better of her.

I opt for number 3!

Stop being so damn self-righteous about this!

Just as a point of clarification: she didn’t eat an Egg McMuffin (which was what I though at first). She said egg muffin and from the picture that she posted, it looks like she made a baked scrambled egg bite using a muffin tin. So, if that is the case, it’s certainly a better thing than an actual egg McMuffin, but still not the best option for 6 days post-op when the stomach is still healing.

I remember going to my 1 month follow-up. I was still my my 6 weeks of pureed food. The morning of the appointment, I was a little rushed so I took a bite of a banana, chewed thoroughly, and everything went swimmingly. In fact, I was so proud that I told my doc.

I don't remember the exact words of the lecture I received. It as a scathing rebuke of me thinking I knew more about his surgery than he did. He explored my deficits both moral and intellectual. He made it clear that MY decisions got me to needing surgery. What in the blue hell made me think my opinion about the plan was the way to go at this point. That if I can't follow simple rules I will fail both fantastically and completely.

As I said, I don't remember the words, but I got the message loud and clear. Follow the damn rules. Darned if it didn't turn out Doc was right.

So, let's look at the rules the OP not only broke but demolished:

1) During puree stage, EATING a Breakfast sandwich. Why not puree it first? Then you would at least be within that rule;

2) Were the actual foods on your plan? 2 slices of bread? Really?

3) Taking 2 hours to eat it. This is not eating a meal this is like climbing Everest. You were set on conquering this breakfast sandwich regardless of cost. This is the fast track to not losing weight, and in fact, gaining it back quickly;

Tell the Doc about this post. Maybe he can include it in future documentation on "How not to do it."

It's STILL not too late. *IF* you take the following steps:

1) Talk to your Doc about this 'achievement';

2) Get thee to a mental health professional. Get help.

3) Get back to and stay on plan.

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

47 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

So, let's look at the rules the OP not only broke but demolished:

1) During puree stage, EATING a Breakfast sandwich. Why not puree it first? Then you would at least be within that rule;

2) Were the actual foods on your plan? 2 slices of bread? Really?

3) Taking 2 hours to eat it. This is not eating a meal this is like climbing Everest.

You must’ve missed the first reply which was a picture of what the OP actually ate- an egg muffin or baked egg cup. Lots of people missed that fact because the picture wasn’t in the original post.

Turns out you also missed the OP’s reply that she felt terrible after and was in pain but also planned on texting the surgeon to discuss what happened.

Berating her and telling her she needs therapy isn’t going to help, just like the enabling won’t. Compassion and empathy go a long way. We were all new to post-op at one point and nothing you can do will truly prepare you for it. Take a deep breath and realize the OP learned a valuable lesson from this.

1 hour ago, Starwarsandcupcakes said:

You must’ve missed the first reply which was a picture of what the OP actually ate- an egg muffin or baked egg cup. Lots of people missed that fact because the picture wasn’t in the original post.

Turns out you also missed the OP’s reply that she felt terrible after and was in pain but also planned on texting the surgeon to discuss what happened.

Berating her and telling her she needs therapy isn’t going to help, just like the enabling won’t. Compassion and empathy go a long way. We were all new to post-op at one point and nothing you can do will truly prepare you for it. Take a deep breath and realize the OP learned a valuable lesson from this.

First, you dropped my entire post except what she did wrong. That is an interesting choice. It tells me that you, at least, have an issue with an honest appraisal of our actions. You apparently prefer the "oh, there there, you poor thing" approach. You dropped the action items she could take to actually help.

I saw the picture, and it appeared to be a mostly eaten thing.

We each have different approaches to life. This is a message board where one of the main functions is to explore those different perceptions and approaches.

Honestly, how do YOU know she learned a lesson? And what lesson do you suppose she learned? You don't know. I don't know. She may not know. She certainly didn't indicate what she learned. Nothing indicating how this might affect her future.

Sure, she felt terrible. I heard regret that she got sick. I didn't read regret about breaking the rules. I didn't see a plan for not repeating the same 'mistake.'

Telling her to talk frankly to her Doc is not out of place, I'm heartily rejoicing that she plans to do just that.

Suggesting mental health help is by no means out of line. I'm shocked that you so boldly declare such as not helpful. That is pure and simple amazing of you.

Telling her to get back on plan and stay on plan, well, you're right. It's pure and simple evil of me to even suggest this.

When I made greater and lesser errors, they weren't things I needed sympathy for as if it happened to me. I didn't except nor want people making excuses for me. I expected honesty. They were things I screwed up, things I did to me all by myself. Things for which I had to take responsibility.

I enjoyed your giving me your honest perceptions. Interestingly, why don't I deserve the whole compassion and empathy thing? It's OK, I know why.

Keep up the good work,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

15 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

First, you dropped my entire post except what she did wrong. That is an interesting choice. It tells me that you, at least, have an issue with an honest appraisal of our actions. You apparently prefer the "oh, there there, you poor thing" approach. You dropped the action items she could take to actually help.

I saw the picture, and it appeared to be a mostly eaten thing.

We each have different approaches to life. This is a message board where one of the main functions is to explore those different perceptions and approaches.

Honestly, how do YOU know she learned a lesson? And what lesson do you suppose she learned? You don't know. I don't know. She may not know. She certainly didn't indicate what she learned. Nothing indicating how this might affect her future.

Sure, she felt terrible. I heard regret that she got sick. I didn't read regret about breaking the rules. I didn't see a plan for not repeating the same 'mistake.'

Telling her to talk frankly to her Doc is not out of place, I'm heartily rejoicing that she plans to do just that.

Suggesting mental health help is by no means out of line. I'm shocked that you so boldly declare such as not helpful. That is pure and simple amazing of you.

Telling her to get back on plan and stay on plan, well, you're right. It's pure and simple evil of me to even suggest this.

When I made greater and lesser errors, they weren't things I needed sympathy for as if it happened to me. I didn't except nor want people making excuses for me. I expected honestly. They were things I screwed up, things I did to me all by myself. Things for which I had to take responsibility.

I enjoyed your giving me your honest perceptions. Interestingly, why don't I deserve the whole compassion and empathy thing? It's OK, I know why.

Keep up the good work,

Tek

The OP explained much about the situation that led to her decision in this follow up post. She states that her doctor has not actually set her on any kind of a plan. She states that she had not yet had not had an appointment with a dietician and was looking forward to the appointment she had later that week with one so that she could have a guided plan to work from. The OP also stated that she used the feedback and advice given to adjust her habits and stick to pureed foods. OP also stated that she began to write down a schedule of her meals and to specifically focus on Protein for Snacks and meals. The OP's post was made over a month ago and I'm not really sure why it got resurrected. OP's meal in that post did not involve "2 slices of bread".

On 09/26/2020 at 17:43, Pandemonium said:

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/433323-eating-egg-muffin-at-6-days-post-op/?tab=comments&comment=4882026&embedComment=4882026&embedDo=findComment#comment-4882026

The OP explained much about the situation that led to her decision in this follow up post. She states that her doctor has not actually set her on any kind of a plan. She states that she had not yet had not had an appointment with a dietician and was looking forward to the appointment she had later that week with one so that she could have a guided plan to work from. The OP also stated that she used the feedback and advice given to adjust her habits and stick to pureed foods. OP also stated that she began to write down a schedule of her meals and to specifically focus on Protein for Snacks and meals. The OP's post was made over a month ago and I'm not really sure why it got resurrected. OP's meal in that post did not involve "2 slices of bread".

So you really believe that the OP’s surgeon...preformed surgery, without them being aware of WHAT they could eat after surgery?? You believe the OP never had to talk to a dietician BEFORE surgery and was made aware of what she was able to eat after surgery?? You believe the OP was discharged from the hospital with NO instructions on how to eat or paperwork outlining their diet??? You’re kidding me right??? As far as this post being “resurrected”... until your a mod and van lock posts..it’s not really your concern who comments on “old” posts.

2 minutes ago, Scooterbugg said:

So you really believe that the OP’s surgeon...preformed surgery, without them being aware of WHAT they could eat after surgery?? You believe the OP never had to talk to a dietician BEFORE surgery and was made aware of what she was able to eat after surgery?? You believe the OP was discharged from the hospital with NO instructions on how to eat or paperwork outlining their diet??? You’re kidding me right??? As far as this post being “resurrected”... until your a mod and van lock posts..it’s not really your concern who comments on “old” posts.

Considering there are numerous people on these forums who've traveled to Mexico and paid for their surgeries out of pocket, thus not having to deal with insurance requirements or program requirements, yes. There are people who have had WLS and not met with a dietician pre or post-op. There are people who do not get detailed post-op diet instruction from a WLS team. Not all surgeons or programs are created equal. Some are very strict. Some are more lax. I take the OP at her word that her program was more lax and led to her trying to sate her hunger with a muffin tin egg fritatta bite (not an Egg McMuffin as some wrongly assumed).

Best of luck with your continued post-op recovery!

2 minutes ago, Pandemonium said:

I noticed it was old, and tried focus more on the more recent, only read the first 3 or so on the first page. The short cut cost me this time.

I had no better word to describe the top as bread, and could only imagine what the whole thing looked like. Bread-like substance? I'll accept that my flippant "2 slices of bread" description was flippant. I still have no better description looking back at it now.

I have a hard time believing that she did not receive ANY guidance. As I've said before, I've been in sessions where people came out with the exact wrong impressions of what to do. Others were just in a daze and overwhelmed. So, my biases force me to take such with a huge grain of salt.

It's hard to believe that any practice would be this criminally negligent. I'm finding it difficult to even accept it as something that must have happened somewhere to someone, though undoubtedly it has.

If the OP is the mythical unicorn, then I probably would have stayed my hand and just let it go.

OP's posting history indicates she had her surgery within USA (see link below) looks like there was likely to be a full program. Perhaps things were missed because of scaled down services due to covid restrictions.

https://www.nycbariatrics.com/prepare-for-surgery

https://www.nycbariatrics.com/the-mmibs-difference

1 minute ago, The Greater Fool said:

I noticed it was old, and tried focus more on the more recent, only read the first 3 or so on the first page. The short cut cost me this time.

I had no better word to describe the top as bread, and could only imagine what the whole thing looked like. Bread-like substance? I'll accept that my flippant "2 slices of bread" description was flippant. I still have no better description looking back at it now.

I have a hard time believing that she did not receive ANY guidance. As I've said before, I've been in sessions where people came out with the exact wrong impressions of what to do. Others were just in a daze and overwhelmed. So, my biases force me to take such with a huge grain of salt.

It's hard to believe that any practice would be this criminally negligent. I'm finding it difficult to even accept it as something that must have happened somewhere to someone, though undoubtedly it has.

If the OP is the mythical unicorn, then I probably would have stayed my hand and just let it go.

Having made those fritatta bites before, they can get overcooked really easily and when it happens, they do dry out a bit and the egg loses the custardy quality that you're aiming for, and can sometimes have that bready texture because the moisture has fled the scene. They're still tasty, but I can't even imagine being able to comfortably eat an overcooked one 6 days out from surgery. A well-made egg muffin bite, though, is delicious and a great way to get some Protein, but not really until the soft food stage.

5 minutes ago, Hop_Scotch said:

OP's posting history indicates she had her surgery within USA (see link below) looks like there was likely to be a full program. Perhaps things were missed because of scaled down services due to covid restrictions.

https://www.nycbariatrics.com/prepare-for-surgery

https://www.nycbariatrics.com/the-mmibs-difference

Thank you very much for posting this info!

I found COVID definitely had a major impact on my weight loss program. I was supposed to attend 10 education classes. Only got to do 2 of them before the classes were canceled for the foreseeable future. Fortunately, being in the revision boat, I still had a lot of the knowledge from the first go-round. And my dietician visit was a 20 minute phone call where I pretty much just confirmed I was still on the original diet plan they dictated for me and that it was working as I was losing weight every week. So no changes were really needed. There's been a lot of other COVID related changes to my post-op plan that I'm finding annoying, but ultimately it is what it is and I'm making the best of it.

10 hours ago, Pandemonium said:

Just as a point of clarification: she didn’t eat an Egg McMuffin (which was what I though at first). She said egg muffin and from the picture that she posted, it looks like she made a baked scrambled egg bite using a muffin tin.

That doesn't really make a difference. The point is that people get flak for "eating off plan".

People "confess" here because they're scared. They know they're going to get flak, but they're scared. Scared, they did some damage. Scared to go to their doctors because it's worse being scolded at the doctor's office than on an internet board. Scared, that they already failed or that they already gambled with their future success and lost.

But most content of this thought train is catastrophizing bullshit.

Now while it's not great to eat "off plan" when being in the early healing phase it's nothing really uncommon. Just look at this board alone.

Giving people flak doesn't help them though. People need encouragement to get up again, dust themselves up and continue doing better than they did before. Self-righteousness and pointing out that you yourself "are sticking 110% to the plan" is helping no one but your own ego (not talking about you personally here, mind you).